Things To Look For On Cash Games

sites always have h/hr, av pot, etc. what types of things are good to look for in games. obv a high average pot is good, but what things do you guys look for. i mean things like average stack, how much everyone has bought in for, etc. im only asking, cos i was just about to sit at a table, but eveyone had less than 80% max buy in... i thought twice about it, cos i didnt know if it was worth playing craps wit short stacks

Im not an online poker expert. But when I look for a live game I look for tables with lots of action, so I relate that to "% of players who see the flop" with online poker. The higher the better imo.

Im not an online poker expert. But when I look for a live game I look for tables with lots of action, so I relate that to "% of players who see the flop" with online poker. The higher the better imo.
do u post in every thread? seems like every thread has a post by you in it.
sites always have h/hr, av pot, etc. what types of things are good to look for in games. obv a high average pot is good, but what things do you guys look for. i mean things like average stack, how much everyone has bought in for, etc. im only asking, cos i was just about to sit at a table, but eveyone had less than 80% max buy in... i thought twice about it, cos i didnt know if it was worth playing craps wit short stacks
I look for the combination of the highest % of players seeing a flop and the largest pot average. Means people are playing too many hands, and even better then that are overvaluing them after teh floop
I'll take the Lakers to not make it out of the first round...name your price.
I'll take the Lakers to not make it out of the first round...name your price.
is that bet only open for kobe2odom?

I look for bad players with big stacks. If I don't know anyone at the table, I usually look for high % to the flop and smallish to medium sized avg. pots, looking for loose passive players.

You should look for tables with a high % of players per hand and large pots. However the best thing to look for is a table full of players with like 80-90% of a full buyin on the table. Good players dont sit without full buyins. Its the single most important thing in game selection and never ever fails.

However the best thing to look for is a table full of players with like 80-90% of a full buyin on the table. Good players dont sit without full buyins. Its the single most important thing in game selection and never ever fails.
QFT. The guy who always tops off after the blinds pass is someone to watch out for. And I hate playing with short stacks. I prefer a table where everyone has between 80% and 200% of the max buy-in. Guys with giant stacks above 2 BI always make me wary too. I'll pretty much never sit at a table with more than 2 people with < 40 BB. At 6-max I don't worry too much about players to the flop and pot size since I can make money both at overly loose table and at overly tight tables.
I play limit, so the amount of money in front of an opponent is less of an issue, but I would think that less than a full buy in means that they've already been losing money or they bought in low because they suck or are playing out of their bankroll.
He didn't post at all for years, he has to make up for lost time :club:
I look for the combination of the highest % of players seeing a flop and the largest pot average. Means people are playing too many hands, and even better then that are overvaluing them after teh floop
QFT

I look for a high avg pot, max of 1 shortstacker, and a couple big stacks. I like playing deep so long as I am reasonably able to figure out who is playing well and isn't stacking off lightly, so I don't mind sitting with someone on 2-300 BBs. If I find out the table is tougher than avg I just take notes and leave.

i didnt know if it was worth playing craps wit short stacks
this idea of "playing craps with short stacks" is WAY off in my opinion. short stack hit and run artists are where a lot of profit comes from. for one they they don't really understand poker if they think that short stacking and hitting and running is the most profitable way to play. their lack of fundamental understanding of the real game leaks in to their table play so that they are often making too loose of a call for their stack or not pushing an edge hard enough or whatever.once you get past the initial frustration of people playing short, sucking out, and leaving as soon as they double or whatever, you'll have a really fun time playing with them. like calling a raise for 1/3rd of their stack from the BB w/ 57s and getting it all in when a 7 flops.i have fun playing them and would never view it as "craps."
is that bet only open for kobe2odom?
up to 2K on stars.edit: wait. 2K? that's crazy and not fun. 200 on stars. whew. i already feel better.

it depends how short players are IMO. i don't want to have to tighten up a lot when multitabling because someone is shoving over my opens. If they have *some* money and aren't smart about short stacking, sure - play them. But otherwise it's a lot of hassle.

I don't mean to distract from the converstaion, but your avatar is very hot.

I sit at a table by myself and see who comes. If the same people come everytime, I know I have made an impression.Otherwise I look for tables that are full of people multitabling, because I really like to have to wait for people to fold because they are too busy at another table. I think 30 hands per hour is too darn fast. Slow down and enjoy the interweb.

1. medium to high size avg pot2. high VPIP3. no short stackers4. low agr factor (some people like this number very high, but i don't like variance as much)5. tight and/or passive or ABC players on my left6. loose and/or agr players on my right7. if there's a short stacker have him on my right8. players with low steal attention (this stat converges pretty fast so i find it very useful, to me PRF percent is not half as useful without knowing this number)

1. players that are sitting with 80-90% of a full buy in2. #1 is all that really matters as all the other things can be misconstrued easily.3. #1 is all that really matters cause good players never sit without a full stack
fyp
this idea of "playing craps with short stacks" is WAY off in my opinion. short stack hit and run artists are where a lot of profit comes from. for one they they don't really understand poker if they think that short stacking and hitting and running is the most profitable way to play.
Reason's I don't like playing with short stackers- if they open and everyone folds I have to fold my small pocket pairs and I love flopping sets- many double and leave or bust and leave so it's hard to get a read- if you're in a multi-way pot with a short stack and a big stack you can't play optimally against the short stackThat last point is really the only serious one. Short stackers gain an advantage when they're in a multiway pot since the big stacks need to worry about each other. Read some of Ed Millers recent stuff about short stack play and you'll realize that short stacks are not to your advantage. And multiple short stacks really kill the game unless you want to play pre-flop all-in bingo.