Lhe Challenge(?) Thread

Alright, let's talk about beating the TAG's and TAP's that populate 1/2 Full Ring. What's the correct strategy for dealing with too tight tables where the vpip hovers around 15%? Play more hands and look for more bluffing opportunities, which in turn gets you played with when you flop something?I'm open to ideas here.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, let's talk about beating the TAG's and TAP's that populate 1/2 Full Ring. What's the correct strategy for dealing with too tight tables where the vpip hovers around 15%? Play more hands and look for more bluffing opportunities, which in turn gets you played with when you flop something?I'm open to ideas here.
Leave the game and work on playing short handed better.I'm dead serious when I say this.The rake is just too much to overcome at low limits like that at full ring if the game is that tight.
Leave the game and work on playing short handed better.I'm dead serious when I say this.The rake is just too much to overcome at low limits like that at full ring if the game is that tight.
Listen to the man!

If you want to get me spewy here's how. Call my UTG raise from one of the blinds and donk out on any flop I miss. I promise I will raise and all your 3 bet 100% of the time. Usually I'll talk myself into having 6 clean outs and call the turn. Sometimes I talk myself into you missing a draw and call the river with AQ high. heeeeeeeeeeeellllloooooooooooo leak

I was pretty sure you were going to say that. Alright, I'll stop banging my head against the wall. Full Ring is boring the crap out of me anyway.
Bob's right. standardI'm shocked you don't have 2-3 limpers every pot in these games. I promise you'll find a lot of LP's at 1/2 6max sprinkled with a few TAGS.The play between 1/2shlhe and 2/4shlhe is like night and day. Unreal how bad some players are. I'm admittedly not very competent at 6 max but the mistakes they make help offset some of my leaks.
if it wasn't clear already, bob is dead right about this. part of what makes us better than them is that we know when to leave a table that isn't worth our time. at full ring, the problem is that tight tables are playing hands that you're not typically going to be able to exploit by making them fold more often than they should, and your edge is really just coming from maximizing value in spots that they're not. and that's not really enough of an edge to be worth it when there are always better tables out there, even at a level or two lower than your usual limits.

I was watching hsp5 just now and they made a reference to a season one episode that I'd love to watch. It's the one where gabe and aj mock the players and poker. It's great. Does anyone know the episode number

while you should probably just go look for a better game i do think this is beatable. learn how to steal and defend the blinds better than the other players at the table. also, when they do play a hand you should be able to narrow their ranges down pretty well since they're so tight. this will allow you to make folds that they wouldn't postflop. so basically mash the raise button until they don't fold and then just fold unless you flop something pretty good.
I was watching hsp5 just now and they made a reference to a season one episode that I'd love to watch. It's the one where gabe and aj mock the players and poker. It's great. Does anyone know the episode number
xpost in the hsp thread, maybe? i honestly have no clue.
while you should probably just go look for a better game i do think this is beatable. learn how to steal and defend the blinds better than the other players at the table. also, when they do play a hand you should be able to narrow their ranges down pretty well since they're so tight. this will allow you to make folds that they wouldn't postflop. so basically mash the raise button until they don't fold and then just fold unless you flop something pretty good.
any game is beatable, to a point, but there's a great deal to be said for saving your mental energy for a spot where you have an edge worth working, imo. but yeah, the blinds are going to be where you make your money if you happen to find yourself in that kind of spot when you can't get out of it, but you'll have to be tentative about pounding on people that know when to show down ace high, etc.
any game is beatable, to a point, but there's a great deal to be said for saving your mental energy for a spot where you have an edge worth working, imo. but yeah, the blinds are going to be where you make your money if you happen to find yourself in that kind of spot when you can't get out of it, but you'll have to be tentative about pounding on people that know when to show down ace high, etc.
some of my best results in lhe have come from playing in games like that. back in the day the 1/2 lhe games on crypto were like that and i killed them so bad i loved them. stupid ugiegagagbalhahablah
If you do want to still dabble at full ring, try starting up a table. The first few players that sit are usually loose passives and people who like to gamble. They tend to continue to play loose after the table fills, also. Obviously, you should be comfortable playing shorthanded for a little bit.

