Hypothetical Situation

Well, maybe not all that hypothetical since it's happened to me numerous times, and I never know how to answer...You're playing live and you're absolutely card dead for like an hour. I'm talking K2, Q3, 7 2, etc. You can't catch a hand if it had a handle.You finally wake up with KK utg, raise (as you're supposed to) and the entire table insta folds! They're calling you stuff like rock, premium hand player, tight, etc....How do you respond to situations like that? You want to play, but you also know that you need to play strong hands to be able to beat these donkeys with the trashy hands they chase with. Or if you go on a serious dry card run for an hour or more? What's the best way to be able to get action when you finally get a playable hand?

Before you get a playable hand, raise UTG, or reraise someone big, with junk. And, when they fold, you can show them junk.Then when you raise with AA or KK, they might reraise you, or put you on junk and call your raise. Then, they might assume that you're bluffing with a continuation bet and raise you.

How do you respond to situations like that?
Honestly?
You want to play, but you also know that you need to play strong hands to be able to beat these donkeys with the trashy hands they chase with. Or if you go on a serious dry card run for an hour or more?
Does it really seem logical to you that you have to tighten up against a bunch of loose donkeys?Think about it.Now as far as going truly card dead, that's just variance. You shoudl be able to steal a bit more though, esp if table is tightening up for you.
wtf is this thread about
- having periods of an hour with no good hands, IN LIVE PLAY- beating bad players, because it's hard to beat bad players. Because they are bad and win a lot. But wait, I thought winning a lot is good.yeah, I don't know.

If you're EP raises are getting to much respect, raise a few suited connectors or smallish pocket pairs every now and then from EP. All it takes is one showdown where you flop a big hand and show it to make anyone who's paying attention complete change your mind about your EP raising range for the next few hours.Also, bluff more.Otherwise, just keep playing well, and bludgeon the idiots into submission when you have a hand. Eventually you'll get hit with the deck and look like the table maniac for a few hours.When that happens, don't bluff.

Live straddle everytime.Also, drink and socialize.I'm a rock but very social plus w/ live straddle.I get action o'plenty.
this is an excellent reply. it illustrates something very important. there are more skills required to being a good poker player than just playing cards. at the risk of sounding like a retard, you gotta be a hustler.

I agree that its a good idea to talk it up and create a gambling environment, but dont live straddle unless you can convince everyone to do it.

Interesting idea with the raising with junk EP.I'm one of the 'regulars' at the B&M since I only play on Saturday mornings, there's usually only one game going at my limit, and we know each other's games pretty well. We do have a nice social game going on for the most part, always talking about work/families, etc.I do have the reputation for playing tight solid poker, so they know if I'm in a hand I got something.Don't know about the straddle thing though. Don't like giving money away blind. Maybe raising utg with suited connectors that have a chance at becoming something huge instead......?

Interesting idea with the raising with junk EP.I'm one of the 'regulars' at the B&M since I only play on Saturday mornings, there's usually only one game going at my limit, and we know each other's games pretty well. We do have a nice social game going on for the most part, always talking about work/families, etc.I do have the reputation for playing tight solid poker, so they know if I'm in a hand I got something.Don't know about the straddle thing though. Don't like giving money away blind. Maybe raising utg with suited connectors that have a chance at becoming something huge instead......?
there is a whole book about how to look like a retard playing lhe without sacrificing too much ev. its called play poker like a pigeon. i dont trust his math all that much, so you might want to take his specific examples with a grain of salt. but the general ideas are pretty neat. his main thing is to play suited trash in the bb for a raise in multiway pots. its not really that big of a mistake. things like maybe 85s. low cards. make sure you're not dominated. then do what all bad players do. hit two pair on the flop and check/call. then check raise the turn and bet the river. then do everything you can to draw attention to yourself without looking like you are. i think that if you developed an entire preflop strategy around limp reraising you would look like a complete moron and get people to put tons of money in bad. just another idea to throw out there.

Do you know the author of the book? I'd be interested in giving it a look.I've noticed, however, that as I've gotten better at this game, the poker gods aren't as generous to me with the 2 and 3 outers as they were when I first started playing! lolI'll try to use that advice once or twice when I play this Saturday. Seems I can never hit the hands I need, but the donks are getting slapped upside the head with the deck! Aggravating..... :club:

Do you know the author of the book? I'd be interested in giving it a look.I've noticed, however, that as I've gotten better at this game, the poker gods aren't as generous to me with the 2 and 3 outers as they were when I first started playing! lolI'll try to use that advice once or twice when I play this Saturday. Seems I can never hit the hands I need, but the donks are getting slapped upside the head with the deck! Aggravating..... :club:
the author is anonymous. the isbn is 0-8184-0718-2

All you have to do against loose donks that play everyhand is play good solid poker. Most wont notice if you dont play a hand for an hour so dont worry about getting tricky pf. Keep raising UTG with KK if they all fold so be it. You also need to realize that sometimes it doesnt take the nutz to win the hand. TP or 2nd pair is often good and sometimes you have to be confident in your read to call a guy down with just a pair of dueces and take the pot. While your sitting at the table dont get frustrated by all your folding and watch the other players, you'll figure out their play soon enough.

if you get bored you should learn to multi tablerun back and forth across the poker room trying to play as many tables as you can at once. Ask the dealers to beep for you when it's your turn.

Eh, ignore it and keep playing, table turnover will keep new blood coming in. I play at Wheeling Island in WV, one of the other regulars always harasses me about playing too tight (in reality, he's just a regular that plays too loose) I just chuckle, give him a hard time back and keep playing, because he and everyone else will keep calling. Also, sometimes you don't need to loosen up your cards, just loosen up your attitude. In small stakes games, the only time people notice you aren't playing hands is when you sit there dead silent while you aren't playing. If you just talk to people, they just assume you're in every hand like them, fish don't multi-task.