Book Review: SuperSystem 2

Well Im currently playing 2-7 triple draw, have it open to the page with Daniel;s 8 best starting hands, playing it like a new guy right now, I leared I was playing too many hands in this game, winning more now than I ever won before playing 2-7 triple draw! The Omaha section is next on my list, I'll read the NL section last, I think I'm best in that department... looking forward to harmans section as well, maybe it will make me enjoy Limit Hold 'Em? Ehhh... I hope so lol

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weber? win money in Limit? Stick to NL bro. I'll teach you limit you teach me NL?lolWeber = My Homie
Haha Yeah Yeah Beal, I'm gonna try hard my friend, all I need is time my friend! Get off me Beal, I got you!Beal... I'm gonna sit down at your limit some day......And then im going to stand back up and walk to another one :D

Just finished (bought it Tuesday.), and I to admit, I was disappointed that there was no new NLH section.I understand his reasoning but I guess that subjectively I just really wanted it to be possible. **sigh** But the rest of the book didn’t let me down! PLO was great! SEOB was great! And the holdem was great!But the thing Caro did was the best!$25 well spent.Dutch

Great book! The New Testament of the poker bible. I read both books and they both are worth every penny. I enjoyed every page. I thought so too. The strategies are great for someone like me, trying to be good in all games. I really liked the omaha sections because they were very descriptive and have helped my game since. I had high expectations for this book, and it met and bettered them.

Jennifer's section was great, the PLO section was great, and Todd's Stud8 chapter was awesome.I was dissapointed though that there is no Chinese Poker section. I play chinese alot at the club where i play poker, before we start the games, Someone mentioned a chinese section...was it only in the Doyle's Room version? Is there anyway to get a hold of that section?

Jennifer's section was great, the PLO section was great, and Todd's Stud8 chapter was awesome.I was dissapointed though that there is no Chinese Poker section. I play chinese alot at the club where i play poker, before we start the games, Someone mentioned a chinese section...was it only in the Doyle's Room version? Is there anyway to get a hold of that section?
I have the Doyle's Room version. No Chinese Poker. There is not a version out there with 1. I assume it's an internet hoax or someone's wild guessing when seeing that Chan contributed.
  • 1 month later...

I got my brand new Super System 2 through Amazon.com.Here's my two cents (note I have the original Super System also):To start, there's a bunch of stuff regarding Doyle's life. I didn't buy it for an autobiography, so I was very disappointed to see this in there (again).The history of texas holdem was interesting, but I would rather have been given a link to this info in the book that I could look up online. The limit holdem section was great. The Stud 8 section was great.The Omaha section was great.The triple draw section was great (even though I have never played, and have yet to see it online where I wanted to try it).The majority of the NL section was a waste, due to it already being in the original super system. Some new points to ponder from Doyle, but not enough in my mind.I paid $50 for this book, so I wanted $50 worth of poker insight to improve my play (and my bankroll). Ive got to clear most likely two different bonuses on two different sites to get that $50 back, which just doens't seem worth it to me.Very disappointing. :naughty: Sorry if I am being harsh, but that is just how I feel.

• 1 month later...

The limit holdem by Harman was great. I converted from playing NL to limit online because I didn't like the swings of NL and this book was a great source for doing that

The limit holdem section was great.  The Stud 8 section was great.The Omaha section was great.The triple draw section was great (even though I have never played, and have yet to see it online where I wanted to try it).I paid $50 for this book, so I wanted $50 worth of poker insight to improve my play (and my bankroll).  Ive got to clear most likely two different bonuses on two different sites to get that $50 back, which just doens't seem worth it to me.Very disappointing. :naughty:  Sorry if I am being harsh, but that is just how I feel.
Reread the limit section about a dozen more times. If you can't make $50 from that, try again with the Stud and Omaha sections. :roll:

Reread the limit section about a dozen more times. If you can't make $50 from that, try again with the Stud and Omaha sections. :roll:Your looking up all my posts to see how i play aren't you...lol :wink:

No, just randomly noticed this post after I finally got around to browsing this thread.We can agree to disagree, but the Omaha chapters will at least save you $50 just from avoiding traps if you play any form of Omaha.If I realized your post was over a month old, I wouldn't have bothered to reply. :oops:

No, just randomly noticed this post after I finally got around to browsing this thread.We can agree to disagree, but the Omaha chapters will at least save you $50 just from avoiding traps if you play any form of Omaha.If I realized your post was over a month old, I wouldn't have bothered to reply.   :oops:
Omaha Hi/Lo is my favorite game, Stud Hi/Lo is my best game, NL tourneys I am pretty good at (SNG's that is), Limit Hold-em is probably my worst game (hence some of the crazy posts) :wink:
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,I picked up Super System 2 a couple of days ago from my local book store. I never read the original, so I don't really care about the information being the same in the No Limit section. All I've read so far is the NL section, and I enjoyed it. I'm just wondering if I should put Doyle's strategies to use when playing against reasonably inexperienced players? Every couple weeks, I play with a bunch of guys who aren't terrific poker players, but they aren't too bad. They know you should fold crap hands when there are a lot of players and stuff. We play tournament style. Think I should try it?Thanks,cougarelite

• 1 month later...

My opinion of this book has changed since July. In July I was playing low limit o8 and limit hold'em primarly. Now I play every game in this book. Since then I have progressed from .50-1 to the middle limits. I have to say, that as a beginner I did not get much out of what they were saying in SSII, but now I understand the concepts and theories in the books much better. I used to think the o8 section was so-so, but now that I have some experienced in that game, I think it's the best part of the book. Now that I've read the triple draw section, I can honestly say it would of taken me much longer to progress in that game as quickly as I did. The stud/8 section is another great read and has helped my game a lot. However, I don't like to play stud games online since I often get distracted and can't remember the upcards, particulary when they are folded so quickly. The pot limit omaha section is also very good, although I think there needs to be a lot more expansion. I don't think Lyle Berman is giving a full enough insight on LAG play. However, this is how all the top pot limit omaha players play. The no limit section is great, but it's pretty much a rewrite of the SSI chapter. Now that I look back on it, the limit hold'em section is good, but there's not much new concepts addressed. One dissapointment of the book is I don't think there is not enough on shorthanded or heads up strategy.

ok ~ not that my 2 cents really matters but here we go !I found Todds section on 7 card stud very well done ~ so much so if todd ever writes a book i will buy it !!!Daniels bit trip draw ~ is top notch and should be read by anyone who plays trip draw or is thinking about it.(next time online look at how the game is being played and you will see daniels influence)jennifer Harmons bit was ok ~ not super but (ok) for me anyways ~ the entire section on WPT was a nice read but made the book cheap .the history of texas holdem was a nice bit ~I love mike Caro ~ and love his website (poker1.com ) and i find reading anything write by mike as thought provoking .and if you dont own SS1 the no limit section is timeless like gucci ~ good things never go out of style

this book was definitely worth the buy...with the variety of games and in-depth advanced detail, I'm definitely a satisfied customer