Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Did a Sal like home workout yesterday. My thighs still hurt.Did some dumbbells work, pushups, crunchs, but the squats with and without dumbbells have someone created this crazy feeling in my thighs that I do not enjoy.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

full two miles tonight. SUCK ON THAT MEXICO.
How'd the legs handle it?I've got a mini-vacation coming up at the end of the week so I'm scaling back a bit for the next few days. Didn't go last night and decided that I'd do some shorter distances tonight and push up the pace to see where I'm at. Tonight I did 1.5 miles in 10:50 and wasn't super-tired afterward. Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll shoot for 2 miles in the 14-14:30 range. Likely closer to the higher end of that range.
How'd the legs handle it?
you know, not all that bad. my right knee tried to give out twice but I pushed through it and it ended up fine. I need to start timing myself. no idea how long I'm taking, and since I'm on a pretty tight schedule, it'd probably be better to try to improve my time on two miles than to try to increase the distance.

So I went to the gym last night and hopped on the bike for 15 minutes at level 8. Then I went and did three sets of abs. Tried to see where my shoulder was at and did some pushups. It is not ready for lifting yet. I am thinking I might have to go see the Dr about this as it has been hurting for almost a month. It's not as bad as it was a month ago, but it is not 100% yet either. So after that I was on the stairmaster for another 10 minutes and then did three more sets of abs and called it a night. then I went to weigh in and found that I gained some weight ... lame! Oh well weight as of last night was 218. My goal is still to get to 200 by summer so we will see how that turns out. I am defining summer as June 1. So I basically have three months to lose 18 pounds.

full two miles tonight. SUCK ON THAT MEXICO.
yeah, superb. I walked home from the bar drunk and it was two miles. But yeah, I've been going Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays the last couple of weeks. Did 41 minutes of cardio and 200 crunches, which are getting easier, so I need to change it up/step it up. But when I finished that, I was going to do some chest, I just said "eff it" and walk out. I need to work on that. Tomorrow is another day.
yeah, superb. I walked home from the bar drunk and it was two miles. But yeah, I've been going Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays the last couple of weeks. Did 41 minutes of cardio and 200 crunches, which are getting easier, so I need to change it up/step it up. But when I finished that, I was going to do some chest, I just said "eff it" and walk out. I need to work on that. Tomorrow is another day.
I COULD RUN CIRCLES AROUND YOU FATTYhave you tried those alternate ab exercises? like planks and whatnot? from everything I understand, they're a lot better for abs than crunches. and if you think walking out after what you did is bad, try working out at home. it's damn near impossible for me to do my stationary biking on tuesdays and thursdays. I get on, my legs hurt like hell, I'm still ridiculously tired, I can smell my coffee brewing, and it's only 20 feet away. making it through 30 minutes of that ain't easy.
Man, ****ing balls are squats hard
yes they are. I hate them. do dead lifts too; I've heard they're even better than squats for a full body exercise.

2.0 miles, 14:12. Unlike last night, I was pretty fucking tired by the end of it. Tomorrow my goal is 2.5 miles in around 18 minutes. I reserve the right to determine exactly what window of time constitutes "around" 18 minutes. Then a nice little break until next week.

