was wondering why dn failed to mention how bad gavin came off in this..<or do you think gavin came off bad dn?> imo i thought he really feels what this kid did was ok...just wondering what dn's take was...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that there's a lot more cheating happening and, until people are seriously penalized, scum like JJP who get interviewed and brag about what they've done will just encourage others to cheat too.When people like this are interviewed, the interviewers like Gavin and Joe should ambush the cheaters with tough questions, tell them that they're scum, and tell them to leave the interview and poker.

I thought his comments were awful as well in regards to making him look like he approved completely.
obv i agree...not only did he seem like he approved he made it seem like "everybody " thinks its ok.. i feel that if jj gets called out ppl like gavin should be called out , no matter what there stature is in the poker world...has gavin ever commented on the backlash that he has recieved from this? or has he gotten any? i know alot of ppl on 2+ 2 were calling him out..

How exactly did the kid cheat anyways? I don't understand why he had multiple accounts either, was it to play after he had been banned for cheating or was it part of a strategy to cheat? How could having multiple accounts conceivably help you cheat anyways? Pardon my ignorance, I hadn't heard of this.

How exactly did the kid cheat anyways? I don't understand why he had multiple accounts either, was it to play after he had been banned for cheating or was it part of a strategy to cheat? How could having multiple accounts conceivably help you cheat anyways? Pardon my ignorance, I hadn't heard of this.
He was using these multiple accounts to enter the the same tournament. Thus giving him an advantage over others.

Re: JJ Prodigy BlogI have to disagree with DN here, and I know I'm probably in the minority, especially, on an online poker forum.First, what this kid did was very stupid. That should go without saying. But, I just don't understand why we feel the need to have an 18-year-old kid grilled over the coals on an online poker radio show hosted by a bunch of adolescent poker players. Is it just a matter of wanting to see the kid punished and publicly humiliated?As a journalist, I never felt it was my job to exact any punishment on behalf of any group or organization. I felt it was my job to inform the public and to give voice to as many sides as possible. Would I have asked better questions than Bart Hanson? Sure, but I have an honours degree in journalism and six years of professional experience. So I also don't understand the level of expectation you have. It's pokertainment, not the CBC National or Anderson 360. It's not even up to the journalistic standards of your average college newspaper. But, it's a very entertaining program and does a lot to promote the game.Despite all this, I thought Bart did ok. I now know a whole lot more about this kid and his motivations than I probably would had Bart and Co. went on the attack.I don't think this kid understands how hurtful his actions are to others and, more importantly in my mind, the game of poker. I don't think he's all that remorseful and he's very likely to cheat again in the future, especially if he's made to feel like an outsider in the poker community.I actually would have felt uncomfortable listening to three 30-somethings chastise an 18-year old kid, no matter how deserved. I understand Daniel, that you are a very media savvy individual, but I doubt this kid has ever done a radio interview in his brief life."Questions should have been more direct, a la, "What is wrong with you? You cheat, get caught, give the poker world a lame apology, only to go right back at it and keep cheating? Why should anyone believe you are suddenly reformed? Why should live poker events even allow you to play?"I'm sure we, "the scorned poker community" would feel good seeing "that little %(*$$" somehow held accountable by the great Bart Hanson...but it's unrealistic to expect Bart to conduct an interview that way, or for this JJProdigy to agree to that type of interview. Had Bart asked "What's wrong with you?" and other pointed, confrontational questions, I imagine the interview would have been terminated immediately. Finally, can you honestly dream up a single answer to that question, articulated by a teenager, that would satisfy you. I think you're more interested in the question being asked than the answer. Ultimately, I think this kid is just a tiny part of a much bigger problem - unregulated online poker. If conditions exist that allow minors to play poker online, allows the buying and selling of accounts, as well as multi-accounting, you're going to have more kids trying to take on poker like it's a video game.I think enough attention has been wasted on this kid. I would like to see more attention paid to improving security, more partnerships between poker sites, etc. Considering the kid's lifetime ban isn't even all that enforceable, it's obvious that the online poker industry needs more fixing than Bart's journalistic chops or JJProdigy's ethical compass.Just a humble opinion.

http://www.pokerkingblog.com/2006/02/18/th...digy-situation/

ok im posting this b4 i read anyone elses responses becouse im sure this is gna be mentioned !!""Gavin said in the end that he had nothing to gain by being on the show, that's completely false! He could have, instead of sounding like he didn't really care all that much, instead of trying to justify why he cheated more, he could have been genuinely remorseful and apologized in a way that's even remotely believable. If you truly aren't remorseful, though, I guess that's difficult"Ok is that all you have to say on what Gavin said ?? Becouse after hearing what he said and then bart and math guy i forget his name agreeing made me sick to my stomache .. !I mean sitting ther and Admitting to blatently cheating online for years and thought it was no big deal was absolutley disgusting !!After hearing that how can you have any respect or trust for someone that admitted to collusion taking over acounts and multiacounting ?Id much rather hear your thoughts on a 30 something year old poker vetran admitting to cheating than an 18 year old ass clown . TY

