Official I Joined A Gym Thread

I'd love to have that exercise gene where you really enjoy going to the gym everyday
oh you mean severely low self esteem? it's really not all that great actually.
So, 2.5 miles in "around" 18 minutes means 17:47 I guess. Pretty happy with that.
nice. I just found out that I have a stopwatch on my ipod so I'm gonna try to time myself tonight.
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh you mean severely low self esteem? it's really not all that great actually.
I'm covered there, what I need is that engergetic drive to go out and do something about it. So far all I've been able to talk myself into is eating less food and cutting soda completely out of my intake. I just hate exercise for the sake of exercise. I fucking hate it man.
I just hate exercise for the sake of exercise. I fucking hate it man.
I work out twice a day, morning and evening, for thirty minutes, every day of the week. I hate every second of it.I don't know what the point of that statement is, other than I must be at least somewhat insane.
well, 2 miles in 18 min 20 sec. not terrible I don't think considering how poorly I run. think I'll shoot for 17:30 by the end of march. sounds like a good goal.
why shoot for a fast time. Why not just run for 30 minutes or more? Or just run for 3 or 4 miles?I go for time on the bike and ellip, not distance. Note: I can't run anymore. Not yet at least, but I never will again for exercise. To rough on the knees, especially those that have had microfracture surgery and cartilage implants, but I digress
well, 2 miles in 18 min 20 sec. not terrible I don't think considering how poorly I run. think I'll shoot for 17:30 by the end of march. sounds like a good goal.
also, can a human walk a mile in 12 minutes? I thought I heard that somewhere.Oh, Good job I mean.
If you consider the wind resistance from your moustache you probably could run much closer to a 16 flat
why shoot for a fast time. Why not just run for 30 minutes or more? Or just run for 3 or 4 miles?I go for time on the bike and ellip, not distance. Note: I can't run anymore. Not yet at least, but I never will again for exercise. To rough on the knees, especially those that have had microfracture surgery and cartilage implants, but I digress
yeah when I do any stationary cardio machine I typically go by time, but since I'm running on a track, I kinda have to go by laps. also, if I were running on the road it'd be a set distance too since you can't really add another 1/4 mile of road and still, you know, live in the same house. I'll probably figure out a way to switch to timed runs after I reach my 17:30 goal though. I'll need something new. also, can't run 3 or 4 miles cause it would just take too long. I'm on a very limited time budget.
If you consider the wind resistance from your moustache you probably could run much closer to a 16 flat
DUDE. you wouldn't believe how annoying it is running with this thing. feels like a constant giant booger is trying to fall into my mouth. ridiculous.
Just got a membership and am hoping to get into the gym for the first time in a good 2 years this week. ugghhh the initial phase is going to be so demoralizing.
LOL LOOK AT THE FAG NEW GUY HAHA.uh, oh, i mean just get into a rhythm with your workout and you won't give a shit if anybody's looking at you. and here's a hint, the only people that would be looking at you are only looking at you to see if you're looking at them (i.e. douchebags flexing in the mirror).
YES!!! Don't ever let your weight get away from you. EVERTotally agree with the bad form people. Watching old men workout is really funny. They make up exercises and just push the weights around
SHUDDAP!
That's awesome, I started one once too. Didn't go that well. I'm on my way down, but I refuse to get on a scale until the one month point (I feel like I've lost about 10 pounds, two more weeks and I can check). I'm planning to join a gym after I diet off 30-40 pounds, and I'm already dreading it. I'd love to have that exercise gene where you really enjoy going to the gym everyday, but I've never had it and I doubt I ever will.
I'm against weighing yourself as well. Weight can fluctuate so much it's not funny and can be demoralizing. Use a tape measure or an old pair of jeans and notice the improvement that way. I know you hate exercising but I think having a plan and tracking it helps alot with this. The more I workout and get in shape noticing little improvements the more I like it.

