Sit N Go Strategy

trying to improve my sit n go strategy for O/8. I have been playing tight until the blinds get to 50-100 and then become more aggressive with A-low suited...pushing if flop is good, letting go if othewise. While this gets me to the final 5, it is here where I lack the knowledge to win. I make the money 60% of the time I am in the final 5...but more often then not I get 3rd rather than first. Any and all suggestions welcome.

As I am sure you are aware, the optimal strategy for SNG's (regardless of the game), is to play for third place, and go from there. Howard Lederer has a good article (from Full Tilt tips - not on his website), which discusses the how's (tight early, fast late) and why's - which you allude to in your OP that you are following, which is good. However, your late strategy leaves much to the imagination, and while I agree it would be near impossible to describe each and every situation as to what you are doing, it appears that you need to also include high only hands in your aggressive "late" strategy. I myself learned this a while ago to my benefit from these very forums - (check the older posts as they are a wealth of information), as I had similar experiences back in the day where I thought I was playing optimally in the late stages, but in fact was actually too tight (due to not getting involved with the high only hands).Excellent reference material would be to look up posts from guys like JackKingOffsuit or CheckyMcFold (but don't say I sent ya...)

Oh yeah thats me...only if heads up with short stack have I been playing high cards i.e. QQJ9. KQJx, 10-10JK, otherwise been folding, only playing hands that have low and scoop potential, unless I am in a blind stealing situation. Should I be calling raises with these type of hands or raising with the fold equity, when down to 5 or less stacks being somewhat equal?

i'de be wary of high only cards in short stack situations unless you have good fold equity. kkqqds is a slight dog to a random hand. the place to loosen up imo is with hands like a4kj.

I do well in the SNG's on AP and I don't really push anything or play extra tight preflop. I find most of the players make so many mistakes post flop (such as overvaluing lo only hands or made hi hands that are dogs percentage wise) that if you just take off flops with good starting cards early you can build a significant stack which gives me more room for play in the later stages ( I like the tight early aggressive later strategy for NLH SNG's just not so much in the O8's)

I do well in the SNG's on AP and I don't really push anything or play extra tight preflop. I find most of the players make so many mistakes post flop (such as overvaluing lo only hands or made hi hands that are dogs percentage wise) that if you just take off flops with good starting cards early you can build a significant stack which gives me more room for play in the later stages ( I like the tight early aggressive later strategy for NLH SNG's just not so much in the O8's)
i would think that in most games playing a very preflop pushy strategy would be great. most players will play way too tight against you when they should be calling very loose.for a discussion on this sort of thing check out a thread on 2+2 called something like omaha8 what sperates the men from the boys. look for posts relating to and critisiing the way predator06 plays nl08.
i would think that in most games playing a very preflop pushy strategy would be great. most players will play way too tight against you when they should be calling very loose.for a discussion on this sort of thing check out a thread on 2+2 called something like omaha8 what sperates the men from the boys. look for posts relating to and critisiing the way predator06 plays nl08.
disregard I found it http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=72169I hate 2+2 searches couldn't find said thread. Can you provide link? I'm not saying being aggresive preflop is wrong. I was just stating I think playing too tight early in the SNG's can cause you to miss out on a lot of free chips :club:

Been perusing my old posts from back in the day, and found quite possibly the single greatest post about SNG's pertaining to PLO8 in the history of mankind. I'm not very tech-savvy, so I don't know how to show a link to the article, but suggest that everyone, and I do mean everyone, do a search for one of my old posts called "The Typical Bubble Hand" from the tournament forum. It will change your life (and improve your SNG results)...You can all thank me later... :club:

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...cal+Bubble+Handsaid link :icon_cool:Also provide link to Card Player article involving one way high hands vs. random lo hands. Some of this has been stated b4, but the article is a good refresher at the leasthttp://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/12818 P.S. got link from a JK offsuit post in that thread ^_^and I'll just thank you now for pointing me in that direction Rocket :club:

What level buy in SNG is this? Which site? Turbo or normal speed? Throw us a bone here. :club:

If you are a big stack do try to take a short stack's blinds. One of the best situations for a non-small stack on the bubble is when there are two short stacks each trying to out last the other. If they will let you, you can steal either of their blinds with any four cards all the way down until the blinds put them all in.Be more careful against another big stack. Last night I had only about 1000 left four handed and the blinds were going to force me in somewhere in the next few hands. Someone with ~3000 raised the big blind of a player with slightly more than 3000. On the flop the big blind put the preflop raiser all in, and he called with draw, which didn't come, and just like that I was in the money.

• 4 weeks later...
If you are a big stack do try to take a short stack's blinds. One of the best situations for a non-small stack on the bubble is when there are two short stacks each trying to out last the other. If they will let you, you can steal either of their blinds with any four cards all the way down until the blinds put them all in.Be more careful against another big stack. Last night I had only about 1000 left four handed and the blinds were going to force me in somewhere in the next few hands. Someone with ~3000 raised the big blind of a player with slightly more than 3000. On the flop the big blind put the preflop raiser all in, and he called with draw, which didn't come, and just like that I was in the money.
The difference in tourney omaha strategy and cash game omaha strategy is that you can't see the flop (generally) before you decide to go with a hand. If you have a shortstack and a hand like AAxx you're obviously going to raise and push any flop (depending on exact stack size, flop, etc). However, less obvious hands like AKWx become hands I'm willing to commit myself with from late position. Last night I was in a 55$ PLO8 SNG on FTP with Scott Clements and he stacked off with like 6 or 7 BBs from the button with AQ94ds. Hands that play multiway become much stronger... AKKx, KK with a couple of wheel cards.. any AK or AQ with a couple of cards 6 or under, etc.When you get a hand like this that is fairly strong multi way, just pot it preflop if that is going to commit your stack.Also remember that nothing is that far behind, and there are often no antes in omaha tournaments, so dont be worried if you get shortstacked and can't find any easy places to get your money in. So often in Omaha MTTs I see people going crazy around the 10 BB level that you see play open up in NLHE MTTs, but without antes, at a full table, you have plenty of time with a stack like that.