why does daniel play the big boys?

I've wondered this for a whileI was just playing on stars a 6 person no limit cash game .50 -1 blindsI win a 24 dollar pot off this guy and then slow played a flopped set of nines and lost about 30 to him when he rivered a gutshot straightAt first I was upset but then I realized - wow if this guy is calling five dollar bets on the turn with those odds - i'm going to have all of his money pretty soonI had A 10 suited raise preflop and bet all the way without inproving - he calls the whole way - no raises turns over a losing A 5 (note: I'm not saying I played this hand correctly) and then says "lol I knew you had nothing" - I said back "fine job"Two hands later he calls my all in with 4 spades on the board with the ten of spades - I had the ace - i'd taken 70 dollars from him since the suckout and he left and then so did i i realized it's all about playing against terrible playersI understand the need for challenge but what's the point of playing high stakes poker at the table with Doyle Brunson Phil Ivey and 6 other guys of that caliber? Why not just play the businessmen and tourists?

I don't think Daniel is playing primarily for the money when he plays in the bigger games, he plays to keep his game sharp against the best players around. If your beating up on tourists and rich businessmen all the time, your not going to be prepared to play against the best players in the big tournaments. Also, he says he wins in this game, so it's profitable for him as well.

Challenge factor._________________Good poker players don't have anything to prove. They're just trying to take each others' money.
heh kind of goes against your postscript doesnt it?

Mostly because squeaking out a big bet or 2 per session at the big game is more profitable than playing a game most people can afford and killing it. Also, dropping down a limit is tough to concentrate because I know when I go to play a 50 cent/$1, I play like crap cause its small limits relative to my bankroll. It's not exciting and pretty frustrating.

Challenge factor._________________Good poker players don't have anything to prove. They're just trying to take each others' money.
heh kind of goes against your postscript doesnt it?
True...I need a new sig, but inspiration hasn't hit me yet.It has to be a quotation from something at least vaguely related to poker

He can certainly afford to play at such a high level and he keeps saying in those WPT interviews that you have to play the game because you really love it, not just for the money. I don't think everyone thinks like him, but I do believe that he really feels that way about it. If that's the case, he'd get freakin' bored playing idiots regardless of the money they hand him. No fun.

Mostly because squeaking out a big bet or 2 per session at the big game is more profitable than playing a game most people can afford and killing it. Also, dropping down a limit is tough to concentrate because I know when I go to play a 50 cent/$1, I play like crap cause its small limits relative to my bankroll. It's not exciting and pretty frustrating.
Out of curiosity, did you ever make that $5000?

You always want to improve your poker game and playing against tougher opponents will help you improve your poker game and the best players in the world are in the world play 4000-8000. You should never settle at a level. You should always try to step up try the next level. If you fail, you should try again.

keith crime wrote: Quote: Challenge factor. _________________ Good poker players don't have anything to prove. They're just trying to take each others' money. heh kind of goes against your postscript doesnt it? True...I need a new sig, but inspiration hasn't hit me yet. It has to be a quotation from something at least vaguely related to poker
how bout - "if you don't see the sucker at the table ...." nah i'm really sick of that oneactually my favorite poker scene in a movie is in the Clooney Ocean's 11 where Brad Pitt is teaching all the Neo- Brat Packers how to play pokerhow about one of these[teaching poker to young Hollywood actors] Rusty: Shane, you've got three pairs. You can't have six cards! You can't have six cards in a five-card game! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Shane West: Hit me. Rusty: It's not blackjack. [teaching poker to young actors] Rusty: Barry, your turn. Barry Watson: Uh... four. Rusty: You don't want four. You want to fold. Barry Watson: I do? Is that a good thing? Shane West: Mr Ocean, what do you do? If you don't mind me asking. Danny: I don't mind you asking, I just got out of prison. I'll take two. Joshua Jackson: Why were you in prison? Danny: I stole stuff. Shane West: You stole stuff? Like jewels? Rusty: Incan matrimonial headmasks. Shane West: Is there a lot of money in that? Incan matrimonial Danny: Headmasks. There's some. Rusty: Don't let him fool you, there's boatloads. If you can move them. But you can't. I'll take two. Danny: My fence seemed confident enough. Rusty: Dealing in cash you don't need a fence. Danny: Some people lack vision. Rusty: Probably everybody on cell block E
You always want to improve your poker game and playing against tougher opponents will help you improve your poker game and the best players in the world are in the world play 4000-8000. You should never settle at a level. You should always try to step up try the next level. If you fail, you should try again.
Actually you should do whatever is the most profitable to you. Poker is about making money, period.

