Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Which do you find more effective:Intervals, or standard cardio. I'm beginning a workout regimend and I'm debating which one to include in the program.
Bang cocktail waitresses two at a time, 3 times a every day, oh wait that was Fredo's plan...Anyway I've read a bit on the subject and it seems that high intensity interval training is generally considered better. An interesting study I read about says that while you burn more fat at a steady low intensity pace, you stop burning as soon as you stop working. With the HIIT, it shows that although you burn less while you are working, you continue to burn long after, and burn more in total with the HIIT. I'll try to find the link for that and edit.
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which do you find more effective:Intervals, or standard cardio. I'm beginning a workout regimend and I'm debating which one to include in the program.
Bang cocktail waitresses two at a time, 3 times a every day, oh wait that was Fredo's plan...Anyway I've read a bit on the subject and it seems that high intensity interval training is generally considered better. An interesting study I read about says that while you burn more fat at a steady low intensity pace, you stop burning as soon as you stop working. With the HIIT, it shows that although you burn less while you are working, you continue to burn long after, and burn more in total with the HIIT. I'll try to find the link for that and edit. Edit- not the article I was referring to but this one does mention a similar study: http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/justin6.htmAlso, ran 3.5 miles today in 32 minutes ( I know I'm slow) felt like I could have gone for a while longer but had to get to work.Did Lower body on Sunday and Thursday this week, upper body on Tuesday and cadio MWF.

stayed even on my weight this week. Had a soda, bought a bunch more. Ready to get back jiggy with soda. I'm excited. Two weeks was my limit, although if I'd lost 5lbs more, I woulda kept it rollin'.did 45 minutes of cardio9 sets of triceps12 sets of Biceps. Gotta rock the guns.I think I'll go tomorrow as well, probably do legs, abs and cardio. My brother is coming in to town so diet will probably lack a little and I'll probably have a drink or two, so I have to work extra hard. I see myself going to the gym Saturday through Friday, seven days in a row, before my next workout. I need to lose so I can hit my next weight plateau. It's important. Every 10lbs is like another mini goalThing that I saw that was peculiar today. Seems like something every day. This relatively normal sized dude had three plates on the bench. Any gym regular knows that's 315lb, and what is considered a pretty solid benchmark for a strong bench. Well, he had it up and I was watching him out of the corner out of my, partially out of curiosity and partially from jealousy. Well, he was just taking the bar off the rack, holding it for a second, the re-racking it. Then, he put more weight on and did the same thing. Never did a rep, got all the way to 365lbs. I have no idea why. That reminds me, now I want to get back to doing 315 now. I gotta start working harder on chest and tris. I know it's not important for me to lift that heavy, but something in my wants to throw three plates on there and do a set of 8, like the good old day. I'm gay and I'll probably never get there. I'd rather lose weight, buuuut, in the past, I've always gotten stronger fast. I even had a coach ask me if I was juicing over the summer, because my bench would increase 5lbs almost every time./ramble

Nice job Mr. Mexico. You've probably mentioned this before but what was your starting weight, and what are you hoping to get down to?I usually drink like 6-8 cans of pop a day, but right now I'm down to 1 or 2 a day (usually 1, sometimes 2, sometimes 0), and drinking diet (not really sure how big of a difference that makes. Also off all alcohol until June (with the exception of one weekend in Toronto in May). Did 40 minutes cardio today, 580 calories according to my machine, but I've never told it my weight/gender/height stuff, so I doubt it's accurate. Did 3 sets of 10 pushups after, and 2 sets of 10 situps. I really suck at situps and I haven't been doing them the past week because my neck's been super sore for some reason. Likely shopping tomorrow, then back to the gym Monday!

Nice job Mr. Mexico. You've probably mentioned this before but what was your starting weight, and what are you hoping to get down to?
thank you. I haven't mentioned it before. I'm like a chick when it comes to my weight. I'm looking to lose 100lbs. I could lose 100 and still be larger than average. I'm 6'3" with a large frame. So, yeah, we'll see how it rolls. I think my biggest loss in one try was 60lbs, and I know I've lost 50 at least three different times. Here's to keeping it off this time.Nice work, but just do crunches. Does your neck hurt from doing situps and pulling on the back of your own head to get all the way up?
thank you. I haven't mentioned it before. I'm like a chick when it comes to my weight. I'm looking to lose 100lbs. I could lose 100 and still be larger than average. I'm 6'3" with a large frame. So, yeah, we'll see how it rolls. I think my biggest loss in one try was 60lbs, and I know I've lost 50 at least three different times. Here's to keeping it off this time.Nice work, but just do crunches. Does your neck hurt from doing situps and pulling on the back of your own head to get all the way up?
God man, please keep it off. Every time I get back on the elliptical right now, I tell myself that yeah it sucks, but it's easier now than it was, and I can do more now than when I started, so just keep doing it so you don't have to start again. My neck just started hurting one day, I don't really know why, I guess it could have been from situps. I'll stick to crunches, or the ab machines at the gym.

