Lhe Challenge(?) Thread

Bumping this thread so that Dink Donk isn't overlooked in the consideration for Featured Member.
Wow, how has he never been the featured member? If it was decided by cash game winnings it would just be him and Hoosier swapping every month.
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, how has he never been the featured member? If it was decided by cash game winnings it would just be him and Hoosier swapping every month.
Featured Member is just that a member of the forum that we've featured that month and isn't intended to be a Player of the Month. The basic idea is to recognize people who are positive members of the community. Near the end of the month Gov and I talk and we come up with a name for the next month and Gov contacts them and gets the ball rolling. There are a lot of people who we have in mind to be featured members and when one of them does something noteworthy like having a big tournament result that often is the catalyst for us choosing them for that month so I understand how some people think it's more of a player of the month thing. A featured member doesn't have to be a successful poker player.Dink for sure is among the many people who are positive members of the community who haven't been featured member yet. Don't forget that I have a huge bias towards limit holdem players.The one thing we do that is totally based on poker success is the player of the year that we recognize at the beginning of January.
Featured Member is just that a member of the forum that we've featured that month and isn't intended to be a Player of the Month. The basic idea is to recognize people who are positive members of the community. Near the end of the month Gov and I talk and we come up with a name for the next month and Gov contacts them and gets the ball rolling. There are a lot of people who we have in mind to be featured members and when one of them does something noteworthy like having a big tournament result that often is the catalyst for us choosing them for that month so I understand how some people think it's more of a player of the month thing. A featured member doesn't have to be a successful poker player.Dink for sure is among the many people who are positive members of the community who haven't been featured member yet. Don't forget that I have a huge bias towards limit holdem players.The one thing we do that is totally based on poker success is the player of the year that we recognize at the beginning of January.
I understand this. I wasn't taking anything away from the featured member award and I had a decent idea of how you decided who it is. I was just really surprised that Dink hadn't been it yet. I would have given someone like 10-1 that he had. And my comment about his cash game winnings was meant to just say how much Dink destroys poker and not something negative against you guys or whatever.

Heh, thanks guys, but I lost last month, barely won this month and did very little posting anywhere over that time period. I'm glad I wasn't selected; I don't think I could deal with the curse. Haha, but I'll be back to winning and posting this month and perhaps I'll be selected if and when I deserve it for a month.Oh and it makes me feel poor to have my income compared to Hooooosier's. That guy's effing loaded.

• 3 weeks later...

Live 3/6 hand. Villian is an annoying nit who loves to analyze every hand she plays. Usually badly. We stopped listening to her about an hour ago....Hero is BB w/ 994 limpers to button who raises, all call. 6 players to flop:5 8 9 rainbowAll check to raiser. Raiser bets, hero raises, all fold to nit in mp2 who calls, raiser 3 bets, hero caps, nit calls.Turn: 2Hero bets, nit calls, raiser tanks for 30 seconds and foldsRiver: QHero bets, nit raises! Hero 3 bets, nit caps and shows J 10 for the straight.Did I play it right and get unlucky, or did she play it wrong cold calling the 2 bets on the flop?

She is positionally unaware, but probably thinking Zomg, I have two over-cards and a OESD.Once she called the two bets on the flop, she has to call the other two. Turn is standard as the pot is huge.Tough break, but you played it well.Also, probably just call the raise on the river. Nits and fish don't bluff raise the river, and Based on your three 9s, Q9 is unlikely and I doubt she'd stick around with Q8 or 98

I thought I would start posting more Lucky Bob hands to show the brilliance of my sucking out on the river.Lucky Bob Hand Of The Day Number 1.My opponent on this one is an 80/10 calling station but doesn't get out of line so I wasn't happy when I was check raised on the turn but I'm not going to fold it.PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $20.00 BB (4 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Lucky Bob is Button with A :jh, A :DUTG raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, 2 folds, UTG callsFlop: (7.5 SB) K :D, Q :club:, K :4h (2 players)UTG checks, Lucky Bob bets, UTG callsTurn: (4.75 BB) 7 :5c (2 players)UTG checks, Lucky Bob bets, UTG raises, Lucky Bob callsRiver: (8.75 BB) A :3h (2 players)UTG bets, Lucky Bob raises, UTG 3-bets, Lucky Bob caps, UTG callsTotal pot: $335 (16.75 BB) | Rake: $2Results:Lucky Bob had A :D, A :D (full house, Aces over Kings).UTG mucked K :ts, Q :qh (full house, Kings over Queens).Outcome: Lucky Bob won $333

