So ive basically been a " Professional Poker player" for the last couple years.. I love my job, love the benefits.. etc etc... but I absolutely hate talking about what I do for a living because then people start to ask retarded questions and it puts me in an awkward situation. I guess im wondering how I can downplay the situation to deflect the attention off what I do for a living?? I just hate saying " I play poker for a living".. then the retarded questions like " do you really win??" and from a mortgage loan guy today " So tell me more about what you do??" People are generally very intrigued but I hate talking about it.. When im at a bar or a social setting, I hate talking about myself because I dont want to draw any attention to poker or where im at financially... I dont want to lie to people but I feel like that would even be better then having to have a 30 minute convo with someone about poker... when they arent going to understand anyways. Help plz.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Self-Employed""I steal money from people with less talent than I have"Mostly, I think you gotta learn to be comfortable talking about it or whatever, or at least come up with good ways to significantly shorten the conversations about it.

Me: what do you do for a livingYou: I'm a pro poker playerMe: really do you win?You: it's a living , but's its not something I care to discuss ( with a smile) or, Me: how much money do you make?You: it's not something i'm at liberty to discuss . Is this what you're looking for ?

who cares?learn to love it.you didnt spend all this time and effort and stress so you can downgrade yourself.if you cant handle that, then just say you own your own business. you're in importing. like you import peoples chips to your pocket

So ive basically been a " Professional Poker player" for the last couple years.. I love my job, love the benefits.. etc etc... but I absolutely hate talking about what I do for a living because then people start to ask retarded questions and it puts me in an awkward situation. I guess im wondering how I can downplay the situation to deflect the attention off what I do for a living?? I just hate saying " I play poker for a living".. then the retarded questions like " do you really win??" and from a mortgage loan guy today " So tell me more about what you do??" People are generally very intrigued but I hate talking about it.. When im at a bar or a social setting, I hate talking about myself because I dont want to draw any attention to poker or where im at financially... I dont want to lie to people but I feel like that would even be better then having to have a 30 minute convo with someone about poker... when they arent going to understand anyways. Help plz.
It all comes down to what you want to talk about. Do you want to talk about your career or is there something else you're passionate about? Lee Watkinson might prefer to talk about his animal rescue project, so when people ask what he does, he might say "I rescue chimpanzees after test labs finish with them." If you want to gloss over the details of what you do, you could say you're in "entertainment" and if necessary follow it up with "you know those poker shows on TV? The poker boom pays my bills." If they want to learn more, they'll ask.

if someone asks you something like, "how much do you make?" respond with the same. "ok, if we're going to talk money, how much do YOU make?" that ought to shut them up real quick.if they say, "do you really win?" give them a smart ass remark such as, "no, i consistently lose money yet somehow i am able to pay my bills and lead a normal life."

It all comes down to what you want to talk about. Do you want to talk about your career or is there something else you're passionate about? Lee Watkinson might prefer to talk about his animal rescue project, so when people ask what he does, he might say "I rescue chimpanzees after test labs finish with them." If you want to gloss over the details of what you do, you could say you're in "entertainment" and if necessary follow it up with "you know those poker shows on TV? The poker boom pays my bills." If they want to learn more, they'll ask.
I really like this answer.

Tell them you are an entrepreneur. Thats what I do, but then again thats what I am. Not good enough or consistent enough to play poker for a living, so I have decided to go the balloon guy route and get rich the old fashioned way.I am now heavy into real estate investment. I think it's something you guys should look into as a way to diversify as well. Right now I have a couple of guys that are making 10-12% on their money secured with a 1st position on the real estate. Pretty safe when we are at a 60-70% LTV. Didnt mean to get off on a tangent, but i think entrepreneur has a nice ring to it.

Seriously, just say entrepreneur. Self made. and you don't like talking about it. That would end the convo quickly.

Me: what do you do for a livingYou: I'm a pro poker playerMe: really do you win?You: it's a living , but's its not something I care to discuss ( with a smile) or, Me: how much money do you make?You: it's not something i'm at liberty to discuss . Is this what you're looking for ?
Not necessarily.. I just feel bad for cutting people off when they ask questions.. and I suck at lying.
Tell them you are an entrepreneur. Thats what I do, but then again thats what I am. Not good enough or consistent enough to play poker for a living, so I have decided to go the balloon guy route and get rich the old fashioned way.I am now heavy into real estate investment. I think it's something you guys should look into as a way to diversify as well. Right now I have a couple of guys that are making 10-12% on their money secured with a 1st position on the real estate. Pretty safe when we are at a 60-70% LTV. Didnt mean to get off on a tangent, but i think entrepreneur has a nice ring to it.
Im in the process of closing on a house.. so would it be fair to say I buy foreclosures.. fix them up and sell them??

I'm in the same boat..(sort of)Do what I do... LIEJust say you're a teacher or a garbage collector.... something that wont require you to know too many specifics.Don't go for doctor or lawyer.... too many questions arise but with teacher...the questions usually stop at "What grade do you teach?"Say "5th"

I'm in the same boat..(sort of)Do what I do... LIEJust say you're a teacher or a garbage collector.... something that wont require you to know too many specifics.Don't go for doctor or lawyer.... too many questions arise but with teacher...the questions usually stop at "What grade do you teach?"Say "5th"
Orrrrrrrr tell them you play for the leafs no one will care :club: poor me a leafs fan :ts

Honestly, I reallly dont see any dilemma's here.why do you care so much?you went to get a loan. They HAVE to ask what you do for a living. so you say Play poker. Obviously that might intrigue someone.I think you're just getting annoyed with people being curious about playing poker fulltime. Its part of it. Just like an actor, just like a sport athlete. Its a job that isnt that common, so people have questions.

Im in the process of closing on a house.. so would it be fair to say I buy foreclosures.. fix them up and sell them??
PM me or AIM me. I would like to talk to you about this. I dont buy foreclosures, but I do pre foreclosures and short sale them from the bank. Here in MI there is a huge supply. I can get, using round numbers, a $100k house for $60k and flip it for under market and still make money.I am always looking to talk to others that are interested in making money doing this.

if you don't want to talk about it, you probably have to lie; the reality is that your "job" is more interesting than most because to many it is a hobby, but you are simply good enough at it to make a living; thus, people are always going to be curious; as far as discussing your winnings, you can tactfully tell people that you don't like to discuss your wages with others (that is something that people will understand in any profession)as far as situations like the mortgage lender, you have to be prepared to discuss what you do; the reality is that you have an unconventional job and that is going to discourage people from wanting to "risk" their money on you; I am not saying that you are a bad investment, but you lack the type of financial security that a bank is looking for, so in situations like that (or any loan applications) you will have to be patient and both explain what you do and your success

Just say you're a business man. If they ask what business say "I calculate risk and make investments accordingly."
im not a business manim a business, man.go with with the fact that you invest in situations where you see your money having an edge on the field. and that you are hellllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaa good at it.