i want to get into the game of stud. i am fairly good at razz and PLO, and am best at hold'em (limit and NL). now i want to get into stud!!! the first thing i wanted to know is what is the best book for learning. i want a book that is good for new players that will be playing at lower limits. another thing i wanted to know was if there are any good razz books out there. the last thing i wanted to know was how the fulltilt players are at stud? sorry for all the questions but any help would be greatly appreciated.

stud for advanced players (by ray zee, et al) is really the only stud book worth reading. it's actually the only poker book worth reading, imo, lol.nothing is really that great for razz. sklansky's theory of poker has razz stuff in it, but it'll make you play like a nit and would probably only be worthwhile at lower limits or really soft games.pretty much everyone sucks at stud games. :club: just be careful on ftp, since the ante structure is bigger, you will have to play slightly more hands than you would on stars.

• 5 weeks later...

I definitely agree that chips section in SSI is a good way to get basic strategy.I'm currently reading Ken Warren Teaches 7-Card Stud and it's really good. He does a good job of explaining how to start thinking like a stud player and figuring out what your opponent is holding.Good luckJames

I read Chip Reese's section in Super System and it was by far the best stud material I have ever read but I don't play stud very often. I also read Hellmuth's Play Poker Like The Pro's and it was pretty decent as well covering stud and razz. I thought Hellmuth's had too many stories though and not enough strategy material.