Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Saturday I slept in and took an off day. My legs were still pretty shot from the run and bosu anyway. Sunday the wife's back was hurting so I decided to ride the bike around town. I rode for 2 hours andprobably about 20 miles or so. Riding in town is tougher than the bike trails due to the hills but i'm gettingpretty used to it so it wasn't a problem. It definately gives the legs a workout though.Monday, I did upper body and tried the dips for the tris. I did 3 sets of 15 (no weight) and it definatelypumped them up. It didn't seem to be working well at first but by the end they were burning pretty good.I'll definately keep doing them for a while and maybe add some weight.Planning a 3K run for tommorow outside.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well ran the 5K (3.2 miles) this morning outside. First time i've run outside in well, I can't remember. Probably high school 30 years ago, lol.Anyway it went pretty well. I am used to running sprints and then walking and a couple times I did have to walk a bit but I actuallyended up way stronger than I began and had a fast pace the last mile or so. I did some looking and in late October there is a 5K i'm going to run and then Thanksgiving is an 8K.

I did a great leg workout on saturday ... then we went to a party and I got waaaaay to drunk to think about the gym on sunday. We tried a hike instead and I was dying the whole time. Yesterday I was about to go but at the last minute I decided to rest ... first bad decision i've made in a while regarding the gym. Normally I am amped to go after a day off. Tonight I plan to go and do Back / Chest workout. I have an appt to get all my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow, so we will see if that affects my workout for wednesday and Thursday.

I did a great leg workout on saturday ... then we went to a party and I got waaaaay to drunk to think about the gym on sunday. We tried a hike instead and I was dying the whole time. Yesterday I was about to go but at the last minute I decided to rest ... first bad decision i've made in a while regarding the gym. Normally I am amped to go after a day off. Tonight I plan to go and do Back / Chest workout. I have an appt to get all my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow, so we will see if that affects my workout for wednesday and Thursday.
I got drunk last Saturday night for the first time in ages and it's tough to try to do anything afterwards. I think it takes that a while to get going but afterwards it's wonders for a hangover.Oh and thanks TRB for the BMI and links to fitday. I've played around with it and have a diet pretty much down. I have a pretty good ideaof what i'm eating and how many calories now which should really help with trying to get the last of this weight off.Basically my meals are1.Protien shake with skim milk -200c2.tuna with a few whole wheat crackers- 200c3.fat free cottage cheese with some fruit or salad- 200c4-turkey on lite whole grain - 200cleaving me plenty of room for a decent dinner in the evening and even a fat free pudding for a late snack. I've been drinking alot of water with i so i haven't been hungry.

off to do some boxing for a while, been very slack on working out lately, trying to get some weight back first, hope there are some hot chicks at this class, they want me to take over teaching it for the fall, that would be a bonus

Great workout last night. I got my first set of pull ups to 8, so that was cool. Kept the bench press the same weight. I did 3 x 12 x 115. Felt pretty goog about it so I might try to up the weight to 125 on the next chest day.It's supposed to be leg day today, but I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled in 3 hours ... whee? Not sure if I will make it, but it does bring up a question. If I miss a day, should I just do the leg day tomorrow, or should I move to my shoulder / arm workout? That way the rest time doesn't get messed with? In the past if I lose a day then I would just do the workout that i missed and then move back on. Thoughts?

Great workout last night. I got my first set of pull ups to 8, so that was cool. Kept the bench press the same weight. I did 3 x 12 x 115. Felt pretty goog about it so I might try to up the weight to 125 on the next chest day.It's supposed to be leg day today, but I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled in 3 hours ... whee? Not sure if I will make it, but it does bring up a question. If I miss a day, should I just do the leg day tomorrow, or should I move to my shoulder / arm workout? That way the rest time doesn't get messed with? In the past if I lose a day then I would just do the workout that i missed and then move back on. Thoughts?
Not sure it matters. I take one day a week off and if something happens and I miss a day I just use that as the off day. I would go ahead and do the legs the next chance you get. Good luck with the teeth and don't take too many vicodans while you're working out, ha.