Lucky Bob Hand of the Day #2My opponent on this one is a winning regular player at 10/20 and I think his river play is questionable at best. When the board pairs the only hand he can beat that I play this was is AK with the A of clubs and I'm never 3 betting the river with that so his cap bet on the river is just a gift to me and total spew.If the river doesn't pair he gets 2 bets from me unless the river is a club in which case he gets 1.If he caps the turn and I don't improve on the river he gets one bet out of me there.PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $20.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Lucky Bob is SB with K :club:, K :4h2 folds, Button raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, 1 fold, Button callsFlop: (7 SB) 6 :3h, 3 :jh, K :D (2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Button callsTurn: (4.5 BB) 10 :D (2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Button raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, Button callsRiver: (10.5 BB) K :qh (2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Button raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, Button caps, Lucky Bob callsTotal pot: $370 (18.5 BB) | Rake: $2Results:Button had 8 :D, J :D (flush, King high).Lucky Bob had K :ts, K :5c (four of a kind, Kings).Outcome: Lucky Bob won $368

Live 3/6 hand. Villian is an annoying nit who loves to analyze every hand she plays. Usually badly. We stopped listening to her about an hour ago....Hero is BB w/ 994 limpers to button who raises, all call. 6 players to flop:5 8 9 rainbowAll check to raiser. Raiser bets, hero raises, all fold to nit in mp2 who calls, raiser 3 bets, hero caps, nit calls.Turn: 2Hero bets, nit calls, raiser tanks for 30 seconds and foldsRiver: QHero bets, nit raises! Hero 3 bets, nit caps and shows J 10 for the straight.Did I play it right and get unlucky, or did she play it wrong cold calling the 2 bets on the flop?
she's getting at least 7.5-1 and then 10.5-1 on the flop calls. She only needs about 5-1 to call. So even if she is expecting a flop cap, she's fine. you played it ok. tbh, i think 3 betting preflop is best. you're fine equity wise if its vs 5 opponents, and if you get a few folds that's good to. if she's that nitty, you can just call her river raise. she's probably raising the turn with 22,55, 88, 98. She's not raising Qx and probably not even 2 pair on the river.
Lucky Bob Hand of the Day #2My opponent on this one is a winning regular player at 10/20 and I think his river play is questionable at best. When the board pairs the only hand he can beat that I play this was is AK with the A of clubs and I'm never 3 betting the river with that so his cap bet on the river is just a gift to me and total spew.If the river doesn't pair he gets 2 bets from me unless the river is a club in which case he gets 1.If he caps the turn and I don't improve on the river he gets one bet out of me there.PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $20.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Lucky Bob is SB with K :club:, K :4h2 folds, Button raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, 1 fold, Button callsFlop: (7 SB) 6 :3h, 3 :jh, K :D(2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Button callsTurn: (4.5 BB) 10 :D(2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Button raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, Button callsRiver: (10.5 BB) K :qh(2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Button raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, Button caps, Lucky Bob callsTotal pot: $370 (18.5 BB) | Rake: $2Results:Button had 8 :D, J :D (flush, King high).Lucky Bob had K :ts, K :5c (four of a kind, Kings).Outcome: Lucky Bob won $368
Yeah, I think his line is awful. It looks like an easy cap turn and put in a max of two bets on the river spot to me. Both hands look perfect from your end.
she's getting at least 7.5-1 and then 10.5-1 on the flop calls. She only needs about 5-1 to call. So even if she is expecting a flop cap, she's fine. you played it ok. tbh, i think 3 betting preflop is best. you're fine equity wise if its vs 5 opponents, and if you get a few folds that's good to. if she's that nitty, you can just call her river raise. she's probably raising the turn with 22,55, 88, 98. She's not raising Qx and probably not even 2 pair on the river.
I agree with all of this, I think. Just calling the river seems so nitty, but I just can't come up with anything she'd raise that's not JT or a slowplayed 67.

Live 3/6 hand. Villian (older, late 50ish guy) has just sat down in BB.2 limpers to hero (LP) with Ac Kh. Hero raises, sb folds, BB calls, limpers call.Flop: Ah Qd As (Sweet.....)Villian looks at flop, looks at his chips, looks at flop, then bets. WTF? Limpers fold, hero raises, villian 3 bets(WTF?!?), hero caps.Turn: 2cVillian bets (commenting "I'm pretty sure my queens are good.") Hero calls.River: 6cVillian bets, hero.....?Could he be slowplaying pocket queens? Ace rag that paired the turn? Trying to make a move?Edit: Sorry about the new topic. I thought I was adding to the LHE Challange thread. My bad. Mod please move this.

