Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Meh @ padding, as you increase shoulder flexibility you'll be able to position the bar lower and lower. Your upper back should be pulled back and held in extension such that the bar rests on your deltoids? (Somebody help me there). Also, 275 is super sick, what's your depth like? I do.
Is this about lat pull down form?
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to take Omega 3 gel capsules, but then I adopted a very Inuit-like diet with lots of fish.
I take Salba which contains omega 3's, protein, fibre and antioxidants. It's also a bit filling so I eat slightly less. I'm thinking of just taking omega 3 capsules though because it's the main thing that's good for you in the salba. omega 3's generally improve your cardiovascular health and may have a anticancer effect.
Meh @ padding, as you increase shoulder flexibility you'll be able to position the bar lower and lower. Your upper back should be pulled back and held in extension such that the bar rests on your deltoids? (Somebody help me there). Also, 275 is super sick, what's your depth like? I do.
275 is super sick. my legs are so weak. I only squat 135 lol. my thighs go to parallel though and in my defense I've only just started doing squats about 2 weeks ago. I find the padding really helps. The thick bar just hurts the soft tissue it rests on.
The things I put in bold concern me. If you are interested in what I have to say could you please post your workout program. If not Please just ignore me. Off Hand my concerns are; WHy are you working out sore? When you workout you break down muscle which makes you sore. you rest and that is when the muscle rebuilds itself and gains are made. If you don't allow your body to fully rest you will overtrain and gains will slow or cease. Why are you doing exercises like pec dec and decline cabke rows? this are very detail oriented work exercises that most ppl should not do without good reason. and judging from the post I read here It seems to me your time would be best spent focusing on the compound exercise.Supplements I takeA simple one a day mens health. I prefer Twin labs multi but I get the one a day on sale at costco. and yes capsules are superior to tabletsVitamin E sofgell 400 I.U.Twin labs V itamin B-100 a B complex. I avoid the sun so this helps with B vitamin deprivation as well as energy for my workouts.500mg vitamin CFisH Oil soft gels. I take enough to get 3 grams EPA and DHA a day. The Epa and Dha are the things that matter in fish oils.Glucosamine and Chondritin. I have Plantar facitis and this helps relieve the pain.5 grams of Cretaine monhydrateI use a scoop of Metrx protein plus a day.. I mix this with 3 cups of non fat milk and my creatine.
I usually don't do pec dec and cable rows but since my right shoulder was sore, I didn't want to dumbell presses or inclines that I usually do, so I just did light weight on the pec deck and cables. better than doing nothing i was thinking. My shoulder feels better now. Also, Serge Hubret saids its fine to workout with sore muscles which I think you were driving at but it wasn't really the typical soreness that I was getting. I think I strained my shoulder too much from benching too heavy (well for me anyway) :club: lightweight for socalpoker :ts Anyways, don't have time to google it right now so can you tell me what you take vitamin e, b and fish oils for? Thx for your advice.
By depth do you mean how far down do I go? I get almost down to 90 degrees. I don't make it all the way down just because I'm a little worried about my legs/back giving out. I probably am two to three inches from 90. I'll working on finding the correct spot to but the bar. I guess I'll just have to find the perfect spot between the vertebrae to rest it.
By depth do you mean how far down do I go? I get almost down to 90 degrees. I don't make it all the way down just because I'm a little worried about my legs/back giving out. I probably am two to three inches from 90. I'll working on finding the correct spot to but the bar. I guess I'll just have to find the perfect spot between the vertebrae to rest it.
I don't like using any support equipment unless absolutely necessary and I never recommend it, but if its really a problem, I've seen a few people in my gym using these:http://www.amazon.com/Manta-Ray-Squat-Harn...t/dp/B0017DGBY8Squat1x5x2051x5x2251x5x2751x5x2951x5x315 (Last few reps were meh)Bench1x5x1851x5x2051x5x2251x5x2451x3x275Deadlift1x5x2051x5x2251x5x2751x5x3151x5x34530 Min HIITHanging Leg RaisesI felt really great after this workout.
I don't like using any support equipment unless absolutely necessary and I never recommend it, but if its really a problem, I've seen a few people in my gym using these:http://www.amazon.com/Manta-Ray-Squat-Harn...t/dp/B0017DGBY8
I'll just pull up my panties and deal with it. In highschool I never had this problem. I'll see what happens Monday when I lift legs next. Today is my off day and I'm definitely enjoying it. I'm watching hockey now while attempting to write a paper, and tonight I'm going to a blue grass concert at a biker bar. The band is called Trampled by Turtles. I don't really like their music but the concerts are really fun if that makes sense. I plan on drinking but not to much that I can't work out tomorrow.

One of the articles I viewed suggested doing the HIIT on a variety of machines. I'll switch from the treadmill / step-machine etc.Laziness prevents me from going to a park to do sprints, especially when I'm paying for a gym membership.

i had a decent workout today. Dropped off my car to get my summer tires put on and ran home. Only 2.5k and did it in 13 min. I was slightly downhill though. ate lunch, rested a bit then went to the gym to do bench, deadlifts and tricep work. I just started deadlifts last week. They are just super tiring to do. Still don't know what weight I feel comfortable doing. I can deadlift 225 for reps (about 8 i think-I could have done more but just felt tired, it's a weird feeling, it's like the feeling after a superset, it's not that I can't really do another one but it's so painful to do that next rep), I tried 275 for one rep and was able to do it but our gym floor isn't padded and it was too heavy for me to drop quietly. I didn't just let go, I let it down while still gripping the bar but I guess I went down faster than I thought and it made some noise as it hit the floor. Think I'll stick with 225 for now. Going to try squats again tomorrow, hopefully I can add a little bit of weight. So weak with that for some reason. at 135 now. ugh.

