daniel, how do you play this ....

Copying from another post, but wanted to see if I put Daniel in the title, maybe he will respond :-) I have turned this around to say we are the other guy (for those who are familiar with the stuation)The situation:You are second in chips with 6000, all other players have 2000-5000. Blinds 100/200. You hold A9 and limp in EP (don't ask me why). There are 3 limpers in the hand and the BB. pot is 900. Flop comes 962 with 2 clubs. BP bets 1000, you call, chip leader goes all in, other two players fold. It's up to you, what do you do?A) CallB) FoldThe result is obviously not important here, but the thinking of your play would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think daniel would say somethign he's said about tournament play in general:"don't get mixed up in big pots with the chip leader."It's a bad play because you can put him on a big pair, two pair or a good drawing hand. Your 9 with an ace kicker, while solid, is still very vulnerable. You'd put the pressure on the smaller stacks with that hand, because it's a good hand, but you don't want to get knocked out with it especially out of position.If the chip leader can have a large chunk out of his ass taken out by you in second and sitting in front of you. With the stacks and blinds like that, there's no reason for him to take a chance on a mid-range hand.Fold... fold quickly.

i think this is an easy fold. u have only put in 200, there's no need to risk 6000 and death on a marginal situation like this. and if u fold u are still 2nd in chips and still in great positioni would probably put the raiser on something like a flush draw and overcards, like KQs. it's a strong hand and a very slight mathematical overdog, but he would probably rather not be called, since it is a gamble, so he's trying to buy the pot right there

Daniel wanted me to tell you, "Blippity Blop, Blippity Bloop, Bloopety Blip."
LOL, classicI love though how people alwys start Daniel would say ....I don't mind hearing other people's opinions at all, you don't have to justify your own opinion by started it "Daniel would say .."Anyway, I agree about the fold, we are debating this on antoher thread, and I keep saying that it's a bad call and other are saying it's a good call. I think the chip leader's all in move was brilliant and I don't see how you could call this at all.Hoping Daniel responds himself and not through anyone else :-)

Flop comes 962 with 2 clubs. BP bets 1000, you call, chip leader goes all in, other two players fold. It's up to you, what do you do? Fold, what are you, retarded?The call of the first 1000 is terrible to begin with. You shouldn't even be looking at this decision, ever, three handed.Only 19 hands or so are crushing you....

sorry, that I play to win... and not to stay alive... everyone is worried about "risking their tourney life" where as I feel like finishing in first...he doesn't have on overpair, he didn't raise preflop...what the crap hand would he be holding that would give him two pair? 92, 96,62?.... umm yeah, I'm thinking that NO ONE would hold these cards for two pair.... the leader wasn't in either of the blinds. he was UTG or UTG+1... he doesn't have a big pair, or two pair...so what does that leave us with? a draw... and someone please tell me again why we don't like calling other people when THEY are on the draw and we are on the real hand... I enjoy winning, doubling up against the chip leader sounds like a good plan to win to me.edit+ only hands I'm really scared of is maybe 66 or 99 as possibilities... but I think he would have raised either pocket pair preflop.I KNOW we have the best hand, so I am calling with the best hand... and 60% of the time, I'm going to win this pot... and have a cake-walk for the whole tourney.

Easy fold - anyone willing to put all their chips in on this hand has a strong made hand. This is a marginal holding, and not one Id be willing to put my entire chip stack on.Betting thousands to win 900? Not smart.Dev

so what does that leave us with? Um, a set?Seriously, you must get just crushed in tournaments constantly calling all ins in situations like this.What's that like? Share with us.

Copying from another post, but wanted to see if I put Daniel in the title, maybe he will respond :-) I have turned this around to say we are the other guy (for those who are familiar with the stuation)The situation:You are second in chips with 6000, all other players have 2000-5000. Blinds 100/200. You hold A9 and limp in EP (don't ask me why). There are 3 limpers in the hand and the BB. pot is 900.  Flop comes 962 with 2 clubs. BP bets 1000, you call, chip leader goes all in, other two players fold. It's up to you, what do you do?A) CallB) FoldThe result is obviously not important here, but the thinking of your play would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance.
why bother daniel with stupid questions that have easy answers.

clarrify:After the flop, the pot is 2900 and then chip leader goes all in. We have A9 and called the BB flop bet. We have about 4800 left. See Jist, you are the only one who says call, maybe I'm not the bad player here.

yeah,.... if you guys want to see what the player who moved all-in REALLY had.... check it out http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...pic.php?t=11793 there....hmmm... yeah he had a flush draw.... thank you very much....smash, I am worried about a set... I already made an edit to that post as soon as I hit it..... but don't you think a raise would have been made with 99,66? MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE he has 22...... but I wouldn't think so.

