Would like the opinion of Chris on the comments made by Healy today..He said that as per the CBA players contracts are not allowed to be negotiated under any circumstance...However when it comes to NTC they are negotiated...He believes this is wrong and goes against the CBA...He believes that if a player has a NTC , the issue is not up for debate...The player CANT be traded under any circumstance, even in the case of a player waiving it...That way we dont have the debacle of the Toronto situation, especially in the case of Sundin...Something to think about
No.That just shows how retarded Healey is.The NTC is a clause that allows the player to excercise an option built into the contract.It is not renegotiating a contract.
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys! and its THREE future NHLers: I'm not counting myself out just yet. theres always a chance....

No.That just shows how retarded Healey is.The NTC is a clause that allows the player to excercise an option built into the contract.It is not renegotiating a contract.
Its not an option though, its a part of the contract....Some players even have detailed NTC where actual teams are listed...When they choose to waive this part of their contract, in essence they are re opening the contract and negotiating the conditions...Players get the best of both worlds...
You're right Zach, AND.... ANY contract can be amended by the terms put into it. The NTC is PART of the CBA, under the SPC (standard player contract) section. It is recognized as a potential part of any contract, and the terms for it's use and/or waive are clearly outlined. Healey is an idiot..
Its not an option though, its a part of the contract....Some players even have detailed NTC where actual teams are listed...When they choose to waive this part of their contract, in essence they are re opening the contract and negotiating the conditions...Players get the best of both worlds...
Are they reopening the contract and renegotiating or are they just waiving a clause that the initial contract allows to be waived by the player if he wants to do so?
Are they reopening the contract and renegotiating or are they just waiving a clause that the initial contract allows to be waived by the player if he wants to do so?
It is not re-opening the contract. It's merely a clause. There are a million of them. Does that mean that the contract is reponed when the clause that states a player who is traded will be provided with first class commercial air travel at the earliest convenience to both the team and the player is re-opened if a player is traded from the Islanders to the Rangers decides to drive? Since he's waiving his right to the airfare?

I was just going by why Healey said...He didnt say that it was part of the CBA..I will take Chris 's word on that part...however it is something that i am sure will be looked at ....over a 100 players have NTC...They will look at putting a rule where you can only have a NTC clause based on service or age..I believe in baseball there is a 10 and 5 rule..You have a NTC if you have 10 years of service , 5 with one team...A guy like Sundin or Rob Blake deserve a no trade clause...Kubina or Tucker might not...

