Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Nice, way to get started.When I start running in the morning it's early and I'm tired so I barely jog for a while. After I get goingand start to breathe easier I can pick up the pace a little the 2nd mile and then I can run a whole lotbetter the third. I'm really looking forward to the tommorow morning to give it another whirl.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I keep my calories between 1500-1700 calories a day. I try to get in 3 meals and a few protein snacks a day.Typical day:Breakfast - 2 eggs and 1 piece of whole grain toastLunch - 4oz-6oz of chicken/fish/beef with vegetable (corn or broccoli) and brown riceAfter workout - Protein shake or bar (most of the time protein shake because it has less calories, less sugar and more protein)Dinner - 4oz-6oz of chicken/fish/beef with vegetableI do mix in fruit, other vegetables, unsalted raw nuts and plain yogurt throughout the day to keep fueling the fire.I don't necessarily stick to this 100% of the time but if I'm home and not traveling or going out I try stick to this as much as possible.Also!!!! I ran a 10 minute mile last night and 2.5 miles in 30:42. I haven't ran a 10 minute mile since high school!
Awesome!
I keep my calories between 1500-1700 calories a day. I try to get in 3 meals and a few protein snacks a day.
Yeah, I think you might benefit getting more calories. I dunno your size, but I think one of the guys posted the site where you can calculate the right number. Basically, you're just working out so much than you need the extra calories. Maybe avs or someone will back me up on this one. :club:

Sup health nuts!I joined my first gym the other day, kinda tired of being 26 and 136lbs. Hopefully I'll find some time to read through this entire thread to get some tips from people that know what they're doing. I'm still pretty lost when I walk into the gym, not really knowing what type of stuff to do but hopefully that'll change soon.My biggest problem is I don't really eat much.. I can have a bite of a sandwich and be full for the next 4 or 5 hours so I'm not really sure how to change that. Also, I have a very high metabolism so this gaining weight/muscle is going to be quite the task =\

WednesdayUpper BodyDumbell chest press 3x15x40Bent over cable flys 2x15x50Upright cable rows 3x15x80Seated lat pulldown 3x15x80Dips 3x15 off weight benchpushups off 10lb dumbells 3x15Bicep curl-cable 1x15x80 I'm really liking the dips and need to add some weight I think. Itseems to work the whole muscle better than the other tri exercisesI was doing.The pushups are new (2nd time) as well. I am just getting used to doing them and getting them to where they are hitting the biceps more than the tris but I like them as well.Thursday, 5K epsiode 5.

Yeah, I think you might benefit getting more calories. I dunno your size, but I think one of the guys posted the site where you can calculate the right number. Basically, you're just working out so much than you need the extra calories. Maybe avs or someone will back me up on this one. :club:
I think that if it is working, stick with it. I try to eat around 1600-1700 calories when the charts say I should eat around 2400 and for a long time I lost weight steadily. Whenever I plateau, I'll change it up for a week or two, and eat more. Usually that will jump-start the weight loss again and if I drop back to 1700 calories it will keep coming off. I've lost motivation again however, and have been eating probably close to 2800-3000 a day, but haven't gained any weight back....yet, need to get back to it.
Thanks for the info.I've lost a lot of weight in the last 8 months... I won't give out the amount in pounds but overall I've lost 30% of my original body weight. Pant sizes has gone down 20% as well. I still have more weight I want to get off before the end of the year and it is getting harder and harder as I lose more and more weight. But I keep my calories very low, cook 90% of my meals at home, no soda, no junk food, no fast food, drink lots of water. I had a personal trainer for the first 6 months and the last 2 months I've continued on my own.I meet with my primary care physician and a dietitian every 3 months to determine the appropriate amount of calorie intake and diet. I just decided to make my health a priority in my life and committed to it and have stuck to it.
Awesome stuff. That bolded part is very hard. I workout but eat out tons, drink beer on the weekends, and eat fast food sometimes. If I could cut that shit out I'd be in optimal shape by now but I'd probably be unhappy.
Sup health nuts!I joined my first gym the other day, kinda tired of being 26 and 136lbs. Hopefully I'll find some time to read through this entire thread to get some tips from people that know what they're doing. I'm still pretty lost when I walk into the gym, not really knowing what type of stuff to do but hopefully that'll change soon.My biggest problem is I don't really eat much.. I can have a bite of a sandwich and be full for the next 4 or 5 hours so I'm not really sure how to change that. Also, I have a very high metabolism so this gaining weight/muscle is going to be quite the task =\
In a way, I wish I had that problem. It takes a lot for me to get full.

rolled jits for a while today with a buddy, did some awesome knee on belly work with transitions to and from, think this filled up a big hole in my game as i suck at mount (too light) and really needed something to transition to from side control and north southsubbed him with a wrist lock after starting with him on my back with hooks working position, so stoked as he is miles ahead of me and super strong, one the the best parts of my game is wrist locks as i can spot them all the timework schedule slowing down now so i can start working out more and trying to put back on the muscle i lost over the spring summer, not even sure how much i weigh right now but went climbing the other day and had to cinch up the legs on my harness about 1 inch at least on the legs, the waist i already knew i lost and don't mind, but the legs i need to work or skiing in gonna hurt this winter

funny how?haha?or like i'm a clown?
A little bit of both. It offers a very candid view of his life and he delivers it with unsophisticated prose. I rather enjoyed reading it. some of the content:tidbits about how he basically fought all the time in school growing up. Advice on how to cut weight, get ready for competitions and the reality of being a no name pro (i.e. it's gonna suck)friends of his write interesting anecdotes about himThere's a few pics inserted in the middle of him in fights. How he was so poor that he had no cable, lived in a shithole and watch Good Will Hunting for 2 yrs straight and talked to himself a lot. Some basics of fighting that anyone that's ever taken a few months of martial arts would know. the etiquette of grappling-ie. take a shower, clip your nails, shave your five o clock shadow, change your tshirt if you're sweaty, tape up wounds instead of using bandaids and don't fart on your opponent. getting injured in low tier fights and getting crappy medical care

