• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping the Vikings get a good QB or a big play WR (like DeSean Jackson) in the first round. Though Fred Davis from USC went to my high school, so that wouldn't be bad either. He's a beast at the TE position.

As much fun as it is to hate on Flushgarden some more, the Super Bowl is over and it is time to think about next year. What is your top ten? Your first round mock? Trade rumors? Trade scenarios? It is time to slick back our hair like Mel Kiper and talk some draft.My top ten:1. Miami----Glenn Dorsey DT. They have no one at DT. Dorsey is an awesome DT. Even the Fins cant screw this up. If they love Sedrick Ellis (who had a great Senior Bowl apparently) they might take him especially if they think he fits a 3-4 scheme better.2. St. Louis---Jake Long OT. Pace has been hurt and is old. O-line is important to a team with so much offensive firepower. 3. Atlanta Falcons---Matt Ryan QB. Thank you M. Vick. Personally I like Brian Brohm but maybe Atlanta shies away from any Louisville products.4. Oakland Raiders---Darren McFadden RB. This is a great spot for the Cowboys to trade up. I think it would take Barber, the 22nd pick and the 29th pick. In return, the Cowboys get the 4th pick and the Raiders 3rd round pick. That would be an offer i would take if I was Al Davis. You get an RB to put in for unreliable lamont jordan to help out JaMarcus Russell and you get three picks between 22 and 35 where you can add a bunch of talent.5. KC Chiefs---Chris Long DE. You pair him with Jared Allen and your pass rush is set for a decade. Ask the giants how important being able to rush the passer with 4 is. They should also seriously consider taking a QB. Croyle sucks. Trading down would be a good option too.6. NYJ---Vernon Gholston DE. Jets should try to trade up and get Chris Long. If not Gholston would be an awesome OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Merriman like potential as an edge rusher.7. NE----Aqib Talib CB. I am assuming Asante Samuel leaves. Therefore, the Pats go with a CB. Mike Jenkins from So. Fla is a possibility too.8. Ravens---Brian Brohm QB. They need a QB desperately. Troy Smith will make a good backup. Get rid of McNair and Boller.9. Bengals---Sedrick Ellis DT. They need line help, Ellis is a good DT. easy.10. Saints---Kenny Phillips S. Another team that needs to go defense. Their secondary stinks. Phillips is going to be a star and premier safeties affect games.
The Cowboys should trade up with the fins and take Glenn Dorsey. They are in desperate need of Defensive help... their defense is terrible. I think it would be awful if they traded up and wasted the pick on more offense.
that would be fantastic. as a dolphins fan I can only be skeptical that my team will do something that smart/far-sighted. honestly, I could live with dorsey though. DT is as good a place to start rebuilding as any and he is worthy of top pick money.
Hopefully he'll be as good as Courtney Brown.
The Cowboys should trade up with the fins and take Glenn Dorsey. They are in desperate help of Defensive help... their defense is terrible. I think it would be awful if they traded up and wasted the pick on more offense.
No, that is the last thing we need. We don't have that much cap room, we need to lock-up Ware, Canty and Barber to long-term deals and Hamlin might want a big raise. We don't need to trade into the top 5 for ANYBODY. I do agree we need help on the defensive side of the ball, but we need a SS and CBs. I actually think we should go back to a 4-3. Can you imagine Ware and Spencer at DE?
We don't really need Spears as we have Ratliff, Hatcher, Canty (who needs to be resigned) and Tank who could rotate NT/DE like Ratliff if we keep Ferguson. You need to remember that TO is getting old, 34 I think, and Glenn probably won't be back. I am definitely not comfortable with Crayton and Hurd, we need a good WR. Roy Williams from Detroit is another possibility, though I worry about his durability. As far as the defense goes, we only really need 2 CBs and possibly a FS if Hamlin leaves, but Tank Williams is available.
No, that is the last thing we need. We don't have that much cap room, we need to lock-up Ware, Canty and Barber to long-term deals and Hamlin might want a big raise. We don't need to trade into the top 5 for ANYBODY. I do agree we need help on the defensive side of the ball, but we need a SS and CBs. I actually think we should go back to a 4-3. Can you imagine Ware and Spencer at DE?
