• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys! and its THREE future NHLers: I'm not counting myself out just yet. theres always a chance....

Is there an avenue available for taking reffing up from a hobby to more of a career? Or are referees and linesmen basically players who reached junior or the AHL and realized they weren't going to make it any further and used those connections to get into reffing instead?

Is there an avenue available for taking reffing up from a hobby to more of a career? Or are referees and linesmen basically players who reached junior or the AHL and realized they weren't going to make it any further and used those connections to get into reffing instead?
A few guys I know have gone on to do high level Jr and lines for ECHL games recently starting as USA Hockey refs locally. When you excel locally, you're invited to USA development camps to evaluate guys that have the potential to move onto higher levels.One guy I know from here just moved to St Cloud for the season to do NAHL games as his full time job. He's in his mid-20s and told me he knows the highest he'll ever get would be AHL but he went for it with a "Why not try?" attitude. I've been told that just about every NHL ref played in the OHL (or another very high Jr league), ECHL, or AHL in their careers. I don't know the stats on that, just what I've been told.On a side note: the one that just moved to MN went to a reffing camp over the summer in Rochester, NY where he was recruited from. I think I'm going to head up there with him and a few other guys next summer for the camp. I have no desire to put in the time to go any farther than club college level around here, but I was told the camp is great for all refs at any level to improve their skills. The whole weekend is pretty much booked with the camp, but I'll be sure to let you know if I make it up there.
On a side note: the one that just moved to MN went to a reffing camp over the summer in Rochester, NY where he was recruited from. I think I'm going to head up there with him and a few other guys next summer for the camp. I have no desire to put in the time to go any farther than club college level around here, but I was told the camp is great for all refs at any level to improve their skills. The whole weekend is pretty much booked with the camp, but I'll be sure to let you know if I make it up there.
Definitely let me know...if you're at MCC Ice Arena or Lakeshore, there are bars that serve alcohol on premise. If you're at SRI or Scottsville I think they're still snack bar only.
Definitely let me know...if you're at MCC Ice Arena or Lakeshore, there are bars that serve alcohol on premise. If you're at SRI or Scottsville I think they're still snack bar only.
LOL...some people know the cost of icetime at all the arenas, some know whether or not they serve alcohol.
LOL...some people know the cost of icetime at all the arenas, some know whether or not they serve alcohol.
When I played roller hockey in college, a few rinks we played in had bars. In games where we were blowing the other team out, I would always get a 10 minute misconduct with 5-6 mins left in the games so I could be at the bar before the game was over.

I don't know about the US Adam, but in Canada you can just take the reffing course, get certified, probably pass a criminal check or something and then try to get put on the scheduling roster for games. You'll obviously start out at the lowest levels, but eventually move up. The pay is pretty mediocre but it's quality exercise.I took the course before, but only ended up reffing roller hockey.Also, when I play hockey, my brain is so focused, I can see every little thing happen and know exactly what the referee should call, etc. When I reffed, it was like my brain didn't function anymore and I screwed up everything. I couldn't believe how difficult it was for me. I didn't have very much experience though.

I wasn't really asking for me, I've never had any interest in being the ref, I either want to be playing or watching...not working without playing. Was just interested to know if this was something Tim could take up to the highest level if he wanted to, or if the road to the NHL only led through junior and the AHL like everything else in hockey. Good info though, thanks Zach.

Ah, maybe I misread. I've become to lazy to read all the words, so I just pick and choose some of them. :club:
It's cool, I don't boobs think there was much in my original boobs post that would boobs have led you to believe that boobs I was asking for anyone boobs other than myself, you know?
I don't know about the US Adam, but in Canada you can just take the reffing course, get certified, probably pass a criminal check or something and then try to get put on the scheduling roster for games. You'll obviously start out at the lowest levels, but eventually move up. The pay is pretty mediocre but it's quality exercise.I took the course before, but only ended up reffing roller hockey.Also, when I play hockey, my brain is so focused, I can see every little thing happen and know exactly what the referee should call, etc. When I reffed, it was like my brain didn't function anymore and I screwed up everything. I couldn't believe how difficult it was for me. I didn't have very much experience though.
How much is the pay for a referee that refs my sons games?We usually get non descript teenagers who are pretty boring. But last year we got this one older guy. He was amazing. Having fun with the kids, playing along and joking around the whole time.He was even helping the kids out and teaching them things on the ice.Obviously you dont except refs that are reffing serious hockey to do stuff like that, but it was amazing to see how much he loved what he was doing and the kids, hope we get him again this year
Obviously you dont except refs that are reffing serious hockey to do stuff like that, but it was amazing to see how much he loved what he was doing and the kids, hope we get him again this year
When I played floor hockey we had one ref that everyone always wanted calling their games because he was so good at it...had been doing it for years, called every game fairly and made it fun out there.
The pay is pretty mediocre but it's quality exercise.
The pay isn't bad at all. I would do it for less than they pay cause I enjoy it, I like to be involved, and it's good exercise.I make 30 or 35 (depending on the rink) for an adult league game which have 20 min, running clock periods.Middle school and JV games are $45 each and are 70 mins max. Varsity games are $65 and don't last longer than 1h50. There's 2 or 3 in a row in a night. If we do a single slot, we get $10 more.