This is LHE?I have little to no experience live but you can never ever fold and should probably bunch put in a bunch more bets. I'd probably raise the flop, call a 3 bet and raise the turn. If he 3 bets at that point I'd just call down. If he's a nit going into calldown mode earlier is probably ok although I've no idea how live nits think about hands like AT on this board.Just please don't fold.

Who the hell is BTN is hand 2. Seems like a terrible spew. My money is on the dude with the picture of the gorilla.
I can understand guessing gorilla guy but he would have never missed a chance to cap the turn.It was a certain Russian Dr who according to PTR has played about 40K hands of 10/20 this month and I haven't really seen him doing anything too stupid so that's why his play surprised me.

Mr gorilla man just called my check raise on the turn with top set (I think it was the nuts at this point) and raised the river earlier. Mighta been a misclick or something.I know who you mean though and that is quite odd.

Live 3/6 hand. Villian (older, late 50ish guy) has just sat down in BB.2 limpers to hero (LP) with Ac Kh. Hero raises, sb folds, BB calls, limpers call.Flop: Ah Qd As (Sweet.....)Villian looks at flop, looks at his chips, looks at flop, then bets. WTF? Limpers fold, hero raises, villian 3 bets(WTF?!?), hero caps.Turn: 2cVillian bets (commenting "I'm pretty sure my queens are good.") Hero calls.River: 6cVillian bets, hero.....?Could he be slowplaying pocket queens? Ace rag that paired the turn? Trying to make a move?Edit: Sorry about the new topic. I thought I was adding to the LHE Challange thread. My bad. Mod please move this.
90% of players have AQ or QQ here. the other 10% have two pieces of paper. either way best option is to just call down.
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple fee good hands against Gorilla Avatar Guy who was talked about earlier.A lot of people think that gorilla guy is a maniac but he's actually a winning player who knows how not to pay off and I used that in this hand. A few reasons why I tried the river bluff.1. Gorilla Guy going 3 bets on the turn doesn't mean he has a big hand. He will 3 bet here with a lot of hands.2. The river card was a bit of a scary one but I think I was raising no matter what unless I made a pair.3. I pretty much never bluff raise the river as it is usually just spew and my image with gorilla guy is such that my river raise has to mean a big hand to him.4. Gorilla Guy while having some things that can be exploited in my opinion is pretty careful in the hands he pays off with. He will fold when he thinks he's beat.Of course if he calls me or re-raises I don't post the hand and my play on the turn might be questionable given gorilla guys ability to 3 bet me with a wide range of hands but me calling the flop and raising the turn is consistent with how I would play a wide range of hands against gorilla guy.PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $20.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Lucky Bob is BB with J :5c, 10 :3h3 folds, Gorilla Avatar Guy raises, Lucky Bob callsFlop: (4 SB) 6 :qh, 4 :club:, 7 :ts (2 players)Gorilla Avatar Guy bets, Lucky Bob callsTurn: (3 BB) 2 :jh (2 players)Gorilla Avatar Guy bets, Lucky Bob raises, Gorilla Avatar Guy 3-bets, Lucky Bob callsRiver: (9 BB) K :4h (2 players)Gorilla Avatar Guy bets, Lucky Bob raises, 1 foldTotal pot: $220 (11 BB) | Rake: $2Results:Lucky Bob didn't show J :D, 10 :D (nothing).Outcome: Lucky Bob won $218

Feel good hand #2 from today against Gorilla Guy. This one happened after the first hand.Pretty standard hand from my standpoint but it made me feel good so I'm posting it and I encourage others to post their limit holdem hands that they feel good about whether it's because they like the way they played or they got lucky or won a big pot.PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $20.00 BB (4 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Lucky Bob is SB with K :4h, K :club:Gorilla Avatar Guy raises, 1 fold, Lucky Bob 3-bets, 1 fold, Gorilla Avatar Guy callsFlop: (7 SB) 10 :5c, 3 :jh, 6 :D (2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Gorilla Avatar Guy raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, Gorilla Avatar Guy callsTurn: (6.5 BB) K :D (2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Gorilla Avatar Guy raises, Lucky Bob 3-bets, Gorilla Avatar Guy caps, Lucky Bob callsRiver: (14.5 BB) 6 :3h (2 players)Lucky Bob bets, Gorilla Avatar Guy callsTotal pot: $330 (16.5 BB) | Rake: $2Results:Lucky Bob had K :qh, K :ts (full house, Kings over sixes).Gorilla Avatar Guy mucked K :D, 8 :D (two pair, Kings and sixes).Outcome: Lucky Bob won $328

• 2 months later...