My day-Up at 7, grabbed coffee and started workout at 7:15Shoulder press (all exercises w/increasing weight)in reps of 12-10-8-6 then 12 at the 8 rep weight.I pick a similar exercise e.g. shoulder and do anadditional 12 reps at that weight and do it for all the exercises.Continued on with Back, Chest, Tri's then Bi'sI'll admit I was listening to David Cook on the ipod fromAI last year. Not bad actually.Showered and ate a bowl of bran cereal with lowfat milk. (8:30)11- no-fat cottage cheese and apple2- chicken sandwich on wheat(plan for rest of day)5-Myoplex shake on ride home8-Salmon, salad, Baked Sweet Pot (no fat butter)11-no fat yogurt, maybe piece of fruitSat- Cardio

Thought I would add this to the thread posted from a message board I used to frequent and saved the post.He goes on a little bit abou the muscle vs fat thing but still lots othere good stuff.___________Muscle does not weigh more than fat no more than 5 pounds of feathers weighs less than 5 pounds of steel! Think for a moment....A POUND is a POUND no matter if its fat steel feathers or muscle!Fat takes up more room than muscle, but they weigh the same. If I hear muscle weighs more than fat one more time I think my head will explode...Look at the picture attached. 5 pounds of each...That's why your clothes are looser!!It's true that percentage-wise, the fat on your body comes off fairly evenly. That's important to remember when you measure your progress. See, one of the first places you're probably looking for fat loss is on those areas of your body that you think are "too fat." But in fact, that's the last place you should look, because I can guarantee that those areas are still going to look "too fat" for a little while. Think of it this way. If you have a roll of paper towels (or a cassette tape), and you start to unravel it, you can get a good amount off of the roll before you really see a visible change. But as you get further down that roll, even taking off a little more is very apparent. The same is true with your body. The first place you're going to see greater definition is at those areas where the fat deposits are relatively thin already. For most people, this is around the shoulders and clavicles. Another reason why this is important is that advertisers often prey on the belief that fat can be "spot-reduced." All the twisty ab-crunchers on the market are perfect examples. Basically, these companies get a fitness model that has followed months or years of weight training, aerobics, and proper nutrition, and have them roll back and forth in one of these things, as if they actually got in shape that way. Or look at all the books promising to help you lose fat "for your type" - pear shaped, apple shaped, dodecahedron shaped - you name it. It's true, for example, that people who are insulin resistant tend to store more fat in the midsection, and that women tend to store more fat in the thigh area. But so what? If you lose the fat, it comes off EVERYWHERE. If a problem area looks "too fat", training that area with exercise may very well improve the definition of the underlying muscles and the overall form of that area. But it will not accelerate fat loss relative to other parts of your body. If the body didn't lose fat uniformly, we'd all wobble around like Weebles because our relatively fixed bone and muscle structure wouldn't be able to tolerate the variation. The best way to change the size of your body is through caloric deficits. The best way to change the shape is through resistance training. The one thing you need to achieve a total physique and fitness transformation is to do EVERYTHING - aerobics, intervals, resistance training, cross-training (physiologist Covert Bailey calls these the "four food groups of exercise"), small frequent meals, high-quality protein and carbohydrates, low-glycemic nutrition, proper supplementation, water, and rest. So again, if you're looking for results in the mirror, look for the first signs of improved definition at those areas where muscle is relatively close to the surface. For most people, this is the upper chest and shoulder area. You should definitely be keeping track of how your clothes feel. Go to the closet and pick out an outfit that's just a little too tight. Put it aside. Waist measurements can also capture fat loss that isn't necessarily evident in the mirror. Day by day, you're trying to measure your progress in the mirror, on the scale, with calipers, and so on. The problem is that all of the changes are taking place under the skin, along with a lot of other things you can't see, like increased blood volume and fluid retention. Don't place too much emphasis on numbers such as scale weight, fat weight and estimated muscle gain until the changes become significant as a proportion of your body weight. Until then, it's just next to impossible to get a reliable reading, because the tools you are using all have measurement error. A meaningless two-millimeter caliper error translates into about 2.5% bodyfat, and can drive some people to tears. And as I explain on my Q&A page, the muscle gain figure can easily be off by 4% of body weight. If you're