clarrify:After the flop, the pot is 2900 and then chip leader goes all in. We have A9 and called the BB flop bet. We have about 4800 left.  See Jist, you are the only one who says call, maybe I'm not the bad player here.
if you are convinced you should call why post itit would be a horrible call.accept that and move on
why bother daniel with stupid questions that have easy answers.
Well Jist, who is arguing against me, thinks that the guy is obviously on a flush draw and thus you have the best hand and thus you should call.I agree with everyone else, just wanted to hear from others, and Daniel.

now change the question saba... how about this..."Who on this site would fold TPTK to a flush draw when they know that if they win they will have a cake-walk to a first place finish?"trust me, I don't feel the need to post it to daniel....Me and SabaAba were having a discussion in the other thread... and he felt the need to ask Daniel... I really am not sure about you guys... but I like winning tournaments not "hanging on" long enough to finish in third.... so to me, being 2nd in chips, and having a 65% chance of doubling up against the chip leader.... yeah, that sounds like a good play to me.

"Who on this site would fold TPTK to a flush draw when they know that if they win they will have a cake-walk to a first place finish?"Depends what the TP is, idiot.If you have A5 and the flop comes 235 you can see how that's diffrent than AK with a K47 flop, no?See why the call sucks even more now?Also, wake the **** up, people slowplay big pairs and limp with them ALL THE TIME.

I really am not sure about you guys... but I like winning tournamentsNot if you make horrible calls like this very often.If this is a flush half the time, you're cal still sucks.Do you see why?

Jist we agree on something, we want to win the tournament :-)Now with that said, that's the reason I'm folding. I at best put him on two overs with a flush draw, and like I said before even if I put him on AKc, that's 12 outs to my "made" hand, and a coin flip. I sure am not going to win the tournament if I keep putting my chip stack on the line with coin flips, not even with 60% odds do I make this call.If you told me he had A8clubs (which he did for those who didn't read the last post), I would only call if this was a cash game.

I think the chip leader's all in move was brilliant and I don't see how you could call this at all.
That's because if I read the other thread correctly' date=' it was you. Most people can't accept that they make poor plays' date=' especially when they have a positive outcome.You were at *Best* roughly a 1/4 shot to hit your flush. You also stated that you got away with it twice in one night, which really accenuates your poor play.
Hoping Daniel responds himself and not through anyone else :-)
Ahhh.. the wonders of email. If you don't want people to respond to your question, don't post it in an Internet forum.

If you told me he had A8clubs (which he did for those who didn't read the last post), I would only call if this was a cash game.Ahh, someone posted results.That often explains people advocating brain dead plays like calling here.

I think the chip leader's all in move was brilliant and I don't see how you could call this at all.
That's because if I read the other thread correctly' date=' it was you. Most people can't accept that they make poor plays' date=' especially when they have a positive outcome.You were at *Best* [b'']roughly a 1/4 shot to [/b]hit your flush. You also stated that you got away with it twice in one night' date=' which really accenuates your poor play.
Hoping Daniel responds himself and not through anyone else :-)
Ahhh.. the wonders of email. If you don't want people to respond to your question, don't post it in an Internet forum.
Not the case at all, I clearly stated I wanted to hear other's opinions, I just also wanted to hear Daniel's. And more like 35% to hit it with both turn and river coming.And finally this wasn't me, LOL I would not have even limped in with A9 in EP, I would have most likely done the same thing the big stack did though :-)
If you told me he had A8clubs (which he did for those who didn't read the last post), I would only call if this was a cash game.Ahh, someone posted results.That often explains people advocating brain dead plays like calling here.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:I concur Smash.

oh, yes... we forgot to mention... this is a "Poker Pub" freeroll tournament...maybe this I am relying on that fact too much for this situation... you see, I've played in some of those, I know the level of skill and the bonehead moves made in those.... I know how the people in those think... that's how I can be so confident that my hand and read is correct... and if not. oh well, it was a freeroll....if this was online, or in any tourney with over a $20 buy-in.... yes I would fold, and wait for better, stronger opportunities... but because of the tourney, the LOOSE player... the dude called from EP with A8suited...,and the read, I would think that making this call would be +EV....would I make this call ALL the time. no, of course not... but as is with EVERY hand in poker there are certain factors that dictate whether you call or not.... and I believe that in this circumstance I can strongly put him on a flush draw enough to make this call..... if this bet was made by a tight player I respected.... I fold... if this play was made by smash... I fold.... since this play was made by a loose, poker noob... I call.