Post In This Thread..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

{ x } needs to improve at poker before he can post in this thread
i was told to read this thread!?!?

This thread reminds me of the quality which differentiates winning players from losing players: confidence. Winning players expect to win, losing players expect to lose. If you don't enter a tournament feeling confident, you shouldn't be playing at all, because you're just donating. In Super System, Doyle Brunson says, "Allowing your confidence to be shaken can turn a simple losing streak into a case of going bad."Becoming a profitable poker player isn't about reaching a certain level and staying there, it is about constantly improving one's game. Everyone else is trying to get better, so if you are content to stay where you are, you are falling behind relatively.So if you say that you suck at poker and that you'll never be good, you will never be good, because you will only go as far as you think you are able to go. I think that all of you are better than that, and even if you aren't at the moment, you have the ability to improve yourself, and it all starts with telling yourself that you can do it.Negative thoughts serve no constructive purpose, so stop hindering yourselves and go make bank.

POSTED
You, sir, can't be serious... Haven't you won significant amounts of $$$ and hang out at PokerHaus?Anyway, I'm posting here because I just can't seem to get a groove on when I get deep in a tourney. Winning one shitty little tourney every 6 freaking months isn't good enough and getting 40th for $70 (and over 4 hours of "work") doesn't quite cut the mustard either...At the same time, I do enjoy myself. I'm getting much better at dealing with suckouts and other leaky issues, so it isn't like I'm having a bad time.Oh, and the confidence factor is there. I rarely enter a tourney feeling like I can't win it, but my reality check comes from knowing that luck and opportunity play almost as big a part as skill and judicious timing.
You, sir, can't be serious... Haven't you won significant amounts of $$$ and hang out at PokerHaus?Anyway, I'm posting here because I just can't seem to get a groove on when I get deep in a tourney. Winning one shitty little tourney every 6 freaking months isn't good enough and getting 40th for $70 (and over 4 hours of "work") doesn't quite cut the mustard either...At the same time, I do enjoy myself. I'm getting much better at dealing with suckouts and other leaky issues, so it isn't like I'm having a bad time.
so if i posted in here and i beat an fcp member friday night HU should i post their name for them??

'nuff said

This thread reminds me of the quality which differentiates winning players from losing players: confidence. Winning players expect to win, losing players expect to lose. If you don't enter a tournament feeling confident, you shouldn't be playing at all, because you're just donating. In Super System, Doyle Brunson says, "Allowing your confidence to be shaken can turn a simple losing streak into a case of going bad."Becoming a profitable poker player isn't about reaching a certain level and staying there, it is about constantly improving one's game. Everyone else is trying to get better, so if you are content to stay where you are, you are falling behind relatively.So if you say that you suck at poker and that you'll never be good, you will never be good, because you will only go as far as you think you are able to go. I think that all of you are better than that, and even if you aren't at the moment, you have the ability to improve yourself, and it all starts with telling yourself that you can do it.Negative thoughts serve no constructive purpose, so stop hindering yourselves and go make bank.
Like ya, when I am playing all I am is confident, expecting to win, thinking positive thoughts, etc. But seriously, I do not just want to be some random guy who makes a little $. I want to be one of the top players in the world whatever it be, tournaments or cash games. This is just the way I feel. When I have put so much time into poker and I still suck and realistically have no shot at becoming one of the best it just makes me mad and makes me want to stop and pursue something else. I dont know.
I think this is a great post, but, admiting you suck isn't neccesarily being negative because you're recognising the fact you suck and you're trying to get better(which judging by the fact people are even members of this forum, they are attempting to improve).
Like ya, when I am playing all I am is confident, expecting to win, thinking positive thoughts, etc. But seriously, I do not just want to be some random guy who makes a little $. I want to be one of the top players in the world whatever it be, tournaments or cash games. This is just the way I feel. When I have put so much time into poker and I still suck and realistically have no shot at becoming one of the best it just makes me mad and makes me want to stop and pursue something else. I dont know.
I totaly relate to this and i think a lot of people do aswell. However, the percentage of people who we class as 'top players in the world' is ridiculously small, i think you're thinking about it totaly wrong if you view yourself as being in the top .0001% of players in the world or a failure.Do not compare yourself to others, as there will always be better and worse persons than yourself.Measure your success by your own meter, seek to better yourself, not to better some guy on P5s who won a Full Tilt Major and is now famous online.Also, in contrast to what i said above, you seem to be better than a hell of a lot of people anyway so you obviously don't suck.
I think this is a great post, but, admiting you suck isn't neccesarily being negative because you're recognising the fact you suck and you're trying to get better(which judging by the fact people are even members of this forum, they are attempting to improve). I totaly relate to this and i think a lot of people do aswell. However, the percentage of people who we class as 'top players in the world' is ridiculously small, i think you're thinking about it totaly wrong if you view yourself as being in the top .0001% of players in the world or a failure.Do not compare yourself to others, as there will always be better and worse persons than yourself.Measure your success by your own meter, seek to better yourself, not to better some guy on P5s who won a Full Tilt Major and is now famous online.Also, in contrast to what i said above, you seem to be better than a hell of a lot of people anyway so you obviously don't suck.
Admitting that you suck is not the problem; it is when you think that you will never be good, despite your best efforts, that you are assuring yourself of mediocrity.
I think you're caught up in the P5's ranking mindset, where you are only as good as your ranking. As Sklansky says in Theory of Poker, the objective is to make money. If you are succeeding in that objective, all of the glory will follow.

"Admitting that you suck is not the problem; it is when you think that you will never be good, despite your best efforts, that you are assuring yourself of mediocrity."Very nice.I know I have leaks, everyone has leaks, but I'm working to rectify them and improve as a player and I'm confident I will become a successful player given time and effort.