easily frustrated, brace yourself when you step on the scale. Just on the basis of water retention, digestive contents and other factors, your scale weight is going to fluctuate by as much as 3-4% of body weight almost on a weekly basis. If you've eaten a lot of carbs, you'll tend to retain a lot of water for a couple of days. People often freak out about this, thinking they've "gained" 5 pounds because of a single free day. Conversely, people often get excited that they've lost 5 pounds over a few days, and think it's all fat. Then the scale jumps up again, and they get upset and give up on their programs. Please don't take these fluctuations seriously. Think of it this way. A woman doing relatively well on her fitness program might be losing over 1 pound of fat a week, while gaining a fraction of a pound of muscle. So while she might be on track to lose 12-15 pounds of fat and gain a few pounds of lean muscle over 12 weeks, by the 5th week she might be looking at a scale change of less than 4 pounds. And since that's about the weight of a meal and a couple of glasses of water, she may not even see the scale move at all. This is especially true at high bodyfat levels, where shifts in water retention over a monthly cycle can be quite large. But gradually, the changes are happening anyway, as long as she doesn't give up. For women at high bodyfat levels, progress may not show for weeks at a time. The reason is that your readings will zig-zag within their downward path. If you measure from a peak in weight to a recent trough, you'll be elated at the "jump" in your progress. But other times you'll get atrough-to-peak reading and be totally frustrated. Don't extrapolate either of these impressions. Chart your numbers and measure progress from peak-to-peak or trough-to-trough. Why measure waist circumference? Well, insulin resistant individuals often have significant visceral fat deposits in the abdominal area (fat around the organs). This depot is reduced somewhat faster than subcutaneous fat. Often neither the scale nor caliper measurements will capture the full extent of fat loss, and tracking waist circumference using a tape measure can indicate fat loss that may not be apparent otherwise. You might also keep a tight fitting skirt or pair of pants in the closet and just try putting it on every couple of weeks. Bodyfat percentages of 6-14% for men and 12-18% for women are generally considered "lean". Those lower bounds should be respected. Women with significantly less than 12% bodyfat typically wreak havoc with their estrogen regulation, and put themselves at risk for osteoporosis. Below 6% for men and 12% for women is not healthy (a lot of nutrients rely on fat-solubility to be stored in the body). Conversely, bodybuilders only have to gain a few percent in fat in order to look unfit. Men generally need bodyfat at about 9-11% to look "cut". That's really when you'll see that "six-pack" in the abdominals (you actually already have a six-pack - everybody does - it's just that you may need some fat reduction to show it). The percentage is closer to 14-16% for women. Physiologist Covert Bailey notes that in women, the thighs typically begin to slim noticeably at about 18% bodyfat. Think of a roll of paper towels. As you unroll it, you can take off a lot of paper and not see much effect. But as you get further along, even taking off a small amount of paper from the roll will thin that baby down to the cardboard. Depending on where you started, it may take more than a few months to get there (which is fine ). How much muscle gain is reasonable? In general, even a fraction of a pound a week is great, and a pound a week is outstanding. If you calculate that you've gained several pounds of muscle a week, with a similarly dramatic fat loss, you've probably either overestimated your initial bodyfat level, or underestimated your current bodyfat level. As Lee Haney (who has won more consecutive Mr. Olympia titles than anyone in bodybuilding) states "The first year you train steadily, you might be fortunate enough to put on 20 pounds of muscle, but the second year it may be only 10, the third only 6, and the fourth only 4-5. Since it gets harder and harder to make gains in lean body mass, I'm happy with an average of 2-3 new pounds yearly." Muscle gains can be unusually fast for beginners, but be realistic in your goals and progress estimates. How much fat loss is reasonable? Well, as noted in the calories section above, it's not unreasonable to target fat loss of as much as 1 to 2 lbs a week for women, and as much as 2 - 3 lbs a week for men. But be honest with yourself. You¢ll only get those kinds of results with planned discipline of your food intake and exercise habits. Muscle does not weigh more than fat no more than 5 pounds of feathers weighs less than 5 pounds of steel! Think for a moment....A POUND is a POUND no matter if its fat steel feathers or muscle!Fat takes up more room than muscle, but they weigh the same. If I hear muscle weighs more than fat one more time I think my head will explode...Look at the picture. 5 pounds of each...That's why your clothes are looser!!

