• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys! and its THREE future NHLers: I'm not counting myself out just yet. theres always a chance....

• 2 months later...

Are tickets required to attend NHL Hall of Fame induction ceremonies? How does it work? I'd like to attend (probably in 2012) when Shanahan gets inducted.

Are tickets required to attend NHL Hall of Fame induction ceremonies? How does it work? I'd like to attend (probably in 2012) when Shanahan gets inducted.
There are two (three if you count the induction dinner) actual events at the Hall of Fame for an induction. The actual induction ceremony is private. Their is an introduction ceremony earlier that is open to media and friends, which occasionally you can get a ticket for. There are usually about a half dozen different events wrapped around Hall Of Fame weekend which are open to the public in one way or another.
  • 4 months later...
I'm actually looking for one for 6 year olds AND one for professionals.
I have my own coaching guides for six year olds, but I have used as a resource the USA hockey website. It's awesome http://www.usahockey.com//Template_Usahock...5&ID=275670 Here's a link to the coaching canada guide for initiation programs:http://dmha.ca/resources/initiate_skillschart.pdf And register for this site:http://www.besthockeydrills.com/ As for adult stuff, I would suggest getting a hold of any Roger Neilson guides you can find. No one taught coaching better than Roger did...
I have my own coaching guides for six year olds, but I have used as a resource the USA hockey website. It's awesome http://www.usahockey.com//Template_Usahock...5&ID=275670 Here's a link to the coaching canada guide for initiation programs:http://dmha.ca/resources/initiate_skillschart.pdf And register for this site:http://www.besthockeydrills.com/ As for adult stuff, I would suggest getting a hold of any Roger Neilson guides you can find. No one taught coaching better than Roger did...
Thanks, Chris! I'll check all that out.
Thanks, Chris! I'll check all that out.
I haven't been to besthockeydrills in a while, and it looks like they've removed all the free stuff from their site, and now you must purchase their coaching tools, so I apologize for that...
I haven't been to besthockeydrills in a while, and it looks like they've removed all the free stuff from their site, and now you must purchase their coaching tools, so I apologize for that...
That's ok...I'll check it out and see if I think it's worth the cost to me.
That's ok...I'll check it out and see if I think it's worth the cost to me.
Are you coaching a team?
Thinking about it, but even if I don't I still have a son and two stepsons :club:
Yes, i have been looking at some similar stuff to for Adrian.

If you guys are interested in coaching, I have some advice... First and foremost, DON'T do it to coach your own child. Do it because you want to coach 15 kids. If you're really doing a good job as a coach, then your own kid gets the least amount of attention from you, out of necessity. I have 4 assistant coaches on my team. 2 of them are doing it and coaching all 17 kids on our team. The other two are only doing it to keep control or coach their own kids. They don't do anything to help unless directed specifically, in practices they are always talking to their own kid, same during games. If you want to coach your own kid specifically, you can do wonders for them by NOT coaching their team. Take them on your own time for EXTRA practice, help them with their skills and drills that their coach has given them AWAY from the team, and you will see them improve dramatically. Secondly, parent proof yourself. They will completely drive you insane. And I cannot even begin to tell you what an understatement that is. Read 'Who's Puck is it Anyway'. That will help. Thirdly, leave lots of spare time, especially if you're a head coach. You need time for emails and phone calls, practice plans, phone calls, emails, game prep, phone calls, league admin stuff, emails, meetings, emails, phone calls.... be prepared to send 3 emails about a practice,, follow that up with 2 phone calls, and still have parents look you in the eye and say ' I didn't know'. It's infuriating. Fourth: Buy some booze or drugs. You will need it. To deal with the parents, not the kids. BUT.... all that being said, it is a remarkably rewarding experience. When you teach something in practice, then see a player execute it in a game, its an amazing feeling. When you're in the dressing room, with all those kids gathered around after a game, telling them the good things they did and how proud you are of them, it's really very special. If you do it for the right reasons, you will gain something that is priceless...

Good advice Chris.I would of loved to coach Adrian this year, however one small problem is I dont skate well so I dont go on the ice.So i am actually assisting on the bench. I help the kids on and off the ice in the games, give them water etc...Looks like he is going to play in a summer ball hockey league as well so I maybe interested in coaching that...I know how Wayne feels now..Mondays Ball HockeyTuesdays SoccerWednesdays My Baseball Mens league.(We chose Adrian as batboy)its good to get out of the house , especially in the summer.

I don't have any kids, but I volunteered to be an assistant coach this year for a local bantam B team. I had an absolute blast. The head coach had a kid on the team and is a good friend of mine, so thats how I got into it.It is a really rewarding experience, I would strongly recomend it to anyone. We were essentially a house league team, one of 5 B teams in lethbridge all selected from the same Pool. We got bumped up to the A division after seeding and came 4th out of 9, and were 1 goal away from knocking off the first place team in a 3 game series in the semi finals. We also qualified to play in Bantam B provincials, which is essentially a AA/A tournament, and performed admirably there against much better teams. (two 4-2 losses against the eventual tournament finalists and a 2-2 tie against an Edson AA team). The kids were all great, and it was really exciting to see them grow as a team and as players throughout the year. The parents were great as well actually, with a few small exceptions.

• 7 months later...

A simple question?Why doesnt the NHLPA mandate the use of visors? The players coming in already wear them in Junior,Europe and College?Logically just grandfather the existing players , where they can choose to or not.Word now is Pronger will be wearing a visor when he comes back. Its just so stupid and archaic to not wear a piece of equipment that is so obvious that is needed to protect you.

I think Robyn Regehr is the only player on the Sabres who doesn't wear one, and I can't imagine there being any kind of uproar if the league mandated that every player coming into the league was required to wear one and grandfather the guys who are already playing and don't want to switch. Realistically how many guys out there aren't wearing them voluntarily at this point...15%?

I think Robyn Regehr is the only player on the Sabres who doesn't wear one, and I can't imagine there being any kind of uproar if the league mandated that every player coming into the league was required to wear one and grandfather the guys who are already playing and don't want to switch. Realistically how many guys out there aren't wearing them voluntarily at this point...15%?
The discussion yesterday was there is an unwritten rule that wearing a visor makes you "soft" among some of the grittier players.Stupid argument if you ask me. However i cant imagine a guy like Colton Orr donning a visor

It's amazing to me how many guy in my adult league don't wear a shield. It's probably 1 in 10...but I just don't get it with all the idiots that can't control their sticks in adult league.