Johan Is A Met

Enough said...Link
great trade. you should mention though that the deal is contingent on NYM and Johan agreeing on a long term contract extension.Good job Mets way to make a splash. so sick of the sawx and the yanks dominating the headlines.
great trade. you should mention though that the deal is contingent on NYM and Johan agreeing on a long term contract extension.Good job Mets way to make a splash. so sick of the sawx and the yanks dominating the headlines.
Yah it is contingent on the Mets signing Johan but the Mets wouldnt have let the news break if they werent guaranteed to sign them. Johan can really put the Mets back against the wall here if he wants. Met fans would never forgive Omar he doesnt sign Johan now, no matter what he asks for. After last seasons collapse there is no way that the team can go into the season losing Johan as well. Fans would never forgive the front office and would call for all their heads.
Its a sad day for us Twins fans. We didn't even get Martinez in the package.
I would have to say that I am happy that I am not a Twins fan. Gomez will be a good player. I dont ever see him being great though. I would say he is closer to former Mets #1 pick Jason Tyner than Torii Hunter. He has Reyes speed, just without the instincts, although he is still young. The turf in Minnesota will help him as he loves bunting/smashing the ball into the ground and running. I just never see him being a power hitter though. Hes good in the field, covers a lot of ground, just looks shaky doing so. Personally, I always liked Lastings Milledge more than Gomez. But Milledge is in Washington now and was traded for nothing.Humber is interesting. Was very highly touted out of college, had surgery (Tommy John I thing), and you havent heard much from him since. For a few years now he has been pretty widely accepted as the Mets #2 pitching prospect after Mike Pelfrey. Some would say that Humber is better than Pelfrey but it never seemed that the Mets agreed. They never really gave Humber a shot. All of his MLB numbers were in September mop up time. They were choosing to pitch 5th starters such as Brian Lawrence over Humber down the stretch so it was interesting. By the way Pelfrey was like 0-8 this year before getting a win in the majors, and he was getting his shots over Humber.Guerra and Mulvney are both young and at least a year away. I would say they are pretty much average to slightly above average prospects at best. They were always listed in the Mets top 10 best prospect lists, but thats really not saying much at all. If I were the Twins I would have wanted the Yankee or Red Sox packages. If I traded with the Mets I would have held out for Fernando Martinez. Hes still very raw and is only like 18, but has been talked about since he was signed when he was 16 and has a chance to be a phenom. I would have to give the advantage in this trade to the Mets.

Well. Good news. This story is finally over and the Yankees didn't get him. Another bonus is that this comes out before I picked Atlanta to win the NL East...now I don't have to backtrack.

LOL @ the Twins. Philip Humber....lol......Gomez might be decent...........they'd better hope that Guerra kid (sp?) really pans out to be a stud..or they are gonna look like fools. Did they feel bad for the AJ Pierzynski trade they pulled off a few years back???

LOL @ the Twins. Philip Humber....lol......Gomez might be decent...........they'd better hope that Guerra kid (sp?) really pans out to be a stud..or they are gonna look like fools. Did they feel bad for the AJ Pierzynski trade they pulled off a few years back???
I think Mulvney has a better shot at panning out than Guerra...but I would have to give Humber the advantage over both of them...
I think Mulvney has a better shot at panning out than Guerra...but I would have to give Humber the advantage over both of them...
Humber may never be good at all. He's already 25 years old, so it isn't like he's some big time stud prospect anymore......if he's the "main piece" of the deal in terms of arms they get back.....that's not saying much. I'm not saying he'll suck and that they got "nothing" back........but for what they gave up......they got ripped off big time. They got a couple of "pretty good" prospects and a couple teenagers who are question marks.

I dont get this trade at all on the Twins side. The Mariners, Yankees, and Red Sox packages all seemed better. As a fan of the Jays I guess Im happy that hes in the NL now instead of the AL East, but as a fan of Santana im disappointed that I wont be able to see him pitch as much now.

I dont get this trade at all on the Twins side. The Mariners, Yankees, and Red Sox packages all seemed better. As a fan of the Jays I guess Im happy that hes in the NL now instead of the AL East, but as a fan of Santana im disappointed that I wont be able to see him pitch as much now.
I think (much like the shaq trade) the trading team cared TOO much about sending him to the opposite league. I think that played a huge role in them getting only 65 cents on the dollar for Johan.

I'm in the odd situation of living in MN, but also being a lifelong Mets fan. Obviously a good trade for the Mets. They really need to work on their positional depth as well because their farm system is really getting depleted after the moves of the past 3 years and many of their "star" players are injury prone. The Twins painted themselves into a corner with this whole Johan situation and I think it's going to end up leaving a pretty bitter taste in a lot of the fans' mouths. They're getting a new stadium, and 2 of their most beloved players just left for greener pastures. They're now stuck with an inconsistent Morneau and an extremely overrated Mauer as the foundation of their team. That, combined with the fact that they've gone from a top five MLB team in terms of pitching, to essentially having a staff as reliable as the Nationals in two years time is going to make this a really long summer for Twins fans. Lastly, in my best Seinfeld voice:"...and Minnesota GMs, they're horrible. What's up with that?"

The Mets have under 17 hours left to sign Johan...Although I think there is a 99.9% chance of it happening, the fact that its not done yet worries me...I just wish it would happen already...

The Mets have under 17 hours left to sign Johan...Although I think there is a 99.9% chance of it happening, the fact that its not done yet worries me...I just wish it would happen already...
It's a 100% guarantee to happen. The Mets have PLENTY of money....they will not cause the deal to fall through b/c they won't give in for a measly 2-3 million or so.
It's a 100% guarantee to happen. The Mets have PLENTY of money....they will not cause the deal to fall through b/c they won't give in for a measly 2-3 million or so.
Yah everyone, including me, is 100% sure it was going to happen. But, I also felt the same way when I said the Mets werent gonna blow the division last year.

And they are all in the room eating dinner...Johan is there so I assume that he is signing a contract...50 Minutes...Fingers crossed...