Official I Joined A Gym Thread

I have no idea of how to pace myself or how fast i'm going other than a generic feeling for the most part. I generally time the entire run but that's about it.I know there are watches and things that supposedly help but I am pretty new to this and wouldn't begin to know what to look for. I did see an ad fora Garmin type watch that supposedly did it all and could be downloaded to the computer but it seemed a tad pricey. I know iphone has aps as well but I don't have one of those either.In any case I am gaining some speed and distance and i've been really focused on doing the evolution running style though it will likely take me a year to be proficient at it. I'm also thinking of trying barefoot or minimalist but that won't be till spring since it's getting to cold to get started on that adventure.
i don't know either lol, i know those numbers because I run on the treadmill.
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

worked out b4 work today. i hardly ever do that but couldn't sleep that well.quick workout. ran 3k in about 17:30. first half was faster than the 2nd half. sweated a lot though. did some lat pullups and bicep curls. showered then to work.

I didn't feel like running at all yesterday but I made myself get out there. Got in 1.75 miles. I use mapmyrun.com in order to figure out the mileage outside in case anyone is interested. I haven't timed myself yet but I know that I am running slow. I figure once my body is used to actual running, then I can really try to improve on things.

I didn't feel like running at all yesterday but I made myself get out there. Got in 1.75 miles. I use mapmyrun.com in order to figure out the mileage outside in case anyone is interested. I haven't timed myself yet but I know that I am running slow. I figure once my body is used to actual running, then I can really try to improve on things.
I use that as well and I think it's great. I use that for distance and time myself. I did an ab workout (bosu) which really hits the core and some running exercises, then in the afternoon did some sprintsto try and work on speed. Could not wake up this morning and my legs felt dead so I am going to run Sunday, take Monday off from runningand do upper body and then do the 5K run Tuesday.

rolled for a couple hours with some army guys, pretty happy with myself, subbed them all, all bigger than me and they work out 24/7 while i drink for a livingFEAR MY SKILLS!

rolled for a couple hours with some army guys, pretty happy with myself, subbed them all, all bigger than me and they work out 24/7 while i drink for a livingFEAR MY SKILLS!
Skated this morning with a bunch of old dudes. They skated circles around me, all old bastards who drink 24/7, while I've been working out a few days a week. F M L
ha ha, kick some army ass gooch!
was hitting sweeps all over the place and countered his omoplata with a super slick roll to catch him in one and finish with a nasty armbarnice to see the mat time is paying off

What's up guys? I've been busy with a whole bunch of life things including a prop-bet so that I haven't been able to post in awhile. I've become really bored with the standard free weight routine (5x5, Texas Method) and am making the transition for awhile to kettlebell workouts alongside my jiu-jitsu and other cardio work. Hope everyone is doing well.

yahhhh!!!!!ive been drinking far too much lately too.
What's up guys? I've been busy with a whole bunch of life things including a prop-bet so that I haven't been able to post in awhile. I've become really bored with the standard free weight routine (5x5, Texas Method) and am making the transition for awhile to kettlebell workouts alongside my jiu-jitsu and other cardio work. Hope everyone is doing well.
welcome back socal. missed your posts of your 5 by 5 workoutsas for me. ran 10k fri, 5k sat and 10k sun. feel good about that. 10k takes me 57 min. not fast but i'm happy that i can do it. I'm honestly dying by the end.

Took a few days off and started to feel fat, so I ran 2.75 miles on Sunday. Still not timing it and not really judging any exact distances. I ran till I was tired, then checked out on Mapmyrun to see how far I went. I think I may start timing next week since I am almost up to running three miles. Was at the book store yesterday and saw the book "Born To Run", i'm too lazy to go back right now, but was that the book you were talking about Randy? It was $25, so I will probably just see if they have it at the library and then decide if I want to add it to my personal book shelf.

Took a few days off and started to feel fat, so I ran 2.75 miles on Sunday. Still not timing it and not really judging any exact distances. I ran till I was tired, then checked out on Mapmyrun to see how far I went. I think I may start timing next week since I am almost up to running three miles. Was at the book store yesterday and saw the book "Born To Run", i'm too lazy to go back right now, but was that the book you were talking about Randy? It was $25, so I will probably just see if they have it at the library and then decide if I want to add it to my personal book shelf.
Yeah, that's the book. The library will have it but there will likely be a wait. Their is a paperback coming out next spring I think which will be cheaper.The audio version might be easier to get as well or used on amazon.

