I Have Some Remarks On A Random Movie Thread

New Line Cinema has announced that a Blu-ray version of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy will soon go on sale (possibly December). In fact, you can already pre-order the set on Amazon.com for $69.99. But before you start reaching for your wallet, you should know that the discs will contain the theatrical cuts. The studio will instead wait till the release of "The Hobbit" before releasing the director's cut version.
Pepeman writes: I don't care. I'm gonna buy the theatrical versions as soon as they hit the stores. And then in 2011, im gonna buy those Extended cuts. **** it, im a sheep.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember liking it. But I haven't seen it for like 15 years. That was one of Cameron's first movies, no?
She'd already done "The Mask" and "My Best Friend's Wedding" and a few lesser known films, but it was the next widely known one.

it is rather impressive that

leo dicaprio

overcame the early pressure to become

popcorn talent on the teen heart-throb

movie circuit. he should probably be kissing scorcese's

ass

repeatedly.

I just saw Out of Sight. I remembered it being good the last time I saw it 10 years ago... but wow. It's amazing.
The camera work in Out of Sight was outstanding.I liked The Limey too.
it is rather impressive that

leo dicaprio

overcame the early pressure to become

popcorn talent on the teen heart-throb

movie circuit. he should probably be kissing scorcese's

ass

repeatedly.

He's an awesome actor. The only ass he needs to kiss is whoever picks his roles and that's probably him.
The camera work in Out of Sight was outstanding.
Definitely some of my favorite cinematography. They do some great things with warm and cold colors. The acting and soundtrack are excellent too. Oh, and I daresay one of the classiest/sexiest love scenes in any movie.

astro boy.this movie was pretty much what it should

be

. i watched the series many years ago, and felt that they were mostly true to the spirit of that.there was some inconsistency with the landscape below the floating city. also, his big fight in the robot death matches wasn't what i expected--

he says he won't participate, then he tears them all apart. why? there should have been another option, maybe he could incapacitate each of them without destroying them, thereby receiving the increasing rage of the man putting on the show

.in spite of picking those nits, i thought it was a pretty good movie for kids. 7/10.

astro boy.this movie was pretty much what it should

be

. i watched the series many years ago, and felt that they were mostly true to the spirit of that.there was some inconsistency with the landscape below the floating city. also, his big fight in the robot death matches wasn't what i expected--

he says he won't participate, then he tears them all apart. why? there should have been another option, maybe he could incapacitate each of them without destroying them, thereby receiving the increasing rage of the man putting on the show

.in spite of picking those nits, i thought it was a pretty good movie for kids. 7/10.

yeah nick really loved this movie, to the point where it had to "break" so we could stop watching it constantly.

I took my 'little brother' (big brother's/sisters) to see Astro Boy and he said it was the best movie he's ever seen. He's 12. I thought it was mildly entertaining in the same way most 3d animated movies not made by Pixar are.

i think they did the

dragons

well enough for what appeared to be a low-ish budget movie. the problem was with the characters. the main guy never really

solves anything

. he 'protects' the leading lady by being good at

running away

, then for the big fight at the end he is saved by a lightning bolt (

woo, deus ex machina!

), fails in a sword fight, and is saved again, this time by a

dragon

. ineptitude is really not the hallmark of a hero.this is a pretty lousy lesson considering this was another movie aimed at a younger audience. "

if you only run away enough, powers beyond your control will intervene.

"it is a pretty classic move to have the heroes exit a place JUST AS THE BADDIES ARRIVE, narrowly escaping certain doom. it was mildly humorous to see this used with a

giant dragon

destroying the facade/roof of a building with its head just as the heroes leave through the side door, thereby not seeing them until they can get in a car to make their escape.

dragon wars

. 3/10.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what I don't understand about

Smokey and the Bandit

? Why would someone like

Carrie

ever be that close to

marrying Junior

? I can't even imagine how they would ever

be together

. Was that ever explained in the movie? And wouldn't

the Bandit

just spend the whole time saying,

"Really? You were really with that guy?"

You know what I don't understand about

Smokey and the Bandit

? Why would someone like

Carrie

ever be that close to

marrying Junior

? I can't even imagine how they would ever

be together

. Was that ever explained in the movie? And wouldn't

the Bandit

just spend the whole time saying,

"Really? You were really with that guy?"