I've been reading this thread for a little while maybe I'll try to contribute a little. I have been going 6 days a week for a little more than a month following Randy Reed's bodyforlife program somewhat. I am almost 30, and have been overweight since forever. I'm 6'2", January 5th I weighed 280, I'm down to 247 with a goal of 215 by August.Anyway today did upper bodyIncline Press, Flyes, Dumbbell rows, Lat pulldowns, shoulder press, reverse flyes, hammer curls, preacher curls, tri pulldowns, and tri dumbbell presses. Wow, I bored myself typing that out.I'm up to about 2 miles without stopping but it takes me over 20 minutes to get there. Trying to improve on distance rather than time at the moment, although I only run for distance once a week, the other 2 cardio days I do the bodyforlife cardio workout that RR has described.A couple questions:Is there an advantage to working out with a sweatshirt on rather than just a t-shirt, other than just sweating more? I see guys all the time with sweatshirts, I sweat enough.After the first workout or two of this program I was so sore that I could barely move the muscles I had worked. Now, they get tired during the workout but the next day I really don't feel too much soreness maybe just a tiny bit of fatigue. Am I not working hard enough, or is this just normal?

Wow, what a great thread, I'm surprised I havn't seen it before. I read through the first 8 pages and found too many comments to continue trying to respond so I just skipped through to the end. Hopefully I'll try to contribute a little bit to this.