I COULD RUN CIRCLES AROUND YOU FATTYhave you tried those alternate ab exercises? like planks and whatnot? from everything I understand, they're a lot better for abs than crunches. and if you think walking out after what you did is bad, try working out at home. it's damn near impossible for me to do my stationary biking on tuesdays and thursdays. I get on, my legs hurt like hell, I'm still ridiculously tired, I can smell my coffee brewing, and it's only 20 feet away. making it through 30 minutes of that ain't easy.yes they are. I hate them. do dead lifts too; I've heard they're even better than squats for a full body exercise.
Ya i deadlift too, today was squats/overhead press/deadlift
I COULD RUN CIRCLES AROUND YOU FATTYhave you tried those alternate ab exercises? like planks and whatn
yeah, maybe you could run better than I, but put us in a cage and let you take a shot. I'll choke you out, uppercut that mustache right off your face and do some awfully bad jujitsu on your ass buddy. and no, I'll never have a 6pk, I'm just trying to do enough to strengthen my core and be a little tighter
Ya i deadlift too, today was squats/overhead press/deadlift
curious, why are you doing all these type of lifts? Don't you just lift for recreation? These are big lifts for just a "hey, look at my guns" type workout plan. Pardon my ignorance. Are you training for something specific? I mean, I just always thought those were exercises for hardcore athletes and not necessary for the average joe. Not trying to offend, but I know I don't do that shit and have no urge to. A good burn and workout can be achieved without that shit. I hated doing those. Don't mistake what I'm saying, they are great exercises and you're a good man for doing them.
yeah, maybe you could run better than I, but put us in a cage and let you take a shot. I'll choke you out, uppercut that mustache right off your face and do some awfully bad jujitsu on your ass buddy. and no, I'll never have a 6pk, I'm just trying to do enough to strengthen my core and be a little tightercurious, why are you doing all these type of lifts? Don't you just lift for recreation? These are big lifts for just a "hey, look at my guns" type workout plan. Pardon my ignorance. Are you training for something specific? I mean, I just always thought those were exercises for hardcore athletes and not necessary for the average joe. Not trying to offend, but I know I don't do that shit and have no urge to. A good burn and workout can be achieved without that shit. I hated doing those. Don't mistake what I'm saying, they are great exercises and you're a good man for doing them.
I'm lifting solely to add mass for now, ideally I'd like to be adding anywhere from 20-40 lbs over the next year or so, so I'm pretty much just going to be sticking with compound lifts and eating to bulk for a while. Assuming I hit my goals I'll eventually scale back my diet and the workouts in an attempt to cut excess weight but that's a bit down the line.
I'm lifting solely to add mass for now, ideally I'd like to be adding anywhere from 20-40 lbs over the next year or so, so I'm pretty much just going to be sticking with compound lifts and eating to bulk for a while. Assuming I hit my goals I'll eventually scale back my diet and the workouts in an attempt to cut excess weight but that's a bit down the line.
Nice, good luck with that. You doing heavy weights, low reps I assume.Taking anything to help with the weight gain?
Nice, good luck with that. You doing heavy weights, low reps I assume.Taking anything to help with the weight gain?
Ya 3x5 for everything but deadlifts with 3-5 warmup sets (of 5) for every lift. Granted I don't lift very heavy relative to most people doing these lifts, but I lift heavy in regards to what I'm capable of. Only things I really take are whey protein/creatine the rest is basically just working hard in the gym and eating 800-1200 calories over maintenance per day
Ya 3x5 for everything but deadlifts with 3-5 warmup sets (of 5) for every lift. Granted I don't lift very heavy relative to most people doing these lifts, but I lift heavy in regards to what I'm capable of. Only things I really take are whey protein/creatine the rest is basically just working hard in the gym and eating 800-1200 calories over maintenance per day
dude, that's all you have to worry about. Eff those people using heavy weights thinking they're badasses. I used to care a little about that, especially when I was one of the stronger guys in the gym. Now, I couldn't give a shit less. I have relatively weak biceps and I do higher reps, so I have no issues grabbing the 25lb dumbells and doing seated curls with a twist, and I'll see other guys grabbing the 40lb'ers, etc. I'm there for me, to do what I need to do. You have a good plan and seem to be working it. I wish my problem was needing to add bulk but I'd imagine it's just as annoying for you to add is it is for me to take off.
dude, that's all you have to worry about. Eff those people using heavy weights thinking they're badasses. I used to care a little about that, especially when I was one of the stronger guys in the gym. Now, I couldn't give a shit less. I have relatively weak biceps and I do higher reps, so I have no issues grabbing the 25lb dumbells and doing seated curls with a twist, and I'll see other guys grabbing the 40lb'ers, etc. I'm there for me, to do what I need to do. You have a good plan and seem to be working it. I wish my problem was needing to add bulk but I'd imagine it's just as annoying for you to add is it is for me to take off.
Ya whenever i feel girly about what i'm lifting I just look around at everybody's form and laugh and then I feel better. There are worse problems in life than needing to eat to gain weight, it can get annoying when I'm not hungry but need to get calories but that's aboot it. I imagine cutting weight is prob a bit more difficult.
I imagine cutting weight is prob a bit more difficult.
YES!!! Don't ever let your weight get away from you. EVERTotally agree with the bad form people. Watching old men workout is really funny. They make up exercises and just push the weights around