Well, at least i'm keeping the thread alive. I made the second outside attempt at the 5K this morning and made it throughwithout stopping for a walk or breather. I actually ran full out the last 100 yards.When I made it back to the driveway the wifey was in the garage and I startedpumping my arms in the air like Rocky and she was dying laughing at me.I was not sure I could even run when I woke up, tired and sore from working outand a cat that wants to wake me at all hours. I started slow for a long while but gradually increased the speed and hung tough. This wouldn't seem like a feet to someone that runs alot but realize 6 months agoI was a total fatass drunk and the most I lifted was a 12--pack.

went climbing for a few hours today, been a while, i sucked but the 15 lbs i lost sure helped pull my skinny ass up the 10.b for first day of hte season

Been out for 2 days on Vicodin. Apparently when you get your teeth pulled in your 30's there might be one that is harder to get at then the others. so, I am trying to make it through the day with no vicodin but I might need to take some cause it's getting to that point already. Hoping to be able to get back to the gym tomorrow at the latest...

I have never posted in this thread but I wanted to see what you guys thought about what happened to me this week.For the last 8 months I've put myself on a strict diet and exercise program and have been doing really well and been losing weight and seeing excellent results.My typical week is Monday, Wednesday, Friday = Weight training (full body workouts). Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday = Cardio (1/2 hour on the treadmill). Sunday = rest. Some times if I'm tired I'll skip a cardio day but I always make sure I get in the three days of weight training.This week I was in Vegas from Monday to yesterday and I didn't workout at all. I stuck to my diet as much as I could and only really had one night of drinking. However, now that I'm back home I jumped on the scale and to my surprise I still lost the same amount of weight during this time period as I would have if it was a normal workout week.My question is: Did I most likely lose muscle mass during this time and that is why my weight went down even though I didn't stick to my regular workout schedule? Can you lose muscle mass within 4 days of basically no exercise?I'm not too worried about this and I'm not stressing out about it or anything, but it was just on my mind and I noticed this tread and decided to ask.