So I really did just join a gym today.We let our one in the building go after December and had been trying to eat better, but it's hard to stick to that consistently.Signed up at the Y by me. They pretty much have everything, so I'm excited. Worked out for the first time in awhile today. Man I'm in bad shape.

Tried a basic HIIT treadmill routine and it nearly caused me to hurl. Still ran for about an hour all told, but I've decided my 1-pack a week habit & exercise can not co-exist. Yes, I am officially quitting smoking.The work out was great overall.

I think you are doing too much. 40 minutes of cardio is a complete workout by itself. You need to think of your workout as a whole (cardio and exercises) and get the entire workout time around 60-40minutes. could you post me an example of your complete workout program. if you don't want to I understand.
This is the first time I've done that much cardio, along with a work out. I'm just getting back to the gym and was full of energy that day.Standard for me would be a good stretching, a 10 min warm up on the bike, a weight work out, then stretch again.On days that I do 40+ mins on the bike, I will stretch, do my bike thing, do some ab work, then stretch to finish.This week, I plan to write down my weight work out so I can report it. I honestly don't know that much about it all, so I'm going to be open for sugestions.

On my way to work this morning, I realized I have roughly four weeks left before the race. I'm happy with the progress I've made so it's not really worry time or anything, but it sort of snuck up in the past month or so. I think I might end the week with a "long" run (5 miles or so) to test the waters.

The sprint triathlon is this weekend. We went to the course and did the biking and the running. I think I am ready for this albeit I am kind of nervous because I have never done anything like this before. I did find that trying to do this on a MTN bike sucks. I will probably rent a road bike for the race. Then if i find I like the format, i might end up investing in a good road bike.

I think I am ready for this albeit I am kind of nervous because I have never done anything like this before. I did find that trying to do this on a MTN bike sucks.
There's no way to avoid the nerves before doing something like this for the first time. It's natural and, in my experience, the actual race is never as bad as you make it out to be in your head. And, yes, mountain bikes suck hard for races. I've only ever done a duathlon and I HATED it because my bike was so awful.

Went 4.8 miles on the treadmill this morning, a combination of running at different speeds and walking. I figure I ran for around 4 of those miles in about the 6.5-7mph range.

Fortunately for my run tonight and unfortunately for my sanity, I've had a very frustrating day of work. This will lead to me running like a crazy person tonight (assuming crazy people run really hard for a long time because they don't realize how much it sucks). On a related note, fuck people. Pretty much all of them.

So I rented a road bike for the triathlon. I think this will make it a much more enjoyable experience!Also, not sure if any one here has seen this but my friend told me about this cool website: www.mapmyrun.com If you are wondering the distance and incline of your run, you can map it all out using google maps. I mapped the trail run that I do and it is 4.21 miles with 426 ft of elevation change. I also figured out a nice 3 mile jog around my neighborhood. Your Welcome.

Did bench, deadlifts, incline presses, dips and tricep pulldowns today. I tried deadlifting 315 for one rep for the first time, just because I was curious to see if I could do it. I did one rep but it was really heavy for me. was doing reps with 225. socalpoker is repping with 345? so sick. I've been eating like crap the past 3 days. bbq sat and sun. had at least 6 coronas sun, 6 coronas fri night, and popeye's chicken tonight + oreo cookies afterwards. i need to go to eataholics anonymous.

I think I might end the week with a "long" run (5 miles or so) to test the waters.
Fortunately for my run tonight and unfortunately for my sanity, I've had a very frustrating day of work. This will lead to me running like a crazy person tonight (assuming crazy people run really hard for a long time because they don't realize how much it sucks).
People should piss me off at work more often.5.0 miles, 34:52. I'm fairly modest (which is one of the many reasons I'm awesome), but I have to say I'm very, very pleased with that. I felt like I could finish out a 10k at the pace I ended on tonight. Definitely a good night.
People should piss me off at work more often.5.0 miles, 34:52. I'm fairly modest (which is one of the many reasons I'm awesome), but I have to say I'm very, very pleased with that. I felt like I could finish out a 10k at the pace I ended on tonight. Definitely a good night.
ur a sick runner. 10k in prob under 45 min? how tall are you and what's ur weight if you don't mind me asking? I'm 6 feet and about 210 lbs. too heavy to be a good long distance runner I think.
ur a sick runner. 10k in prob under 45 min? how tall are you and what's ur weight if you don't mind me asking? I'm 6 feet and about 210 lbs. too heavy to be a good long distance runner I think.
Thanks, dude. I've never considered myself a "good" runner, but I definitely can motivate myself enough to bust my ass when I set a goal and see progress. I'm about 5'11" and around 170 pounds. I've been going pretty hard since January and I think I've lost about 20 pounds so that has helped a lot. Really, though, the thing that makes me stick with it is setting a reasonable goal for the next month, getting there, and then looking back to see where I'm at compared to 4 weeks/8 weeks/etc ago.
........so can you tell me what you take vitamin e, b and fish oils for?
I take 400 I.U. Of vitamin E For the weirdest of reasons. I have found taking it makes my skin feel better and makes my poops smoother and easier to uh clean up...:club:) I would not generally recommend E supplementation to others. I also don't feel selenium that is often used with E is safe for supplementation. I take B complex for general energy. I avoid the sun so B synthesis is something I lack.I take 3 grams combined "Epa & Dha" (which are the important things in the fish oil) for all the popular reasons such as General Heart health, General Brain Health, Cholesterol, etc...etc...there are just to many positive studies to currently avoid taking it.