Official I Joined A Gym Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started doing a Starting Strength routine. After reading the book and reading 2+2's Health and Fitness forum I realized that I have to forget just about everything I thought I knew about the gym.Eating healthier is the hardest part to keep doing consistently.

I started doing a Starting Strength routine. After reading the book and reading 2+2's Health and Fitness forum I realized that I have to forget just about everything I thought I knew about the gym.Eating healthier is the hardest part to keep doing consistently.
Eating healthy isn't hard, it just takes planning and preparation to constantly have good food available.I ran 8 miles yesterday around my town. I ran alot of pretty steep hills and a little sore today but not to badin retrospect to what I did. Gonna take a couple days off and try to improve on my timed 5k probably lMOnday.Still doing weights in between.

going to start adding weights to help with explosive strength and not just endurancesquats, dead, cleans, snatch, bench, all the ones i hate

going to start adding weights to help with explosive strength and not just endurancesquats, dead, cleans, snatch, bench, all the ones i hate
lol snatch. all jokes aside, i like bench, have never done cleans or snatch but hate squats and dead. did them for a while but now I don't. I pretty much just work on chest, back and arms with weights and run on the treadmill. Bad i know but at least i'm still working out. dunno why but I love doing bench.

I went and played hockey this morning for the first time in a few years. I was out of breath pretty quickly, but managed to play the whole game which is better than the last time I went out. It was a ton of fun, I missed playing sooo bad!

lol snatch. all jokes aside, i like bench, have never done cleans or snatch but hate squats and dead. did them for a while but now I don't. I pretty much just work on chest, back and arms with weights and run on the treadmill. Bad i know but at least i'm still working out. dunno why but I love doing bench.
i would go to the gym tonight but i'm pretty sure i'm still drunk from last night/this morning so i'm gonna skip it
i would go to the gym tonight but i'm pretty sure i'm still drunk from last night/this morning so i'm gonna skip it
ah, nice. I'm drinking a shiraz as I typedrank a decent amount fri night, a few martinis and half a bottle of australian shiraz. not quite the wine afficionado as you are but I do enjoy drinking vintage reds in general. worked out a bit this morning. did some bench, flies and tricep pulldowns, no cardio.

Did a good leg workout today. 20 minute warmup on crosstrainer, lunges with weights across the gym, steps, gay squat things that I hate doing, jumping side to side up on a bench, calf press?, calf raises, the thing where you put your foot on a petal type thing and push it straight back that works out your butt muscle?, then leg lifty thing, and leg bendy thing. It was a solid workout, and I felt great after (no feeling like I was going to hurl).

I watch The Biggest Loser, do any of you watch that? (gay jokes?)
The only time I see the biggest loser is when I'm looking at you pal.I KEEEED! gl with this Ray. I too am starting a regime to lose what little gut I have.Hellooooooo shin splints.

Ended up being really sore from Friday's 8 mile running adventure. I felt great doing it but still pretty sore today.I'm pretty sure i'll be up for a run tommorow, probably 3 miles.My eight is maintaining but i've been slacking on the diet a tad so I plan on sticking with it and putting a good week ofexercise in. One more week till my first race 5K.

I really have to work on my form on deadlifts. I'm rounding my back too much and when I start working with heavier weights I'm going to destroy my back
looking forward helps me when I used to do them. what are you deadlifting now? I was able to do 315 for a couple of reps.
I really have to work on my form on deadlifts. I'm rounding my back too much and when I start working with heavier weights I'm going to destroy my back
keep your chin up

Well, I'm back to this thread. It's been about a month since I wrote anything down. I was on vacation for two weeks and of course when I came back there was nothign but work to do so I didn't have a chance to log on and see what everyone is up to. Randy, it sounds like things are going well for you. I have started me initial training for a half marathon in April. I figure if by January I can get together 7 miles with no problems then I will go for it, however this is how it's been so far.Monday 10/12 - 1.25 milesWednesday 10/14 - 1.25 milesFriday 10/16 - 1.25 milesSaturday 10/17 - 1.25 milesMonday 10/19 - 1.75 milesI am not keeping track of times yet I am just trying to get myself used to running some distance first. I figure I will start the timing when I can run 3 miles again. When I trained for the Sprint Triathlon I was running 3 miles with no problems so I am hoping to bring it back to that point relatively quickly. As far as weight training, I am being lazy in getting back to that. I am hoping to be able to jump back in the gym on Saturday or sunday and start with the program AVS and I came up with a month ago.Good work everybody!!

looking forward helps me when I used to do them. what are you deadlifting now? I was able to do 315 for a couple of reps.
I'm only at about 175 now. I should be making decent gains for the next couple months, so I'm pretty excited.I'm rewatching Rippetoes Starting Strength DVDs and I at least know what my problem is. I was dropping my ass too low and I think that almost forces an awful arch in my back. I think I'm just going to put this video on my phone and watch it between sets until I can get it every time.
I'm sure you're gonna kill that 5k randy
Well, I honestly just hope to break 29 minutes to fend off the AARP crowd.
Well tonight I decided to try and do the running thing. Felt good, see how I feel in the morning. 29:45 3.29K
Awesome, hang in with it!

awesome work guys. randy, you can beat 29 min. with the way you've been training. i know it! :)yah, chin up, look forward for deadlifts. did some bench today, four sets repping 225, first set I can do 9 reps, by the last set down to 5 only.tricep pulldowns four sets then ran 5k. first 1.2 miles at 8 miles/hr then had to drop it to 6 for most of the rest, pumped it up to 8 or more occasional for 0.2 of a mile then back down to 6. ran it in 26:40. first mile was 7:30. if I could run at level 8 for the whole time, I'd be pretty fast I think. :club: 22:30 for 5k. It's gonna take me a while to get there I think. polished off the 2nd half of that red wine i started yesterday. bad habit that wine.

awesome work guys. randy, you can beat 29 min. with the way you've been training. i know it! :)yah, chin up, look forward for deadlifts. did some bench today, four sets repping 225, first set I can do 9 reps, by the last set down to 5 only.tricep pulldowns four sets then ran 5k. first 1.2 miles at 8 miles/hr then had to drop it to 6 for most of the rest, pumped it up to 8 or more occasional for 0.2 of a mile then back down to 6. ran it in 26:40. first mile was 7:30. if I could run at level 8 for the whole time, I'd be pretty fast I think. :club: 22:30 for 5k. It's gonna take me a while to get there I think. polished off the 2nd half of that red wine i started yesterday. bad habit that wine.
I have no idea of how to pace myself or how fast i'm going other than a generic feeling for the most part. I generally time the entire run but that's about it.I know there are watches and things that supposedly help but I am pretty new to this and wouldn't begin to know what to look for. I did see an ad fora Garmin type watch that supposedly did it all and could be downloaded to the computer but it seemed a tad pricey. I know iphone has aps as well but I don't have one of those either.In any case I am gaining some speed and distance and i've been really focused on doing the evolution running style though it will likely take me a year to be proficient at it. I'm also thinking of trying barefoot or minimalist but that won't be till spring since it's getting to cold to get started on that adventure.