Chris Long is the best player in this draft.
I am hearing this a lot. If he can play in a 3-4 scheme I would not be surprised if the Dolphins considered him too. Honestly, I think you can make a good case for the fins to take Dorsey, Ellis, Jake Long or Chris Long. Thats the four legit guys in my mind.
Steelers need OL now and DL depth to move in a starting role the next 1-2 years.
I'd think they could also use another really good WR, or do you think Holmes is going to end up being a solid #1 receiver?
I'd think they could also use another really good WR, or do you think Holmes is going to end up being a solid #1 receiver?
I think Holmes will be a solid #1. He showed that this year before his ankle injury slowed him down. We do need another solid #2-3 receiver, but the OL and DL is more important this year, with OL being the #1 issue by far.
Miami's trading that one pick. If for some reason they don't, they will pick Dorsey. Your draft looks pretty good, I don't like the Falcons picking Ryan 3rd. Maybe try to ship that pick to the Eagles for McNabb or get another free agent QB, and spend that pick on defense.
Being a Falcons fan...unfortunatlly we are most likely going to draft Matt Ryan. I would much rather us get someone in FA, I don't like any of the possible 1st round QB's for starters this year(especially Brian Brohm so don't go there). But I would be very suprised if we didn't draft Ryan. Hopefully he pans out for us though....And as far as the #1 pick....Miami would ship it off in a heartbeat, but there will be no takers. No prime time star player in this draft(except maybe McFadden) worth moving up for. So as much as Miami would like a trade here, it's just not gonna happen.
Being a Falcons fan...unfortunatlly we are most likely going to draft Matt Ryan. I would much rather us get someone in FA, I don't like any of the possible 1st round QB's for starters this year(especially Brian Brohm so don't go there). But I would be very suprised if we didn't draft Ryan. Hopefully he pans out for us though....And as far as the #1 pick....Miami would ship it off in a heartbeat, but there will be no takers. No prime time star player in this draft(except maybe McFadden) worth moving up for. So as much as Miami would like a trade here, it's just not gonna happen.
yeah, ATL fans might not like taking Ryan 3rd but that is pretty much a guarantee at this point. they need a QB, he is the consensus best QB in this draft and has the pedigree to justify taking him so high.I have maintained all along that the FINS would trade the top pick in a second BUT will not be able to for fair value.
  • 2 months later...

The draft is coming up real soon. So I decided to bump this one up. Gonna post a mock draft. Hopefully, I can generate some discussion here.I'll also post draft gossip and news in this thread to keep it alive.Keep in mind that mocks aren't the be all/end all. I just believe that this is a scenario that can arise more so than what I believe the best picks should be.1. Miami Dolphins - Jake Long, OT, Michigan2. St. Louis Rams - Chris Long, DE, Virginia3. Atlanta Falcons - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU4. Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas5. Kansas City Chiefs - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC6. New York Jets - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State7. New England Patriots - Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy8. Baltimore Ravens - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College9. Cincinnati Bengals - Keith Rivers, OLB, USC10. New Orleans Saints - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tenn. St.11. Buffalo Bills - Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State12. Denver Broncos - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State13. Carolina Panthers - Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt14. Chicago Bears - Branden Albert, OG, Virginia15. Detroit Lions - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois16. Arizona Cardinals - Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida17. Minnesota Vikings - Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida18. Houston Texans - Jeffrey Otah, OT, Pittsburgh19. Philadelphia Eagles - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DeSean Jackson, WR, California21. Washington Redskins - Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson22. Dallas Cowboys - Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn24. Tennessee Titans - James Hardy, WR, Indiana25. Seattle Seahawks - Kentwan Balmer, DT, UNC26. Jacksonville Jaguars - Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC27. San Diego Chargers - Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College28. Dallas Cowboys - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona29. San Francisco 49ers - Sam Baker, OT, USC30. Green Bay Packers - Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (FL)31. New York Giants - Dan Connor, LB, Penn State

I like the idea of the Raiders getting McFadden to platoon him with Fargas. I wouldn't mind any of the other guys you have in the top 3 either. Secretly I'm rooting for them to get Chris Long just because of his dad.

