overall best bluff

i think we coulddo a lot with this topic. i would like to here from some of the more experienced players and get there input on this topic. we could also go into the WORST bluff. I only have one catch: it has to be from the wsop or thw wpt. either one of these can be posted thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One that stands out to me is the one from the 2003 World Series of Poker involving Scotty Nguyen. I don't remember who he was against, but he made a huge reraise and then said 'You can not call this bet. This too much for you.' The guy folds, and Scotty turns over 8 3 off suit. He holds them up and says 'I raise $100,000 with these two cards baby. Oh $#^@, I thought we play blackjack! %%!' I love that hand

One that stands out to me is the one from the 2003 World Series of Poker involving Scotty Nguyen. I don't remember who he was against, but he made a huge reraise and then said 'You can not call this bet. This too much for you.' The guy folds, and Scotty turns over 8 3 off suit. He holds them up and says 'I raise $100,000 with these two cards baby. Oh $#^@, I thought we play blackjack! %%!' I love that hand
Scotty's the man. "Oh s***, I thought we play blackjack..." roflmaoI must have missed that one, but it's classic.
Guest XXEddie

During heads up play in the Championship Poker at the Plaza tournament, Freedy Deeb had A K and Daniel held A 7. The flop came K 2 6 with two hearts. Freedy fired out $16,000 and Daniel called. The turn brought a 4, which was a scare card for Freedy because if Daniel hand 5 3, he would be drawing dead. The river brought the 4 of HEARTS. This is another scare card for Freedy because now if Daniel had any type of a draw it now beats him. If he had 3 4 or 4 5 he would now have trips. If he had 3 5 he has a straight. If he had a flush draw, it got there. Nevertheless, he bet $65,000. After thinking Daniel re-raises another $100,000. Here's why this is a great bet!1. It looks like Daniel wants a call, so Freedy should be scared about that.2. The raise is so small that even if Freedy calls, Daniel would not have been crippled.Freedy finally folds and Daniel says "If I show a bluff, is that good for the game?". "Sure!" Freedy replies. "Alright, that must be good for the game!" Daniel says. After that hand Daniel was in control and won the tournament the same way he busted Ted Forrest...A K v. 5 5.

There was one last night on ESPN Classic that I hadn't seen in a while that was really good.It was the WSOP '98 final table with Scotty Nguyen and Mcbride. It was after McBride had took down the 1.4m pot with trip 4s, and it had cut a good bit into Scotty's lead. On a hand where both players checked the flop and turn, McBride then bet out for 120K on the river. Scotty thought for a bit and put out a raise to total 300K. McBride, who hadn't made a hand but had two face cards in the hole, folded. Scotty turned up something to the effect of like 5-6 offsuit, which also left him with no hand - and he showed it as he scooped the chips.Now, I don't know how many hands were edited out between that hand and the final one, where Scotty got him with the 9s full, but it seemed like McBride was never the same after that. Maybe it can't be called "best bluff," because it didn't get McBride off a made hand, but it did completely turn around that heads up match and cleared the way to ultimate victory for Scotty.That '98 final table is an interesting watch. Seems like there was more poker in that final table than some of the events we've seen recently.

• 3 weeks later...

Phill Ivey vs Peter Giordano.No raise pre-flop. Flops A-6-rag and Phill takes a stab at the pot. Peter G makes a standard defensive raise with A-Q.Phill reads his target perfect and puts him on a big Ace. Phill proceeds to dart his eyes around like he's luvin' his hand and puts Peter all-in. No reasonable player can call Phill with AK, AQ right? Perfect execution because if Phill got called with his Q-6, he was dead to the 2 sixes.

-I think that might have been against Humberto Brenes- yea that was classic.
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally am a big fan of 2004 wsop final table.....Raise and a re-raise I believe, Dan Harrington on the button REraises to 1.2mil with 6-2 i believe, and gets all three of them to fold and takes down the pot....beautiful

Guest XXEddie
I personally am a big fan of 2004 wsop final table.....Raise and a re-raise I believe, Dan Harrington on the button REraises to 1.2mil with 6-2 i believe, and gets all three of them to fold and takes down the pot....beautiful
he only bluffed arieh and raymer.....also...wow he won a raise and a call....daniel won a huge pot...(for that tournament)
know there is some contorversy that the hand ever happened, but I think one of the greatest bluff I've ever seen is Hellmuth forcing Tony D to fold three jacks on a Kh-4c-Js-Jh board.
I wouldnt call that a nice bluff by phil....more of a bad play by Tony D
know there is some contorversy that the hand ever happened, but I think one of the greatest bluff I've ever seen is Hellmuth forcing Tony D to fold three jacks on a Kh-4c-Js-Jh board.
Heh, didn't you nominate the Daniel vs. Freddy Deeb hand? Freddy butchered that hand on every street. Give Phil his due.. a great play , as was Daniel's
Daniel's bluff. Greatest bluff in television poker. Greatest bluff of all time? No way. Televised? yes.
that bluff was great, but I don't think it was the greatest tlevised bluff. The one Stuey put on Ron Stanley was just massive. He yook down a real big pot, damaged the second chip stack, and he put Stanley so badly on tilt that Ron crashed out in fourth as opposed to heading for a showdown with Stuey for the title. Ron was the second chip stack coming into the final table and him and stuey were in control af a good amount of the chips when play started. If stuey had lost that pot Ron Stanley would've been the massive chip leader and some of stuey's invicible cloak would've come off, he basically put his entire tournament at risk on that bluff
Guest XXEddie
Heh, didn't you nominate the Daniel vs. Freddy Deeb hand? Freddy butchered that hand on every street. Give Phil his due.. a great play , as was Daniel's
so if you have A2 of spades, and your opponent has 67 of spades and the board is 9 10 J of spades....and you get him to fold....thats not a good play on your art...that stupidity on your opponent. DN sensed weakness and felt he could take it away....I wouldnt feel weak with trip jacks

The hand with Phil where tony landed trip jacks never happend. It is a fact. Look on Paul Phillips website there are even pictures to show that the hand was spliced. There were others that were spliced as well. A good bluff requires the other person in the hand to lay down a big hand in my opinion. Farhas lay down with money maker flat out made sense. Sammy was a better player and felt he could win the tourney later. In interviews he had stated that the play by Moneymaker was stupid. He just did not feel like commiting his chips at that point. Freddy laid down AK with a big piece of the flop. In my opinion that was the best bluff I have ever seen since there is no camera at my house game!!!

In actuallity another great bluff happend in last years WSOP with Murphy and Raymer. Raymer bet Murphy raised Raymer re-raised and Murphy went all in. Great read on Raymers lucky a$$ in my opinion Moneymaker played WAY better than Raymer, Raymers game is trash. Murphy also in my opinion made the stupidest play of the tourney when he got Josh to fold his flush all he had to do was make a small bet or check.JMO.

Guest XXEddie
In actuallity another great bluff happend in last years WSOP with Murphy and Raymer. Raymer bet Murphy raised Raymer re-raised and Murphy went all in. Great read on Raymers lucky a$$ in my opinion Moneymaker played WAY better than Raymer, Raymers game is trash. Murphy also in my opinion made the stupidest play of the tourney when he got Josh to fold his flush all he had to do was make a small bet or check.JMO.
i disagree....the difference is DN and stu's and the other blluffs make his opponent fold a good hanbd....Raymer was bluffing to

Freddie Deeb made a weak lead into a pot when a scare card hit. He bet a small amount DN's bluff there made all the sense in the world Murphy was raised and then re-raised....how is that not impressive? Raymer shot 3 bullets at the pot!