Side note: what if the buy-in had been adjusted for inflation every year? What would it be now? That might've slowed down the number of entrants...
According to this: What cost $10000 in 1972 would cost $45611.08 in 2005.
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he pushes in on the river, and when the other guy starts reaching for his chips, Noel tosses his cards in the muck, gets up and leaves.
lol. Silly, he could have been faking like he was going to call.
I thought it was pretty silly to do that too, seeing as though we are talking about a $2600 buy in, not exactly the $3 rebuy on Pstars

In my opinion, there are 2 ways to look at the WSOP main event. You can say, I'm screwed, I have no chance, there are 6600 people! Let me ask you something, are there 6600 people at your table? No. You still play them 9 at a time, you still get 2 cards, 5 come up on the table, betting ensues, and the person with the best hand and who played the best wins the hand. Poker is poker no matter how many people are in the tournament.

Well It looks like I might be purchasing a plane ticket and headin to Vegas for the WSOP this year. I got a Press-Pass so I think it's worth going, but I don't want to bring too much cash with me and I'm a college student We don't have that much money as it is!So the donations begin now... :club:

1999 - Noel Furlong (who?)  Not sure if I have told this story here, but its funny anyway so if you have heard it please ignore.I was playing with him at the WPT super satelite.  He was on the button (seat 10) and I was in the SB (Seat 1).  He calls, I call, BB checks, flop 774, I check, BB Checks, he lays down a bet.  I peer around the dealer and say, "Wow, you must be the greatest player in history, how did you know to call with 74 offsuit, and to think you hit a boat, wow you are lucky".  I muck my cards, and the guy across the table says: "You don't know who he is".  At this point I had an oh crap moment.  The guy says thats the 1999 world series champion your talking to, so ya he pretty much is one of the greatest.  Well a few hands later the world champ was busted on a bluff, he pushes in on the river, and when the other guy starts reaching for his chips, Noel tosses his cards in the muck, gets up and leaves.
You may not have been far off in your assessment. From what I understand Furlong,(even though he has made the final table twice in the main event) was considered the worst player to win wsop main event by a number of pros. I think Varkonyi has now taken over that title but I would still give my left nut to be the "worst"world champion.
You may not have been far off in your assessment. From what I understand Furlong,(even though he has made the final table twice in the main event) was considered the worst player to win wsop main event by a number of pros. I think Varkonyi has now taken over that title but I would still give my left nut to be the "worst"world champion.
lmao, ya I really don't understand people who think the good move is to try to bluff at pots. It seems that they have not played in the internet age. I rarely bluff, because people seem to call with just about anything. The problem is that you have hands like what happend the other night when we were 25 handed:I raise to 3X BB, BB calls, flop comes down A98. BB comes out with a large bet. To me the bet screamed I have an A with a weak kicker. I decided to push in. Now someone raises preflop, flop comes with an A, you bet, and they push in, is your A3 good here. You wouldn't think so, but he still called.