The draft is coming up real soon. So I decided to bump this one up. Gonna post a mock draft. Hopefully, I can generate some discussion here.I'll also post draft gossip and news in this thread to keep it alive.Keep in mind that mocks aren't the be all/end all. I just believe that this is a scenario that can arise more so than what I believe the best picks should be.1. Miami Dolphins - Jake Long, OT, Michigan2. St. Louis Rams - Chris Long, DE, Virginia3. Atlanta Falcons - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU4. Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas5. Kansas City Chiefs - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC6. New York Jets - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State7. New England Patriots - Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy8. Baltimore Ravens - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College9. Cincinnati Bengals - Keith Rivers, OLB, USC10. New Orleans Saints - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tenn. St.11. Buffalo Bills - Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State12. Denver Broncos - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State13. Carolina Panthers - Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt14. Chicago Bears - Branden Albert, OG, Virginia15. Detroit Lions - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois16. Arizona Cardinals - Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida17. Minnesota Vikings - Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida18. Houston Texans - Jeffrey Otah, OT, Pittsburgh19. Philadelphia Eagles - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DeSean Jackson, WR, California21. Washington Redskins - Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson22. Dallas Cowboys - Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn24. Tennessee Titans - James Hardy, WR, Indiana25. Seattle Seahawks - Kentwan Balmer, DT, UNC26. Jacksonville Jaguars - Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC27. San Diego Chargers - Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College28. Dallas Cowboys - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona29. San Francisco 49ers - Sam Baker, OT, USC30. Green Bay Packers - Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (FL)31. New York Giants - Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
At least you have Devin Thomas as the first WR taken, like he should be.I don't think Gholston will last until #6 personally, but there are a lot of different things that can happen in the top 6 depending on who Miami takes.I don't know how Oakland can pass up on him if the first 3 picks go the way you have them laid out, but it is Al Davis and you never know what the Crypt Keeper will do.
If the Cowboys take ANY offensive players in the first round, I'm going to cry.
if the cowboys really want a corner they should consider taking a chance on Aqib Talib in the late 1st round. guy is a top 15 talent with a slight marijuana problem.
if the cowboys really want a corner they should consider taking a chance on Aqib Talib in the late 1st round. guy is a top 15 talent with a slight marijuana problem.
The Cowboys have absolutely no problem with drugs. (this sentence should not be confused with the closely related sentence --- "No Cowboys have any drug problems")
The last magazine I bought (printed after the combine and a few pro days) has the Cowboys taking CB Leodis McKelvin out of Troy. I'm sure I spelled his name wrong, but I don't care.

This will almost certainly be final mock until the draft next weekend.1. Miami Dolphins - Jake Long, OT, MichiganWhen talking about the team's starters, Tony Sparano was able to mention one for every position but right tackle, leaving Jake Long as a major possibility. Furthermore, the Dolphins have already entered contract negotiations with Long. Granted, they'll likely do the same with Chris Long and Vernon Gholston, but the fact that they picked Long first could show a higher interest in him.2. St. Louis Rams - Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana StateThis pick depends on what the Rams plan to do with Adam Carriker. Adam was injured last season and dropped to 270 pounds, way too small for a defensive tackle. If they decide to keep him at his current weight, they'll move him to DE and select Dorsey. If they want him to gain back the weight, then they do that and draft Chris Long. I think out of the two, Dorsey is the better player. Scouts believe that Dorsey is capable of 8-10 sacks per season as a 4-3 defensive tackle. To me, it's about 50/50 between the two.3. Atlanta Falcons - Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern CalforniaThe Falcons have many needs and many draft picks. Defensive tackle is certainly one of the biggest and Sedrick Ellis is the BPA for the Falcons.The Falcons will not select Matt Ryan. Many signs and articles point to them drafting one in the second round.4. Oakland Raiders - Chris Long, DE, VirginiaAl Davis might want McFadden a lot. But Davis might get a bit nostalgic and pick Howie's son with this pick. Chris Long is an intense, relentless player with great character. The defensive line for Oakland is very shaky and Long is capable of playing a variety of positions in the NFL. Long is definitely the pick here.5. Kansas City Chiefs - Branden Albert, OG, VirginiaThe Chiefs have several players in mind for this pick: Long, Dorsey, Ryan Clady, Ellis and Albert. Three of those five are gone so it's down to Albert and Clady for this pick. It is said that the Chiefs are just super-high on Albert. His versatility could allow him to play any position on the offensive line and with the Chiefs needing the help everywhere, Albert could be a big boost.6. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, ArkansasThe Jets need an offensive sparkplug on their team. They lack that one big time playmaker that can be threat to score anywhere on the field. The Jets have never been great with picking running backs (Blair Thomas, Roger Vick). But they will make the right pick this time. With the signing of Calvin Pace, Gholston is definitely second on their list.7. New England Patriots - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio StateThe Patriots need help at cornerback and the linebacker positions. Gholston is athletic, workout warrior who could serve as an almost Shawne Merriman or DeMarcus Ware type of presence in New England. This pick could be very tradeable if Ellis is still available at this point. The Patriots don't want to pay a ridiculous sum of money for an unproven rookie.8. Baltimore Ravens - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston CollegeThe no-brainer pick for the Ravens. McNair has retired and the Kyle Boller era is over with the firing of Brian Billick. Change is needed on this offense and Matt Ryan will bring it.9. Cincinnati Bengals - Keith Rivers, OLB, Southern CaliforniaI can't name a single decent linebacker on the Bengals. Rivers is a great fit for a very weak linebacking core. The Bengals really need some help on their front seven and Rivers is best defensive player available at this pick.10. New Orleans Saints - Leodis McKelvin, CB, TroyWith Keith Rivers unavailable, the Saints have to address the cornerback position. They've tied a bunch of money at that position, but they still fail miserably in that area. McKelvin is the most complete package at this position. He can play man, cover and return punts to boot. This is the right spot for him assuming the Saints don't trade up.11. Buffalo Bills - Derrick Harvey, DE, FloridaHarvey was extremely productive in his final 2 years at Florida, registering 19.5 sacks and 31.0 TFL. He is a pass rusher with a quick first step and does a great job in pursuit in the backfield.Ideally, I believe the Bills would like to trade out of the #11 spot and pick a receiver later on since that is a much bigger need than defensive end.12. Denver Broncos - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise StateClady is a very intelligent offensive tackle that would fit in the Broncos zone blocking system. I don't see how they pass on an offensive lineman at this spot.13. Carolina Panthers - Chris Williams, OT, VanderbiltAlthough the Panthers believe DeAngelo Williams cannot carry the whole load, they'll be satisfied with LaBrandon Toefield if Chris Williams is available at #13. The Panthers need help along their offensive line and thus make the right pick here.14. Chicago Bears - Jeff Otah, OT, PittsburghTurns out that Otah was participating injured at the Combine. So, he has crept up draft boards as of late and is high enough for the Bears to select him here.15. Detroit Lions - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, IllinoisThere is simply no way Mendenhall will get past the Lions. T.J. Duckett is gone and Kevin Jones is an injury-prone, underachiever. The Lions are under an offense that won't throw the balls 50 times a game. Mendenhall is a stud and provides good balance for them.16. Arizona Cardinals - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee StateWith Antrel Rolle now moving to safety, cornerback is by far the biggest need for the Cardinals. DRC is an extremely athletic corner with a massive upside. People made the mistake of passing on his cousin Antonio because he was too raw. They won't do the same for DRC.17. Minnesota Vikings - Mike Jenkins, CB, South FloridaCornerback isn't the Vikings biggest need, but they won't reach for a defensive end at #17 if Harvey is gone. They're either going to draft CB, WR or trade out in this spot and CB is the best way to go, especially when your pass defense is ranked 28th in the NFL.18. Houston Texans - Jonathan Stewart, RB, OregonThe Texans would prefer to get Jeff Otah or Mike Jenkins at this point. But running back has been their missing piece and Stewart has crept back up draft boards after successful toe surgery last