Ran my 5K this morning. It was pretty tough. I was tired and just couldn't get the enthusiasm going but I toughed it out and finished it. It wasn't so tough physicallyas much as it was mentally I guess. Don't get me wrong, I was sucking wind likean overheated radiator fan. Same time 36 minutes. In thinking about my timeI'm sure the 5K's people run they are warmed up and ready to roll vs. crawlingout of bed at 6 in the morning and doing it.I know working out requires 8 hours of sleep and I don't get it so that might betaking it's toll as well. Not sure what I can do about it though, 6 hours is about my max.

Ran my 5K this morning. It was pretty tough. I was tired and just couldn't get the enthusiasm going but I toughed it out and finished it. It wasn't so tough physicallyas much as it was mentally I guess. Don't get me wrong, I was sucking wind likean overheated radiator fan. Same time 36 minutes. In thinking about my timeI'm sure the 5K's people run they are warmed up and ready to roll vs. crawlingout of bed at 6 in the morning and doing it.I know working out requires 8 hours of sleep and I don't get it so that might betaking it's toll as well. Not sure what I can do about it though, 6 hours is about my max.
I admire people that can workout in the morning b4 work. I just can't do it. That's why I always workout after work. Getting out of bed at 6 am to workout (run 5k) is impressive. Try running after work one day. It might be easier when you can have some carbs a couple of hours b4 you run.
rolled jits for a while today with a buddy, did some awesome knee on belly work with transitions to and from, think this filled up a big hole in my game as i suck at mount (too light) and really needed something to transition to from side control and north southsubbed him with a wrist lock after starting with him on my back with hooks working position, so stoked as he is miles ahead of me and super strong, one the the best parts of my game is wrist locks as i can spot them all the timework schedule slowing down now so i can start working out more and trying to put back on the muscle i lost over the spring summer, not even sure how much i weigh right now but went climbing the other day and had to cinch up the legs on my harness about 1 inch at least on the legs, the waist i already knew i lost and don't mind, but the legs i need to work or skiing in gonna hurt this winter
I prefer working from side control against a more skilled opponent because the attacks are endless (and I feel like I have much more control/stabler base) as opposed to the mount, however against a weaker opponent I'll take the mount all day ala Roger Gracie. If you're ever down here in the SD area, we should roll.
I admire people that can workout in the morning b4 work. I just can't do it. That's why I always workout after work. Getting out of bed at 6 am to workout (run 5k) is impressive. Try running after work one day. It might be easier when you can have some carbs a couple of hours b4 you run.
I work long days and don't get home till 8 or 9 at night so waiting till then isn't an option. I've done it for so long now that i'm used to it. I never feel like when I get up I just don't think about it, get some coffee and try to stretch a little. It takes me half hour or more to get going. As I'm going the heartrate picks up, the music helps immensely and i'm fine about half way through the work out. It definately makes me alot more alert during the day and I usually am dragging all day if I don't do something in the morning.
I prefer working from side control against a more skilled opponent because the attacks are endless (and I feel like I have much more control/stabler base) as opposed to the mount, however against a weaker opponent I'll take the mount all day ala Roger Gracie. If you're ever down here in the SD area, we should roll.
I don't have a clue whether you guys are talking MMA or the jui jitsu, lol. I actually took some karate when I was younger but it's just a rudimentary understanding of the basics. I suppose that's why I'm learning to run, if we get in a fight I want to be able to get the hell away, haha.
I work long days and don't get home till 8 or 9 at night so waiting till then isn't an option. I've done it for so long now that i'm used to it. I never feel like when I get up I just don't think about it, get some coffee and try to stretch a little. It takes me half hour or more to get going. As I'm going the heartrate picks up, the music helps immensely and i'm fine about half way through the work out. It definately makes me alot more alert during the day and I usually am dragging all day if I don't do something in the morning.I don't have a clue whether you guys are talking MMA or the jui jitsu, lol. I actually took some karate when I was younger but it's just a rudimentary understanding of the basics. I suppose that's why I'm learning to run, if we get in a fight I want to be able to get the hell away, haha.
Start watching some ufc and you will pick it up quick. Well, the lingo anyways and at least you know what it looks like.
Man am I sore today.
Yah, i was really sore yesterday from blasting my pecs the previous day. Thus I only did cardio yesterday. Back to the weights after work today. I think my main workout buddy isn't gonna last much longer. When I was a way for 2 weeks he didn't go once by himself. This week, he's already bailed on me once. It's too bad, it's hard to do bench without a spotter.

Didn't get to run last night but I did play tennis for 2 hours so at least I did something. Played on Monday as well and it wore me out after about an hour so already I feel like I am getting some stamina back. Will try and run before going out tonight.

I wanted to go today really bad, but the combination of being crazy tired, and ridiculously sore, I think I'll try to do it tomorrow. I think those deadlifts killed me. I've never really done them before.