The discussion yesterday was there is an unwritten rule that wearing a visor makes you "soft" among some of the grittier players.Stupid argument if you ask me. However i cant imagine a guy like Colton Orr donning a visor
Yeah, well, they used to say the same thing about goalies wearing masks out there. If I were a player I'd rather be a bit of a pussy who can still see out of both eyes than the alternative. Eventually the issue will take care of itself, the AHL already requires visor use and you hardly ever see a young player out there without one.
  • Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys! and its THREE future NHLers: I'm not counting myself out just yet. theres always a chance....

It's amazing to me how many guy in my adult league don't wear a shield. It's probably 1 in 10...but I just don't get it with all the idiots that can't control their sticks in adult league.
I thought the same thing when I first joined the league Im in now. That was prob about 5yrs ago. Unreal.I kept thinking Im an idiot for just wearing a visor and not going full cage.I love hockey. But it has some of the stupidest traditions/customs out of any of the sports I follow. And most of them come from the Don Cherry/old school/tough guy mentality thats really just about things that boys should grow out of when they become men. Grow up.I cant recall who exactly, but a couple of years ago, a player went through something similar to Pronger, swore he would wear a visor, and then 2 weeks later took it off. I know something like this happened with Sundin too, but its someone else Im thinking of. Getzlaf?

btw, that Pronger moment had me freaked out for a bit, I was trying hard all over to find out news of his condition. I honestly thought he lost an eye the way he reacted, especially the yelling.

btw, that Pronger moment had me freaked out for a bit, I was trying hard all over to find out news of his condition. I honestly thought he lost an eye the way he reacted, especially the yelling.
yes very scary...That Leaf/Philly game should be an instructional video on why everyone should wear visors. I havent seen so many high sticking to the face situations in the same game.Was also interesting to find out that what Grabo did the Pronger is not a penalty, since it was on a follow through. Obviously it wasnt intentional, but a lot of the penalties arent intentional. The Lupul 4 minute job on Read wasnt intentional and it essentially cost the Leafs big time.
I kept thinking Im an idiot for just wearing a visor and not going full cage.
I wore a 1/2 for one summer when I was in college and got hit in the face enough to stick with the full cage since then.
I thought the same thing when I first joined the league Im in now. That was prob about 5yrs ago. Unreal.I kept thinking Im an idiot for just wearing a visor and not going full cage.I love hockey. But it has some of the stupidest traditions/customs out of any of the sports I follow. And most of them come from the Don Cherry/old school/tough guy mentality thats really just about things that boys should grow out of when they become men. Grow up.I cant recall who exactly, but a couple of years ago, a player went through something similar to Pronger, swore he would wear a visor, and then 2 weeks later took it off. I know something like this happened with Sundin too, but its someone else Im thinking of. Getzlaf?
Honestly, I think every men's league in the country should have a mandatory full cage rule in effect. There's literally no reason not to. The only reason people don't wear them is because nobody else does and they don't want to look stupid.

There's a few rinks in the area that have a 1/2 shied rule. Guys that don't want to wear them cut them so they're an inch big and turn them up on their helmet and the league lets them get away with it. Why even have the rule?

There's a few rinks in the area that have a 1/2 shied rule. Guys that don't want to wear them cut them so they're an inch big and turn them up on their helmet and the league lets them get away with it. Why even have the rule?
Liability would be my guess. If someone gets blinded and tries to sue the rink, they can pull out the form stating that we told you you had to wear proper equipment and you clearly altered it improperly and unsafely, etc, etc, #saulgoodman.
Liability would be my guess. If someone gets blinded and tries to sue the rink, they can pull out the form stating that we told you you had to wear proper equipment and you clearly altered it improperly and unsafely, etc, etc, #saulgoodman.
Yea, that's all I can think of but if they don't enforce not cutting them and using them properly I wonder how that would go over.There's also one rink in the area that requires shoulder pads. I play there a few times a year and wear my step-dad's Cooper pad from the mid-70s.
It's amazing to me how many guy in my adult league don't wear a shield. It's probably 1 in 10...but I just don't get it with all the idiots that can't control their sticks in adult league.
That is the precise reason why I wore a full cage when I played. I am not effing up my already ugly mug for some late night once a week hockey action. Half these guys could barely skate and they put a stick in their hands and sticks were always hitting me unintentionally in the helmet.
Yea, that's all I can think of but if they don't enforce not cutting them and using them properly I wonder how that would go over.There's also one rink in the area that requires shoulder pads. I play there a few times a year and wear my step-dad's Cooper pad from the mid-70s.
People play hockey in men's leagues without shoulder pads?
Oh ya. In regards to no shield. I was one of those idiots who did not wear any face protection for at least 7 years.I now wear a full cage.
I would guess 1 in 8 guys wear shoulder pads. The only time I've worn them since college was games at the rink that they are required.Most of the better guys don't wear them. Most of the "not as good" guys do wear them.

