The Official 2008 Yankees Thread

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Joba's lights out in the 8th, but I really don't understand how people think 75 IP as a reliever is more valuable than 200 IP as a starter.Failed starters go to the pen...failed relievers go to Columbus.

I know Joba's lights out in the 8th, but I really don't understand how people think 75 IP as a reliever is more valuable than 200 IP as a starter.Failed starters go to the pen...failed relievers go to Columbus.
The argument begins by saying that those 75 innings are higher leverage than the 200 from a starter. Most of the time when Joba comes in, he's pitching with a small lead or it is tied and it's at the end of a game. Every baserunner is crucial. A starter is going to be pitching a lot of innings way ahead, sometimes way behind, but mostly in low leverage situations. I don't think leverage makes the two equivalent, but it narrows the gap.
The argument begins by saying that those 75 innings are higher leverage than the 200 from a starter. Most of the time when Joba comes in, he's pitching with a small lead or it is tied and it's at the end of a game. Every baserunner is crucial. A starter is going to be pitching a lot of innings way ahead, sometimes way behind, but mostly in low leverage situations. I don't think leverage makes the two equivalent, but it narrows the gap.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he is young, and they don't want to blow his arm out the way like every other young phenom seems to. During the game the other night the YES jerks were talking about how it will take a long time to stretch him out, so for that reason he is likely gonna be in the pen all this season, and maybe starting next year when they can stretch him out over the winter (and not have to send him to AAA to get innings, or have him pitch ineffectively in the bigs to get innings, i.e. stretch himself out).
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he is young, and they don't want to blow his arm out the way like every other young phenom seems to. During the game the other night the YES jerks were talking about how it will take a long time to stretch him out, so for that reason he is likely gonna be in the pen all this season, and maybe starting next year when they can stretch him out over the winter (and not have to send him to AAA to get innings, or have him pitch ineffectively in the bigs to get innings, i.e. stretch himself out).
I was speaking in the general sense, but I thing you're right regarding the specific case of Joba. We'll see what happens though. Events during the season could force him to make the switch early.

I think it's time we kick Farnsworth off the team and bring up some of our talent in the minors. Hawkins was a horrible signing as well.

Another ugly game for the bullpen. Let's hope Mo can get a save and finish it off.
Indeed. Thankfully he did, but if this isn't enough proof that we desperately need Joba to stay in the bullpen, nothing is. At least Kennedy had a good outing, and it seems his injury isn't serious. We are going to need him and Hughes to put some bad starts behind them and mature a lot this year.

What a crazy game this turned out to be. I was watching it between the Rangers game and I saw the score jump like crazy. At one point we were up by 4, the next second we were tied, then next second we were up by 2, and then we were up by 6. I think my head was spinning a bit.Not a great game by Wang, but he's so good I can forgive him for a bad outing. I'm glad our bullpen was able to clean up after him and allow us to win the game. And I think an offense that scores you 15 runs against the Red Sox speaks for itself. Long Live A-Rod.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'm back. Hopefully the Yanks don't get swept by the Reds.

For some reason whhich cant be explained right now, but I got nervouse when Farnsworth got injured. He has actually been pitching decently lately

For some reason whhich cant be explained right now, but I got nervouse when Farnsworth got injured. He has actually been pitching decently lately
I was happy. I want these kids up. Cox, Melancon, Robertson, and Aceves are all doing well in AA and AAA.
  • 2 weeks later...
I absolutly hated Bonds because he was just a douche to the media and public but Clemens is now following his footsteps. I kind of feel like this should just be over. If these guys were doing it, Id say a lot more were and it was just part of the game and nothing is going to come of it. But I still support Pettite because he came clean and admitted it and thats it, it seems like hes done hearing it from the media. Obviously hes gonna hear itfrom fans all season.
I just read that he lied 3 times on the topic. I just find it lame that Selig doesn't want to effect the top east coast teams because they might look bad. Giambi got off, so did Pettite.

When was the last time this team lost a series to the Rangers? I hate to say it, but this team could really benefit from adding Bonds.

When was the last time this team lost a series to the Rangers? I hate to say it, but this team could really benefit from adding Bonds.
so could lots of teams but he isnt worth the PR hit you would take.The Yankees are not winning a world series this year anyway and they will be exceedingly lucky to make the playoffs. Not really because they are not good.....just turns out that Tampa is even better than the most optimistic Rays fan could have imagined.Sawx and Rays are built for postseason baseball and the Yanks are not. At least NYY is back on a winning track by using their financial advantage to build a superior farm system instead of splurging on the Raul Mondesis of the world.
Not sure if it's ever happened.They are 10-0 for the last 10 games on the road against the Rangers... losing a home series against the Rangers? -- unheard of
One of the funniest baseball pictures ever. My favorite part is the nerdy kid listening to the game on the radio. I guess a few yankees fans are cool.499w.jpg
I love how money hungry Stienbrenner is. He is going to make bank off this stupid mustache thing with Giambi
Yeah, you nailed it, the guys a billionaire but his whole plan is to make gozzillions more selling fake mustaches. Its probably not the fans who like doing it or anything...
Yeah, you nailed it, the guys a billionaire but his whole plan is to make gozzillions more selling fake mustaches. Its probably not the fans who like doing it or anything...
Did I say 'gozzillions'? No. I'm just saying that he will exploit anything to make money
One of the funniest baseball pictures ever.My favorite part is the nerdy kid listening to the game on the radio. I guess a few yankees fans are cool.
Kudos on the kid listening to the radio broadcast, but the problem is that the kid is probably listening to John Sterling who I put on the same level of utterly annoying as Ron Santo.derrrrrrrrrrrrrr "An A-Bomb...from A-Rod" derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrI rest my case.
Kudos on the kid listening to the radio broadcast, but the problem is that the kid is probably listening to John Sterling, who I put on the same level of utterly annoying as Ron Santo.derrrrrrrrrrrrrr "An A-Bomb...from A-Rod" derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrI rest my case.
I can drop a bit of inside knowledge on you here. Stirling is also a dirty old perv who likes to grab the butts of young girls. True story.He has other bad qualities too.
I can drop a bit of inside knowledge on you here. Stirling is also a dirty old perv who likes to grab the butts of young girls. True story.He has other bad qualities too.
Yesterday on XM's morning show Mark Patrick and Buck Martinez were talking about the club house staff having problems with him. In particular they were talking about the fine people that cater the media room being pissed at Sterling because he repeatedly sticks his finger into the ice cream and them licks it off. Also he apparently has a bad habit of taking a large piece of cake from the dessert table, eating it with his hands, and then proceeding to wipe his hands on the table cloth.I'm sure that one will make a "best of" show when a holiday comes around.