I have never posted in this thread but I wanted to see what you guys thought about what happened to me this week.For the last 8 months I've put myself on a strict diet and exercise program and have been doing really well and been losing weight and seeing excellent results.My typical week is Monday, Wednesday, Friday = Weight training (full body workouts). Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday = Cardio (1/2 hour on the treadmill). Sunday = rest. Some times if I'm tired I'll skip a cardio day but I always make sure I get in the three days of weight training.This week I was in Vegas from Monday to yesterday and I didn't workout at all. I stuck to my diet as much as I could and only really had one night of drinking. However, now that I'm back home I jumped on the scale and to my surprise I still lost the same amount of weight during this time period as I would have if it was a normal workout week.My question is: Did I most likely lose muscle mass during this time and that is why my weight went down even though I didn't stick to my regular workout schedule? Can you lose muscle mass within 4 days of basically no exercise?I'm not too worried about this and I'm not stressing out about it or anything, but it was just on my mind and I noticed this tread and decided to ask.
I think a couple things are going on. First after working out that long your metabolism has changed and you are probably burning more calories in a day than previously. I don't think this is scientific, just from personal experience. Also, over the course of the week you might have taken in more calories but your body can only absorb so much at any given time so even if you stuffed yourself all week it probably wouldn't add that much. Finally, Sometimes you can trick your body. It gets used to you eating one way and is constantly looking for a way around that to store fat. By shocking the system like you did it wasn't prepared for storing fat in that manner and rejected it. Many people believe in the "eat anything one day" or "twice a week" logic believing it helps keep the body churning.In any case, kudos for not losing weight and get back on schedule. In this time how much have you lost? What other differences like clothes sizes etc? Sounds like you've been doing great.
I think a couple things are going on. First after working out that long your metabolism has changed and you are probably burning more calories in a day than previously. I don't think this is scientific, just from personal experience. Also, over the course of the week you might have taken in more calories but your body can only absorb so much at any given time so even if you stuffed yourself all week it probably wouldn't add that much. Finally, Sometimes you can trick your body. It gets used to you eating one way and is constantly looking for a way around that to store fat. By shocking the system like you did it wasn't prepared for storing fat in that manner and rejected it. Many people believe in the "eat anything one day" or "twice a week" logic believing it helps keep the body churning.In any case, kudos for not losing weight and get back on schedule. In this time how much have you lost? What other differences like clothes sizes etc? Sounds like you've been doing great.
Thanks for the info.I've lost a lot of weight in the last 8 months... I won't give out the amount in pounds but overall I've lost 30% of my original body weight. Pant sizes has gone down 20% as well. I still have more weight I want to get off before the end of the year and it is getting harder and harder as I lose more and more weight. But I keep my calories very low, cook 90% of my meals at home, no soda, no junk food, no fast food, drink lots of water. I had a personal trainer for the first 6 months and the last 2 months I've continued on my own.I meet with my primary care physician and a dietitian every 3 months to determine the appropriate amount of calorie intake and diet. I just decided to make my health a priority in my life and committed to it and have stuck to it.
Thanks for the info.I've lost a lot of weight in the last 8 months... I won't give out the amount in pounds but overall I've lost 30% of my original body weight. Pant sizes has gone down 20% as well. I still have more weight I want to get off before the end of the year and it is getting harder and harder as I lose more and more weight. But I keep my calories very low, cook 90% of my meals at home, no soda, no junk food, no fast food, drink lots of water. I had a personal trainer for the first 6 months and the last 2 months I've continued on my own.I meet with my primary care physician and a dietitian every 3 months to determine the appropriate amount of calorie intake and diet. I just decided to make my health a priority in my life and committed to it and have stuck to it.
Man that's awesome. Congrats! My mantra is Eat to Live, not Live to Eat. I know what you mean about wanting to lose more by the end of the year.I'm in the same boat. I have done very well and recently ramped up my efforts in an effort to shed the last 8 lbs which just won't seem to go away. I've been at 166 to 169 for about 3 months and finally just broke the 166 barrier for the first time at 163.7 but it was back up today to 167.9 ugh. I am used to it fluctuating and don't worry about it though. I know in the long run it all pays off. Progress not perfection!I ran my 3rd 5K this morning and it was definately alot easier, and really helped by some of the most perfect weather ever created. Avsfan (you slacker!) I increased the weights on the dumbells per your request to 37.5 lbs and did 3 X 12 reps. A little sore today but very little so it shouldn't be long before I can rip the 15 reps. The dips are going well also and I really like the exercise. I think I will add a plate to my lapnext time as well. I am really seeing muscle definition in my arms, legs, backs but I just need to finish getting rid of the last belly fat and I'll be good.
