possibly the most fun wpt ever

Wisconsin power! W00t!Chau played great all final table. And Stolzmann got lucky. It's poker.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stolzman said, "I thought you pros were supposed to play small pots against me."I thought this was correct, and dont understand why Chau kept moving in on the flop heads up. Why not bet and get some more chips? More than once Stolzman had a hand he would surely call bets with, possibly even reraise with the middle pair. I dont understand why Chau would move in for $3 million in a $700,000 pot. Doesn't make sense to me. Seems like the tournament could have been over earlier if Chau had milked some of his top pair vs. middle pair hands.
I agree, there were a couple of pots in which chau definitely wouldve extracted a good number of chips imo if he had just led out with a bet. especially the second one in which he flopped top pair with the king and there were no real draws out there. not sure what the real purpose of the overbet there was except maybe hoping stolzman would call with an inferior hand in hopes that he would think he was bluffing due to the overbet.

I also saw a lot of slowplaying in hands that John was involved in.It's weird because slowplaying, like bluffing works far better against players who are stronger

Sexton gets so excited when nothing changes in the hand.It's AA vs. TT and the flop is 48 Q!!!!!!! Absolutely nothing changed, shut up Sexton.
maybe if you were smart you would realize that TT now has a runner runner J9 draw.nothing changed? ........everything changed.sexton is soooooooo cool.

Great episode...Scotty N...made a HUGE mistake...even Daniel commented on it....making that move (allin 89o when he knows his opponent is pot committed) was pure amateur hour....The highlight....was John Stoltzman beotch slapping "The grinder" when the grinder raised him on the turn with a gut shot and stoltzman fired right back with no pair...no draw and NINE HIGH!!! The grinder also laid down a monster against Chau Giang (Top Pair, Nut Flush draw) correctly...that my friends is a real player....I think 98% of the idiots on the net push in with that hand....The grinder correctly calculated that he had only committed TWO "minimum" bets to the pot and that it was not worth drawing to a lonely spade as he obviously thought he was up against a set. Now if he knew that he was up against two pair K's and 6's....he might have done something differently....but my guess is that he had Giang on a set or Aces Up...both of which had him slaughtered at the time. Brilliant. VERDICT: The guy can play.

since this event stoltzmann dropped out of UW madison and is eventually going to finish school in california.I am from sheboygan where he is originally from, and his dad steve (wearing the fire rescue shirt) works with my father on the S.F.D sheboygan fire department
is he stone cold stiff like his son?

Anyone else really disappointed with Scotty's play? I know he has a bunch of final tables on the WPT but no wins... Maybe he should cut back on the juice and not get himself all-in every hand. I know he is one of the best players in the world, but his lastest showings have been less than stellar.

Classic Sexton is:So it's AA vs TT and the flop comes King, Three, Two.Well that means he's gonna have to catch a 10 to stay alive.Here comes the turn...<excitedly> WELL LOOK AT THAT - IT'S AN 8!! <calms down now since the card had no effect on anything he just said previously> NOW THAT MEANS HE'S STILL GONNA NEED TO CATCH A 10 STAY ALIVE!!" Oh and he doesn't do it. But he played his heart out here on the world poker tour and he's going home with $325,000 for his efforts. Not bad for a guy who won his seat in an online qualifier huh Vince?(and for those who are going to barf, please just be careful not to barf on the Hilton sisters or the lovely ladies!) :club:

lrlslo

Anyone else really disappointed with Scotty's play? I know he has a bunch of final tables on the WPT but no wins... Maybe he should cut back on the juice and not get himself all-in every hand.I know he is one of the best players in the world, but his lastest showings have been less than stellar.
I agree, and if you didn't see it on the WPT, he was saying that he always gets over confident and then blows it and ends up 5th or 4th. He was going to do something different this game he said. Too bad he ended up being 4th........ again! nguyen.GIF
I thought this was correct, and dont understand why Chau kept moving in on the flop heads up. Why not bet and get some more chips? More than once Stolzman had a hand he would surely call bets with, possibly even reraise with the middle pair. I dont understand why Chau would move in for $3 million in a $700,000 pot. Doesn't make sense to me. Seems like the tournament could have been over earlier if Chau had milked some of his top pair vs. middle pair hands.
You forgot to mention the overbet by Stolzman when he rivered that nut straight. He bet twice the pot there, for 1.9 million if I remember correctly, and the only way that Chau would call there is if he had the hand that he had or something like 9-10 for the under-straight. That was a bad bet IMO from Stolzman.

You forgot to mention the overbet by Stolzman when he rivered that nut straight. He bet twice the pot there, for 1.9 million if I remember correctly, and the only way that Chau would call there is if he had the hand that he had or something like 9-10 for the under-straight. That was a bad bet IMO from Stolzman.He did make a questionable bet there........but Chau is obviously the superior player, which is why I don't understand him moving in with top pair heads up when he could have ended the tournament instead. Twice he had Stolzman in great positiions heads up and basically let him out of the noose.......if he checks the top pair or even leads out, stolzman is either A) calling or B) coming over the top. He would not fold middle pair with no straight or flush draws out there.......i just can't figure out why Chau chose this strategy against an inferior player.I know the TV tournaments are heavily edited, but the key hands showed why Chau lost the tournament (besides that last hand) I think he could have ended in early in the heads up battle but pushed Stolzman off hands he would normally play, and it ended up costing him the title.Anyone agree with this?

