Poker On A Cruise

Finally someone creates a topic at which i can give a serious reply at which i have a ton of knowledge. The short answer is : its great. (you can now move on to the next reply if you dont want to hear any elaboration). I have been on at least ten cruises, played poker on all of them and it's always fun. However, people play really bad---draw to everything and anything and since they are on vacation, just chalk it up to having fun. So they provide a lot of badbeats. Since nl holdem became popular(last four, five years?), i have been on about four more cruises and the suckouts were a LITTLE LESS rampant as you can charge someone more than 6 dollars on the turn for their draws, but it still happens. The great thing about cruises is you play with the same people for 5 or 7 days(however long your cruise is) so you really get to know who is good and who is not. Actually, you get to know who is REALLY TERRIBLE and who is just normal terrible. Maybe because i do my fair share of reading on forums like these and go to atlantic city every month or so or the fact that I understand basic 4th grade math, i find myself lightyears beyond most of these players on these cruises. I'm really just a minimum winner or break even kind of guy most of the time but on a cruise i'm the shark(most of the time) The last two cruise i've been on were "cardplayer cruises" and I figured the caliber of play would certainly be a lot better. Because you had to book through cardplayer magazine I figured these would be recreational players to semi pro out to get a little r+r----------------uh, no. THey all suck for the most part as well. Good for me, as i've usually been able to pay for my entire trip(1500-2000 dollars) the last two times. weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I've also gotten to play and meet with several pro players. Not phil helmuth or anybody like that but the lesser known poker celebs. Players you've seen on tv a time or two and most of them have been very friendly people and hanging out with them in exotic locations have certainly provided me with plenty of good memories. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANyway, im' rambling at this point, but I definitely recommend it and am looking forward to my next cruise in august. Alaska baby! Hopefully it will be provide me j.ust as much fun as the previous- in both monetary gain and good times

Finally someone creates a topic at which i can give a serious reply at which i have a ton of knowledge. The short answer is : its great. (you can now move on to the next reply if you dont want to hear any elaboration). I have been on at least ten cruises, played poker on all of them and it's always fun. However, people play really bad---draw to everything and anything and since they are on vacation, just chalk it up to having fun. So they provide a lot of badbeats. Since nl holdem became popular(last four, five years?), i have been on about four more cruises and the suckouts were a LITTLE LESS rampant as you can charge someone more than 6 dollars on the turn for their draws, but it still happens. The great thing about cruises is you play with the same people for 5 or 7 days(however long your cruise is) so you really get to know who is good and who is not. Actually, you get to know who is REALLY TERRIBLE and who is just normal terrible. Maybe because i do my fair share of reading on forums like these and go to atlantic city every month or so or the fact that I understand basic 4th grade math, i find myself lightyears beyond most of these players on these cruises. I'm really just a minimum winner or break even kind of guy most of the time but on a cruise i'm the shark(most of the time) The last two cruise i've been on were "cardplayer cruises" and I figured the caliber of play would certainly be a lot better. Because you had to book through cardplayer magazine I figured these would be recreational players to semi pro out to get a little r+r----------------uh, no. THey all suck for the most part as well. Good for me, as i've usually been able to pay for my entire trip(1500-2000 dollars) the last two times. weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I've also gotten to play and meet with several pro players. Not phil helmuth or anybody like that but the lesser known poker celebs. Players you've seen on tv a time or two and most of them have been very friendly people and hanging out with them in exotic locations have certainly provided me with plenty of good memories. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANyway, im' rambling at this point, but I definitely recommend it and am looking forward to my next cruise in august. Alaska baby! Hopefully it will be provide me j.ust as much fun as the previous- in both monetary gain and good times
Thanks for the info. What were the table limits/games?

lots of different ones; the ones i played before the poker boom was mostly 3/6 or 5/10 limit; THe cardplayer ones ive been on since have been 1-2 nl and "the bucket game" 2-5. The bucket game consisted of whover won a pot of over $100(every single pot, btw) had to buy a bucket of beers for the table(6 beers). THe rule was everyone HAD TO DRINK, EVERY TIME , NO EXCEPTION. Luckily im an alcoholic and can hold my liquor pretty well. I do remember winning a 1000 pot with 74 soooooooooooooooted with 7s and 4s on the flooooooop! haha. good times

how much are the card player cruises? how many tables are running? do the games go around theclock?
it obviously depends where you go, but 7 or 8 run per year and the cheapest is usually $700 (mexican destinations) and the more expensive ones are around 1800-2000 dollars (rome) and there is another one that goes to australia and is a party poker million cruise and thats the one that is even a little more expensive. THese prices are just off the top of my head and you can check them out for yourself at cardplayercruises.com.As far as the games, it also depends how many players that particular cruise ship has booked. While the cruise ship is not locked out to nonplayers, the actual cardroom is. So, last cruise i was on had 600 players and 1800 cruisers. There is a fee of about 100 dollars to be permitted in the cardroom. With this fee you get other nice ammenities as well that are not included for the other cruisers. The cardroom is at least open from 8 am to midnight ( only stopping for dinner or if the ship is docked) and sometimes later if there is demand. How many tables also depends on how many people. ONe cruise had 10 tables while my last cruise had 27. THe desired games are spread at any limit there is interest. Lots of gaaaambul including holdem, omaha, stud, chineese and even horse. Also, even if the games close for the night what's a large group of degens to do with themselves for the night? Hmmmmmmm. Nightclub? Nah. Get a deck of cards and lets head to the lounge.All in all, it's a ton of fun and I recommend it to any poker player on any experience level. THey have a great beginner game that my girlfriend learned to play in. Linda Johnson teaches it and she is very friendly and helpful. It was a very non-obtrusive, unintimidating place to play for your first time ( i watched this game btw, no i did not check raise the noobs). I can't wait for the next one. Also, I do not work for them, nor did I get paid for this recommendation.