It is not re-opening the contract. It's merely a clause. There are a million of them. Does that mean that the contract is reponed when the clause that states a player who is traded will be provided with first class commercial air travel at the earliest convenience to both the team and the player is re-opened if a player is traded from the Islanders to the Rangers decides to drive? Since he's waiving his right to the airfare?
Mine was a rhetorical question. I know they aren't reopening the contract, just waiving a clause in it. If Serge and Glenn Healey shared a brain they'd be brainless.
I was just going by why Healey said...He didnt say that it was part of the CBA..I will take Chris 's word on that part...however it is something that i am sure will be looked at ....over a 100 players have NTC...They will look at putting a rule where you can only have a NTC clause based on service or age..I believe in baseball there is a 10 and 5 rule..You have a NTC if you have 10 years of service , 5 with one team...A guy like Sundin or Rob Blake deserve a no trade clause...Kubina or Tucker might not...
Only players eligible for UFA (25 years of age and five years of service) are eligible for the NTC.
I agree with Brian Burke's comments regarding this. GM's just need to be more responsible for their owns actions and stop relying on the league to insert clauses to protect themselves from one another.
Only players eligible for UFA (25 years of age and five years of service) are eligible for the NTC.
ok that makes more sense..and dale I didnt say i agreed with Healy a 100% , I just brought up his argument and thought it was interesting if he was correct...
ok that makes more sense..and dale I didnt say i agreed with Healy a 100% , I just brought up his argument and thought it was interesting if he was correct...
Fair enough.
Thomson's source was Anaheim's ownership, and Burke had come to the skeleton of an agreement with Fletcher, they were just quibbling over details. And the basis of the trade was Edmonton's first round pick, and Anaheim's first from next year conditional on either A) Anaheim making the cup final or B) Sundin re-signing with Anaheim. Part of the agreement was to hold off on the trade until noon on deadline day because Burke wanted to see what else was happening to perhaps add to the deal. Sundin shot it down with his refusal.
Burke said yesterday that there was never any discussion with Toronto about Sundin even before he decided not to waive his NTC. He said the Ducks were however in the market for other rentals but that never materialized. Take that FWIW.
Chris, what do you think of Warrior shafts? Any other composite or shaft you recommend.
wow..... well.... loaded question....... I've run through most of the composites, since I've been lucky enough to do stick columns for the past couple of year. First off, disclaimer: sticks are personal. What I like, you may not, and vice versa. As far as construction... well... first off, don't kid yourself- despite the fact that the sticks at the local hockey shop have NHL'ers names on the shafts, they are not only not their sticks, they are not even constructed the same way. REAL pro patterns are made with a completely different construction. Anyway... to sticks.... well, the way AK uses those Warriors, they can't be bad! I've tried them, and my immediate thought was that they were overly stiff and not that responsive (that's ordering a stick with my flex and pattern). They did have a nice release point. My personal choice is the Easton Stealth. I get them from easton, again in my own pattern, and I really like the feel, and the kick of them. I also don't mind the newest generation of CCM Vectors, but I find they break easily. If you want a really durable composite that isn't too bad for price, try the Trilage. Not that many NHL'ers use them (Tucker does), but I like the stick. It's a shade less responsive than I prefer, but they do last. The other stick that has some upside if you're a real sniper and want maximum shot ability is the Innovatives. Great release, great kick point, just not much feel to them. Personally, I'm pretty much an Easton player for the most part.....
wow..... well.... loaded question....... I've run through most of the composites, since I've been lucky enough to do stick columns for the past couple of year. First off, disclaimer: sticks are personal. What I like, you may not, and vice versa. As far as construction... well... first off, don't kid yourself- despite the fact that the sticks at the local hockey shop have NHL'ers names on the shafts, they are not only not their sticks, they are not even constructed the same way. REAL pro patterns are made with a completely different construction. Anyway... to sticks.... well, the way AK uses those Warriors, they can't be bad! I've tried them, and my immediate thought was that they were overly stiff and not that responsive (that's ordering a stick with my flex and pattern). They did have a nice release point. My personal choice is the Easton Stealth. I get them from easton, again in my own pattern, and I really like the feel, and the kick of them. I also don't mind the newest generation of CCM Vectors, but I find they break easily. If you want a really durable composite that isn't too bad for price, try the Trilage. Not that many NHL'ers use them (Tucker does), but I like the stick. It's a shade less responsive than I prefer, but they do last. The other stick that has some upside if you're a real sniper and want maximum shot ability is the Innovatives. Great release, great kick point, just not much feel to them. Personally, I'm pretty much an Easton player for the most part.....
I'd love to give a Trilage (Fata pattern) a try. Any idea where to find them? I'm sure I'd have to order one online as I doubt I'd find one here in Sudbury.
I'd love to give a Trilage (Fata pattern) a try. Any idea where to find them? I'm sure I'd have to order one online as I doubt I'd find one here in Sudbury.
I'll look into it for you..
  • 3 weeks later...

Some questions that the hockey world would like to get answered by Mr Marshak:1. How does it feel to lead a double life?In your private life you are a big Maple Leafs fan and are truly pulling for those guys in the locker room. But when you leave your house your perpetual negative comments towards the players and the organization is really annoying.2. How long does it take every morning before you come up with your "witty" and constant condescending remarks towards the Leafs Nation and their CEO Serge from Pickering?3. When will this facade end and we see the real Gruven come out of the "closet" and share his true feelings about the team that he loved growing up?I got more later.