I can't believe it, I actually worked out on Saturday and Sunday. Full workouts. I should do that more often. Less douches around. I think I'm going to go in the a.m. for the first part of this week, MTW. Wednesday should be tough because I'm going out Tuesday night, although I won't be drinking, because drinking and driving is BAD.30 minutes of cardio200 crunches9 sets of legs

NEVER pull on your neck doing situps. NEVER. If this is happening you are NOT doing your situps right and are only going to strain your neck. You are concentrating more on using your arms to do work, in an ab exercise. If you are having trouble resisting using your arms, put your hands on the sides of your head or just fingertips on your ears. Try a medicine ball on the small of your back for some leverage or a body ball positioned a little higher on your back so your abs are not trying to pull up as much weight but still getting a work out.
was on my way to the gym after work, but I had a Fiber One attack. Looks like I'm in for the night.Fiber One attack = have one of those bars for breakfast every morning, don't eat cheese, and by the middle to end of the week, you'll be pooping every 25 minutes. I hate going at work, but today, I went at 2pm, then at 5:45pm, as I was changing to hit the gym. 12 minutes later as I was passing by the gym, I knew something was up. Barely made it home, went, and I feel like I'll have to go again shortlySo, I guess I won't be sweating off 2lbs tonight, but 2lbs will be leaving my body. UghhhI gotta go
I sometimes eat up to 2 of those a day, but rarely see the type of results you're dealing with.
Denny Crane is a fat tub of shit who'll never be in shape. NEVER
This is not the atmosphere we've tried to create in here. There is no place for this attitude toward another poster, no matter how much of a fat tub of shit they may be.
This is not the atmosphere we've tried to create in here. There is no place for this attitude toward another poster, no matter how much of a fat tub of shit they may be.
Without self loathing, no one would exercise.

So I went to the gym today and talked to a trainer. I'm 100% committed, I spent a shitload of $ for 60 sessions. We start on Wednesday, and will likely be doing Monday, Wednesday, Friday every week (with the exception of June when I'll be in Vegas). We're going to beat the hell out of my body, until I look and feel better than I've ever felt in my life, and then we're going to beat it some more.

I agree. this is not the place to make fun of fat, worthless pieces of shit, no matter how ridiculously fat, lazy, and just generally gigantic wastes of disgustingly fat space they may be. nope, not here.
was on my way to the gym after work, but I had a Fiber One attack. Looks like I'm in for the night.Fiber One attack = have one of those bars for breakfast every morning, don't eat cheese, and by the middle to end of the week, you'll be pooping every 25 minutes. I hate going at work, but today, I went at 2pm, then at 5:45pm, as I was changing to hit the gym. 12 minutes later as I was passing by the gym, I knew something was up. Barely made it home, went, and I feel like I'll have to go again shortlySo, I guess I won't be sweating off 2lbs tonight, but 2lbs will be leaving my body. UghhhI gotta go
So, I was eating a bar a day for the last week, and on friday I really had the same symptoms ... except for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. I was trying to think of what I had eaten the last week that might have caused this. This explanation make total sense now. I am going to cut down to 2-3 bars a week from now on.We did a fun hike on saturday. Elevation change 1,000 feet in 1.3 miles. Then went to the gym and swam 20 laps in the pool.

Back to it last night, 3.0 miles in 21:27. It was a pretty encouraging run. I had been off for three days, so I was pretty fresh. I plan on getting to the gym every night this week, so hopefully it should be a productive week.

So since I started swimming a friend of mine says I should try a mini triathalon. We actually do a fair bit of Mtn Biking as well, so thus the only real problem for me would be the running. The one we are looking at is a .75 mile swim, 15 mile bike, and a 3 mile run. It would be in 6 weeks. The question is whether or not I can be ready for this in that amount of time. I have been swimming 1000M when I swim, but I usually do 5 sets of 200M, so I haven't really swam for a consistent 1000M and the swim for the mini triathalon would be a little longer than that. I feel that I could bike the distance fairly easy as it is mostly flat ground.The only problem would be the run. I hate running, but since it's only three miles, I could probably run 1/2 mile wlak 1/4 mile then run 1/2 mile and walk 1/4 mile run 1 mile, walk 1/4 mile and then sprint the final 1/4 mile to end like a champ!Thoughts. Also, has anyone ever done a mini triathalon before?

