There's No One Like Gus

I had seen all these episodes before and there is some pretty good action in them. The only problem is the announcers. They won't shut up for a second and its hard to listen to what the players are saying. That is one of the most entertaining parts of any poker show.

luck scale Gus Hanson>eric Seidel>mike matusow
The actual (poker) luck scale:Every human on earth = every other human on earth.When poker players start realizing this they will be much better off. If you truly believe that Mike Matusow (or anyone) has worse poker luck over the course of their life than someone else, you need to take a statistics course.I'm sorry if this post makes me sound like an a-hole, but I'm pretty tired of all this "man, I'm so unlucky" garbage I keep hearing.Here's another secret I'll let you in on: You know why people like Matusow have gained a reputation for being "unlucky"? It's because the rest of the players go along with it in hopes the suckers won't stop playing with them. When Matusow says "man, I just have the worst luck, I've busted 3 times today due to bad luck" in a cash game, what do you think the other guys are going to say "no, you've busted because you are the worst player at the table with little to no discipline". No, they want his money, so the encourage his "victim" mentality. Anyway, sorry for the rant.
Every human on earth = every other human on earth.[/b]
So not true -- there is natural "luck variance" between individuals across the human population. What you're saying is that, because there is an average height and weight of the human animal, all human animals are the same size.
The actual (poker) luck scale:Every human on earth = every other human on earth.When poker players start realizing this they will be much better off. If you truly believe that Mike Matusow (or anyone) has worse poker luck over the course of their life than someone else, you need to take a statistics course.I'm sorry if this post makes me sound like an a-hole, but I'm pretty tired of all this "man, I'm so unlucky" garbage I keep hearing.Here's another secret I'll let you in on: You know why people like Matusow have gained a reputation for being "unlucky"? It's because the rest of the players go along with it in hopes the suckers won't stop playing with them. When Matusow says "man, I just have the worst luck, I've busted 3 times today due to bad luck" in a cash game, what do you think the other guys are going to say "no, you've busted because you are the worst player at the table with little to no discipline". No, they want his money, so the encourage his "victim" mentality. Anyway, sorry for the rant.
Thanks for the lesson, prof.
So not true -- there is natural "luck variance" between individuals across the human population. What you're saying is that, because there is an average height and weight of the human animal, all human animals are the same size.
<----------------Naturally lucky
tell that to someone who drew a bad draft number during the viet nam warlater in the same episode this rich amature is playing like a total toolhe raises pre flop with J4the flop is something like 2 4 8 with two hearts and he bets 5kmatusow goes all in for 50k with AJhthe tool says - you're unlucky i calli don't have to tell you how this ends

if you measured luck after say ten years of poker there would likely be a normal distribution with most people being neutral but there would still be tails of really lucky and unlucky playerssomeone out there has made a ton of money playing slots and it isn't because they are good at itluck still exists in the long run not for most but at least for 20 % that doesn't mean you could predict that gus would win a coin toss with matusow but it's quite possible that if mike did a study of all of his all in hands and the number he should have won that god hates him - i'm not saying its so but if gus got hit by a bus tomorrow and natalie portman fell off the bus and onto his johnson i wouldn't be shocked

if you measured luck after say ten years of poker there would likely be a normal distribution with most people being neutral but there would still be tails of really lucky and unlucky playerssomeone out there has made a ton of money playing slots and it isn't because they are good at itluck still exists in the long run not for most but at least for 20 % that doesn't mean you could predict that gus would win a coin toss with matusow but it's quite possible that if mike did a study of all of his all in hands and the number he should have won that god hates him - i'm not saying its so but if gus got hit by a bus tomorrow and natalie portman fell off the bus and onto his johnson i wouldn't be shocked
I think that after 10 years of playing poker (fairly regularly.. say, 5 hours a week), the 'luck variance' would be almost exactly the same for everybody. Probably within 0.1% of each other.Other things that have been mentioned, however, like fighting in wars, job opportunities etc etc, are not just luck based. There are many social luck factors involved in deciding fate.
I think that after 10 years of playing poker (fairly regularly.. say, 5 hours a week), the 'luck variance' would be almost exactly the same for everybody. Probably within 0.1% of each other.Other things that have been mentioned, however, like fighting in wars, job opportunities etc etc, are not just luck based. There are many social luck factors involved in deciding fate.
they're totally luck based - it's just not subject to many iterations
Pwned :)Mark

"What you're saying is that, because there is an average height and weight of the human animal, all human animals are the same size."No, that's not what I'm saying at all. That's a terrible analogy, and I've found that debating with people who rely on terrible analogies to support their opinion is impossible. Wow, I didn't really expect to cause such a controversy with my statement. I thought that since this was a poker forum with pretty knowledgeable members that what I was saying would be common sense to a good portion of the people.Also, to the guy who referred to Vietnam, my post was strictly regarding Poker, and said as much.

someone out there has made a ton of money playing slots and it isn't because they are good at itluck still exists in the long run not for most but at least for 20 % that doesn't mean you could predict that gus would win a coin toss with matusow but it's quite possible that if mike did a study of all of his all in hands and the number he should have won that god hates him - i'm not saying its so but if gus got hit by a bus tomorrow and natalie portman fell off the bus and onto his johnson i wouldn't be shocked
LOL. Yes.
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. That's a terrible analogy, and I've found that debating with people who rely on terrible analogies to support their opinion is impossible. LOL ... okey dokeyWow, I didn't really expect to cause such a controversy with my statement. I thought that since this was a poker forum with pretty knowledgeable members that what I was saying would be common sense to a good portion of the people.Also, to the guy who referred to Vietnam, my post was strictly regarding Poker, and said as much.So, only in poker is there no luck?
EDIT: It's inevitable that this thread ends up with a link to the episode of Red Dwarf about the "luck virus."

"So, only in poker is there no luck?"No, I didn't say that either. What I said was that my original post pertained only to poker. I made this statement because another posted attempted to show the fault in my logic using a Vietnam war reference.