I am noticing a LOT more people min-raising in NLHE tourneys & cash games recently. Some are trying to induce calls & raises with a big hand, some are not realizing it is NLHE. Any thoughts as to when this would be a good move?

its a good move when you know that your opponent has a marginal hand and you know that he also knows that you have a monster. its a good move as a bluff when it accomplishes the same thing as a bigger raise (example: you know your opponent is totally bluffing with undercards on an QKA board, you minraises his raise and he folds).

people that min raise put me on tilt.....but it seems to induce raises quite a bit, generally i like to min raise when effective stacks are smaller and against people that i think are cabable of 3 bet bluffing

people that min raise put me on tilt.....but it seems to induce raises quite a bit, generally i like to min raise when effective stacks are smaller and against people that i think are cabable of 3 bet bluffing
jc min raises something like 60%+ of pots preflop early in tournaments.donk move imo.(seriously though, it completely depends on the player)

Poker is a funny game sometimes. Back in the day, minraising was considered a powerful raise, the strongest raise, since it was so obvious you wanted to induce action. People figured that out and when online poker started changing and becoming more difficult, in higher limit games, it became known as a donk move that people would come over the top of constantly. This is around the time that the button raise became something that the blinds would come back over the top of extremely light. Remember when it was a great move to steal from the button? Now we are going retro and things like the min raise and the button steal are becoming more popular again. The button raise is the new UTG raise which was the new button raise. Button raises must indicate strength, since I wouldn't just straight steal, because that's not a good play anymore, right? Same thing is going on with min-raises. We are going retro.

jc min raises something like 60%+ of pots preflop early in tournaments.(seriously though, it completely depends on the player)
QFTMost people you see do it, are just idiots and think they want calls with AA.Some of the good players do it for a reason though.In cash games, I don't see the point. Not preflop at least.
Poker is a funny game sometimes. Back in the day, minraising was considered a powerful raise, the strongest raise, since it was so obvious you wanted to induce action. People figured that out and when online poker started changing and becoming more difficult, in higher limit games, it became known as a donk move that people would come over the top of constantly. This is around the time that the button raise became something that the blinds would come back over the top of extremely light. Remember when it was a great move to steal from the button? Now we are going retro and things like the min raise and the button steal are becoming more popular again. The button raise is the new UTG raise which was the new button raise. Button raises must indicate strength, since I wouldn't just straight steal, because that's not a good play anymore, right? Same thing is going on with min-raises. We are going retro.
Bold says it all.Pay attention in this game, cause just as you're getting used to something, it flip flops.
QFTMost people you see do it, are just idiots and think they want calls with AA.Some of the good players do it for a reason though.In cash games, I don't see the point. Not preflop at least.
i've gotten a lot of stacks with trash off people who did this offering me ridiculous implied odds.

I think I use the minraise almost solely in blind v. blind situations and late position raises (usually when i have a big stack and we're deep in a tournament where the blinds are very significant). One of the best uses that I've found for this are in this type of example.Avg. (37,500)Blinds (800,1600)Hero (button)-62,500sb -34,300bb-12,600Im dealt J 9 offsuit... its folded around to me. I dont want to commit myself to the BB's all in and 3200 is going to accomplish the same thing as a raise 4000 as the BB cant just flat call ur raise with so few chips.

i see people doing it like crazy in my 6max sngs. its the stupidest/dumb play and theyll lead out min at the flop too. they generally seem to fold to any resistance as well, or will call your raises and keep firing out the min the next street

lol what the hell are you saying here? Was that second paragraph supposed to make sense or was it just comedic rambling. Funny post nonetheless in my opinion.
lol what the hell are you saying here? Was that second paragraph supposed to make sense or was it just comedic rambling. Funny post nonetheless in my opinion.
I'd bet you struggled with things like "What is 3 times 3 times 3 divided by 2" in math class...good read?Edit: I guess it's funny that I said "We are going retro" twice. Didn't realize I did that.
Wierd, I understood it perfectly have had similar thoughts myself.

I like to use the min raise in a couple places. in position with a strong hand and the original bet was big enough. If the original bet was small, I will raise bigger. If I know a guy will play I will overbet the pot. Just depends on the situation but I do think a min raise is a good way to get paid off

I like to use the min raise in a couple places. in position with a strong hand and the original bet was big enough. If the original bet was small, I will raise bigger. If I know a guy will play I will overbet the pot. Just depends on the situation but I do think a min raise is a good way to get paid off
But can you fold AA on the floop?I love it when I'm in the BB and someone minraises and I call with J4off and hit and get paid off because the player can't fold AA. Then they're like "WTF?!?! You called with J4?!" Yessir!!

I think it's a bit like overbetting. It just happens that a lot of people do it in the wrong situations.I have been experimenting with the min-raise preflop in HU SNGs. Doesn't make too much of a difference for me though, I used to do 2.5BB on the button.

I took him to mean that the semantics of a betting action depend upon its temporal context. in comedic rambling form, of course.

A min raise means different things from different people. If someone does it more then once then you really want to pay attention to the situation and if it gets to showdown their holding. Some people min-raise with junk. Some min-raise with monsters. The min-raise is neither good nor bad on its own. It all depends on the situation and in particular how the table is going to react to it.

So is it making a comeback? I saw it at least 20 times in the 4 SNGs I played tonight. My BR doesn't support anything over $20, but wondered if it was prevelant in larger buy-ins as well.