Man that's awesome. Congrats! My mantra is Eat to Live, not Live to Eat. I know what you mean about wanting to lose more by the end of the year.I'm in the same boat. I have done very well and recently ramped up my efforts in an effort to shed the last 8 lbs which just won't seem to go away. I've been at 166 to 169 for about 3 months and finally just broke the 166 barrier for the first time at 163.7 but it was back up today to 167.9 ugh. I am used to it fluctuating and don't worry about it though. I know in the long run it all pays off. Progress not perfection!I ran my 3rd 5K this morning and it was definately alot easier, and really helped by some of the most perfect weather ever created. Avsfan (you slacker!) I increased the weights on the dumbells per your request to 37.5 lbs and did 3 X 12 reps. A little sore today but very little so it shouldn't be long before I can rip the 15 reps. The dips are going well also and I really like the exercise. I think I will add a plate to my lapnext time as well. I am really seeing muscle definition in my arms, legs, backs but I just need to finish getting rid of the last belly fat and I'll be good.
Thanks! A few books that I own and suggest are "Body For Life" and "Eating For Life" by Bill Phillips. I bought them both used on Amazon for fairly cheap and good condition.Here is my workout from last week, this takes me about 1 hour to complete: - Body Weight Circuit - Should take 20 minsExercise Sets/Reps/WeightPush-ups 15/2Lunges 30/2Lat Pull Down 15/2 105lbs/120lbsGate Swings 30/2Sit-Ups 15/2Bench Dips 15/22 Min sprint (treadmill) 7mph w/ 1% incline - Free Weight Circuit - Should take 20 minsExercise Sets/Reps/WeightDB Incline/Flat Bench 10/2/25lbs each armBent-Over DB Row 10/2/50lbs each armDB Push-Press 10/2/25lbs each armDB Pullovers 10/2/50lbs both arms at the same timeBicep Curls 10/2/25lbs each arm4 Min Hill Climb (treadmill) 4mph w/ 9% incline - Plyo Circuit - Should take 20 minsExercise Sets/RepsReactive Steps 10/2Push-Ups 10/2Torso Twists (with ball) 15/2Box Jumps 10/1Squat Thrust 10/1I have about 20 different workouts like the one above that I just cycle through on a weekly basis. I'm still trying to lose weight right now and not necessarily focusing on building muscle mass on any specific body parts. Once I get to my goal weight I'm going to focus on building mass on specific body parts that I want to improve on.My Cardio on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays is treadmill 2.5 miles in 31:20 with the first mile being an 11 min mile.
Thanks! A few books that I own and suggest are "Body For Life" and "Eating For Life" by Bill Phillips. I bought them both used on Amazon for fairly cheap and good condition.Here is my workout from last week, this takes me about 1 hour to complete: - Body Weight Circuit - Should take 20 minsExercise Sets/Reps/WeightPush-ups 15/2Lunges 30/2Lat Pull Down 15/2 105lbs/120lbsGate Swings 30/2Sit-Ups 15/2Bench Dips 15/22 Min sprint (treadmill) 7mph w/ 1% incline - Free Weight Circuit - Should take 20 minsExercise Sets/Reps/WeightDB Incline/Flat Bench 10/2/25lbs each armBent-Over DB Row 10/2/50lbs each armDB Push-Press 10/2/25lbs each armDB Pullovers 10/2/50lbs both arms at the same timeBicep Curls 10/2/25lbs each arm4 Min Hill Climb (treadmill) 4mph w/ 9% incline - Plyo Circuit - Should take 20 minsExercise Sets/RepsReactive Steps 10/2Push-Ups 10/2Torso Twists (with ball) 15/2Box Jumps 10/1Squat Thrust 10/1I have about 20 different workouts like the one above that I just cycle through on a weekly basis. I'm still trying to lose weight right now and not necessarily focusing on building muscle mass on any specific body parts. Once I get to my goal weight I'm going to focus on building mass on specific body parts that I want to improve on.My Cardio on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays is treadmill 2.5 miles in 31:20 with the first mile being an 11 min mile.
About 8 years ago I hadn't worked out since well, ever. A girlfriend had picked BFL up at a yard sale and it was laying on the coffee table so I read it and thought, hmm, I could do this! Everyone laughed at me, not that I blame them so I went out the next day and bought a used stationary bike and some dumbells. I worked at home 2 months and then joined a gyma and went nuts for a year. The girlfriend went away, the gym closed a month after I payed a year in advance and I sprained an ankle. So much for BFL, lol. Being pretty much all I knew about exercise and how successful it was I kinda became a BFL guru and participated on some message boards, still do actually. I just started back working out again in late Feb.Now that I know more I realize that BFL is a great starting point for all the basics but he doesn't get into anything other than that. Avs has helped me make alot of strides since i've taken his advice. I can see the personal trainer has helped you a ton as well since your routine is far from BFL. I do have some questions though.I have done the BFL cardio, 20 minutes HIIT exactly as he describes forever. I see you alternate cardio but don't do the HIIT. Was that your choice, the trainer or how did that come about? I also see you do some short cardio at the end of the workouts which is definately not BFL? Same question.I have also still in the weight loss mode though I am gaining alot of muscle so I guess I'm in between doing both. I have been adding alot of core and endurance type work lately and I've been more sore lately than i've been in 6 months, lol.Where did you get the workout routines and is there a method to your madness or simply just like to change things up?Ha, I'm into it pretty right now and could talk about this shit for hours, lo..
