Chrozzo's Beer Of The Day

Day 0:(yes, i say day 0 because this is a beer ive wanted to try for a loooooooooooong time!)Sam Adams UTOPIA!!!!!!! (Boston, MA)Alcohol Content: 29%Chrozzo's Rating: 10/10!!Chrosso's Notes: Just wow! This was really a beer?! I was at my pub after work tonight, as usual. I go back to the brewery, bc i knew my friends were brewing (always on mon and thurs). Was a birthday bash going on and were 3 BDs today with my buds....some guys from ABC (Appalachian Brewing Company) were there, vn guys. I had brought my own Skullsplitter from the bar, but they have many new things to try from all over Europe.This one guy pulled out from his backpack a bottle of Utopia...brand new and sealed. They sell it at 10 yrs old and he bought it 2 yrs ago! He paid $285 for it! 32 oz bottle and he started pouring out bits to those who wante to try it (about 8 of us or so). This complete stranger, but we had been talking a bit...gave me a bit over an ounce! I was ecstatic....he said he wante to share it with those who would enjoy it. It was awesome! Very sweet smell....very close to what ive heard...a cognac, semi close to the taste of Southern Comfort...but a beer!amazing4338912812389778.jpgsamadams_utopiasmm.jpgexpensive+beer.jpeg

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi.   I thought of you when I took this photo.  

Warming up for for the NegO with the biggest Mexican beer out there,Pale colour, Not much head, no real nose, not a hop anywhere, very light, watery flavour, really need the lime.4.5%ABV

2 things. Chrozzo, as far as I am concerned, you started this craft beer craze for me. And 2. SuitedAces21 i hate Kansas.

Day 0:(yes, i say day 0 because this is a beer ive wanted to try for a loooooooooooong time!)Sam Adams UTOPIA!!!!!!! (Boston, MA)Alcohol Content: 29%Chrozzo's Rating: 10/10!!Chrosso's Notes: Just wow! This was really a beer?! I was at my pub after work tonight, as usual. I go back to the brewery, bc i knew my friends were brewing (always on mon and thurs). Was a birthday bash going on and were 3 BDs today with my buds....some guys from ABC (Appalachian Brewing Company) were there, vn guys. I had brought my own Skullsplitter from the bar, but they have many new things to try from all over Europe.This one guy pulled out from his backpack a bottle of Utopia...brand new and sealed. They sell it at 10 yrs old and he bought it 2 yrs ago! He paid $285 for it! 32 oz bottle and he started pouring out bits to those who wante to try it (about 8 of us or so). This complete stranger, but we had been talking a bit...gave me a bit over an ounce! I was ecstatic....he said he wante to share it with those who would enjoy it. It was awesome! Very sweet smell....very close to what ive heard...a cognac, semi close to the taste of Southern Comfort...but a beer!amazing4338912812389778.jpgsamadams_utopiasmm.jpgexpensive%20beer.jpeg
Your advice is gold but I dont see myself trying this one anytime soon.

Hey Chris,As some might know, from time to time, I enjoy partaking in the drinking of spirited beverages, namely beer. I've never really been a connoisseur, by any means, though. I've been living in Ottawa since August now, and just figured out this place is like 2 or 3 blocks from my apartment. I think, from this thread, our personal tastes differ quite a bit, but I was wondering what you thought of this beer menu:http://www.vineyards.ca/promo/vineyards_beer.pdfFor comparison, the beers I'm into the most right now are almost entirely lighter-coloured, crisp beers, like Stella, XX, Moosehead, etc, but my current favorite is Rickards White, which opened my eyes to the world of wheat beers. I've had a few of the darker beers, but for lots of them, don't care much for the nuttier tastes, and although I can't confirm if its the hops that I don't like, I think the ones I've disliked the most were those rich in hops. I'd need to compare a hop-rich beer to one with just a subtle hint of them to be sure, though, as I've never really bothered to do that.Anyways, let me know what you think of that menu, and if there are any there I should try. I'm thinking of making it a weekly thing and trying to strike them all off the list, or something.Cheers.- ZachEDIT - Just realized they have a separate menu for Belgian beers. http://www.vineyards.ca/promo/belgian-beer.pdf

Hey Chris,As some might know, from time to time, I enjoy partaking in the drinking of spirited beverages, namely beer. I've never really been a connoisseur, by any means, though. I've been living in Ottawa since August now, and just figured out this place is like 2 or 3 blocks from my apartment. I think, from this thread, our personal tastes differ quite a bit, but I was wondering what you thought of this beer menu:http://www.vineyards.ca/promo/vineyards_beer.pdfFor comparison, the beers I'm into the most right now are almost entirely lighter-coloured, crisp beers, like Stella, XX, Moosehead, etc, but my current favorite is Rickards White, which opened my eyes to the world of wheat beers. I've had a few of the darker beers, but for lots of them, don't care much for the nuttier tastes, and although I can't confirm if its the hops that I don't like, I think the ones I've disliked the most were those rich in hops. I'd need to compare a hop-rich beer to one with just a subtle hint of them to be sure, though, as I've never really bothered to do that.Anyways, let me know what you think of that menu, and if there are any there I should try. I'm thinking of making it a weekly thing and trying to strike them all off the list, or something.Cheers.- ZachEDIT - Just realized they have a separate menu for Belgian beers. http://www.vineyards.ca/promo/belgian-beer.pdf
Well, obv try McEwans, in my top 3! Also Boddingtons, Hacker Schorr Hefe, Kilkenny, Leffe Brune, Old Speckled Hen, Le Fin du Monde.From the Belgian list i bet most are pretty good. The ones ive had are Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel, St. Bernards Tripel, Stella, Orval, Leffe, Duvel, Chimay and Affligem. The Doubles and Triples are well worth it.