Maybe it was for the

money

• 2 weeks later...

So whilst watching the opening credits of Scott Pilgrim vs The World, I was looking at all the names and I kinda realized that this is the first of the AH films we're going to see (no. I'm not going to explain AH). Or at least one of the first anyway. In 5-10 years we'll see. After actually watching the film, it held up to that standard in my mind. Apparently the box office did not agree with me so maybe it'll be just for me but yea I'd definitely go out and watch it again. it was quite well done. you're watching Hot Fuzz.

So whilst watching the opening credits of Scott Pilgrim vs The World, I was looking at all the names and I kinda realized that this is the first of the AH films we're going to see (no. I'm not going to explain AH). Or at least one of the first anyway. In 5-10 years we'll see. After actually watching the film, it held up to that standard in my mind. Apparently the box office did not agree with me so maybe it'll be just for me but yea I'd definitely go out and watch it again. it was quite well done. you're watching Hot Fuzz.
why would you not explain AH, since your whole post is about it?

sometimes you gotta be more random than remarkable. if I can think of other A.H. examples I will let you know. I'd say Not Another Teen Movie had the feel of it but it was before its time. it's not something easily known or described or real even since I made it up (not made up for the post but it popped in my head as described in the post). getting back specifically to SPvTW, I think you always have to wonder about re-watchability but I think this one will be ok.

It really was pretty amazing how much Paul Rudd was just like the french guy from The Dinner Game (that's the movie from which Dinner for Schmucks was based). If you've seen both movies and you're me, you'd be like "wow." I know that it wasn't quite as good as The Dinner Game but if you couple that with Steve Carrell's idiocy

taxidermized mice dioramas vs match stick buildings

being that much better and you actually get a movie that's not as bad as it should be. Dinner Game was good. Dinner for was almost good.

The actual dinner in the dinner game was the biggest let down. this is where Dinner Game is better. they don't even have the dinner. it couldn't live up to the hype.

I do wonder if this is the start of the downturn for Rudd. I'm just hoping he didn't reach his peak with Role Models and I Love You, Man. Two very good ones which flew under the radar a little bit. Now he gets a bit more mainstreamy and does crappier. Very cliche if so.

• 2 months later...

t

he crazie

s. they were not c

raz

y enough! i did not like the opening minute followed by a t

wo days earlie

r. it did not work for me, no sir: it did not. the movie was moving along with a good feel to it... then t

he army arrive

d and it just wasn't all that scary. they had a LOT of leeway to satisfy me, i was in the mood to be spooked & trying to just submerse myself in the moment, and they STILL managed to lose me.timothy elephant was enjoyable in it. it appears i enjoy movies where he is present (h

itma

n).7.5/

11! HAH!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm just saying that if I

made a wooden puppet

and one night

it magically came to life

, I would not make him go to

school the very next day

. I feel like that can wait a bit. I may have

mentioned this before

, but I can't

remember

and it's worth

saying again

weird. i just read

pinochio

to

nick

for the first time last night (first time for this

rather detailed version

) and i thought

the exact same thing

when i

got to that part

. no way that kid gets

out of my sight for

weeks.

weird. i just read

pinochio

to

nick

for the first time last night (first time for this

rather detailed version

) and i thought

the exact same thing

when i

got to that part

. no way that kid gets

out of my sight for

weeks.

I know, right? And really, when you

think about it

, they were way too

harsh

on him

for getting conned

. He's a

goddamn puppet

that's been

alive

for less than

24 hours

! Maybe

cut him

some

slack

I know, right? And really, when you

think about it

, they were way too

harsh

on him

for getting conned

. He's a

goddamn puppet

that's been

alive

for less than

24 hours

! Maybe

cut him

some

slack

Dammit, we

haven't gotten

to

that part yet

. Use a

spoiler tag

next time, would you?

• 2 years later...

That spoiler tag thing you guys were doing was really yum. I hope it's dead for this thread.

You didn't like Looper?

Looper was OK. JGL as Bruce Willis was awesome. I want there to be more movies where JGL is Bruce Willis. Maybe they should make a whole movie where the actors are playing younger versions of other actors. Or let JGL do an Eddie Murphy.

I'm gonna get this yum thing to catch on.