My Big Wins & Loses In No Limit...

I have been evaluating my game a lot recently with poker tracker and I have a 65% win rate playing 100NL running at approximately between 9-11BB/100 over 20,000 hands, however my big losing sessions are much bigger than my biggest winning days. I try to play a tight solid game and not to tilt however there have been sessions where I run dry (who doesn't?).Is this a common situation to be in????I very rarely run good enough (or stick around long enough) to be sat on a stack over $300 but often see average loose type players on $400 stacks when running good. How many of us have bigger losing sessions than winning?

I'm not by any means an expert on the subject, but have you read "Ace On The River" by Greenstein?He talks about sticking it out at the tables when you're winning and the conditions are good, and walking away from them when they're not. Just from the way you're talking about it, sounds like you quit maybe too early when you're winning just to be sure you'll book a profit for the session, and playing for too long when you're stuck, trying to get back to even.

It's pretty common I think but it points out a number of related leaks:1) Tilt is almost certainly a factor in the big losses. Not always but I'd say 80-90% of the time the big loss sessions will involve at least a few hands where you didn't play your A game because of emotions. Some lag chases you down with bottom pair and cracks your AA on the river and a few hands later you're pushing JJ into him on a K high flop. It's easy to write these off as a read but they're more often tilt.2) Becoming passive or over conservative when you get a big stack is also common. If you're working to protect your chips rather than taking every edge that presents itself you're probably better off leaving.I find an odd related phenomenon that also limits the size of my winning sessions. Say I'm playing 100 NL hit a bunch of hands over a period and work it up to 250. Then I pickup AK, 3-bet, whiff the flop but c-bet and the guy raises so I have to lay it down. Now I'm down to 220. Well all of a sudden emotionally I'm stuck. I want to get back to that milestone number of 250 again. I try to force a couple hands and then I'm down to 190. "I'll just play until I'm back over 200" and more forcing, a bit of tilt and I nearly wipe out my win before I get up. It's all stuff to be aware of at the table. Honestly assess your emotional state and take a break if you're not at your best. Sometimes I can be so stubborn that I'll sit there saying "god I'm tilting bad" but still won't get up or sit out a round.

It's pretty common I think but it points out a number of related leaks:1) Tilt is almost certainly a factor in the big losses. Not always but I'd say 80-90% of the time the big loss sessions will involve at least a few hands where you didn't play your A game because of emotions. Some lag chases you down with bottom pair and cracks your AA on the river and a few hands later you're pushing JJ into him on a K high flop. It's easy to write these off as a read but they're more often tilt.2) Becoming passive or over conservative when you get a big stack is also common. If you're working to protect your chips rather than taking every edge that presents itself you're probably better off leaving.I find an odd related phenomenon that also limits the size of my winning sessions. Say I'm playing 100 NL hit a bunch of hands over a period and work it up to 250. Then I pickup AK, 3-bet, whiff the flop but c-bet and the guy raises so I have to lay it down. Now I'm down to 220. Well all of a sudden emotionally I'm stuck. I want to get back to that milestone number of 250 again. I try to force a couple hands and then I'm down to 190. "I'll just play until I'm back over 200" and more forcing, a bit of tilt and I nearly wipe out my win before I get up. It's all stuff to be aware of at the table. Honestly assess your emotional state and take a break if you're not at your best. Sometimes I can be so stubborn that I'll sit there saying "god I'm tilting bad" but still won't get up or sit out a round.
I think you hit the nail on the head here buddy. I'm no hit & run artist but I do become annoyed when I get up to say $200 and leave the table with $125 profit and feel unsatisfied with the win!@bdc30, I have read the Greenstein book and I try to stick with barry's suggestions however it's easier said than done imo!!
I find an odd related phenomenon that also limits the size of my winning sessions. Say I'm playing 100 NL hit a bunch of hands over a period and work it up to 250. Then I pickup AK, 3-bet, whiff the flop but c-bet and the guy raises so I have to lay it down. Now I'm down to 220. Well all of a sudden emotionally I'm stuck. I want to get back to that milestone number of 250 again. I try to force a couple hands and then I'm down to 190. "I'll just play until I'm back over 200" and more forcing, a bit of tilt and I nearly wipe out my win before I get up.
Absolutely spot on, I can definitely identify with this. I hate to hit and run - and tend to curse those who do - so I stay, lose some of my profit and suddenly I feel stuck even though I might be up a buy-in. It's a dangerous mindset, perhaps more so than the 'stuck and stay', because you've played well earlier in the session so you start playing more hands, whiff some draws, overcards on the flop when you have JJ/QQ etc., and Mr Tilt is tapping you on the shoulder.
Absolutely spot on, I can definitely identify with this. I hate to hit and run - and tend to curse those who do - so I stay, lose some of my profit and suddenly I feel stuck even though I might be up a buy-in. It's a dangerous mindset, perhaps more so than the 'stuck and stay', because you've played well earlier in the session so you start playing more hands, whiff some draws, overcards on the flop when you have JJ/QQ etc., and Mr Tilt is tapping you on the shoulder.
I want to meet this "Mr. Tilt" guy and kick him in the nutsack.

Chip Reese talked about this a lot. The key to being a great cash game player is staying when you're playing well and being able to walk away when you know you're not.When you're up don't be afraid of extending the session.

Chip Reese talked about this a lot. The key to being a great cash game player is staying when you're playing well and being able to walk away when you know you're not.When you're up don't be afraid of extending the session.
He also was known for his D game being exactly the same as his A game. This is a tid bit harder than knowing when to leave. Honestly, if you are winning and feel like you can still play at an optimal level, keep crushing those suckers until you have all the money.