a shorthanded session(i love action)

What do you do when you end up at a table with someone who has a similar aggressive style to yours in a short handed game?  Do you switch tables, or do you start to scrap with 'em?  I play a similar style to this on the 3/6 games on Party, and while I think it's probably +EV to just move tables when encountering a fellow LAG (especially to my left), I tend to get too caught up in my own testosterone and want to take the guy down.  Do you adjust to another aggressive player's style, or do you try to make him/her adjust to you?
I adjust to them. It's better to find a good table but with aggressive players, just play ABC poker. If they are LAG, check and call a whole bunch. Don't get fancy...they know all about that.The problem with finding a table is that you may sit down at a 6-max table with 3 really bad players and 2 aggressive players. You definately don't want to leave, so you have to adjust.
You definately don't want to leave, so you have to adjust.
Definitely agree with that. I just recently switched from NL to limit, and my still developing style in limit is completely different. My default style in limit is basically just trying to run people over, but I think the best style is one that changes constantly, so no one can ever figure you out or put you on a hand. Working on that.
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (5 handed) converter  Preflop: wrto is MP with 9, A.  1 fold, wrto raises, 2 folds, BB calls.  Flop: (4.50 SB) J, 4, 5 (2 players)  BB bets, wrto calls.  Turn: (3.25 BB) K (2 players)  BB bets, wrto calls.  River: (5.25 BB) A (2 players)  BB bets, wrto raises, BB calls.  Final Pot: 9.25 BB  Same dude with Q6.  BB has Jd Qh (one pair, jacks).  wrto has 9s As (one pair, aces).  Outcome: wrto wins 9.25 BB.
I'm a little confused by this hand. Why do you keep calling here? Do you think A-high is good? I realize that you're playing the player somewhat, but I don't understand the logic behind this. I'm not saying it was the wrong play; I'm just curious what your reasoning was, since I'm still working on my limit game, especially shorthanded.

After he calls my raise and the bets for the 1,000,000,000th time I figure my A-high *might* be good. So I call down. If he is bluffing he folds to a raise...if he has me beat I am either getting 3-bet or chip spewing. If he's bluffing, I want him to keep bluffing...if he has something, I want to lose the minimum.

Plus, calling that down, even if you lose, helps you out later on in the session, I think. If the player knows you are willing to call him down with A high, he will be much more reluctant to bet into you with nothing and you can take more pots off of him. Plus, when you do have a hand, he may assume you have nothing and pay you off.I think it's a good play.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (5 handed) converter Preflop: wrto is Button with A, T. 2 folds, wrto raises, 1 fold, BB calls. Flop: (4.50 SB) 9, 4, Q (2 players) BB bets, wrto calls. This guy is catching alot of cards. He's been calling from the BB with any two cards and leading the flop. I finally get a hand worthy of calling him down. Turn: (3.25 BB) J (2 players) BB bets, wrto raises, BB calls. Semi-bluff/value raise River: (7.25 BB) 5 (2 players) BB checks, wrto checks. Final Pot: 7.25 BB BB has 6c Qs (one pair, queens). wrto has As Td (high card, ace). Outcome: BB wins 7.25 BB. hmm, the raise pre-flop is appropriate as is the call on the flop. The raise on the turn is not really a good play in my mind. If he's first to act on the flop and you even mention that hes been catchin cards and it woudn't be crazy for him to flip up Q 6 like he did, then why the raise with only a gutshot and one over? If you woulda put him on a weird/weak Q, he wouldn't fold to a lower card on the turn. but when you say semi-bluff/value raise thats when i really got confused... you only have 7 outs that will improve your hand.. had you had those 7 outs plus a flush draw, i could see it as an appropriate value-raise with +EV, but it really just struck me as odd.don't get me wrong though, almost all of the other hands were played extremely well
He has an OESD, not a gutshot.Actually, I think I really like this play - given what wrto said about the BB, he could easily have just a pair of nines or fours here (unless he would get scared of the second overcard and not bet the turn with those hands).Such hands (or a weak pocket pair) would have a tough time calling the turn raise. It's a semibluff/value-raise because he's not totally sure he's behind (if he's ahead, then he wants to raise for value here).Plus, it got him a free showdown.
oh wow, changes alot of my opinons than, didn't see the 9. read too quickly, my bad.
What do you do when you end up at a table with someone who has a similar aggressive style to yours in a short handed game? Do you switch tables, or do you start to scrap with 'em? I play a similar style to this on the 3/6 games on Party, and while I think it's probably +EV to just move tables when encountering a fellow LAG (especially to my left), I tend to get too caught up in my own testosterone and want to take the guy down. Do you adjust to another aggressive player's style, or do you try to make him/her adjust to you?
when its me, he tries to move to my left, lol, or he just get up and leaves. YOu don't want to play against me :wink: