I agree that a recession is not a thing to run and jump off of a cliff over. They are painful but also a inevitable/necessary part of the economic cycle. They are cleansing and they always pass. (pardon the obvious gastrointestinal correlation).So true, this one is needed badly. It may hurt but in the long term it will be a good thing.Keep your investment powder dry, selectively invest, be patient, and this will all turn out just fine.well said
I just bought a house today. It is a small rancher bult in the 50's...i paid 150k. The guy selling will lose it in 3 days. I agreed to let him stay and rent for for 1,200.00 per month. He thanked me 3 times for bailing him out. He is now going to keep about 30k in equity that he would have lost...my buddy in real estate comped it at about 240k!!!Crown royal tonight!!
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a house today. It is a small rancher bult in the 50's...i paid 150k. The guy selling will lose it in 3 days. I agreed to let him stay and rent for for 1,200.00 per month. He thanked me 3 times for bailing him out. He is now going to keep about 30k in equity that he would have lost...my buddy in real estate comped it at about 240k!!!Crown royal tonight!!
The American way at work again :club: For every person that's struggling in a downturn there are always a few that can find a way to make a profit.
The American way at work again :club:
Yea…great country!! If you manage you’re your money and use your head you can do quite well…I did let him keep 30k…which is more then the banks or anyone else was going to let him do. Plus I am letting him stay there for about 300.00 a month under market rates for a place like that…I am practically a humanitarian!!!
Yea…great country!! If you manage you’re your money and use your head you can do quite well…I did let him keep 30k…which is more then the banks or anyone else was going to let him do. Plus I am letting him stay there for about 300.00 a month under market rates for a place like that…I am practically a humanitarian!!!
Yeah, looking at it, you are like a modern Mother Theresa! :club: Wow, what a day. Gold breaks $1000 an oz. which is an all time high.(source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/13/markets/gold/index.htm)Oil tops $111 which is an all time high.(source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/13/markets/oi...ion=2008031307)The dollar is plunging.(source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/13/markets/do...ion=2008031309)And it seems that the $200 billion injection into the stock market only hurt things more than helped...obviously to people in the know.(source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/13/markets/ma...ex.htm?cnn=yes)Now, I see people getting excited about being able to make money off of the down turn. But what happens if hyper inflation turns the US dollar into confetti? BTW it is interesting that Ballon guy and loismustdie haven't posted here in awhile. Turns out I really did know what I was talking about and they knew nothing...interesting.
Yeah, looking at it, you are like a modern Mother Theresa! :club: Wow, what a day. Gold breaks $1000 an oz. which is an all time high.(source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/13/markets/gold/index.htm)Oil tops $111 which is an all time high.(source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/13/markets/oi...ion=2008031307)The dollar is plunging.(source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/13/markets/do...ion=2008031309)And it seems that the $200 billion injection into the stock market only hurt things more than helped...obviously to people in the know.(source: http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/13/markets/ma...ex.htm?cnn=yes)Now, I see people getting excited about being able to make money off of the down turn. But what happens if hyper inflation turns the US dollar into confetti? BTW it is interesting that Ballon guy and loismustdie haven't posted here in awhile. Turns out I really did know what I was talking about and they knew nothing...interesting.
You are correct, we are probably go to have a global flush out which could be severe!
Yeah, looking at it, you are like a modern Mother Theresa! :club: Now, I see people getting excited about being able to make money off of the down turn. But what happens if hyper inflation turns the US dollar into confetti? BTW it is interesting that Ballon guy and loismustdie haven't posted here in awhile. Turns out I really did know what I was talking about and they knew nothing...interesting.
Ummm..... half of the countries holding our notes go down with us, which then takes down all the other countries creating a global calamity of apocalyptic proportions?Look... everyone gets screwed if this happens,,, so guess what? It won't. You can make sure of that. Why do you think the Saudis are pumping billions in to prop up the major US banks? They know that if we sink, they and everyone else sinks too.Not gonna happen.On the local front, I repeat...120 billion are about to be released to the public in early May in the form of federal economic stimulus packages.The sky ain't gonna fall folks. It's definitely on fire, but this will pass. We will get thru this. Sit tight, take some Advil for the pain, and don't panic. Also, I can't wait until the artificially inflated OIL balloons bursts. That's gonna be a doosey!
Ummm..... half of the countries holding our notes go down with us, which then takes down all the other countries creating a global calamity of apocalyptic proportions?Look... everyone gets screwed if this happens,,, so guess what? It won't. You can make sure of that. Why do you think the Saudis are pumping billions in to prop up the major US banks? They know that if we sink, they and everyone else sinks too.Not gonna happen.On the local front, I repeat...120 billion are about to be released to the public in early May in the form of federal economic stimulus packages.The sky ain't gonna fall folks. It's definitely on fire, but this will pass. We will get thru this. Sit tight, take some Advil for the pain, and don't panic. Also, I can't wait until the artificially inflated OIL balloons bursts. That's gonna be a doosey!
Every country in the world is getting rid of dollars. The Saudi/Dubai guys aren't just propping up US banks. They are buying parts of them! (source: http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=360) I like to source claims. From that article:"The recent series of multi-billion dollar acquisitions of chunks of major financial institutions like Citigroup, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Blackstone Group and Bear Stearns by foreign governments, many of them authoritarian, nontransparent and unfriendly to the West – a buyout of America’s prime symbols of economic prowess - symbolizes not only our economic decline but also the emergence of sovereign wealth funds as power brokers in international relations. These government-owned investment funds, some controlled by oil rich autocrats and some by Asian powers like China and Singapore, are pouring billions into hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate, natural resources, media conglomerates and other nodes of the West's economy. It is estimated that sovereign wealth funds owned over $3 trillion in assets at the end of 2007 and within one decade they could balloon to $15 trillion, equivalent roughly to America’s projected gross domestic product."So while you think its no big deal that the US dollar goes down, foreign governments are buying up everything for a HUGE discount! Within 10 years they will own equal to the entire US GDP. Now, I have to really laugh (no offense) at your claims of an "artificially inflated OIL balloon." What is artifical about it? What is inflated? Do you realize that oil is so high because of a weak dollar and not the affects of supply/demand. Why do you think oil per barrel is pretty much equal in price as it was 5 years ago when bought in Euros? Why is oil the same price when bought in gold as it was 5 years ago? Why has price per barrel gone up almost 4 times the price when bought in US dollars?I'm not running around panicking that the sky is falling...but I'm not ignorant about many things either.
Every country in the world is getting rid of dollars. The Saudi/Dubai guys aren't just propping up US banks. They are buying parts of them! (source: http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=360) I like to source claims. From that article:"The recent series of multi-billion dollar acquisitions of chunks of major financial institutions like Citigroup, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Blackstone Group and Bear Stearns by foreign governments, many of them authoritarian, nontransparent and unfriendly to the West – a buyout of America’s prime symbols of economic prowess - symbolizes not only our economic decline but also the emergence of sovereign wealth funds as power brokers in international relations. These government-owned investment funds, some controlled by oil rich autocrats and some by Asian powers like China and Singapore, are pouring billions into hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate, natural resources, media conglomerates and other nodes of the West's economy. It is estimated that sovereign wealth funds owned over $3 trillion in assets at the end of 2007 and within one decade they could balloon to $15 trillion, equivalent roughly to America’s projected gross domestic product."So while you think its no big deal that the US dollar goes down, foreign governments are buying up everything for a HUGE discount! Within 10 years they will own equal to the entire US GDP. Now, I have to really laugh (no offense) at your claims of an "artificially inflated OIL balloon." What is artifical about it? What is inflated? Do you realize that oil is so high because of a weak dollar and not the affects of supply/demand. Why do you think oil per barrel is pretty much equal in price as it was 5 years ago when bought in Euros? Why is oil the same price when bought in gold as it was 5 years ago? Why has price per barrel gone up almost 4 times the price when bought in US dollars?I'm not running around panicking that the sky is falling...but I'm not ignorant about many things either.
Not saying at all the the dollars devaluation is "no big deal". It is a very big deal indeed, but the chances of it lasting forever and/or going completely ca-put is absurd. These are not fun times nor good times, but a cyclical anomaly that will eventually right itself. The Oil prices are artificially inflated based partially on the dollars weakness and the greedy pricks on Wall Street. There is just as much oil now as there was 5 years ago and just as many refineries, in fact MORE are on line that were then.These are rough waters indeed, but I have faith that things will change for the better in the not to distant future. Nothing stays the same forever and these bad times too shall pass.
Not saying at all the the dollars devaluation is "no big deal". It is a very big deal indeed, but the chances of it lasting forever and/or going completely ca-put is absurd. These are not fun times nor good times, but a cyclical anomaly that will eventually right itself. The Oil prices are artificially inflated based partially on the dollars weakness and the greedy pricks on Wall Street. There is just as much oil now as there was 5 years ago and just as many refineries, in fact MORE are on line that were then.These are rough waters indeed, but I have faith that things will change for the better in the not to distant future. Nothing stays the same forever and these bad times too shall pass.
Exactly, this won't last forever and it is cycle. I just fear what things are going to look like when things get worse and we come out on the other side of this.Am I missing something? How is oil artificially inflated? It dollars it is worth exactly what it is at. Death to greedy Wall St. pricks! :club:
Not saying at all the the dollars devaluation is "no big deal". It is a very big deal indeed, but the chances of it lasting forever and/or going completely ca-put is absurd. These are not fun times nor good times, but a cyclical anomaly that will eventually right itself.
I think this is the dollar righting itself. It's been too high. Look at salaries in India. Can you look at that and think, "Oh yeah, that's right."
You think I'm happy about a poor economy? Ballon guy and Loismustdie were all over me weeks ago saying that the economy has nothing to worry about and that if a recession did happen there is nothing to worry about.I'm only glad people can see that they really don't know what they are talking about...don't get it twisted.
Just watch. Do yourself a favour- walk around stores. Restaurants. Malls. Car lots. Anywhere that has a big sign that says SALE. At these places you will find people, lot's of them. With money. Spending it. Happily. I work around money- alot of people have alot of it. Oh, you're broke? Now I understand. Well, that's easily fixable. Newspaper=classifieds=job openings=opportunity for you to make money!!! Wheeeee!! Ain't america grand?
Foreign investment is a good thing right now, especially now. Can you figure out why?

I'm not thinking it's a great thing because of the "golden rule" - he who has the gold makes the rules. I personally don't want a bunch of foreign countries making the rules for us. You might be okay with that but I don't want the U.S. to be owned by a bunch of new age colonists.

I'm not thinking it's a great thing because of the "golden rule" - he who has the gold makes the rules. I personally don't want a bunch of foreign countries making the rules for us. You might be okay with that but I don't want the U.S. to be owned by a bunch of new age colonists.
Exactly what will happen?
Just watch. Do yourself a favour- walk around stores. Restaurants. Malls. Car lots. Anywhere that has a big sign that says SALE. At these places you will find people, lot's of them. With money. Spending it. Happily. I work around money- alot of people have alot of it. Oh, you're broke? Now I understand. Well, that's easily fixable. Newspaper=classifieds=job openings=opportunity for you to make money!!! Wheeeee!! Ain't america grand?
I hate to break this to you, but there are people everywhere. Oh and people are spending money on food and in stores...mind blowing. It is obvious you don't understand what is happening...Right, I'm broke...that must be it. Couldn't possibly go on without a personal attack since you aren't smart enough to debate logically. Shows what an immature moron you are.
Oh, confused as to how international business works? That's a shame, not surprising however.
Do you think we have influence over foreign nations like Saudi Arabia or China because they just like us and wanna be friends? Not a chance. We have influence over them because we hold the purse strings at the moment and because we have a powerful military. So what happens if suddenly it's not us holding the purse strings but them? Do you really think that at that point they'll even BE our friends? I very much doubt it. Hey easy way to take over the United States of America - just buy it.
Do you think we have influence over foreign nations like Saudi Arabia or China because they just like us and wanna be friends? Not a chance. We have influence over them because we hold the purse strings at the moment and because we have a powerful military. So what happens if suddenly it's not us holding the purse strings but them? Do you really think that at that point they'll even BE our friends? I very much doubt it. Hey easy way to take over the United States of America - just buy it.
Wow, nice to see someone understands this!Not to mention that all the profits (see taxes) are now in the hands on foreign governments. Oh, if you haven't noticed Loismustdie, it isn't foreign investment by foreign corporations, but rather governments.
This shows an insane lack of knowledge of basic investment principal, and leaps to conclusions that make no sense. Take over United States by investment? How, exactly, would that be possible? Think about this. We need money- money is tight. Creating money bad- hey-, here is guy with money. He wants to give it to us!! He is government- what??? We can't allow that!! Why give foreign power a weapon against us? Wait a second, that makes no sense- why would one want to destroy that which he has a large investment in? DOH!!
This shows an insane lack of knowledge of basic investment principal, and leaps to conclusions that make no sense. Take over United States by investment? How, exactly, would that be possible? Think about this. We need money- money is tight. Creating money bad- hey-, here is guy with money. He wants to give it to us!! He is government- what??? We can't allow that!! Why give foreign power a weapon against us? Wait a second, that makes no sense- why would one want to destroy that which he has a large investment in? DOH!!
Lol, it would still be cheaper to him then having to keep up with us militarily. The golden rule principle applies here - he who has the gold makes the rules. And you're being really naive if you believe that it won't be used against us. Money is just another means to power. That's why corporate America has more power in congress than we do. And why you won't see any real attempt at ethics reform.
Lol, it would still be cheaper to him then having to keep up with us militarily. The golden rule principle applies here - he who has the gold makes the rules. And you're being really naive if you believe that it won't be used against us. Money is just another means to power. That's why corporate America has more power in congress than we do. And why you won't see any real attempt at ethics reform.
Foreign investment creates situations where the opposite actually occurs- foreign governments have interest in keeping america solvent because they are heavily invested in america. If it became a situation where, for whatever reason, a foreign power would try to leverage power away from the US because of a piece of a business that is owned, guess what would happen? Well, magically, that government would no longer own that piece of that business, and would not be allowed to even play- there are certain countries where if you call me from that country I can't even talk to you, no investment in US interests allowed by those countries. There are protections against your doomsday scenario that makes your doomsday scenario improbable x10,000.

Sorry i've been missing this thread, I forgot that the US was about to crumble and I was stupidly working my butt off making money for the last few weeks.Luckily I am going to take that money and invest it in myself, instead of give it away to the government.So we are about to head into a recession?And this is a big deal?????? How?you mean our cyclical financial system is acting...cyclical?Had an interesting talk with a one star General the other day, he was postulating that without the high price of oil, that Russia would be in dire economic straits. As in really really dire. But with high prices, their oil industry is keeping this nuclear powered country afloat. Last thing we want is a starving nuclear powered country with a history of invasions. Better to pay them in oil than to just hand them the money.Anyway, I am almost done with my refinance, taking advantage of these low interest rates to consolidate my loans into tax write off intereest payments, allowing me to hold on to my empire, while screwing the government at the same time. Did you hear about the latest level of tax increases? Income levels of $31K and up get a tax increase. Thank you democrat majority. Hello deepening recession.I want to buy up a bunch of cheap real estate so I can become a slumlord too. How bad does the property have to be to qualify?BTW any chance you guys could keep me current with when the housing market will finish it's free fall? It's hard to tell here because the currrent high level housing market is still maintaining record numbers, with $1,000 a sq ft being the norm, and sales happening within 10 days of listing on ave

Jobs post biggest drop in 5 yearshttp://money.cnn.com/2008/03/07/news/econo...dex.htm?cnn=yes"Employers made their deepest cut in staffing in in almost five years in February, according to a closely watched government report Friday that showed the labor market far weaker than expected, fueling already building recession fears."Wow!! Ballon guy has offcially been OWNED in this thread by me...congrats! :club:
ah to be young again.and to be so fortunate that in your life seeing a 5% unemployment figure and thinking it's horrible.It seems like only yesterday that we were at 10% and Ronald Reagan had to step in and save us from the disaster that was Carter.And only last night When Bill Clinton didn't see anything less than 6% for most of his terms in office.But we are over 5% now? How much over? 5.1%???????? Wow, just liquidate now I say. Do you know that there is a little reported on fact, but unemployement levels of 4% are considered FULL employment. Any time the number is below that it means we need more people. 4% of the population will always be between jobs. Always.Don't be so tied up in the doom and gloom reporting done by the newspapers.As soon as Obama gets elected they will praise him for being so incredible and getting us only at 5.5% unemployment. Just wait.And forclosure rates. Here's a little fact you won't see reported in the newspaper. If a person has a second morgage, and gets forclosed on, it counts as 3 forclosures. One for the main, one for the second, and one for the forclosure sale.Hello reality, let me introduce you to Kenny. Be nice to him, he is just starting

Re: the Saudis taking us over. I'm old enough to remember when it was the Japanese, and all the needless panic that caused. Didn't happen then, won't happen now.

If you guys dug deeper, I don't think any of you would vote for the three remaining major candidates.First of all, have a look at this 2 dvd set entitled, "Where is the world going, Mr. Stiglitz?"Joseph Stiglitz won the Nobel Prize, and he speaks for about 5 hours ... explaining what is working and what is not re globalization.Then, realize that Obama as well as Clinton and McCain are all pretty hawkish, have a look at who's backing Obama (clue, look at who he is unable to fire after that Canadian Embassy/Ohio/NAFTA 'miscommunication' last week--you will conclude he lied). Goolsby (spelling) is pretty right wing, angling to deny heating oil relief to those strapped this winter.Makes good reading.