Got it.Same movie, better quote imo. Perfect for the world of online poker, even if it's about Draw poker.Trying again...Profile is being dumb atm...I gotta get to bed, Drs appointment tomorrow

you dont get better playing donkeys.
but and i guess this is arguabledoes danny need to get better?
Meh, I imagine he'd like to stay interested in poker for many many years. He's got to do something to hold his interest. He doesn't need to worry about his financial position, so there is no real advantage to taking money off fish.

Playing 4k-8k against the top players in the world isn't worth it, no matter how good you are. But I imagine that non-pros sit in the game for fun, and that some 1k-2k, and 2k-4k players muster up the bankroll and courage to sit in the game, and eventually find out that they're dead money in this game, and get knocked back down (and this is how all of the regulars in the big game make a living playing at it) . I'm sure that all of these guys keep detailed records, and none would continue to play in the game if they were losing money.

From what I've read/heard of Daniel, he plays in the big game for the challenge and for the money since he does make money in the big game (according to him).If he loves playing in the big game for the thrill and competition and he can make money doing it (only a few BBs is a huge amount of money) then I suppose it's a pretty good deal. The risk vs. reward is probably not worth it, in my opinion, however.I know people like Howard Lederer do not play in the big game. Although I think Howard would probably have the money to play in that game, he choses to play at the lower levels so he can make a similar amount of money while risking a lot less.

It's pretty simple.David Sklansky is a profit-machine. If he has no edge, he will never play. If he can find a better edge somewhere else, he will go there, even if it looks like he's dodging people. He IS dodging people. All he cares about is the bottom line. That means beating up on easy games, and getting TV exposure so his books will sell.Seems to me there are some players who really just want to be REMEMBERED as someone who was awesome. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a legend. (shrug) Anyone who doesn't think Daniel Negreanu has a healthy ego on him is delusional. He's a cocky SOB, and he's earned it. But he wants to test his mettle against the best, so nobody can say, "Daniel was a great player, BUT..." He got sick of hearing the "BUT he doesn't beat up on the big cash games." So his response? **** you, *******. Watch me hold my own with the best of the best. Ice

I watched Daniel twice this week do interviews on a Canadian sports show, and he plays for big time cash and against the best, for the challenge. He doesn't seem to need the money, not his words, just my inference. He said he constantly wants to challenge himself. After saying that, he added that he has an open challenge to any player in the world to play any (poker) game for 500K, winner take all. He even admitted that he would have a hard time beating Phil Ivey at 7 card stud.Something interesting that he is involved in is a new poker video game with technology that makes the game harder as you play. The idea is that the game will recognize your patterns and adjust itself accordingly. I think this is a great idea to help someone out. The game also has tutorials etc. As he described it, it sounds really cool. Thought it was interesting enough to pass on.

Daniel Negreanu loves the game of poker, and the challenge that comes with playing it. I think we all can agree that he has an uncanny talent for the game. He has a sixth sense that we all wish we could have. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time till he wins the main event at the WSOP.Three reasons why Daniel plays with the best players in the world. One, he can. He is one of the best players in the world so I think we should ask why anyone would want to play with him.Two, a true rounder plays wherever the money is. If a lawyer comes to the tables with his checkbook, take him down. If Doyle comes to the tables, you take him down. Money is money. And although I am still a humble student of masters like Brunson and Chan, I find a lot of these new rich players to be calling stations, you never know what they have unless its a live game or they have a really obvious betting pattern.Three, every players dream is to win a bracelet. Kunish would call it some "Vegas pipe-dream". Only 290 people on this earth wear a world series bracelt. As poker players we all aspire to improve our game, so that one day we may have our names written down and become immortalized with the other legends of poker. Negreanu plays with the other masters to better his game, so that one day he can call himself "a World Champion of Poker" as Johnny Chan so humbly put it.Why should we question Daniel's motives? He's Daniel Negreanu. It would suck if one day he decided not to play high stakes anymore, because who would take his place as the master of psychological warfare?