I did a leg workout today, the same one as last week. Went pretty well, upped the weights in everything. Only managed 13 reps on my last set of the day though (we were doing 3 sets of 15), but a great workout nonetheless. I've been just doing 2 days a week with the trainer, but next week I'm going to start doing 3 again. I'm assuming the extra day is going to be a cardio day but I'm not sure. Also this Friday, we're going to do a weighin on the really expensive gym scale, but I'm pretty sure I'm at a new lowpoint right now, around 210! I was down to 211 before I went to Vegas, and then got back up to close to 230 a couple months ago.

sucked at running today, totally died after 2.4 miles, about 3.5 Kish? probably cause I ran 25 k over the last three days and I'm just too tired. also ate ribs and drank wine an hour b4 i hit the gym? dunno, prob both. anyways, did some bench, dips, tricep pulldowns.

Sunday morning I decided to trail run since it was absolutely perfect fall weather. Unfortunately the colored trail markers brown and orange apparently looked the same in my Native polorized sunglasses.Instead of a 3 mile run it turned into an 8 mile adventure. Since I planned on running a short distance I didn'ttake water or anything. I got lucky about 5 miles out and ran into some hikers that gave me water and directions.Unfortunately the directions informed me that I was still 4 or 5 miles from where I needed to go. Running was awesomeinitially, up and down hills (some very steep) under tree cover, through fields, over rocks through creeks etc. It surebeats the same subdivision morning run. So anyway it whipped my ass. I stood there for a while with my hands on my knees and my legs burning wandering if I really screwed myself and if I would make it. Not that I couldn't walk but get a crampor dehydrate or something. Plus I have a bum ankle that was killing me.I took a deep breath and calmed myself down and thought, fuck it, just start over as if it was a brand new run.I made it back okay and actually enjoyed it having some great running stretches mixed in with some walks up the steeper hills.I thought I wouldn't be able to walk Monday but I iced down pretty good when I got home and it's not too bad. I did an ab workouton the bosu Monday and have been avoiding stretching my legs or anything. They're really tight and cramped.The great news is I run my first race tonight, the Ghosts and Goblins 5K. Haha, I hope I can make it through let alone post a good time.Oh well, live and learn.

Sounds like a fun adventure randy! The next couple of times you do the run you will start to know which trail you are on and if you feel like doing the entire 8 miles again!!! Nice work on that.So what kind of sunglasses does everyone wear when running. I sweat A LOT so I usually run without them, however last sunday I did the run at 2 and it was supre bright out. Suggestions?

yahhhh!!!!!ive been drinking far too much lately too. welcome back socal. missed your posts of your 5 by 5 workoutsas for me. ran 10k fri, 5k sat and 10k sun. feel good about that. 10k takes me 57 min. not fast but i'm happy that i can do it. I'm honestly dying by the end.
Dang that's really awesome! When anyone asks about my running I tell them there's nothing i've ever found thatI truly love and hate so much at the same time. I am cursing sometimes doing it but after it's finished I feel great.Mostly I just stay relaxed and go at my own pace and really try to enjoy being outside. I love being able to listento music as well though on the trail run I alternated to be able to hear the sounds.
Sounds like a fun adventure randy! The next couple of times you do the run you will start to know which trail you are on and if you feel like doing the entire 8 miles again!!! Nice work on that.So what kind of sunglasses does everyone wear when running. I sweat A LOT so I usually run without them, however last sunday I did the run at 2 and it was supre bright out. Suggestions?
I am addicted to Native sunglasses. They are very lightwight and you can't shake them off your head if you tried. The lenses are excellent, scratch resistant, polarized and come with a lifetime warranty. I recently petty much just smashed my pair but sent them back and they gave me new ones. I wore them virtually every day for a year. Work, biking, running, cutting grass going out, what ever. They come with 4 lenses that you can switch around as well for different lighting. Ebay usually has deals but go somewhere and try them on first to get the right size and style.

just got back to teaching classes yesterday, will force me to do some more cardio and work off the shit load of beer i've been drinkingfeeling it a bit today, more so in the joints than the muscles

Finally felt good enough to try a 5K. Finished it in 35:22, not really as good as I wanted but it's a start. At least I pushed on and made myself do it. I am hoping to be able to keep this as my minimum run and branch out to longer runs. My legs are starting to feel better, so hopefully that is a good sign.

Finally felt good enough to try a 5K. Finished it in 35:22, not really as good as I wanted but it's a start. At least I pushed on and made myself do it. I am hoping to be able to keep this as my minimum run and branch out to longer runs. My legs are starting to feel better, so hopefully that is a good sign.
glad to see people are still running and working out. I haven't gone to the gym since sat. time to go tonite.

I don't like this whole timing thing ... I am finding out how slow I really run!! Did 2.5 miles last night in 31:13. Part of this was a hill and I had to walk some of it, but I think my lungs are getting a little bit better. I feel good about the running, I just hope that the time starts to improve as well as the distance. I really want to be able to just get out and run 8 - 10 miles without batting an eye ... however i know that is going to take some time to get to that point!