So I joined a gym last Friday. Been six times in eight days. Things are going well.My goal is to get into good enough shape to complete a beginner's triathlon (375-m swim; 10K bike; 2.5K run) in the summer.I'm 42, 202 lbs (down about five or six from before xmas).I live in a fairly small town and there's only one gym. It's reasonably well-equipped... half-a-dozen treadmills, three rowing machine, five or so stationary bikes, couple stair climbers, four elliptical machines. There's a decent amount of free weights and all the standard weight machines.Right now I'm focussing on increasing my cardio, i've lived a very sedentary life for too many years.For three of the last four nights, i've done 30 minutes on the elliptical machine, first at level 1, then at level 2, tonight at level 3 for 20 minutes and level 4 for 10 minutes. I then went and did some upper body work on the machines (bench, military, chest, bicep, tri) and I end every session with crunches on this machinepower_crunch_600.jpg.One of my main questions is, should I do cardio first, then weights? or the other way around. Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.If there's interest, this could be a place where we post our results and try to encourage each other.thank you for listening.bye
You should do a slight cardio early to get the muscles warmed up and blood flowing. That is about all you need this for. It depends on what your workout was for to determine how much cardio you do at the end. If yoru trying to build muscle, I would keep cardio to a more minimum of no longer than 20 minutes. If you want more endurance out of your body, then longer than 20 minutes is alright.
I plan on rejoining the gym soon and getting my flat stomach back.As for the cardio question, here's what I did when I used to go to the gym:Start with 15 minutes light cardio.Hit the weights.End with 25 minutes of heavy cardio. (The last 5 minutes were usually a cool down period for me at a low intensity level).That worked for me, but you should also experiment and do whatever works best for you.One thing that I'm pretty sure has been proven for fat loss is interval training. Work at your normal pace for 5 minutes, and then up the intensity for 1 minute, and then go back to normal pace. Rinse and repeat.Good luck!
YES. A definte proven fat burner.
Hint: Get Men's Health mag.
I absolutely agree. They always try to show different ways to mix up simple workouts like pushups and stuff to keep it challenging. I love their different food recipes.
Agreed. I'm walking the fine line between going too easy and going too hard.But I actually increased the weights on all the upper body machines i used, to the point I struggled to complete my third set of 10. Either I'm becoming a little more accustomed to pushing weights around or i need to push a little harder. I'll keep ramping things up.
This is good if your trying to build muscle. As soon as you can push that last rep of 10 on thelast set, wait just a couple workouts to let your muscles readjust and add weight. You always want muscles pushing.
Jeff creatine will also make you retain water, be careful. You may gain 6-10 pounds the first week you are on creatine. I personally hated it, I always felt bloated, and unless you are trying to get ripped/bigger there is no need for it. Basically it pumps more water into your muscles so you can push on them harder, causing them to rip and repair more and faster.From what I understand you are trying to lose weight and get into shape to do a trithelon, not see how much you can bench. IMO this would be slightly counter-productive.
Creatine helps your muscles retain water yes, but the easiest way to explain it is that creatine helps keep the protein your hopefully taking also in your muscles longer, to speed recovery.
Holy Crap...I just looked up some nutrition info...My daily breakfast consists of a Tim Horton's sesame bagel, toasted buttered, and a large coffee, half a cream.The bagel and i'm assuming 1 oz. of butter is 450 calories with 54 g. of Carbs. Yikes.so today I switched to having a Carnation Instant Breakfast. 130 cals or so, mixed in a cup of 1% milk. And then a coffee.Got to be better, yes?Any other alternatives? I'd really like to cut back on carbs in my diet and increase protein. Should I get protein powder, maybe make a shake in the morning?
When I was really pushing workouts and losing weight to gain muscle, I would eat 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal in the morning made with water. When it was done in the microwave, I would add a little splash of milk, a cup full of blueberries, and one scoop of protein powder. mix it up and I would feel great all day.
I've been reading this thread for a little while maybe I'll try to contribute a little. I have been going 6 days a week for a little more than a month following Randy Reed's bodyforlife program somewhat. I am almost 30, and have been overweight since forever. I'm 6'2", January 5th I weighed 280, I'm down to 247 with a goal of 215 by August.Anyway today did upper bodyIncline Press, Flyes, Dumbbell rows, Lat pulldowns, shoulder press, reverse flyes, hammer curls, preacher curls, tri pulldowns, and tri dumbbell presses. Wow, I bored myself typing that out.I'm up to about 2 miles without stopping but it takes me over 20 minutes to get there. Trying to improve on distance rather than time at the moment, although I only run for distance once a week, the other 2 cardio days I do the bodyforlife cardio workout that RR has described.A couple questions:Is there an advantage to working out with a sweatshirt on rather than just a t-shirt, other than just sweating more? I see guys all the time with sweatshirts, I sweat enough.After the first workout or two of this program I was so sore that I could barely move the muscles I had worked. Now, they get tired during the workout but the next day I really don't feel too much soreness maybe just a tiny bit of fatigue. Am I not working hard enough, or is this just normal?
This might be your diet. After a strong workout you shoudl just feel the soreness the next day. If your feeling fatigued you are probably not getting enough nutrients into your body after a workout. If you are trying to lose fat/gain muscle, I would recommend more of a 2-1 protein/carb mix after workouts. Regarding the sweatshirt thing, it really depends. It's almost hard to explain, raising your body temperature helps you to burn calories, which helps to lose weight. This is really the basis for thermogenisis, the "scientifically proven" way Hydroxcut and other diet pills say they cut fat. Sweatshirts also helps you sweat, retain body heat, which helps you lose water weight. I used to run 3 miles a day wearing a sauna suit under my clothes which would make me drench with sweat, but for all that fluid you put out, your body needs back. You have to take in fluids as you sweat or your body will take the time to rehydrate your body, instead of repairing your muscles. Definitely wear a sweatshirt if you like, actually, just try a long sleeve for a while as a mild transition bridge between the two to see if you like it.
That and people who do squats on the smith machine. It's apparently incredibly bad for your knees and back but people like it because they don't have to stabilize the bar and it "doesn't hurt their backs/necks".
OK, so what the hell is the smith machine for if not for squats? I see people doing bench presses under it, but I always thought it was meant for squats. BTW, I looked into it some more and I will no longer be using it for squats, just don't know what it's for?Also, does anyone use a pre-workout supplement? My cousin swears that it makes a huge difference in how intense of a workout he's able to do with the caffeine pre-workout thing. Anyone have any experience?