I agree, there were a couple of pots in which chau definitely wouldve extracted a good number of chips imo if he had just led out with a bet. especially the second one in which he flopped top pair with the king and there were no real draws out there. not sure what the real purpose of the overbet there was except maybe hoping stolzman would call with an inferior hand in hopes that he would think he was bluffing due to the overbet.
It's just his way of not giving a turn card at all. I think he would start Chau-ing, I mean steaming if that hand played out where Chau made a bet, got called and then Stolzman turned a queen to make 3 Q's or 2 pair. He would start going off like, "You got be kidding me, You kidding... Q or 10, Q or 10..."You know.
if he checks the top pair or even leads out
I agree that one hand where he was out of position he should have checked and given Stolzman a chance to bet so he could check-raise. That was the hand where he flopped the A with A-J right? What did Stolzman have again? I remember it was second pair.

Several Van Patten cliches that are getting old..."Hilton Sisters""The (insert song) is going off in his head!""wired pair"Did anyone else think that the post-bust interviews were particularly awkward this week? I mean...they're always pretty dumb...but this week just made me cringe.Also, "steaming"? Since when is that a more popular phrase than "tilting"?Finally, to the "poker addict"...have you subscribed to CardPlayer yet? And, how many poker books do you own? =)

First off, that was one of the best WPT shows ever, right along side Doyle winning earlier this season and the Foxwoods from I think a year ago with Hoyt and Hellmuth going at it. There's one hand that nobody has yet mentioned that needs a little comment. The hand where Stoltzman went all in on just a straight draw against Daniel's Queens. Daniel's comment about "I hope you have just a nine" (flop came up x-8-9) I think signified two things. First, obviously, Daniel was hoping that the kid didn't have two pair. But second, I think Daniel had a sneaking suspicion that he was doing this with exactly a 7-10 (or maybe a 10-J). Daniel was afraid of getting drawn out for almost all his chips, which is exactly what happened. That reminds me of the 2004 WSOP Main Event Day One when Men the Master saw his pocket Aces busted because some guy called his all-in with just a flush draw and sucked out on the river. These young, inexperienced players take a LOT more chances with just draws. I think watching poker on television plays a major part in that, because of the editing, these shows tend to show more suck-outs at a higher percentage than in a full live tournament. These kids think it happens all the time, because they saw it on TV. Bad beat for Daniel that sealed his fate. As for the commentary, I like to think of Sexton and Van Patten as "The Has-Been and the Never-Was." I definitely think I could hold my own at a poker table with these two yahoos. The post-elimination interviews, as always, meant nothing. Shana is eye-candy (very nice eye-candy, BTW) and she brings nothing to those interviews. Leaving for Vegas on Monday, can't wait.[/b]

Suckout? Daniel just checked his QQ and the kid went all in on a legit hand. The kid probably expected Daniel to have Ax or something and wanted to win it right there. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled by the call either. It was a semi-bluff, he got called and hit the semi-part which might seem lucky to some.However to me a 35% chance of taking out Negranu is better than trying to outplay him. I'll roll the dice for that.

Sexton gets so excited when nothing changes in the hand.It's AA vs. TT and the flop is 48 Q!!!!!!!  Absolutely nothing changed, shut up Sexton.
I just hate when he says "well this flop helps nobody!".Bullsh.it. It helps the dude with AA, as now he only has to dodge 2 bullets.
I know the TV tournaments are heavily edited, but the key hands showed why Chau lost the tournament (besides that last hand)  I think he could have ended in early in the heads up battle but pushed Stolzman off hands he would normally play, and it ended up costing him the title.Anyone agree with this?
I generally would agree. I didn't think too much of the K6s vs. Q10o hand until I started reading forums this morning, but I think that hand could have been the turning point. What's Chau's strategy with that (over)bet? Noone has mentioned the hand in which Stolzman check-raised Chau after pairing his J's for TP. Chau's resulting shaking literally startled me. I thought he was going to go off right there, Hellmuth style. JOKEJPOKEJOKERoark-8

The hilarious part was where Daniel started doing a parody commentary while deciding whether to call, and Mike and Vince didn't even laugh, just made churlish comments about leaving their jobs alone.

Suckout?  Daniel just checked his QQ and the kid went all in on a legit hand.   The kid probably expected Daniel to have Ax or something and wanted to win it right there.  I'm sure he wasn't thrilled by the call either.  It was a semi-bluff, he got called and hit the semi-part which might seem lucky to some.However to me a 35% chance of taking out Negranu is better than trying to outplay him.   I'll roll the dice for that.
Not so...Daniel bet his QQ and the kid raised allin.

Does anyone else think the kid from WI made a mistake when he pushed all in with the nut straight? I think hes lucky that Chau called. He should of bet like $500k and let Chau raise with his AJ 2 pair......then pushed all in. How would you of played it?