Lhe Challenge(?) Thread

Also, if you guys get the small stakes strat games going again, I will do my best to make them and i can probably stake a person or two in them like before. I think they were an excellent learning tool.
I'd be up for this for an hour any night of the week after 7 est.
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My downswing is at -344BB and slightly more than -$11k. It's not a good time for me to be downswinging, but oddly I feel I'm playing better right now than I have at any point this year. I'm trying not to be frustrated, but it's becoming pretty difficult, so I'm going to take a break for now and come back later. Even though, I handle downswings infinitely better now than I did in the past, they still mess with my attitude/outlook much much more than I would like.NB, I really don't have the right outlook to answer your question about sustainable winrates at those levels, but I would like to give you my thoughts sometime soon. PM me or post in here if I don't answer within a week or so.

I wasn't planning on doing it at my current limits. I plan on moving up as my bankroll allows.Not single, plenty of bills. Very likely going to happen. FWiW I'm 35 and have a decent 9-5 that meets my needs well enough, but will never allow me a lifestyle that I would call wealthy.Current bankroll is on Stars. I suppose I have to put in enough volume to make platinum to take advantage of the FPP bonuses. I may move money to other sites in the future.I appreciate all the advice. I was in a shitty place last night and let my frustrations get to me - wasn't playing poker though, as i clearly wasn't in the mindset to play well. I'll be getting back on the grind this weekend, but I think I'll be changing my behavior. I've been playing too many tables and focusing on volume rather than becomeing a better player. This was fine up until 1/2, but apparently my autopilot game that I've learned over the last year isn't good enough to beat these games, and it certainly won't get me over the hump to the higher limits.Much like Dutch, I'd love for any and all to be giving me shit for not posting hands and discussing strat. I'm done whining. I'm ready to start learning and working.
i had you pegged for a kid, sorry.if you are very serious about trying to break into mid limit games i would suggest a few things -1) get better. right now instead of trying to put in huge volume try to get as good as you can. play one table for two hours and take notes about every player there. go rail a mid stakes game and try to put everybody on hands and think about what you would have done in both sides of the situations. read every book you can, especially psychology books. once you hit a certain point one of the big things that will separate you and other players is that the occasional bet they will toss away tilted for no reason. when you and them have that same downswing, yours needs to be 90 bets while theirs is 120. - improving hand reading and playing your best all the time are the two most important things players can do to improve their game. 2) learn more games. with online poker the best games always change. i think that right now its plo but its going to change to being mixed games. 2-7 is also really good right now, and its a game a good holdem player should be able to pick up quickly. the more games you know how to play the easier it is to find a 5/10 game that you can kick the crap out of. 3) take well thought out shots. if you see a 2/4 or a 3/6 game that looks really good take a seat once in a while. dont do this recklessley though. maybe decide that if you feel very good and see a very good game you might put 20% of your roll at risk. if you do this set rules about it and stick to them. 4) consider switching sites for a while. you have about 1k right now. with this kind of bankroll you are actually much better off at full tilt, cake, absolute, ub, or bodog becouse of rakeback. another advantage of this would be that sites that aren't ps and ftp are much softer. remember, you don't care about playing the best, you care about making money. so the goal is to play the worst players you can find for the highest stakes you can find them playing.

I'm going to have some fun today and take the $40 I have left on Cake and bust it or run it up as much as I can. Starting at 1/2 and I will move up when I have 25 BBs for the next level. So I'll move up to 2/4 when I reach $100 and 3/6 when I reach $150, and so on. My goal is 1k. If I reach 3/6 I may make it 30 or 35 BBs before I move to 5/10.

Fwiw I started at .50/1 in January with a $100 roll. I've made just short of $70k this year without depositing a single additional dollar. Granted, I played 10/20 regularly for the year before and was a Supernova already, but with aggressive yet good bankroll management and a ton of hard work, you can move pretty quickly through the limits. You really do have to work your ass off though.If you're serious about this, get a subscription to DeucesCracked.com, post hands here, ask questions, find anyone you can to talk poker with you, do sweat sessions, and just study as hard as you can.
oh, it's certainly possible to grind it up if you don't have to make any withdrawals. shit, i'd be playing with you if i didn't have to take out 1/2 my br every month :club:. i was just under the impression that he wanted to not have a job and play professionally at 1/2. that's REALLY hard, if even possible at all.