Missed Yesterday and I am going to miss tonight! This week has been insane and i might not even be able to make it tomorrow. What do you do when you miss the gym for three days? Is there anything to be done with zero time? I wish I didn't have to work this much this week? ISAL ... oh well I will get in a good workout on thursday. The shoulder is feeling way better so I will check that with some weights when I do go back!

Don't even weigh yourself. If you just have to do it about every 2 weeks minimum. Your weight can flux up to 5 lbs everyday naturally.

Glad to see there's been a lot of activity in here. Back from my hiatus tonight and hoping to get up to 4.0 miles in around 30 minutes by the end of the week. Keep after it, everyone.

I've been every day this week. Doing the HIIT I'm up to 8.5 on the treadmill for my peak intensity and it has gotten to be fairly easy. Feeling pretty good, and I think the protein suggestion from Shark has helped. After I looked into it further, I decided to give it a go, it's kinda hard to get 150g of protein without eating either tuna all freaking day, or ingesting tons of fat, or drinking shakes all day, or having tons of calories as well. Oh well, I eat a chicken breast a can of tuna, and some beans just about every day along with protein shakes after lifting. If you need motivation to cut fat, there is a thread on bodybuilding.com's forums that should help in that department:Transformation thread

OK, so what the hell is the smith machine for if not for squats? I see people doing bench presses under it, but I always thought it was meant for squats. BTW, I looked into it some more and I will no longer be using it for squats, just don't know what it's for?Also, does anyone use a pre-workout supplement? My cousin swears that it makes a huge difference in how intense of a workout he's able to do with the caffeine pre-workout thing. Anyone have any experience?
A pre workout shake is almost as good as a post. It puts nutrients into your msucles when it is straining to push up that last rep and helps to let your workouts go longer because your muscles become drained at a later point. I hear energy drinks pre workouts do great to also help this mainly due to the ingredient Taurine, for some scientific reason I can't remember. Pro body builders eat a cup full of gummy bears pre to give them a little carb spike which I heard helps make workouts more intense.
I've been every day this week. Doing the HIIT I'm up to 8.5 on the treadmill for my peak intensity and it has gotten to be fairly easy. Feeling pretty good, and I think the protein suggestion from Shark has helped. After I looked into it further, I decided to give it a go, it's kinda hard to get 150g of protein without eating either tuna all freaking day, or ingesting tons of fat, or drinking shakes all day, or having tons of calories as well. Oh well, I eat a chicken breast a can of tuna, and some beans just about every day along with protein shakes after lifting. If you need motivation to cut fat, there is a thread on bodybuilding.com's forums that should help in that department:Transformation thread
How much do you currently weigh? Your body can only really process 1-1 grams protein/lbs. The rest mainly is just passed through. Even pro's usually only ingest about 1.5-1 protein/lbs. It is all DIET. Don't worry about ingesting fat, as long as it is GOOD fat. You can eat up to 1/3 of your diet in healthy fats and still lose weight. Your body needs fats for digestion and brain functions. Good fats like nuts, beans, and some fruits are great for your body. Stay away from honey roasted or salted nuts, stuff like that. A handful of almonds is a perfect snack for me in the middle of the day and keeps me satisfied until my next meal.