Chris, do you know if a No Trade Clause follows a player to a new team. For example, if Brad Richards were to waive his NTC and get traded to Columbus would he now have a NTC in Columbus?

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys! and its THREE future NHLers: I'm not counting myself out just yet. theres always a chance....

Chris, do you know if a No Trade Clause follows a player to a new team. For example, if Brad Richards were to waive his NTC and get traded to Columbus would he now have a NTC in Columbus?
It does not. There are two conditions that nullify a NTC in the SPC (standard player contract). The first is if a player is traded PRIOR to his NTC kicking in. Say, for example, a player signs a five year deal, with a NTC for the last two years. If he is traded during the first three years of that contract, the NTC would be nullified. As well, when a player agrees to a waive a NTC, that clause is then nullified for the remainder of the contract, UNLESS the acquiring team agrees to extend it. Say, for example, Bryan McCabe agrees to waive his NTC. He COULD say that he will waive it for the NYI SO long as the Islanders agree to give it back to him in his new SPC (which would be amended to show the contract between the Isles and McCabe). But, barring that, if McCabe waived his NTC, then the new team would have him under contract without an NTC. Make sense? Now I have a damn headache...
It does not. There are two conditions that nullify a NTC in the SPC (standard player contract). The first is if a player is traded PRIOR to his NTC kicking in. Say, for example, a player signs a five year deal, with a NTC for the last two years. If he is traded during the first three years of that contract, the NTC would be nullified. As well, when a player agrees to a waive a NTC, that clause is then nullified for the remainder of the contract, UNLESS the acquiring team agrees to extend it. Say, for example, Bryan McCabe agrees to waive his NTC. He COULD say that he will waive it for the NYI SO long as the Islanders agree to give it back to him in his new SPC (which would be amended to show the contract between the Isles and McCabe). But, barring that, if McCabe waived his NTC, then the new team would have him under contract without an NTC. Make sense? Now I have a damn headache...
Crystal clear...thank you.
Question to Gruven..How is Jim Thompson doing ??too soon?
Jim Thompson died in 1977.I believe you're referring to Jim Thomson. And is it not possible that Sundin was on his way to Anaheim until he refused to waive his NTC?
Jim Thompson died in 1977.I believe you're referring to Jim Thomson. And is it not possible that Sundin was on his way to Anaheim until he refused to waive his NTC?
He was never on his way anywhere...The whole year he said he isnt going..so when that buffoon said that he is unequivocally going to Anaheim, his career(thomson's) should be over...The buffoon that I refer to is Thomson....Not an attack on Gruven as he was just the messenger.
He was never on his way anywhere...The whole year he said he isnt going..so when that buffoon said that he is unequivocally going to Anaheim, his career(thomson's) should be over...The buffoon that I refer to is Thomson....Not an attack on Gruven as he was just the messenger.
Serge, you don't KNOW that he was never going anywhere. People say all sorts of thing contrary to what eventually happens.

Gruven:Does the acquisition of Peter Forsberg launch the Avalanche to the top three teams in the Western Conference?Is there any way he gets healthy and stays healthy this season?When the deal was done with Forsberg, did I pee my pants or squeel like a little girl?Why are Calgary chicks cool enough to make flashing their boobs a custom at home games and why hasn't this become standard throughout the league?