I've wondered this for a whileI was just playing on stars a 6 person no limit cash game .50 -1 blindsI win a 24 dollar pot off this guy and then slow played a flopped set of nines and lost about 30 to him when he rivered a gutshot straightAt first I was upset but then I realized - wow if this guy is calling five dollar bets on the turn with those odds - i'm going to have all of his money pretty soonI had A 10 suited raise preflop and bet all the way without inproving - he calls the whole way - no raises turns over a losing A 5 (note: I'm not saying I played this hand correctly) and then says "lol I knew you had nothing" - I said back "fine job"Two hands later he calls my all in with 4 spades on the board with the ten of spades - I had the ace - i'd taken 70 dollars from him since the suckout and he left and then so did i i realized it's all about playing against terrible playersI understand the need for challenge but what's the point of playing high stakes poker at the table with Doyle Brunson Phil Ivey and 6 other guys of that caliber? Why not just play the businessmen and tourists?
He does.Once in a while he will say who was in the big game and sometimes he says some other guy.And another thing.How does he get the tourists to his table?Only Everest can arrange that.And he averages 4k an hour against the best.He couldn;t make that at any other table.I hope him and barry have a freezeout.
Daniel Negreanu loves the game of poker, and the challenge that comes with playing it. I think we all can agree that he has an uncanny talent for the game. He has a sixth sense that we all wish we could have. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time till he wins the main event at the WSOP.Three reasons why Daniel plays with the best players in the world. One, he can. He is one of the best players in the world so I think we should ask why anyone would want to play with him.Two, a true rounder plays wherever the money is. If a lawyer comes to the tables with his checkbook, take him down. If Doyle comes to the tables, you take him down. Money is money. And although I am still a humble student of masters like Brunson and Chan, I find a lot of these new rich players to be calling stations, you never know what they have unless its a live game or they have a really obvious betting pattern.Three, every players dream is to win a bracelet. Kunish would call it some "Vegas pipe-dream". Only 290 people on this earth wear a world series bracelt. As poker players we all aspire to improve our game, so that one day we may have our names written down and become immortalized with the other legends of poker. Negreanu plays with the other masters to better his game, so that one day he can call himself "a World Champion of Poker" as Johnny Chan so humbly put it.Why should we question Daniel's motives? He's Daniel Negreanu. It would suck if one day he decided not to play high stakes anymore, because who would take his place as the master of psychological warfare?
I bolded the portions that have been overrun by irrelevant cliche's and broad, misinformed generalizations."Money is money."Surely you jest."And although I am still a humble student of masters like Brunson and Chan, I find a lot of these new rich players to be calling stations, you never know what they have unless its a live game or they have a really obvious betting pattern."I blame this sentence for causing my response to the entire post. It's author appears to have been so busy trying to make himself sound intelligent, that he forgot to make sense."Three, every players dream is to win a bracelet."Maybe one day, if Daniel puts in enough hours in the big game, he will will be able to get his hands on that elusive first bracelet..."Kunish would call it some 'Vegas pipe-dream'. "My guess is that you were waiting for the right opportunity to throw a Rounders quote in, and when that opportunity failed to present itself, you just threw one in anyways?"Negreanu plays with the other masters to better his game, so that one day he can call himself "a World Champion of Poker" as Johnny Chan so humbly put it."I really doubt Daniel thinks that because he plays in the big game, he will one day win the world series main event.

So to sum it up:1. Daniel enjoys the challenge2. You need to play with better players so you can get better as well3. to win 1 big bet/ hour at 4k/8k is more profitable then playing 80/1604. Occasionally the fish stop in to say, "Hi," and the pros take their $$4. The thrill of playing these high levels. Chip Reese said on time that there is the chance of going over the edge and losing big, without that the $$ doesn't mean anything to you and you tend to lose or play bad.Since A=B B=C ergo A=C, I'll say this: You play at the higher levels to make yourself a better player, if you play with the fish always you will lose some of your skill. In turn this will hurt you any time you NEED to play at the top level. So in the long run you will lose more $$ playing with the fish ALL the time.