Finally tried Guiness tonight.Odd, because I've tried so many really nice beers over the past two months or so, and never had the Guiness.It wasn't bad, but I wish the alc content was higher. Very drinkable though.I had Boddingtons a couple weeks ago, but I was pretty wasted by that point, so I can't remember a ton, but it's one of my friend's favorites, and I know I was like, yeah, that's pretty good, but I dunno if I'd have said anything was terrible at that point.But man....I tried this one called Dark Lord, and apparently it's from a brewery around here in Munster, IN.... It's a chocolate imperial stout, and it's like drinking cold hot chocolate, so freaking sweet. I can't imagine getting through even a full bottle. But apparently they only sell it at certain times during brewery tours, and you can't get it anywhere else. But it was crazy. Oh, also I was told it's 11%, but the website says 13% I think.

• 1 month later...
Day 1347:Unibroue Brewery: TerribleChambly, CanadaP7040015.JPGChrozzo's Notes: WOW..
I love Terrible. I have been getting it for a few years now. I am glad they produce it regularly now. Unibroue also makes the Trader Joes Anniversary Ales, which are a great deal at around 4.99 per big bottle. Unibrew makes many excellent brews. The Don de Dieu is Unibroue's Belgian style triple wheat Ale. The Don de Dieu is superb for the summer and it has 9% alc, it has won massive awards, and is highly rated/regarded. here; http://www.unibroue.com/products/dondedieu.cfm
  • 1 month later...

I have others to mention, but I got a special one tonight...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/50752Old Rasputin Imperial Stout - XII Anniversary edition.11.2% ABV, Bourbon Barrel Aged.It was $23 for 500ml. So insanely flavorful though. Those Bourbon barrels make such a difference. Sweeter, bourboney, chocolately.

I have others to mention, but I got a special one tonight...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/50752Old Rasputin Imperial Stout - XII Anniversary edition.11.2% ABV, Bourbon Barrel Aged.It was $23 for 500ml. So insanely flavorful though. Those Bourbon barrels make such a difference. Sweeter, bourboney, chocolately.
i knew there was a reasdon i liked you!

sounds awesome similar to that beer I was talking about from Labatts the one they came out at christmas time with and the only beer I ever like from them. Will have to look for it next time I am in the Statesinteresting link for you chrozzohttp://www.brewers.ca/default_e.asphttp://www.ambev.com.br/eng/index_en.phphttp://labatt.com/english/lbc_brands/lbc_main.htm#

sounds awesome similar to that beer I was talking about from Labatts the one they came out at christmas time with and the only beer I ever like from them. Will have to look for it next time I am in the States
Winter Ale's are nice.
whoa dude, you review unibroue and don't do maudite? whatareyoucrazy?
yes, Maudite is the O.G. but let's be honest the Don De Dieu and La Fin Du Monde are there best....and yes, I know they sold their souls to get home for Christmas.....
Don't know if it's a geographic option for you, but I highly recommend a beer float.http://www.laweekly.com/2009-05-14/eat-dri...-all-hopped-up/

Obama - Bud LightGates - Red StripeCrowley - Blue MoonI mean seriously people. You have a once in a lifetime opportunity to go drink beers at the white house with the President of the United states and these are your choices?

Obama - Bud LightGates - Red StripeCrowley - Blue MoonI mean seriously people. You have a once in a lifetime opportunity to go drink beers at the white house with the President of the United states and these are your choices?
puts my mind at ease that this is a White House priority.and btw... is it racist to call it the White House?
i agree...first i heard of this (was at work all night)bud light - do i need to explain?red stripe - SUCKS!..unless you grew up with it in Jamaica...is Gates Jamaican?Blue Moon - made by Coors...need i say more?
puts my mind at ease that this is a White House priority.and btw... is it racist to call it the White House?
good point.

Got 3 new arrivals from Binny's today.1. Dogfish Head Theobroma2. Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu3. Lost Abbey 10 CommandmentsSo far I've only tried the first 2.The Theobroma is tasty and interesting. It's infused with chiles. Which you don't notice at first, but then about 10 seconds after you drink, you feel a little burn in your throat. But overall, the beer is super solid and goes down smooth, with a lot of depth.The Chateau is similar with the depth, but no burn, and extra tasty. I suck at pulling flavors out of stuff, but man, there are a lot of flavors in this beer. Honey for sure, a little cocoa, man.. I'm just gonna post the beer advocate ratings for you. I really like both, but this one is super good.Can't wait to try the 10 Commandments, but it might wait till tomorrow.Edit: I reread my post.... but wow, do I sound super gay or what?

i agree...first i heard of this (was at work all night)bud light - do i need to explain?red stripe - SUCKS!..unless you grew up with it in Jamaica...is Gates Jamaican?Blue Moon - usually served with an orange...need i say more?good point.
FYP