Wow, never realized that. I just assumed everyone wore full gear like when we were kids. So what's the equipment...skates, socks, garter, pants, jersey, helmet and that's it?

Wow, never realized that. I just assumed everyone wore full gear like when we were kids. So what's the equipment...skates, socks, garter, pants, jersey, helmet and that's it?
1. full helmet2. elbow pads3. shoulder pads4. pants5. jock shorts6. shin pads7. socks8. jersey9. gloves10. skates11. stickif you are a kid12. neck guard
Everything but shoulder pads......you could have just asked for a picture, I'm not shy! :club:46cKsAODrGYoZhFrKPmR.png
What's the rationale for not wearing them? Less hitting? More mobility? Both?
I never wore big ones when I did wear them and had hitting. There's no hitting (by rule) in adult league so I just don't see a need for them. There's a lot of contact especially in the good leagues where the refs know to let contact go when it's not checking but I still don't care to wear them in those cases.
I never wore big ones when I did wear them and had hitting. There's no hitting (by rule) in adult league so I just don't see a need for them. There's a lot of contact especially in the good leagues where the refs know to let contact go when it's not checking but I still don't care to wear them in those cases.
Ok, that makes sense. I didn't realize men's leagues outlawed hitting.
Our league mandates half-visors. I wear a cage because it's all I've ever worn, basically, and the one season I wore a visor for some scrub hockey 5 years ago, I couldn't keep it defogged. I'd say over half our division wears a full cage.
I would guess 1 in 8 guys wear shoulder pads. The only time I've worn them since college was games at the rink that they are required.Most of the better guys don't wear them. Most of the "not as good" guys do wear them.
I think most of our league wears their shoulder pads, and we're not even in a big time league. D8 of 10 or something like that. One guy on our team doesn't wear them, but he never shows up.
Our league mandates half-visors. I wear a cage because it's all I've ever worn, basically, and the one season I wore a visor for some scrub hockey 5 years ago, I couldn't keep it defogged. I'd say over half our division wears a full cage.I think most of our league wears their shoulder pads, and we're not even in a big time league. D8 of 10 or something like that. One guy on our team doesn't wear them, but he never shows up.
When I played junior it was without a visor (yes, I'm old). I got cut a couple of times without one and lost two teeth, but nothing serious. When I started playing men's league, I played A with good players, and everyone had control of their sticks. Then I started playing recreationally and noticed no one had control of their sticks. I threw on a visor and in the first month got cut 3 separate times for stitches on my face. Visor will never come off... As for shoulder pads, once contact stopped, the shoulder pads came off. Just not necessary. I wear them now, but that's to protect an injury.... As an aside, there is one thing that I've noticed over the years: college players who have played their whole lives with full shields, lead with their heads a lot near the boards. You see an adjustment period in pro hockey as they learn not to do that. It's weird how often you see a college player in his first couple of pro games heading for the gate dripping juice...
As an aside, there is one thing that I've noticed over the years: college players who have played their whole lives with full shields, lead with their heads a lot near the boards. You see an adjustment period in pro hockey as they learn not to do that. It's weird how often you see a college player in his first couple of pro games heading for the gate dripping juice...
My brother is the head coach at Robert Morris University (PA) so I went to their ACHA D1 game on Sunday. I noticed a bunch of players hitting like that and wondered what the fack they were thinking. I never thought about NCAA players doing the same then going pro and having their faces smashed by their visors. Idiots.
I haven't seen a high stick draw blood once in 6 seasons (3 years) of playing men's league here. I did get hit in the cage once, but that's it.
A few months ago, my buddy (wears a 1/2) got 8 stitches on his chin from a high stick. The same game a guy took a deflected puck of the face and got 8 between his upper lip and nose. They were sitting in side by side rooms at the hospital BSing.Oh that note, I see it maybe once every 40-50 games while playing or reffing adult league.