Time for a bump after 2 months...Don't use a tracker, but villain had raised every button that was folded to him, probably 7-8 times before this. Won a nice pot with AA a couple of orbits earlier when he did it, he folded the river so not sure what he had.I donked the flop knowing he would probably raise and chase out the SB. Thoughts on entire hand? PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is BB with Aspade.gif, 7club.gif2 folds, Button raises, SB calls, Hero callsFlop: (6 SB) 4heart.gif, 7spade.gif, 10spade.gif(3 players)SB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, 1 fold, Hero callsTurn: (5 BB) 6diamond.gif(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets, Hero callsRiver: (7 BB) Adiamond.gif(2 players)Hero bets, Button raises, Hero callsTotal pot: $11 (11 BB) | Rake: $0.50

And one feel good hand...was on the wrong end of set over set 4 times this week, so this one was nice.PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is UTG with 8heart.gif, 8spade.gifHero raises, MP 3-bets, 3 folds, Hero callsFlop: (7.5 SB) 8diamond.gif, 3spade.gif, 7spade.gif(2 players)Hero checks, MP bets, Hero raises, MP callsTurn: (5.75 BB) Jspade.gif(2 players)Hero bets, MP raises, Hero 3-bets, MP caps, Hero callsRiver: (13.75 BB) 8club.gif(2 players)Hero bets, MP raises, Hero 3-bets, MP caps, Hero callsTotal pot: $21.75 (21.75 BB) | Rake: $0.50Results:Hero had 8heart.gif, 8spade.gif (four of a kind, eights).MP had 7heart.gif, 7diamond.gif (full house, sevens over eights).Outcome: Hero won $21.25

Why did you call and not 3-bet on the river? 5-handed he has enough hands here that you crush, like AKs or something, is my range on this guy too wide?

Time for a bump after 2 months...Don't use a tracker, but villain had raised every button that was folded to him, probably 7-8 times before this. Won a nice pot with AA a couple of orbits earlier when he did it, he folded the river so not sure what he had.I donked the flop knowing he would probably raise and chase out the SB. Thoughts on entire hand? PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is BB with Aspade.gif, 7club.gif2 folds, Button raises, SB calls, Hero callsFlop: (6 SB) 4heart.gif, 7spade.gif, 10spade.gif(3 players)SB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, 1 fold, Hero callsTurn: (5 BB) 6diamond.gif(2 players)Hero checks, Button bets, Hero callsRiver: (7 BB) Adiamond.gif(2 players)Hero bets, Button raises, Hero callsTotal pot: $11 (11 BB) | Rake: $0.50
Time for a bump after 2 months...Don't use a tracker, but villain had raised every button that was folded to him, probably 7-8 times before this. Won a nice pot with AA a couple of orbits earlier when he did it, he folded the river so not sure what he had.I donked the flop knowing he would probably raise and chase out the SB. Thoughts on entire hand? PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is BB with Aspade.gif, 7club.gif2 folds, Button raises, SB calls, Hero callsFlop: (6 SB) 4heart.gif, 7spade.gif, 10spade.gif (3 players)SB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, 1 fold, Hero callsTurn: (5 BB) 6diamond.gif (2 players)Hero checks, Button bets, Hero callsRiver: (7 BB) Adiamond.gif (2 players)Hero bets, Button raises, Hero callsTotal pot: $11 (11 BB) | Rake: $0.50
I'll discuss the play on each street.Preflop: With A7 off out of the big against a button raise and a sb call I just call like you did.Flop: The biggest problem with a donk bet with your hand is how balanced your donk betting is. If you only do it with medium strength hands like this hand in order to protect then that's a pattern that can be exploited. At the limit this hand was played at with the large player base range balancing isn't as much of an issue and it's easier to view your play in isolation for this hand.Since a lot of pre-flop raisers will raise any donk bet I like your play fine to put pressure on the small blind and also to give you a lot more information about his hand if he calls the 2 bets as opposed to only 1.After he raised me and the sb folded with second pair A kicker I might have 3 bet him but a lot of that would be player dependent. What are the reasons for just calling here and what are the reasons to three bet ?Turn: The way you played the flop I also would have check called the turn.River: I like betting out when we hit our 2 pair here. There are a lot of hands that he might call our bet on the river with that he won't bet so going for a check raise isn't a great idea especially since the A tends to be an action killer when it hits and the other player doesn't have one. Also by betting out if we're up against a moster and get raised we only lose 2 bets instead of 3 if we go for the check raise. This of course can be very player dependent. There are a lot of regular players I know who will bet the river with a wide range of their hands who we can go for the check raise against.One you are raised there really is only one thing you can do and that is call.