• 1 month later...
Since when has there been a penalty called "Clipping" in the NHL?
Actually, for as long as I can remember: Rule 49, Clipping. Basically, throwing yourself at the knees of an opponent, or bending low enough to take out the knees. Almost never called, because most stripes just call it tripping...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time for a question for Gruven...Chris, In your honest opinion and what you are hearing from your friends in the industry, what do you think the chances of Brian Burke coming to Toronto are??Also its pretty obvious he wants to get out of his contract in Anaheim, why as an owner would you want a GM that doesnt want to stay there??Part two:Without being biased what do you think is the biggest misconception that is out there about the Leafs?ie board control, inept management...There has to be one that the public has a misconception on..Thanks

Time for a question for Gruven...Chris, In your honest opinion and what you are hearing from your friends in the industry, what do you think the chances of Brian Burke coming to Toronto are??Also its pretty obvious he wants to get out of his contract in Anaheim, why as an owner would you want a GM that doesnt want to stay there??Part two:Without being biased what do you think is the biggest misconception that is out there about the Leafs?ie board control, inept management...There has to be one that the public has a misconception on..Thanks
Okay, fair enough.....Part 1: There are a couple of things about the Burke deal. I'm not even sure he knows what he wants to do. He is VERY close with the owner in Anaheim, and I think he truly is happy fulfilling his contract there. He IS probably interested in the job down the road, and that's what creates all the controversy, since Burke and subtle are rarely in the same sentence. I have heard (unconfirmed, obv.), that the owner offered to release Burke, and Burke said no, he would fulfill his contract. So I don't think there is any issue in Anaheim, although, again, from what I've heard, the leafs should have their balls booted for tampering. The chances of him coming to Toronto now? Zero. After next season? 50/50Part 2: the biggest misconception about the leafs: you're not going to like this serge, but there probably aren't a lot of misconceptions about the leafs. I would say the one possibility is that people OVERestimate the amount of board control over the management. It's absolutely there, and it's quite bad at times, but the reality is that there are a few other teams in the NHL with the same amount of owner/board involvement in team affairs. Inept management? True. Want an example? What part of the leaf coaching staff has remained constant while all other components have changed? Answer: Keith Acton, Asst. Coach. Why? He's a pipeline of info to the board about the goings on of the team, and coaching staff. Therefore, he's untouchable. How about the leafs being a bottom line oriented team? Gospel truth. The richest team in the league should spare no expense to make their product better. Coaches, scouts, even the practice facility should be world class. Instead, the leafs have released some of the best scouts in the game because they wont pay them. They practice in the crappiest practice facility in the NHL, and have had several players injured because of bad ice at practice. I could go on, but in fairness, that wasn't your question. As far as misconceptions, like I said, there really aren't a lot. Most of what you hear is true. Probably the only other one would be that the players don't care about winning. I can tell you that is untrue. Talented or untalented, they do give it their best, and they never considered tanking last season for one second....

Thanks...A very good answer and I have to live with those comments...Sometimes I dont like to admit it , but I am not happy with some of the things I see going on at ACC..I am optimistic though that we are on the way back, instead of things getting worse...So what you say is true, then the Leafs maybe cut a backroom , off the record deal with Burke and essentially have agreed for him to come to the Leafs next year..Then with that in hand went to his buddy Ron Wilson and said listen here is the offer , Burke is coming next year, what do u think??...Obviously if any of this happened its total tampering and no one will admit to anything..As much as we like to have fun, Chris is a great source for the hockey forum, he seems to know a ton of people in the hockey world, including media guys, team guys and a ton of players.Overall he is a great guy and we are glad to have him here..Thanks

• 1 month later...

Bumped from the dark depths of page 4. Which should prove my dedication in wanting this question answered.So Mr Gruven, could you explain Marek Svato's contract extension with Colorado? Surely he is one of their top players now and has shown himself to be a very important "clutch" player. But have they only extended his contract for 2 years? Is there a legal issue? I would have thought they'd want to keep this guy as long as possible.Cheers.