Gruven:Does the acquisition of Peter Forsberg launch the Avalanche to the top three teams in the Western Conference?Is there any way he gets healthy and stays healthy this season?When the deal was done with Forsberg, did I pee my pants or squeel like a little girl?Why are Calgary chicks cool enough to make flashing their boobs a custom at home games and why hasn't this become standard throughout the league?
Chris has given me permission to answer.1. No.2. Probably not.3. A little of both.4. The methane gas from all the cow manure makes them a little high. Plus, a cowboy hat can make even the ugliest girl appear to be attractive if it is strategically placed.
4. The methane gas from all the cow manure makes them a little high. Plus, a cowboy hat can make even the ugliest girl appear to be attractive if it is strategically placed.
I just got back from Calgary, and every time I visit I am shocked by the amount of very attractive women there. Maybe that is why :club:.
Chris has given me permission to answer.1. No.2. Probably not.3. A little of both.4. The methane gas from all the cow manure makes them a little high. Plus, a cowboy hat can make even the ugliest girl appear to be attractive if it is strategically placed.
Never thought about it that way but that is extremely correct.
Chris has given me permission to answer.4. The methane gas from all the cow manure makes them a little high. Plus, a cowboy hat can make even the ugliest girl appear to be attractive if it is strategically placed.
Funny joke...but I assume you've either:a) Never been to Calgary b ) Have incredibly bad taste in women. As RMunro said, it's definitely a Canadian hotspot, and we all know we have hotter women then down south. :club: (sorry neighbours but it's true)
Question to Gruven..How is Jim Thompson doing ??too soon?
Thomson's source was Anaheim's ownership, and Burke had come to the skeleton of an agreement with Fletcher, they were just quibbling over details. And the basis of the trade was Edmonton's first round pick, and Anaheim's first from next year conditional on either A) Anaheim making the cup final or B) Sundin re-signing with Anaheim. Part of the agreement was to hold off on the trade until noon on deadline day because Burke wanted to see what else was happening to perhaps add to the deal. Sundin shot it down with his refusal.
1) Just my opinion, but I would say no. However, it won't take Sakic/Forsberg long to re-acquaint with one another, and if nothing else it should make the Avalanche PP lethal..2) I doubt it.3) According to my sources, you peformed a solo sex act while holding up a picture of the Stanley Cup. Of course, who hasn't?4) Calgary has a ridiculous number of hot girls. Also, great clubs.... Tantra, Snatch, etc.... therefore the level of competition is high, and getting an early jump by advertising your goods on the jumbotron can only help later in the bar....
Thomson's source was Anaheim's ownership, and Burke had come to the skeleton of an agreement with Fletcher, they were just quibbling over details. And the basis of the trade was Edmonton's first round pick, and Anaheim's first from next year conditional on either A) Anaheim making the cup final or B) Sundin re-signing with Anaheim. Part of the agreement was to hold off on the trade until noon on deadline day because Burke wanted to see what else was happening to perhaps add to the deal. Sundin shot it down with his refusal.
fair enough, however anyone from an insider to a casual observer could of listened to Sundin the whole year where he kept saying over and over and over again that he isnt going anywhere....The way the Leafs treated Sundin in this matter is unexpectable...Putting him in such a bad situation...the whole mess could of been avoided months ago....
If this is true, then thank God Sundin didn't waive his NTC. This will be akin to the relief felt as a Ducks fan when they had a deal in place to deal Perry, McDonald and a pick to Edmonton for Comrie and Lowe decided at the last minute to ask Comrie to give money back to Edmonton before the deal happened. That was the deal breaker thankfully. Anaheim fans have dodged a few of these bullets in recent memory thankfully due to outside influences rather than their current GM.

Gruven has been quite today..Lurking but not saying much..Maybe Jim Thomson is using his account..He will be in soon to gloat about the $20 he made off of me

Gruven has been quite today..Lurking but not saying much..Maybe Jim Thomson is using his account..He will be in soon to gloat about the $20 he made off of me
Well I want to go ahead and thank Gruven, and all guys like him in the business who probably always have some hectic days on Trade Deadline day, and even in the days leading up to it.
No serge, not lurking.... not even online today til 6 PM.... a little busy..... :club: and the bet was by Wednesday, so you still have til midnight for Cliff to waive a player.... could happen...
No serge, not lurking.... not even online today til 6 PM.... a little busy..... :club: and the bet was by Wednesday, so you still have til midnight for Cliff to waive a player.... could happen...
its all good..I already shipped the money to mr bdc..yours is coming soon.also not sure how much of JFJ you caught but i liked his presence on the panel..He added a lot and he was honest...

Would like the opinion of Chris on the comments made by Healy today..He said that as per the CBA players contracts are not allowed to be negotiated under any circumstance...However when it comes to NTC they are negotiated...He believes this is wrong and goes against the CBA...He believes that if a player has a NTC , the issue is not up for debate...The player CANT be traded under any circumstance, even in the case of a player waiving it...That way we dont have the debacle of the Toronto situation, especially in the case of Sundin...Something to think about