Re: JJ Prodigy BlogI have to disagree with DN here, and I know I'm probably in the minority, especially, on an online poker forum.First, what this kid did was very stupid. That should go without saying. But, I just don't understand why we feel the need to have an 18-year-old kid grilled over the coals on an online poker radio show hosted by a bunch of adolescent poker players. Is it just a matter of wanting to see the kid punished and publicly humiliated?As a journalist, I never felt it was my job to exact any punishment on behalf of any group or organization. I felt it was my job to inform the public and to give voice to as many sides as possible. Would I have asked better questions than Bart Hanson? Sure, but I have an honours degree in journalism and six years of professional experience. So I also don't understand the level of expectation you have. It's pokertainment, not the CBC National or Anderson 360. It's not even up to the journalistic standards of your average college newspaper. But, it's a very entertaining program and does a lot to promote the game.Despite all this, I thought Bart did ok. I now know a whole lot more about this kid and his motivations than I probably would had Bart and Co. went on the attack.I don't think this kid understands how hurtful his actions are to others and, more importantly in my mind, the game of poker. I don't think he's all that remorseful and he's very likely to cheat again in the future, especially if he's made to feel like an outsider in the poker community.I actually would have felt uncomfortable listening to three 30-somethings chastise an 18-year old kid, no matter how deserved. I understand Daniel, that you are a very media savvy individual, but I doubt this kid has ever done a radio interview in his brief life."Questions should have been more direct, a la, "What is wrong with you? You cheat, get caught, give the poker world a lame apology, only to go right back at it and keep cheating? Why should anyone believe you are suddenly reformed? Why should live poker events even allow you to play?"I'm sure we, "the scorned poker community" would feel good seeing "that little %(*$$" somehow held accountable by the great Bart Hanson...but it's unrealistic to expect Bart to conduct an interview that way, or for this JJProdigy to agree to that type of interview. Had Bart asked "What's wrong with you?" and other pointed, confrontational questions, I imagine the interview would have been terminated immediately. Finally, can you honestly dream up a single answer to that question, articulated by a teenager, that would satisfy you. I think you're more interested in the question being asked than the answer. Ultimately, I think this kid is just a tiny part of a much bigger problem - unregulated online poker. If conditions exist that allow minors to play poker online, allows the buying and selling of accounts, as well as multi-accounting, you're going to have more kids trying to take on poker like it's a video game.I think enough attention has been wasted on this kid. I would like to see more attention paid to improving security, more partnerships between poker sites, etc. Considering the kid's lifetime ban isn't even all that enforceable, it's obvious that the online poker industry needs more fixing than Bart's journalistic chops or JJProdigy's ethical compass.Just a humble opinion.
while i agree destroying the kid in an interview would have been tacky, but how about some non "fluff" questions? also why did the interviewers feel the need to agree that what he did wasnt a big deal? just very ,very poorly done..thats my humble opinion...i agree that enough attention has been placed solely on this kids shoulders, its time to go after ALL of the ppl that cheat and even those that condone cheating...the problem is this kid is so unremorseful that it geniunely pisses ppl off...hes a known cheat and should be banned from making a living from a game and ppl he has cheated in the past....anskys post on 2+2 is by far the best thing ive read on this matter... imo
ok im posting this b4 i read anyone elses responses becouse im sure this is gna be mentioned !!""Gavin said in the end that he had nothing to gain by being on the show, that's completely false! He could have, instead of sounding like he didn't really care all that much, instead of trying to justify why he cheated more, he could have been genuinely remorseful and apologized in a way that's even remotely believable. If you truly aren't remorseful, though, I guess that's difficult"Ok is that all you have to say on what Gavin said ?? Becouse after hearing what he said and then bart and math guy i forget his name agreeing made me sick to my stomache .. !I mean sitting ther and Admitting to blatently cheating online for years and thought it was no big deal was absolutley disgusting !!After hearing that how can you have any respect or trust for someone that admitted to collusion taking over acounts and multiacounting ?Id much rather hear your thoughts on a 30 something year old poker vetran admitting to cheating than an 18 year old ass clown . TY
agree 100%
obv i agree...not only did he seem like he approved he made it seem like "everybody " thinks its ok.. i feel that if jj gets called out ppl like gavin should be called out , no matter what there stature is in the poker world...has gavin ever commented on the backlash that he has recieved from this? or has he gotten any? i know alot of ppl on 2+ 2 were calling him out..
link pls ? i wasnt aware of this .and i mean i was always a gavin fan especially since hes from canada and i enjoyed him on poker after dark a week before i herd this pod cast it was kinda like a punch in the stomache ,lol

