Poker Is Just A Game

Anyone here feels here that poker is just a game and we should go to our weekly home game and play for fun.no game plans and special strategics, we just play for fun! if we win .. we win . if not .. so be it. but we understand that its just a game and dont put too much into it. it should be like that for those of us who are not pros, do you agree with me? if we feel like that its no different then going to play ball or something for fun, and then the competitive side of us comes into play like other games.someone here feels like me ??

Anyone here feels here that poker is just a game and we should go to our weekly home game and play for fun.no game plans and special strategics, we just play for fun! if we win .. we win . if not .. so be it. but we understand that its just a game and dont put too much into it. it should be like that for those of us who are not pros, do you agree with me? if we feel like that its no different then going to play ball or something for fun, and then the competitive side of us comes into play like other games.someone here feels like me ??
Well for me, taking a "game" seriously is half the fun. Ever played in a ball game where no one cares and is just messing around? I mean that can be fun too, but I find serious competition much more enjoyable.
I feel like shit right now, does that count?

No. I mean yes...it is a game, but it's not "just" a game.But I don't feel that way about ANY game. Risk for example requires much thought and deliberation. Alliances must be thought through carefully, and betrayed ruthlessly when necessary. Backgammon should be played without compassion. The doubling cube should be used to induce mistakes from your opponent. Monopoly is a game of negotiating edges. Compromise is weakness. If you're not playing to win, why bother playing? Have a movie night, or just hang out. For me, if I'm playing, I'm playing to win.

The problem is, when you play poker 'just for fun' you lose money(because the funnest way to play is not generally a winning strategy) and thus it becomes not fun.

I know where the OP is coming from and playing poker where the money doesn't matter is a lot of fun.I've played a few times in a house game with mostly 35-45 year old business types and it's been a lot of fun playing some $20 freezeouts with people who don't take poker seriously and where if you win or lose $100 the money has no meaning. It's less than anybody playing would pay for a round of golf or a dinner out. Also in these games is a friend of mine who beats up to 25/50 NL online and they feel the same way as I do about these house games.Edit: it's not that people aren't trying to win it's just that the amount of money involved doesn't either hurt if you lose or make a difference if you win.

What's the point of playing if you don't care if you win or lose?? The point of the game is to WIN money. Do you play basketball just to see who can hit the rim the most? No. The point of the game is to score more than you're opponent, so you try to make the most baskets. Did any of that rambling make any sense?

I've never met anyone that has fun losing.
I'd make a sports related joke about some teams but I'm still crying over the Super Bowl.
What's the point of playing if you don't care if you win or lose?? The point of the game is to WIN money. Do you play basketball just to see who can hit the rim the most? No. The point of the game is to score more than you're opponent, so you try to make the most baskets. Did any of that rambling make any sense?
It's not always about the money. It's about the company you're keeping and the competition without the money hurting.A good comparison is the hockey pool that Daniel and I are involved in. The most somebody can lose on the year is about $200 and the most that anybody will win is around $900-$1000. We all care way more about this pool than the money involved. Daniel is also involved in a football pool where the amount of money involved is much much larger and does matter. If you asked him he would much rather win the hockey pool than the football pool.
It's not always about the money. It's about the company you're keeping and the competition without the money hurting.A good comparison is the hockey pool that Daniel and I are involved in. The most somebody can lose on the year is about $200 and the most that anybody will win is around $900-$1000. We all care way more about this pool than the money involved. Daniel is also involved in a football pool where the amount of money involved is much much larger and does matter. If you asked him he would much rather win the hockey pool than the football pool.
I guess it depends on what atmosphere you're playing in. Of course if you're just playing with buddies for a few bucks...that's a given, but I got from the OP that if you're not a pro you should just have a 'have fun with it' approach to it, and that I totally disagree with.
Of course to you, winning the money is all that matters. Surprising.
I can see what you're saying, but it's not always about the money. Take the 4.40 challenge - the money involved in it is irrelevant to myself and a number of the other guys involved, but I still enjoy it and would like to win (or at least do repectably well unlike last month). But if I was just playing 4.40s outside of the challenge, I would find them very boring.

some of you here got me all wrong.i meant that when i play i am competitive and try my hardest to win, my point is that we should not put to much into game plans and things like. i mean for us that play in our weekly home games. of course i try to win because i am a competitive person in anything that you can try and beat. but sometimes we think about game plans and things like that , and we forget that its just a game. and of course i care about the money, i mean its money after all. but we should not let that get to us and bother us when we are not during a game. everything i say is what i feel is right : that we should not let poker take over what we do and not think about hands that we miss played 24/7 and we need to remember that its just a game! that where my thoughts are coming from.

I've never met anyone that has fun losing.
I have.Well, sort of, I know some people who say they play stuff (Madden and things like that) for fun and they don't care whether they win or lose. I've never been able to understand that sentiment though. If something's a competitive endeavor, it's never fun to lose. Whether there's a lot of money on the line, very little, or none.
You stink...Keep playing and please deposit online since I prob wont be invited to your home game...Ty.
You stink...Keep playing and please deposit online since I prob wont be invited to your home game...Ty.
lol u didnt understand what i was saying. but i dont deposit online but youcould be invited to my home game. if you wanna catch a plain to Israel .. you are wellcom.