saving for a couple of months gets you way past that hump.what do your monthly bills add up to? $2,500? You can accumulate that in 'benefits' in a single week, even assuming you're breaking even. And then you'll have 3 more weeks to contribute to your savings.

oh, it's certainly possible to grind it up if you don't have to make any withdrawals. shit, i'd be playing with you if i didn't have to take out 1/2 my br every month :club:. i was just under the impression that he wanted to not have a job and play professionally at 1/2. that's REALLY hard, if even possible at all.
I've made quite a few withdrawals as well. I pay all of my (admittedly low) bills through poker, and I buy myself stuff quite often. I did happen to run hot at the lower limits and moved up quite aggressively, but I think that it's possible to start low and make a good living. Abba is right; saving for a little while at the start gives you a nice cushion and allows you to move up and out of the raketrap games quite quickly.
saving for a couple of months gets you way past that hump.what do your monthly bills add up to? $2,500? You can accumulate that in 'benefits' in a single week, even assuming you're breaking even. And then you'll have 3 more weeks to contribute to your savings.
I'm confused. Saving as in saving outside income for poker, or saving as in not withdrawing from bankroll? By benefits, you mean rakeback and bonuses?
At what point in 6-max is the rake no longer a big deal, winrate-wise. Like, I would imagine it's more possible to be 4BB/100 at 2/4 than at .5/1. Is that completely wrong?
I think 10/20 is probably the level where the rake starts to have a minimal effect on winrate.There are rake sweetspots at the lower limits though. For example at Stars the rake is actually lower at 2/4 than it is at 1/2 since since they only start raking the pot at $20 and they only take the second dollar at $2. At 2/4 a lot of standard raise, blind defends, bet the flop and win the pot hands aren't raked at all.
I'm confused. Saving as in saving outside income for poker, or saving as in not withdrawing from bankroll? By benefits, you mean rakeback and bonuses?
You should find a site with good bonuses and rake back. I never realized how big of a deal bonus's are but they are super +ev. A buddy of mine makes 20/hr just on bonus's/rake back at 200nl.
well, i'm paying for everything for both myself and my gf while she's in school, which is a bit rough, with student loan payments, etc. all told, it's about 4k/mo, which is pretty rough at 3/6. keep in mind that i'm not a machine and can't really play more than 1k hands a day, tops, with 1 1/2 days off a week so my gf doesn't dump me. :)on that note, today's day off was pretty great. and i managed to turn a 60BB loss into a 30BB loss last night before it all ended, which was pretty good considering that there was one amazingly hot lucktard who took 80BB off me HU (even after that, pt has him as a 3BB/100 loser over 500 hands. goddammit, lol). back at it tomorrow--time to start a new streak!dink, i didn't mean to imply that you weren't making withdrawals or anything--mostly just meant to whine about the fact that i (like an idiot) went pro with no savings and a 3k bankroll, and that it's been a fairly rough go for me, even though i've only had one losing month in 2.5 years. fortunately, i'm off my stake and have 2 months of savings now, and i should be able to be completely "responsible" (whatever that means, lol) by the end of october.
well, i'm paying for everything for both myself and my gf while she's in school, which is a bit rough, with student loan payments, etc. all told, it's about 4k/mo, which is pretty rough at 3/6. keep in mind that i'm not a machine and can't really play more than 1k hands a day, tops, with 1 1/2 days off a week so my gf doesn't dump me. :)on that note, today's day off was pretty great. and i managed to turn a 60BB loss into a 30BB loss last night before it all ended, which was pretty good considering that there was one amazingly hot lucktard who took 80BB off me HU (even after that, pt has him as a 3BB/100 loser over 500 hands. goddammit, lol). back at it tomorrow--time to start a new streak!dink, i didn't mean to imply that you weren't making withdrawals or anything--mostly just meant to whine about the fact that i (like an idiot) went pro with no savings and a 3k bankroll, and that it's been a fairly rough go for me, even though i've only had one losing month in 2.5 years. fortunately, i'm off my stake and have 2 months of savings now, and i should be able to be completely "responsible" (whatever that means, lol) by the end of october.
Oh, I know. Don't worry about me. I really am not very sensitive about this stuff. I more just wanted to give Tortuga an idea of what was possible starting at low stakes and working up. It's all gooooooood.
Dink, you're such a phony. You sent me like seven PMs complaining about Checky's implications about your profit.
Hey shhhh, I've got an internet persona to protect here.