YES!!! Don't ever let your weight get away from you. EVERTotally agree with the bad form people. Watching old men workout is really funny. They make up exercises and just push the weights around
Ya, I'm not too concerned for now, my metabolism seems to be super high, so I'm having some trouble gaining mass, I seem to be burning some fat around my stomach area which I can't really explain since I'm eating at a surplus (I think). If my metabolism slows down and I start eating again like I used to I'll get fat pretty quickly, but right now I'm struggling to gain weight at all. As for the old people, ya you see some pretty crazy shit. I see a lot of elderly dudes on the machines just spacing the **** out looking off in the distance occasionally doing a rep or two it's bizarre. I kind of like watching the old people just milling about, it's nice to see their at least making an effort, even if their workouts are pretty poor. What I don't like is people who do curls or w/e and leave the curl bars on the floor with clamps, and weights and just ****ing leave, or really anybody who does this anywhere in the weight room. That and people who do squats on the smith machine. It's apparently incredibly bad for your knees and back but people like it because they don't have to stabilize the bar and it "doesn't hurt their backs/necks". The weights being left around on the floor is probably mostly do to the fact that I constantly workout at about 4:30 which is like perfect time for all the high school kids to come in and crank out some assisted bench press reps where the bar gets halfway to their chest.
I'll do some awfully bad jujitsu on your ass buddy.
I wanted to be Sal's ass buddy, but not if that means you're going to do bad jujitsu on me.
Hey guys. I started a thread awhile ago. Anyway, I lost 15 lbs this month. 25 more to go, but things are looking good!
That's awesome, I started one once too. Didn't go that well. I'm on my way down, but I refuse to get on a scale until the one month point (I feel like I've lost about 10 pounds, two more weeks and I can check). I'm planning to join a gym after I diet off 30-40 pounds, and I'm already dreading it. I'd love to have that exercise gene where you really enjoy going to the gym everyday, but I've never had it and I doubt I ever will.
I'd love to have that exercise gene where you really enjoy going to the gym everyday, but I've never had it and I doubt I ever will.
If you keep at it for a while and see some progress, it makes it a lot easier to go on a regular basis. I wouldn't say I enjoy going to the gym, but I've definitely reached a point where I can tolerate it and feel lazy if I don't. I guess that's good. So, 2.5 miles in "around" 18 minutes means 17:47 I guess. Pretty happy with that.
Ya, I'm not too concerned for now, my metabolism seems to be super high, so I'm having some trouble gaining mass, I seem to be burning some fat around my stomach area which I can't really explain since I'm eating at a surplus (I think). If my metabolism slows down and I start eating again like I used to I'll get fat pretty quickly, but right now I'm struggling to gain weight at all. As for the old people, ya you see some pretty crazy shit. I see a lot of elderly dudes on the machines just spacing the **** out looking off in the distance occasionally doing a rep or two it's bizarre. I kind of like watching the old people just milling about, it's nice to see their at least making an effort, even if their workouts are pretty poor. What I don't like is people who do curls or w/e and leave the curl bars on the floor with clamps, and weights and just ****ing leave, or really anybody who does this anywhere in the weight room. That and people who do squats on the smith machine. It's apparently incredibly bad for your knees and back but people like it because they don't have to stabilize the bar and it "doesn't hurt their backs/necks". The weights being left around on the floor is probably mostly do to the fact that I constantly workout at about 4:30 which is like perfect time for all the high school kids to come in and crank out some assisted bench press reps where the bar gets halfway to their chest.
I wrote a rant post in this thread about shit at the gym that annoys me and not clearing the weights kills me. I have squated on the smith machine. It was more for in case my knee gave out. But I did think of you and our "conversation" last night. I did chest today and I used to warm up with 225lbs and go up from there. Today, I did 225lbs 4 times, coulda got 6 if I had a spotter behind me, not for the help, but for the security. I've had to dump weight or have weight pulled off of me while benching before, so never again. I'll always stop 2 reps short of what I can do. Point is, half of me is upset that I'm not that strong any longer, especially for my size, the other have doesn't give a shit.
I wanted to be Sal's ass buddy, but not if that means you're going to do bad jujitsu on me.
There's more than enough room to ride that ass. My jujitsu is bad, awful actually. I have no form, since I've had no "formal" training. I mean, I've watched at least 5 tutorials for moves on ESPN.com's MMA page.
That's awesome, I started one once too. Didn't go that well. I'm on my way down, but I refuse to get on a scale until the one month point (I feel like I've lost about 10 pounds, two more weeks and I can check). I'm planning to join a gym after I diet off 30-40 pounds, and I'm already dreading it. I'd love to have that exercise gene where you really enjoy going to the gym everyday, but I've never had it and I doubt I ever will.
You should weigh yourself at least every two weeks, just to see the progress and help dangle that carrot. Doing cardio will help you "diet off" the weight faster, speed up your metabolism and help your overall health. Think about it. Although, if you feel that way about the gym and have never been a workout guy, save your money on the gym membership. It's not going to change. Paying a monthly membership bill won't motivate you to go. Look on Craigslist, etc and maybe get some basic home equip. A cardio machine, a bench and some interchangeable dumb bells. If you do them for a couple of months, you're golden60 minutes of cardio 30/30 bike/ellip200 crunches8 sets of chestbench, pec dec