I guess it's been 10+ years since I last worried about how much a ref made, lol. The biggest issue to me is you just get 2-3 games at a time, and it's usually a drive to the rink, plus time to get ready, etc, so it works out to a pretty mediocre hourly.I was thinking about like pee wee games. Atom, etc would be less.I forget how much I got doing 1-hr roller hockey games. Probably like $10 or $15 per game.

It's cool, I don't boobs think there was much in my original boobs post that would boobs have led you to believe that boobs I was asking for anyone boobs other than myself, you know?
this posts understands me.
I guess it's been 10+ years since I last worried about how much a ref made, lol. The biggest issue to me is you just get 2-3 games at a time, and it's usually a drive to the rink, plus time to get ready, etc, so it works out to a pretty mediocre hourly.I was thinking about like pee wee games. Atom, etc would be less.I forget how much I got doing 1-hr roller hockey games. Probably like $10 or $15 per game.
I have to be at the rink a half hour early for league games. I do games at a variety of rinks, the closest being 5 mins from me and the farthest being just under 30 mins. Back to back middle school or JV games take 2 hour and a half hours, which is two 1h 10m games and a 10 mins ice cut between. 15 mins to get undressed and out of the rink. So, with some rounding off, let's say my total time from door back to door is 3.5 - 4 hours. $22.50 - 25.70 an hour. 75% of the games I do are the situations above. I also do peewee, etc games with are $35 or $40 per game for AA and below but the AAA games are also $45. That's not so bad IMO when I'm not just in it for the money. I get 2 hours of exercise out of doing something that I enjoy and see as a hobby. Some people run or whatever for a hobby and don't get a dime to do it. Also, I've met some good friends doing it, which is priceless, ha!By the way, I didn't do that math to prove you wrong or anything, just for my own knowledge and discussion.

It was like $20-something per game (1.5 hours of ice time including floods, etc) back when I played bantam and midget, according to the refs I knew, but that's 10 years ago. Obviously every market would be different, as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Chris, have you ever considered putting together your own show and then trying to sell it to a network? I have an idea for such a show :club:
I've pitched a few times to the networks like TSN and Sportsnet...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chris throw a dog a bone. Any inside info on this?NHL SPECIALS - Who will be picked first in the 2012 NHL All Star Draft Any wager placed after information becomes public knowledge will be graded No Action Jason Spezza (OTT)8/1 Tim Thomas (BOS)4/1 Evgeni Malkin (PIT)25/1 Henrik Sedin (VAN)30/1 Pavel Datsyuk (DET)30/1 Erik Karlsson (OTT)5/6 Milan Michalek (OTT)15/1 Steven Stamkos (TB)30/1 Tyler Seguin (BOS)25/1 Claude Giroux (PHI)35/1 Marian Hossa (CHI)30/1 Daniel Sedin (VAN)45/1 Dion Phaneuf (TOR)50/1 Shea Weber (NAS)50/1 Phil Kessel (TOR)34/1 Jarome Iginla (CAL)55/1 Marian Gaborik (NYR)55/1 Corey Perry (ANA)55/1 Carey Price (MTL)70/1 Jimmy Howard (DET)70/1 John Tavares (NYI)60/1 Patrick Kane (CHI)60/1 Brian Campbell (FLA)70/1 Kris Letang (PIT)70/1 Jordan Eberle (EDM)70/1 Dennis Wideman (WAS)75/1 Alexander Edler (VAN)75/1 Keith Yandle (PHO)75/1 Ryan Suter (NAS)75/1 Brian Elliott (STL)80/1 Jonathan Quick (LAK)80/1 Scott Hartnell (PHI)80/1 Jamie Benn (DAL)80/1 Jason Pominville (BUF)80/1 Logan Couture (SJ)80/1 Dan Girardi (NYR)80/1 Kimmo Timonen (PHI)80/1 Any Other Player80/1