About 8 years ago I hadn't worked out since well, ever. A girlfriend had picked BFL up at a yard sale and it was laying on the coffee table so I read it and thought, hmm, I could do this! Everyone laughed at me, not that I blame them so I went out the next day and bought a used stationary bike and some dumbells. I worked at home 2 months and then joined a gyma and went nuts for a year. The girlfriend went away, the gym closed a month after I payed a year in advance and I sprained an ankle. So much for BFL, lol. Being pretty much all I knew about exercise and how successful it was I kinda became a BFL guru and participated on some message boards, still do actually. I just started back working out again in late Feb.Now that I know more I realize that BFL is a great starting point for all the basics but he doesn't get into anything other than that. Avs has helped me make alot of strides since i've taken his advice. I can see the personal trainer has helped you a ton as well since your routine is far from BFL. I do have some questions though.I have done the BFL cardio, 20 minutes HIIT exactly as he describes forever. I see you alternate cardio but don't do the HIIT. Was that your choice, the trainer or how did that come about? I also see you do some short cardio at the end of the workouts which is definately not BFL? Same question.I have also still in the weight loss mode though I am gaining alot of muscle so I guess I'm in between doing both. I have been adding alot of core and endurance type work lately and I've been more sore lately than i've been in 6 months, lol.Where did you get the workout routines and is there a method to your madness or simply just like to change things up?Ha, I'm into it pretty right now and could talk about this shit for hours, lo..
I just now noticed that I had the "sets/reps" backwards on the workout listed above. It should be reps/sets, so basically 15reps/2sets, etc. I'm not sure if you caught on to this or not but I just wanted to clarify it.The workout routines are ones that I did with my trainer for the last 6 months. I was living in a different city for the first 6 months of the year and I only canceled the trainer because I had to move back to Los Angeles. So, after moving back I tested out a few new trainers but none of them could met the expectations that I had from my original trainer. Rather then waste time and money, I spoke with my original trainer and he suggest I just cycle through our previous workouts until I hit my goal weight.I purchased BFL and EFL after stopping with my trainer. The cardio portion of my weekly exercise was suggested to me by my trainer. It's really helped and I have been able to progress and increase my stamina on the treadmill and speed. I first started off doing 3mph walk with 1% incline for 10 mins. Like I mentioned before I'm now up to doing 2.5 miles in 31:20 (Here's the breakdown of the 31:20. Did the first 11 mins at 5.5mph, then 4 mins at 3mph, then 5 mins at 5mph, then 3 mins at 3 mph and the final 8:20 mins at 5mph.) I've been thinking about building up and training for a 5K race before the end of the year. Right now the 2.5 miles are difficult but I do get them done. I'm pretty sure with a few more months of increasing cardio that I'll be able to do a 5K no problem.
I just now noticed that I had the "sets/reps" backwards on the workout listed above. It should be reps/sets, so basically 15reps/2sets, etc. I'm not sure if you caught on to this or not but I just wanted to clarify it.The workout routines are ones that I did with my trainer for the last 6 months. I was living in a different city for the first 6 months of the year and I only canceled the trainer because I had to move back to Los Angeles. So, after moving back I tested out a few new trainers but none of them could met the expectations that I had from my original trainer. Rather then waste time and money, I spoke with my original trainer and he suggest I just cycle through our previous workouts until I hit my goal weight.I purchased BFL and EFL after stopping with my trainer. The cardio portion of my weekly exercise was suggested to me by my trainer. It's really helped and I have been able to progress and increase my stamina on the treadmill and speed. I first started off doing 3mph walk with 1% incline for 10 mins. Like I mentioned before I'm now up to doing 2.5 miles in 31:20 (Here's the breakdown of the 31:20. Did the first 11 mins at 5.5mph, then 4 mins at 3mph, then 5 mins at 5mph, then 3 mins at 3 mph and the final 8:20 mins at 5mph.) I've been thinking about building up and training for a 5K race before the end of the year. Right now the 2.5 miles are difficult but I do get them done. I'm pretty sure with a few more months of increasing cardio that I'll be able to do a 5K no problem.
The reccomended BFL cardio is a little different not that it matters a ton but what i've done the last 6 months goes like6 months agoMinutes-speed-level 2 incline2-3.3 warm up walk 1-3.8 faster walk1-4- lite jog1-4.5 a little faster1-5 close to my max1-3.3 walk again and repeat1-41-4.51-5repeat 2 more timesending with 1 minute at 5.5 (near death)and 2 minutes cool down.That's the twenty minutes cardioNow I pretty much cycle speeds of 5 5.5 6 maxing out at 6.5 with an incline of 3 then 4, then 5, then 6 each sprint.It's basically four increasing sprints each level.It got to where I could tell a good or bad run by the last 15 seconds. It is really designed to get you to max out and get to the anaerobic level.I recently decided to give the 5K a whirl and started training for it last week.First off, running outside will take it's toll on your legs alot more than the treadmill. Yeouch!Avs pointed out an iphone ap that provided some timing and training suggestions. I don't havean iphone but I looked at the site and it was written out. It was basically suggesting trying like we do cardio. Alternate between a jog and walk and increase as you can. I did that the first time out and then went very slow the second time and made it. I have done ittwo more times now and it's definately easier as I go. I started at 45 minutes the first 2 times.41 the third and 36 this morning. I thought I was doing great at that time until I looked at the times for a local 5K that ran recently and apparently I'm in between the one-legged guyand the great grandma's in walkers coalition, lol.While the weather is nice I would definately try giving the outdoors a whirl. I like it alot better than the treadmill.