month. A trade is a possibility if the Texans are more interested in addressing CB or OT.19. Philadelphia Eagles - Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan StateMcNabb was hurt because of a weak offensive line and a complete lack of decent wide receivers on his teams. All of the offensive linemen worthy of this pick are gone. So, that leaves the Eagles Devin Thomas. He is so far only a one-year wonder. But he has the potential to do so much more in the NFL with McNabb at the helm.20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Limas Sweed, WR, TexasIf not for his wrist, Sweed may very well have been the best wide receiver in this draft. He has great hands, size and is very fast for his frame. He's physical enough to beat aggressive corners and fast enough to beat cover corners.21. Washington Redskins - Phillip Merling, DE, ClemsonThe Redskins have been in need of defensive line help for a long time now. Merling may not be the pass rushing threat Derrick Harvey is, but he's a very versatile end who will contribute for the Redksins.22. Dallas Cowboys - Felix Jones, RB, ArkansasIn my opinion, Felix Jones is completely undeserving of a first round pick. He gainedmost of his yardage off of odd formations and trick plays. Because everybody focused on McFadden, Jones picked up some solid yardage along the way. But Jerry Jones, an Arkansas alum, seems to really like this guy. I don't know why he would want another Julius Jones, but then again I don't own the Cowboys.23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston CollegeCherilus is a bit of a reach at 23, but he is still a first round worthy selection. Roethlisberger received a beating from offensive linemen and the loss of Alan Faneca magnifies any need for offensive line help.24. Tennessee Titans - James Hardy, WR, IndianaHardy reminds me a lot of Plaxico Burress. Okay speed for his size, but he is a physical receiver with great hands. He's a huge target for the rather inconsistent Vince Young.25. Seattle Seahawks - Kentwan Balmer, DT, UNCThe no-brainer pick for the Seahawks. He certainly has to be the highest on the Seahawks value chart given the previous picks and addresses a significant need that the team has.26. Jacksonville Jaguars - Quentin Groves, LB, AuburnThe Jaguars need to apply pressure to the quarterback. They lost some key players on the defensive line, but any pick at that point is a reach. Groves is a highly athletic, pass-rushing linebacker who will pose a great threat on passing downs.27. San Diego Chargers - Aqib Talib, CB, KansasThe Chargers took a chance on a raw, athletic corner named Antonio Cromartie and he has turned out very well so far. I expect the Chargers to do the same with Aqib Talib in the first round. They need an offensive lineman, but there are no first-round worthy offensive linemen left. They need help in the secondary and Talib will be that help.28. Dallas Cowboys - DeSean Jackson, WR, CaliforniaJackson is a true playmaking threat. His size might scare some people, but people can add and lose weight. Some people are just natural playmakers who can tear the field up. Jackson would probably play in the slot at Dallas and serve as a great kick and punt returner as well. Cornerback is less of need since Pacman Jones is coming very close to becoming a Dallas Cowboy. The Cowboys can draft a true #2 WR next year.29. San Francisco 49ers - Malcolm Kelly, WR, OklahomaYeah, I know that he didn't have a great Pro Day. But Kelly produced big during his time at Oklahoma. The man only had one drop during his time as a wideout at OU. He won't be a burner at the next level. But he will be a big target for Alex Smith. He is a physical, highly reliable possession receiver with outstanding hands.30. Green Bay Packers - Jerod Mayo, LB, TennesseeThe Packers are in a very unpredictable situation in the draft. There are multitude of players that can be selected here. They go with a safety such as Kenny Phillips. Perhaps they draft Antoine Cason, Brandon Flowers or Justin King at cornerback. But I think they go with the best player available in Jerod Mayo. He was highly productive and is a very versatile, talented linebacker.31. New York Giants - Dan Connor, LB, Penn StateThe Giants are in a situation very similar to that of the Packers. They have similar needs to address and possibly similar draft boards. To me, Dan Connor is the best available player for them. He and Mayo are 2 and 2a (behind Keith Rivers) at the linebacker position.

There could be a huge wrench thrown in (there almost certainly will be by some team) by the Chiefs dealing Jared Allen before the draft. That would open up tons of possibilities at the #5 pick, that currently don't seem likely (DE's). The next week will be interesting for sure.

If Kenny Phillips is still available at #31 I think the Giants would take him in a heartbeat. They always take Miami guys and they have a glaring need at safety. he is the only great safety in this draft.