Thoughts. Also, has anyone ever done a mini triathalon before?
I've only done a duathlon because I hate/suck at swimming. For me, any race is usually just about finishing the first time around. If you don't burn yourself out too quickly early and take it easy on the bike and run portion, you'll probably be able to cross the finish line without collapsing. Then, if you want, you can enter another mini-triathlon in the future if you want to improve your time. Good luck, regardless.
Bang cocktail waitresses two at a time, 3 times a every day, oh wait that was Fredo's plan...Anyway I've read a bit on the subject and it seems that high intensity interval training is generally considered better. An interesting study I read about says that while you burn more fat at a steady low intensity pace, you stop burning as soon as you stop working. With the HIIT, it shows that although you burn less while you are working, you continue to burn long after, and burn more in total with the HIIT. I'll try to find the link for that and edit.
HIIT -is far more effective and takes less time doing hours of cardio and less effective weight training. It's also great for someone just starting since you can move up levels, track it easily etc.
So, I was eating a bar a day for the last week, and on friday I really had the same symptoms ... except for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. I was trying to think of what I had eaten the last week that might have caused this. This explanation make total sense now. I am going to cut down to 2-3 bars a week from now on.We did a fun hike on saturday. Elevation change 1,000 feet in 1.3 miles. Then went to the gym and swam 20 laps in the pool.
The bars are mostly junk out there. Always use food if possible but they are okay in a pinch rather than fast food or no food. EAS makes a good balanced bar of protien and carbs. Most just have a ton of sugar.I've pretty much completed 4 solid weeks of working out and about 85% of sticking to the diet. I'm at an impasse with weight currently but I really don't pay much attention to that since it varies so much.I'm really reaching new levels each time on the treadmill maxing it out with higher speeds and inclines. This morning was by far the best run yet.Weights are starting to get in synch as well. By writing down each amount of reps and weights it's really helped me tweek my workout and max out each time.I'm basically just getting into real lifting condition but all muscles, especially legs due to cardio are really transforming. I'm down one belt and pant size which amazingly makes me the exact same size as Sal Paradise, though i'm sure i'm alot more buff.
You are a friggin genius. Worked first try. Thanks so much.I'm also a moron for forgetting the hold button thing and holding the wrong buttons, but still, you that man.
New Ipod ordered. Sigh. Although, my new one will be pink.
Oh yeah, well the Dolphins suck and sheep are unattractive
I agree. this is not the place to make fun of fat, worthless pieces of shit, no matter how ridiculously fat, lazy, and just generally gigantic wastes of disgustingly fat space they may be. nope, not here.
So, I was eating a bar a day for the last week, and on friday I really had the same symptoms ... except for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. I was trying to think of what I had eaten the last week that might have caused this. This explanation make total sense now. I am going to cut down to 2-3 bars a week from now on.
it's inconvenient, but a glorious feeling.

Just got home from my first session with the new trainer. They always ask you to come early and do a bit of a warmup, so I did a 10 minute warmup on the elliptical, then she took me over to some scale that tells you a bunch of things, she just printed out a reciept type thing from it and we were going to go over everything at the end of the session but we both forgot... I'll put those stats down in a minute. Then we worked on a bunch of machines, not too hard, she just wanted to get an idea of where I was at with this first session. Everything went ok, until we got to abs. I did 20 reps on one machine ok, then she took me to another where I could only do 6 or so and my back started hurting. That was ok though, we quit and went to a brutal 15 minutes on the treadmill where she had me going at a brisk walk and doing intervals on a steep incline. I had to hang onto the rail for most of it because I suck and could barely catch my breath. Overall I think it was a good session and I'm glad it's over. Round 2 is on Friday.I don't know what a few of the following stats mean, but I'll look them up. I actually weigh less than I thought I did which means I've lost a bit of weight on my own already! So this is what we're starting off at:Body type: StandardGender: MaleAge: 24Height: 5' 11"Weight: 223.0 lbBMI: 31.1BMR: 9213 kj 2202 kcalImpedance: 431 (horseshoe symbol that looks like an upside down U)Fat %: 25.9Fat Mass: 57.8 lbFFM: 165.2 lbTBW: 121.0 lb

I just got back to the gym after taking a day off from food poisoning. I went up 10 pounds in all my lifts and decreased reps from 10 to 6. I don't feel nearly as tired after this workout than I usually do doing 4 sets of 10. I'll increase the weight again next time to hopefully get a better burn. I did do 4 sets of 10 on bench at 205 pounds so that's an accomplishment for me. I'll probably go for a run outside later today since it's finally above 50 here.