Asimo, I noticed you said you're keeping your calories very low. This is usually not a good idea. It will actually hurt you from losing weight, and especially building any muscle. I'm just not sure what exactly is very low for you. But it's especially important if you're working out almost every day. I noticed it for sure when I was trying to drop lbs for a weight loss bet, and I just stopped losing for a week or two, and then found out I wasn't eating enough, as soon as I tried to get more calories, a day or two later I dropped a couple pounds again. Randy, it looks like you basically did 800 calories through the day, and then left the rest for dinner. But you want to be up towards 2100, which is a pretty big dinner. I think you'd benefit from making your breakfast more like 600c, and doing everything else the same, maybe a little less dinner. But more for breakfast is usually better.Personally, I learned quite a bit just reading the forums over at Men's Health.

OK so for some motivation I have decided that I will start training to run a 5K. I see the likes of RR doing this and my dad as well and I figure if and almost 50 guy and a my dad who is 62 doing it then, me at 37 should get off his ass and try it. I don't run much. I have bad knees from years and years of soccer but not bad enough to limit my running. (yes they have been looked at by an ortho guy.) My main issue is stamina. For whatever reason I can skate and bike for days and days but running wears me out fast. So I have been searching around and found a regimen that I think I can do and I will start with that and see how it goes.3 days a week I will start off with a 5 min walk, then 60 sec run/90 sec walk for 20 minutes. Each week more time running less walking. I will also be using the bike from time to time to help since I figure I can improve my stamina on that on certain days to when my legs are "feeling the burn." From time to time I will just go and run and see how far my stamina will take me.My question is this, what things should I be eating the day of or day before I do these training things. Anything special that helps?

