Official I Joined A Gym Thread

I just got back to the gym after taking a day off from food poisoning. I went up 10 pounds in all my lifts and decreased reps from 10 to 6. I don't feel nearly as tired after this workout than I usually do doing 4 sets of 10. I'll increase the weight again next time to hopefully get a better burn. I did do 4 sets of 10 on bench at 205 pounds so that's an accomplishment for me. I'll probably go for a run outside later today since it's finally above 50 here.
Sounds like you should get food sick more often.
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what a few of the following stats mean, but I'll look them up. I actually weigh less than I thought I did which means I've lost a bit of weight on my own already! So this is what we're starting off at:Body type: StandardGender: MaleAge: 24Height: 5' 11"Weight: 223.0 lb
Those are pretty much the only stats I understand of all of them. Do you have some sort of goal you're working towards? A target weight or number of pounds you want to lose?

For whatever reason, my run last night sucked balls. I could tell within the first few minutes that I was going to get worn out quicker than usual and only made it 20 minutes. It's also possible that my brain had already shifted into green beer mode and I wasn't exactly motivated to stay at the gym. If I have another "tired" night tonight I'm going to be pissed.

Those are pretty much the only stats I understand of all of them. Do you have some sort of goal you're working towards? A target weight or number of pounds you want to lose?
I'd absolutely love to get to 200, but I'm sure once I get there I'll want to get down to 185 or 180. I'm going to Vegas for a month in June, and I'm hoping to be 210 by then (13 pounds to lose according to the scale I was on), but then I'll be without my trainer for a month and living in luxury so I'm going to have to try not to fail too hard, then come back home and crush it.
I'd absolutely love to get to 200, but I'm sure once I get there I'll want to get down to 185 or 180. I'm going to Vegas for a month in June, and I'm hoping to be 210 by then (13 pounds to lose according to the scale I was on), but then I'll be without my trainer for a month and living in luxury so I'm going to have to try not to fail too hard, then come back home and crush it.
Getting down to 210 by your Vegas trip should be doable. It will be tough to not gain some back with no trainer and "living in luxury" for a month, though. But you're right, once you get to an intermediate goal you'll probably be encouraged and then decided to try to drop another 15-20lbs.

I forgot how much the first workout sucks on the next day. I just woke up and my arms are killing me, mainly in the elbow area when i stretch my arms out full length, abs are pretty sore too. Any tips on getting less sore before tomorrow's workout? More protein? More stretching? Or is it too late for that?

I forgot how much the first workout sucks on the next day. I just woke up and my arms are killing me, mainly in the elbow area when i stretch my arms out full length, abs are pretty sore too. Any tips on getting less sore before tomorrow's workout? More protein? More stretching? Or is it too late for that?
"They" say that eating a bunch of protein within 30 minutes of a workout helps with muscle recovery. I think it probably does but that may not help with being sore after the first workout. It will get better. After a break from going to the gym, I always get real sore after the first workout back. GL
"They" say that eating a bunch of protein within 30 minutes of a workout helps with muscle recovery. I think it probably does but that may not help with being sore after the first workout. It will get better. After a break from going to the gym, I always get real sore after the first workout back. GL
Yeah I had a protein shake when I got home yesterday, so I guess I did all I could. Thanks.

So I discussed with my friend last night and we are going to do the Mini Triathalon. We took another look and it is actually only a 1/4 mile swim, 9 mile bike and 3 mile run. So i think I will definitely finish it ... which will be my main goal. However, for the training. I am going to stop drinking for the next 6 weeks and try to improve my running so that i can at least jog for 3 miles.Last night: 5 sets of swimming 200M + 2 sets of 50M sprints, followed by 10 minutes on the bike.

So I discussed with my friend last night and we are going to do the Mini Triathalon. We took another look and it is actually only a 1/4 mile swim, 9 mile bike and 3 mile run. So i think I will definitely finish it ... which will be my main goal. However, for the training. I am going to stop drinking for the next 6 weeks and try to improve my running so that i can at least jog for 3 miles.Last night: 5 sets of swimming 200M + 2 sets of 50M sprints, followed by 10 minutes on the bike.
I really wish I was able to swim. It's a struggle for me to stay above water for more than a few minutes. A triathlon sounds like it'd be really fun. Have you ever gone straight from biking to running. It's so strange on your legs. It take a full mile before you are used to running. In your training get used to the transition.
I really wish I was able to swim. It's a struggle for me to stay above water for more than a few minutes. A triathlon sounds like it'd be really fun. Have you ever gone straight from biking to running. It's so strange on your legs. It take a full mile before you are used to running. In your training get used to the transition.
Nope, I haven't done that yet ... maybe next time I go for a ride I should hop off and run just to see what the feeling is all about.

well I had a pretty good lifting session this morning, and I was extra hungry just a little bit ago, so after I already had a protein shake, I ate a protein bar as well. boy do I feel sorry for my anus today!