Value bet the river? Turn action confused me a little.villain: notes say; Sit to left. 3 bet light in pos. good hand reader, will vb rivers light. 49/35/2 over 807 handsPokerStars Limit Hold'em, $4.00 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is Button with 10 :club:, 10 :qhUTG raises, MP calls, CO calls, Hero 3-bets, 1 fold, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO callsFlop: (15.5 SB) 2 :ts, 2 :3h, 2 :D(5 players)BB checks, UTG bets, MP calls, CO calls, Hero raises, 1 fold, UTG calls, 1 fold, CO callsTurn: (11.25 BB) 3 :4h(3 players)UTG checks, CO checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, 1 fold, Hero callsRiver: (15.25 BB) 7 :5c(2 players)UTG checks, Hero...................Total pot: $61 (15.25 BB) | Rake: $2

Value bet the river? Turn action confused me a little.villain: notes say; Sit to left. 3 bet light in pos. good hand reader, will vb rivers light. 49/35/2 over 807 handsPokerStars Limit Hold'em, $4.00 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is Button with 10 :club: , 10 :qhUTG raises, MP calls, CO calls, Hero 3-bets, 1 fold, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO callsFlop: (15.5 SB) 2 :ts , 2 :3h , 2 :D(5 players)BB checks, UTG bets, MP calls, CO calls, Hero raises, 1 fold, UTG calls, 1 fold, CO callsTurn: (11.25 BB) 3 :4h(3 players)UTG checks, CO checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, 1 fold, Hero callsRiver: (15.25 BB) 7 :5c(2 players)UTG checks, Hero...................Total pot: $61 (15.25 BB) | Rake: $2
b/c all day
b/c all day
oh, and the heater's over. boooooo.
dbl boo
Agree, can't imagine not betting here.
I know, right?Could he really slow play that flop with so many players in the hand with AA or KK? nope. wouldn't he cap p/f w/any premium PP AA-JJ? I think so. Is he raising the turn to represent something or trying to shut the other player out to clean up some outs? nah, he has to have a pair here. Did this mother cunt just spike his 77?I checked behind and villain shows 88. Naturally I kick myself for not getting one more bet out of him. Just wanted to make sure the kicking was in order.
Value bet the river? Turn action confused me a little.villain: notes say; Sit to left. 3 bet light in pos. good hand reader, will vb rivers light. 49/35/2 over 807 handsPokerStars Limit Hold'em, $4.00 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is Button with 10 :club:, 10 :qhUTG raises, MP calls, CO calls, Hero 3-bets, 1 fold, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO callsFlop: (15.5 SB) 2 :ts, 2 :3h, 2 :D(5 players)BB checks, UTG bets, MP calls, CO calls, Hero raises, 1 fold, UTG calls, 1 fold, CO callsTurn: (11.25 BB) 3 :4h(3 players)UTG checks, CO checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, 1 fold, Hero callsRiver: (15.25 BB) 7 :5c(2 players)UTG checks, Hero...................Total pot: $61 (15.25 BB) | Rake: $2
All day...call a raise also....ALL DAY

Played some live 4-8 in Biloxi over the weekend...wanted to post this hand. Table is 6-handed, villian is a 50ish female who is suprisingly agressive, rest of the table are rocks. This game has a weird 1-2 blind structure designed to create family pots. Villian straddles for 6, fold, Hero raises to 10 with AQo, folds to villian who calls.Flop As10h7dVillian checks, Hero bets 4, villian callsTurn 7hVillian checks, Hero bets 8, villian raises 16, Hero ??

Played some live 4-8 in Biloxi over the weekend...wanted to post this hand. Table is 6-handed, villian is a 50ish female who is suprisingly agressive, rest of the table are rocks. This game has a weird 1-2 blind structure designed to create family pots. Villian straddles for 6, fold, Hero raises to 10 with AQo, folds to villian who calls.Flop As10h7dVillian checks, Hero bets 4, villian callsTurn 7hVillian checks, Hero bets 8, villian raises 16, Hero ??
I assume she's actually one g short of actually being aggressive. Live poker is so sweet because of this type of play. Look uncomfortable and ask her if she has any kids. If she says yes, then ask her if she breast fed while calling. If she says no, ask her if her life feels empty for not having kids while calling. If she says nothing, fold. wait....don't fold, call.
I assume she's actually one g short of actually being aggressive. Live poker is so sweet because of this type of play. Look uncomfortable and ask her if she has any kids. If she says yes, then ask her if she breast fed while calling. If she says no, ask her if her life feels empty for not having kids while calling. If she says nothing, fold. wait....don't fold, call.
lol, yeah, you cant do anything but call.