Personally, I feel that the poker community is, for the most, part a dark world... There has been improvement into this area with a few great people, that have morals... I think most of the HS players you see on TV have a dark past... That’s why I tend to think that the ONLINE poker isn’t as SAFE as you might think, and the worse may not even be from actual players....I really do believe they need to get this poker community together and set forth rules, over all, across the boards.... But like Mike Matusow says, poker players only think of themselves, and for the most part are dumb...I think the best way in sending a message to gavin and joe is to not listen to their show any longer...In one hand, I would love the government to regulate this industry, but on the other hand they will just be getting screwed from another end... but at least the taxes will be supporting our great politician's ideas, for real change... (sw)

link pls ? i wasnt aware of this .and i mean i was always a gavin fan especially since hes from canada and i enjoyed him on poker after dark a week before i herd this pod cast it was kinda like a punch in the stomache ,lol
im also a fan of gavin, but wow..he sounded really awful....im not sure how to post links<isap>..type gavin smith in the 2+2search and click on the Josh 'JJProdigy' Field on Pokerroad Radio thread...also check out the thread named Open Letter to the Community and Beyond on Integrity...
I agree wholeheartdly Daniel. Well done NH.BTW r u getting any better at golf?
Have not been able to play regularly do to travel and such. My short game, normally the strongest part of my game needs a week or so to catch up with some of the progress I've made in other areas. I'm driving the ball very consistently and hitting my 3-Wood pretty good. I made a grip adjustment and am sometimes hitting a little more of a pull than a draw with my woods and irons, but I'm working on it. The grip adjustment has me hitting it 10 yards further, it's a little stronger but I still need to get used to it.
I agree wholeheartdly Daniel. Well done NH.BTW r u getting any better at golf?
i agree that a "big named' player like dn making a post like this is great for the game, but i find it odd that he destroy jj but kinda lets gavin off the hook a bit. i know he said gavin came off bad, but lets be honest isnt gavin as guilty as jj? mybe im wrong ? if you call one person out, you have to call them all out...if not, its kinda hard to take a post you write on the matter very seriously.
i agree that a "big named' player like dn making a post like this is great for the game, but i find it odd that he destroy jj but kinda lets gavin off the hook a bit. i know he said gavin came off bad, but lets be honest isnt gavin as guilty as jj? mybe im wrong ? if you call one person out, you have to call them all out...if not, its kinda hard to take a post you write on the matter very seriously.
I was listening to the show and taking notes mostly on the interview and really didn't focus on Gavin's comments as much. I also did the show once and know how he feels about that stuff so it didn't shock me as much. I don't think putting Gavin and the kid in the same guilty boat in this case is fair. Seemed to me that Gavin was trying to be nice to the kid, something I probably wouldn't have done.
I was listening to the show and taking notes mostly on the interview and really didn't focus on Gavin's comments as much. I also did the show once and know how he feels about that stuff so it didn't shock me as much. I don't think putting Gavin and the kid in the same guilty boat in this case is fair. Seemed to me that Gavin was trying to be nice to the kid, something I probably wouldn't have done.
wow...this is kinda shocking...i understand gavin tryin to be nice to the kid, but to condone cheating and acting like its no big deal is repulsive ...and if gavin multied and took over accounts , then yes he is just as guilty dn...ducy?
wow...this is kinda shocking...i understand gavin tryin to be nice to the kid, but to condone cheating and acting like its no big deal is repulsive ...and if gavin multied and took over accounts , then yes he is just as guilty dn...ducy?
No he's not. First of all Gavin never admitted to multli-accounting himself, only taking over someone's account. Not much better, but different. Also, Gavin didn't get caught, apologize/lie, and then continue to cheat. This kid is being grilled because he doesn't really want to stop multi-accounting at all.

We addressed the same problem on our radio show. I have made it a point to let NO ONE off the hook on this, and I've been particularly disgusted by the attitudes of the masses, saying 'No big deal'. That's a pile of BS: If I'm playing in a WPT event, make it to the final table, and then call Daniel and say, 'Hey, dude, you're better than me, I'll sell you my seat at the final table', the response of EVERYONE would be outrage. So why does this type of behaviour get a walk in the online world? Likewise, if Daniel was playing in Day 1A of a WSOP event, busted (Sorry, DN, it's my make believe scenario! :club: ), and then bought into Day 1B under a different name, would everyone say 'Oh, hey, that's not a big deal'. Doubtful. Softballing an interview is acceptable in some situations. But NOT when you have a guest whose sole claim to fame is misbehaviour. When we had Rain Khan on our show, we asked him why he acted like a jackass. When we had Brad Booth on the show, we asked him about losing 3 million. If you want credibility as a journalist, you have to be prepared to ask pertinent questions. Or just don't have those people as guests....

No he's not. First of all Gavin never admitted to multli-accounting himself, only taking over someone's account. Not much better, but different. Also, Gavin didn't get caught, apologize/lie, and then continue to cheat. This kid is being grilled because he doesn't really want to stop multi-accounting at all.
i wont nit pick this point, but cheating is cheating..gavin didnt get caught or lie, but he went on a major poker radio show and condoned it...not so bright. alot of young ppl listen to that and think its ok...shrug...i know he is your friend dn and i respect you sticking up for him, but imo he is in the wrong here....