How Does Pokerstars Decide Table Placings?

I hate it when that happens (unfortunately, I'm not in the position that I see it occuring frequently :club: ) It's happened to me in a few AP freerolls, so the issue is not exclusive to PS
I find that they tend to build a "final table" with the big stacks mostly at one. and the majority of the small stacks to fight it out.

SeatingIsRAB(Random at best)

Hello qyayqi,Thank you for your email.As players are eliminated from the tournament, the software may balancetables to ensure all tables have an equal number (or as close as possible)number of active players. The balancing of tables is done completelyrandomly and, although rare, may result in a player having to post severalbig blinds in a row.Please let us know if you have further questions.Regards,Martin K

Hello qyayqi,Thank you for your email.As players are eliminated from the tournament, the software may balancetables to ensure all tables have an equal number (or as close as possible)number of active players. The balancing of tables is done completelyrandomly and, although rare, may result in a player having to post severalbig blinds in a row.Please let us know if you have further questions.Regards,Martin K
Thanks Q, much appreciated.I didn't think their criteria would be based upon inactive players but, thinking about it, I guess that makes sense in the situation of having 2 or more players out on one table.I still think they could try to change the software so that it tries to balance chip counts too. After all, late in mtts or even multi-table SnGs, there is an element of 'unfairness' to being placed at a table of other big stacks (which indicates that they are, more often than not, good players). If you have done well enough to build a big stack, it doesn't seem much of a reward to be sitting in between the 2 biggest stacks.Oh well... luck of the draw!
Thanks Q, much appreciated.I didn't think their criteria would be based upon inactive players but, thinking about it, I guess that makes sense in the situation of having 2 or more players out on one table.I still think they could try to change the software so that it tries to balance chip counts too. After all, late in mtts or even multi-table SnGs, there is an element of 'unfairness' to being placed at a table of other big stacks (which indicates that they are, more often than not, good players). If you have done well enough to build a big stack, it doesn't seem much of a reward to be sitting in between the 2 biggest stacks.Oh well... luck of the draw!
I don't think this is necessarily true. But either way, good players or not, there's an inherent disadvantage to being amid several large stacks when the blinds are relatively high and it's near the bubble.Sometimes the "random" seating produces results so absurd that they border on impossible. In the last PLO8 tourney I played on PokerStars, I was one of six stacks above 20K with approximately 110 players left, and the next highest stack was around 14K. All six of us were seated at the same table for the better part of an hour until a three-way all-in produced a monster stack. Twelve tables running, six chipleaders (by far) concentrated on one of them. Somebody else can do the math, but whatever the formula, it's silly.

I think that big stacks tend to end up on one table because in order to become a big stack they had to eliminate someone, and as they eliminate a player a player is randomly put onto the table while the big stacks stay put. Also as play goes on big stacks may accumulate because they're more likely to survive then any small stack moved to the table.

It is not random at all, if you are being moved to a new table you will always be moved to a seat in a similar position to the button and blinds.ie if you were about to play on the button when your table is closed or you are moved, you will be put in a seat at the new table that is about to play the button, or in late position.OBV when there are only a few tables left in a tourney, this becomes more and more difficult so you wont always end up in exactly the same position.

I still think they could try to change the software so that it tries to balance chip counts too. After all, late in mtts or even multi-table SnGs, there is an element of 'unfairness' to being placed at a table of other big stacks (which indicates that they are, more often than not, good players). If you have done well enough to build a big stack, it doesn't seem much of a reward to be sitting in between the 2 biggest stacks.
it has to be random.
It is not random at all, if you are being moved to a new table you will always be moved to a seat in a similar position to the button and blinds.ie if you were about to play on the button when your table is closed or you are moved, you will be put in a seat at the new table that is about to play the button, or in late position.OBV when there are only a few tables left in a tourney, this becomes more and more difficult so you wont always end up in exactly the same position.
This is close. They try to move the small blind from the previous hand to as similiar a place on the new table.