well I had a pretty good lifting session this morning, and I was extra hungry just a little bit ago, so after I already had a protein shake, I ate a protein bar as well. boy do I feel sorry for my anus today!
I had a protein bar this morning and I'm already making smells around my desk that would offend pretty much everybody. Last night was a good run. I ended up taking Wednesday off because I was frustrated by how rough it went on Tuesday, so I figured I might need a break. Last night, I went for 30 minutes and got 4.12 miles. I think I'm going to go for an outdoor run this weekend since the weather's been nice.
I had a protein bar this morning and I'm already making smells around my desk that would offend pretty much everybody. Last night was a good run. I ended up taking Wednesday off because I was frustrated by how rough it went on Tuesday, so I figured I might need a break. Last night, I went for 30 minutes and got 4.12 miles. I think I'm going to go for an outdoor run this weekend since the weather's been nice.
right now I'm drinking an energy drink and I had 4 cups of coffee this morning as well. still haven't gone. I mean it's gonna be freaking hiroshima up in this mother when I do.I didn't run any this week and it makes me sad. tuesday was st pattys and there's no way I would've been able to go home (45 minutes) get ready for the run (10 minutes) run (30 minutes) shower (2 hours) then get back up to the city (haha) to drink and be able to go to work the next day, so I just stayed up in the city. and it was raining yesterday afternoon so I just rode the bike. I think my biggest problem with running, other than where to run, is when to run. right now I weight train m/w/f in the mornings and do my gym workout m/w/f in the afternoons, and it's still dark outside when I leave for work so t/t mornings are out too, only leaving t/t afternoons. two runs a week isn't really enough to get me where I want to be in running. and yeah there's the weekend, but lets be honest here, that shit ain't happening.

I had my 2nd session with the trainer today. My arms/abs are still sore from Wednesday, but we just did legs today for most of the hour, and then some abs and back extensions at the end. My trainer seems really nice and sweet on the outside, but she's MEAN! I did 12 reps on each leg for quads on a bigger weight, then repeated on a lower weight, then again, then again, then again, so 6 sets total lowering the weight each time. Then we did the same thing for hamstrings, which was brutal, and I did 20 reps on the final 2 sets. Then I did some standing calf raise thing, 3 sets 15 reps, alternating between it and some other thing where I sat down but did raises uses the top half of my foot (toes). Then I did some other weird thing that just burned the hell out of my legs, just 1 set of 15. Then brutal ab shit 25 crunches, and 25 of me lifting my legs in the air crunch type things. Overall it sucked and I doubt I'll be able to walk tomorrow, I can barely walk now. Next week I'm with her Monday, Tuesday, Thursday... BRING ON THE PAIN

No workouts all week. Brother in town through Wednesday, got sick as shit Wednesday night. Hoping to fire it back up hardcore on Monday.

any tips on starting out? i used to be very athletic and let myself go for 3 years, lol. looking to burn fat quickly then start on a regimen of weights. have gone the last 6 days and done 45-60 mins of cardio on the bike everyday.

any tips on starting out? i used to be very athletic and let myself go for 3 years, lol. looking to burn fat quickly then start on a regimen of weights. have gone the last 6 days and done 45-60 mins of cardio on the bike everyday.
From what I've heard, the sooner you get to the weights the better. The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn when you're not doing anything. If you can afford a trainer, it's probably worth it, since they'll teach you the proper ways to use the machines/weights, and give you that extra motivation you need to keep going to the gym.

I just started going to the gym yesterday. A guy at work that is about my size asked if I wanted to go on his guest pass. I am able to do just a little more then him on most of the stations. I am excited about this because he goes in with a plan. He has a list of what we are going to do. Look for updates/whining about being sore from me in the future.

I hurt yesterday, but today is like 10 times worse. My legs are absolutely killing me, I have to keep rearranging the way I sit or lie down, walking is just brutal, I laugh when I walk though thinking about how funny it would look to someone watching me. God make it stop! My arms are finally feeling better at least, which is good because I train again tomorrow.

I hurt yesterday, but today is like 10 times worse. My legs are absolutely killing me, I have to keep rearranging the way I sit or lie down, walking is just brutal, I laugh when I walk though thinking about how funny it would look to someone watching me. God make it stop! My arms are finally feeling better at least, which is good because I train again tomorrow.
Just make sure you give the muscles time to rest, that is where the actual gains come. If you do upper body e.g. you need to give it about 4 days rest. I rotate doingT-cardioW-upperT-cardioF-lowerS-carioS-upperand then rotate the weights the following week doing lower twice.

When you make protein shakes what is included?I usually have, 1/2 cup milk, frozen strawberries, and 2-3 tbs of protein powder.Should I include anything else ... or is the main ingredient the protein and as long as that goes down it doesn't matter.