I Want To Be A Shark

Hi allI have been playing poker roughly 1 year and a half now, I don't claim to be an amazing player whatsoever but I do just fine for myself.I was reading 'what type of player are you' and a shark is tight/aggressive/aggressive.I came back at tight/aggressive/passive... can someone give me a few ideas how to turn this around.Can someone right some situations on how to play in this manner.i.e blinds are $0.50/$1 and you are dealt As Ks, you raise pre flop and it comes down 4c 9c Jd, you check and fold to a big bet, i assume this is my down fall? This is playing passively I assume? I know where I go wrong but can someone right a scenario in which you could say the hand was played tight/aggressive/aggressive.Apologies if this makes no sense.

Are you asking us to help make you a shark? Well, for the most part, that's something you do yourself with hard work on your game. It's going to take many years so sit back in that computer chair because you're in it for the long haul.

There are no real "do this and become a shark" rules out there. If there was, then everyone would be cleaning up at the tables. Just keep reading forums, books, and practice. Thats the main rule for becoming a shark.

• 2 weeks later...

A little more info is needed. Are you raising from the button, or from UTG? Assuming you're on or near the button you've got to raise post flop (instead of check), even with a junk flop like this. Put in a bet the size of the pot. If your opponent plays back at you strong, or gives it up then let your hand go. Many times they'll fold, and the small amounts you pick up doing this will pay for the times you put in a pot sized raise and they play back at you. That's how I would do it, for what it's worth, but then again I don't make a living playing poker, so what do I know.

Hi allI have been playing poker roughly 1 year and a half now, I don't claim to be an amazing player whatsoever but I do just fine for myself.I was reading 'what type of player are you' and a shark is tight/aggressive/aggressive.I came back at tight/aggressive/passive... can someone give me a few ideas how to turn this around.Can someone right some situations on how to play in this manner.i.e blinds are $0.50/$1 and you are dealt As Ks, you raise pre flop and it comes down 4c 9c Jd, you check and fold to a big bet, i assume this is my down fall? This is playing passively I assume? I know where I go wrong but can someone right a scenario in which you could say the hand was played tight/aggressive/aggressive.Apologies if this makes no sense.
A little more info is needed. Are you raising from the button, or from UTG? Assuming you're on or near the button you've got to raise post flop (instead of check), even with a junk flop like this. Put in a bet the size of the pot. If your opponent plays back at you strong, or gives it up then let your hand go. Many times they'll fold, and the small amounts you pick up doing this will pay for the times you put in a pot sized raise and they play back at you. That's how I would do it, for what it's worth, but then again I don't make a living playing poker, so what do I know.
Yep and when you know what to do in every one of these situations and make profitbable play after profitable play that is when you're a shark. Each time is different really though. There is no definitive answer to the question.