Asimo, I noticed you said you're keeping your calories very low. This is usually not a good idea. It will actually hurt you from losing weight, and especially building any muscle. I'm just not sure what exactly is very low for you. But it's especially important if you're working out almost every day. I noticed it for sure when I was trying to drop lbs for a weight loss bet, and I just stopped losing for a week or two, and then found out I wasn't eating enough, as soon as I tried to get more calories, a day or two later I dropped a couple pounds again. Randy, it looks like you basically did 800 calories through the day, and then left the rest for dinner. But you want to be up towards 2100, which is a pretty big dinner. I think you'd benefit from making your breakfast more like 600c, and doing everything else the same, maybe a little less dinner. But more for breakfast is usually better.Personally, I learned quite a bit just reading the forums over at Men's Health.
I have upped it actually and and probably do closer to 300 per the 4 meals, a larger dinner and then a later snack type food. It's still hard tojudge the dinner calories and the snack is usually about 200 so I'm probably close but not spaced ideally. I have lost 3 lbs in a week and halfdoing this though so it's working I guess. I'm going to keep messing with the foods and calories to get better counts. It's a pain though,lol.
OK so for some motivation I have decided that I will start training to run a 5K. I see the likes of RR doing this and my dad as well and I figure if and almost 50 guy and a my dad who is 62 doing it then, me at 37 should get off his ass and try it. I don't run much. I have bad knees from years and years of soccer but not bad enough to limit my running. (yes they have been looked at by an ortho guy.) My main issue is stamina. For whatever reason I can skate and bike for days and days but running wears me out fast. So I have been searching around and found a regimen that I think I can do and I will start with that and see how it goes.3 days a week I will start off with a 5 min walk, then 60 sec run/90 sec walk for 20 minutes. Each week more time running less walking. I will also be using the bike from time to time to help since I figure I can improve my stamina on that on certain days to when my legs are "feeling the burn." From time to time I will just go and run and see how far my stamina will take me.My question is this, what things should I be eating the day of or day before I do these training things. Anything special that helps?
Man I thought I was OLD. 37? hahahahttp://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtmlHere is the link to the Couch to 5K program that I found online. I've been running on the treadmill for 5 months so I was able to go to the run alot quicker but I think this will give you an idea and you can work at your own pace. Oh yeah, I smoke like a fiend so again, if I can do ityou should be able to "smoke" me in no time.I have no idea about the food other than what I am doing. I believe you should definately get some protien and carbs pre-run like a protien shake but othersmight suggest something better. I hate eating before I work out so I just drink the shake after I get back and take a shower.I've been looking at the top times and categories for some of the 5K's and such but I haven't seen a smoker's category which is pissing me off. I would definately be top of my class, haha.Last Sunday I did 20 miles on the bike and then did an Ab workout on the swiss ball the wifey was wanting me to do. I like it a ton more than the bosu if only for the fact Brooke Burke is in that vs the gay guys on the bosu. The wifey smacked me if I asked if I could watch it again.
I keep my calories between 1500-1700 calories a day. I try to get in 3 meals and a few protein snacks a day.Typical day:Breakfast - 2 eggs and 1 piece of whole grain toastLunch - 4oz-6oz of chicken/fish/beef with vegetable (corn or broccoli) and brown riceAfter workout - Protein shake or bar (most of the time protein shake because it has less calories, less sugar and more protein)Dinner - 4oz-6oz of chicken/fish/beef with vegetableI do mix in fruit, other vegetables, unsalted raw nuts and plain yogurt throughout the day to keep fueling the fire.I don't necessarily stick to this 100% of the time but if I'm home and not traveling or going out I try stick to this as much as possible.Also!!!! I ran a 10 minute mile last night and 2.5 miles in 30:42. I haven't ran a 10 minute mile since high school!

thanks for the info guysI started a little last night to get a feel for it. I hate running in the dark though so Tuesdays I will use the gym.Walked for 5 minutes. Ran for 1 minuteWalked for 1.5 minutesRan for 1 minuteWalked for 1.5 minutesjogged for 1Walked for 1.5 minutesjogged for 1 minuteWalked for 2 minutesWent 1.4 miles. My ankles hurt today but my legs feel fine. I think I will hit the bike tonight and try this again tomorrow.