Making A Living Out Of Stts

of course it's possible, but what's the limit where people can actually start making enough money to make a living with it?also wheres the best source of info on SNG-math? in a p5s interview some player brought up this example:

Say the blinds are 200/400/25 and stack sizes looked like this: Hero (BB) : 4000 SB : 5500 BTN : 2000 CO :2000Assume it's folded to the SB who you know is pushing any two in that spot every time. AKs is only very slightly +EV, while AKo is actually -EV, even though the average sng player would be glad to call and race to "play for first." In this hand it's correct to call with 88+, and only then if the SB is absolutely pushing any two. The reason 88 is a call and AK is a fold is because 88 crushes a lot of hands in the "any two" range, but AK is basically a 60/40 versus most of them. If the SB was not as aggressive as he should be, and only pushing top 20% of hands here, your calling range becomes QQ or better.
can someone explain that? AKo would only be a -EV (and still about break even cEV) call against the SB, right? (since he's the only one who could bust us)? or is AKo still a -EV call if a shortstack pushes with the same range?greetings,travis
of course it's possible, but what's the limit where people can actually start making enough money to make a living with it?also wheres the best source of info on SNG-math? in a p5s interview some player brought up this example:can someone explain that?AKo would only be a -EV (and still about break even cEV) call against the SB, right?(since he's the only one who could bust us)? or is AKo still a -EV call if a shortstack pushes with the same range?greetings,travis
"AKo would only be a -EV (and still about break even cEV) call against the SB, right?"yes"or is AKo still a -EV call if a shortstack pushes with the same range?"its instacall. download SNGEGT, free program and it does all the math for you.
of course it's possible, but what's the limit where people can actually start making enough money to make a living with it?also wheres the best source of info on SNG-math? in a p5s interview some player brought up this example:can someone explain that? AKo would only be a -EV (and still about break even cEV) call against the SB, right? (since he's the only one who could bust us)? or is AKo still a -EV call if a shortstack pushes with the same range?greetings,travis
AK is -$EV against a big stack. It's of course +cEV, but -$EV.Against a short stack it's +$EV and +cEVI don't know if it's possible to make a living with STTs anymore. The quality of play is so much higher these days (even at the lower levels) that I think it's extrememly difficult to maintain a ROI of 10% or more. MTTs and cash are much easier to make a living at.

AKo isn't crushing any two cards enough to justify the fact that when you lose your equity will be zero. If it was against one of the shortstacks it would be different because your equity when you lost would not be zero. Here is the math: (using http://www.chillin411.com/icmcalc.php)I'm using payouts from a $1.20, but it doesn't make any difference because the payout structure is the same for all 9 player STTsOur current equity is $2.6151. If we double up through the SB our equity will be $3.6103. AK is 65.32% against any two cards.So: (0.6532 * 3.6103) + (0.3468 * 0) = $2.358052If you were already in the money it would be completely different, since your equity when you lose would be third place money (instead of zero).

It depends on what "making a living" means...if $20-$30/hour is a living, I think it can be done in the $30+3s.The problem with making a living on MTTs is the huge variance. There are definitely guys doing it, primarily in the $100 buy ins, where Ive OPRd a few who are consistently cashing.I think cash games are still the way to grind it out if youve got the patience.

I'll just comment on making a living playing STTs. I tried it for awhile, when I was almost broke from the variance of MTTs, but I quickly got bored with it. It's more like work than playing poker. If you are 6-15 tabling, which I assume you would be, it's so mechanical that it's not even fun. There is no other glory in poker like that of winning an MTT. When you play SNGs and become an expert, there is always a correct play, there is never any discussion or shades of gray. For me that is too boring. I enjoy making reads and acting on them, and getting to the final table. After awhile, I just built up a bigger roll for MTTs so that I could handle the swings.

I think I'd go crazy trying to make a living by playing STTs.
QFT, Single table SNGs bore the shit out of me, it's more like blackjack than poker.
The quality of play is so much higher these days (even at the lower levels) that I think it's extrememly difficult to maintain a ROI of 10% or more. MTTs and cash are much easier to make a living at.
I've noticed a big difference between the $1.20's and $3.40 turbos on the one hand, and the $5.50's on the other hand. It seems like everyone at $5.50 has read about the tight-early SnG strategy so you can't sit back and wait for the fish to die off like you can at the lower levels. I've just started playing $5.50's again after taking a long break and I was shocked when the first hand was folded around to me in the SB. That's unheard of at the micro limits. A few hands later I made a standard open raise w/ AA in EP and everyone folded. The level of tightness and patience was startling after spending so much time playing $3.40 turbos lately. I started thinking to myself, "what the hell do I have to do to make money in these?"
QFT, Single table SNGs bore the shit out of me, it's more like blackjack than poker.
Yeah, I can't play STTs for very long before I get antsy for something different. I've added 45-man turbos and PLO to my game selection to make my poker playing at bit more interesting.
I've noticed a big difference between the $1.20's and $3.40 turbos on the one hand, and the $5.50's on the other hand. It seems like everyone at $5.50 has read about the tight-early SnG strategy so you can't sit back and wait for the fish to die off like you can at the lower levels. I've just started playing $5.50's again after taking a long break and I was shocked when the first hand was folded around to me in the SB. That's unheard of at the micro limits. A few hands later I made a standard open raise w/ AA in EP and everyone folded. The level of tightness and patience was startling after spending so much time playing $3.40 turbos lately. I started thinking to myself, "what the hell do I have to do to make money in these?"
They still make terrible calls and pushes. ICM is everything in SNGs and luckily they know nothing about it.
Open raise every pot and swipe the blinds until they wake up, then go back to your usual game.
"AKo would only be a -EV (and still about break even cEV) call against the SB, right?"yes"or is AKo still a -EV call if a shortstack pushes with the same range?"its instacall. download SNGEGT, free program and it does all the math for you.
:club:

im playing stts pretty exclusively at the moment, and if i'm feeling like i can't take playing another one i either a) quit or B) play a cheap MTT

I'm mostly playing sngs at the moment, and I did it full time for a few months over the summer and I didn't find it too boring. But I guess I can't do it for more than a few hours, and I definately need to play a few mtts now and then. (plus I have a much better record in mtts I think)One thing is that playing so many turbos has totally thrown off my deepstacked play. Whenever I have the nuts in the first few levels I just think 'man can't I shove already?' I'm going to have to go and learn cash or something soon I think.

right now I am playing mostly 6man ultra turbos and turbos depending on which site im playing on. I started out at the 2$ level then 5s now 10s and im starting to throw in some 20s. They are very easy to beat and I do find it boring, but I only play about an hour or two a day.