Daniel's latest blog, is almost a surreal read. When thinking about real life the thoughts are commonly seperated into "us" and "them". Us with our problems, inner devils, and them with their perfect lives and piles of money. The us being common working folk, the them being all those people who are idolized and nearly worshipped. I mean to think, all of these thousands of people come to this site to get a piece of Daniel, to feel they are a part of him. To see someone I look up to at a moment of reflection, maybe a little doubt, but certainly reminiscent of down times it makes me not only see Daniel as more human, but makes me feel more human myself. We are all touchable, we all have weaknesses, we all falter. When you're placed in the lime light it is as if you turn into a character incapable of emotions, other than those emotions we see as entertaining. It's an odd role reversal, we look up to them and want to be a part of them, but in turn they are placed in a position of responsibility where they are pressured to act in the way we want them to act. I'm getting a bit off on a tangent there, but seeing a real person with real problems, real thoughts, real emotions makes them more real, more raw. What am I trying to say? i guess I'm saying I'm now a bigger fan of Daniel than I was, and i was a big fan. I wish Daniel well, I hope he finds the balance in his life that will bring him the most happiness, and overall enjoys his life and enjoys the work he's doing! Here's to new beginnings!Cheers!Cole

Glad you liked the word definitive Daniel. I often wonder what being a superstar, having neverending adulation, and significant access to almost anyone or anything does to the human psyche. I never get why people speak badly of athletes or actors when they are caught for minor transgressions. If I were to suddenly come into 5 million dollars one can only dream of the path of destruction that my friends and I would leave in our path. The patience, maturity, and professional drive of someone like Daniel is rather amazing. I think it is cool that Daniel was able to step outside of the moment in Sydney and take a rather objective assessment of what he was, what he is, and what he truly wants to be. If he is cut does he not bleed? If he is sucked out on does he not feel slighted?

Damn Negreanu. I haven't posted in ages. You have certainly come a long way from that arrogant Richie Rich from two years ago when you were at the peak of your success and delusional about your place in this world. I have to say. This blog is the best poker blog I've read from you since your old school articles, from back in the day--the days when you were hungry.You just may have inspired a few people with that blog, buddy--beyond poker, in the game of life.

I feel completely out of my element for the most part- and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Growth comes from putting yourself in situations that aren't always comfortable. Having said that, I don't like that "other me." Quiet, shy, and awkward. It's not at all who I am, but at times when I'm a bit uncomfortable I tend to shy away from being myself. My real self is pretty loud. Confident in all kinds of scenarios, never awkward, and certainly never quiet. This other self comes out when I'm a bit intimidated by my surroundings. A defense mechanism to help make sure I don't say, or do anything stupid. To simply conform to what others are doing or saying, letting others lead and following along quietly. Essentially, the exact opposite of who I really am.
It's all who you really are dude. It's a complete package, the ying to the yang, the inner mechanism that helps you sit back and reflect. Denying it is denying yourself.It's also God talking to you?It's all good man. Sounds like a great trip so far.gl on the set, safe travels back.

Daniel, if you get a second go to youtube.com and watch The Scientist by Coldplay. It is the perfect theme song for your introspective blog.

It's all who you really are dude. It's a complete package, the ying to the yang, the inner mechanism that helps you sit back and reflect. Denying it is denying yourself.It's also God talking to you?It's all good man. Sounds like a great trip so far.gl on the set, safe travels back.
Exactly. If he were ONLY the loud super self-confident, always the life of the party poker star ... I wouldn't be such a fan.It's blog entries like this one that make a lot us come to this site regularly. Being privy to Daniel's thoughts as he tries something new, stretches a little, and continues to grow as a person is inspirational -- even if we don't know the details of what he's been up to.Enjoy your journey, Daniel. Thanks for giving us a glimpse.
As somber as the tone of the blog may appear, I actually like where I'm at and want to stay. I like the idea of starting from scratch, being alone, and trying to take on something new- from the bottom up. It feels like an exceptionally tough road but I'm starting to realize that if it isn't tough, then it's just not as fulfilling. When I was 22 years old I remember walking back from the Mirage to the Budget Suites after just going bust in a 20-40 game after a very tough week at the tables. I walked, and spent time thinking about the things I wanted and if it was even possible? I thought about how hard I'd have to work and how much I had to learn. I thought about what I would do if poker didn't work out for me? Did I have any other options, or would I end up like the wino I just passed and gave my last dollar to? When I finally "made it" in the poker world, when I look back at how it all happened, that walk was that defining moment of my poker journey. Completely alone in a strange city, a bit unsure of myself. Stripped of the monster ego I'd developed beating up on weaker opponents in Toronto, and exposed for what I was at the time- a pretty good poker player, but just nowhere near as good as I thought I was. A sense of realization for the first time really, that I was tackling an obscure profession with an extremely low success rate, especially back then (before the internet age). It was the closest I'd ever come to giving up the game completely. To packing it in and trying to reassemble a life that took some turns that seemed ill advised. Then I woke up the next morning... hungry for knowledge. Hungry to get back to work and learn, and even relearn the game. The idea of quitting never crossed my mind again- not for a second. Not because it was an easy climb from there, it certainly wasn't. Simply because I found a strength inside me that, until that day, I didn't know existed.
Honestly, I didn't even know I needed to hear this until I heard this. Just a stunning ending the blog.
Daniel's latest blog, is almost a surreal read. When thinking about real life the thoughts are commonly seperated into "us" and "them". Us with our problems, inner devils, and them with their perfect lives and piles of money. The us being common working folk, the them being all those people who are idolized and nearly worshipped. I mean to think, all of these thousands of people come to this site to get a piece of Daniel, to feel they are a part of him. To see someone I look up to at a moment of reflection, maybe a little doubt, but certainly reminiscent of down times it makes me not only see Daniel as more human, but makes me feel more human myself. We are all touchable, we all have weaknesses, we all falter. When you're placed in the lime light it is as if you turn into a character incapable of emotions, other than those emotions we see as entertaining. It's an odd role reversal, we look up to them and want to be a part of them, but in turn they are placed in a position of responsibility where they are pressured to act in the way we want them to act. I'm getting a bit off on a tangent there, but seeing a real person with real problems, real thoughts, real emotions makes them more real, more raw. What am I trying to say? i guess I'm saying I'm now a bigger fan of Daniel than I was, and i was a big fan. I wish Daniel well, I hope he finds the balance in his life that will bring him the most happiness, and overall enjoys his life and enjoys the work he's doing! Here's to new beginnings!Cheers!Cole
I think we all became interested in Daniel's life because for most of us he is living our fantasy. He's been HUGELY successful doing what he loves most & has acheived more than he could have ever dreamed of.What keeps us coming back are the blogs like this one. Can you ever imagine someone like Hellmuth writing this? Your openness & honesty are what make you unique. Thanks for the good work Daniel.

I've been a fan of Dn's for a while. First because I thought he was wicked cute, then because I discovered a genius under those good looks. When I found FCP and started reading his blogs I knew I was hooked for good.But, now he's just scaring the hell out of me. His recent posts about his life journeys..it's like he's reading my mind.We're the same age. Actually, I'm two days older than him. Maybe it's something that comes to people at this age...anyway, it's nice to hear similar ideas/concerns coming from someone who can articulate them so well. I write in a journal, but wouldn't necessarily wanted thousands of people reading it! Pretty brave of him.