Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Great and thanks. Okay cardio question. I have really only run on the treadmill and do the 20 minute HIIT and as I said it is slowly getting better and better adding more speed and incline. For endurance I have pretty much been using the bicycle and long rides on weekends. To do the triathlon or a duathlon I need to be able to run 5K or 5 miles, (whatever) so I want to see if I can on the treadmill first (I guess) or should I just take a run in the morning. I did a steady run this morning but I was short on time at 5 mph for 20 minutes and I think I ended at 1.7 miles. I could have easily done alot more but how much is virgin territory so to speak. So, tips on doing this, or training or anything special I should know or look to do for a 5K?
I am not a well of knowledge when it comes to running. My mother was a a proffesional runner and I would usually get my running info from her. Unfortunately she passed away a year ago. I did recently stumble on to this iphone app that is geared towards getting ppl up to 5k performance levels. It is called "Couch to 5k", here is the app; http://www.felttip.com/c25k/
Also, it is mentioned alot that muscle weighs more than fat which technically isn't true. 1 lb of fat and l lb of muscle weight the same. Muscle weighs more (per volume).
You sir are correct! That is what i meant to say. Keepin me on my toes there, :club:. technically a pound is a pound, Duh........avs dumb is.
And avs I know I take weight of equally around the body but what I was going for is muscle increase in the chest area, specifically on the sides near the armpit by doing the cable flys or dumbell flys. Am I just wrong here, lol? I have been doing the dumbell press and recently added weight and still doing the 3x15's with possibly adding more sooner than I thought. I also am considering trying them on the Swiss ball instead of the bench, thoughts? I don't have a bench to do the regular chest press. (or a spotter or anything).
for must of my workout life I subscribed to the idea that you could stimulate different areas of a muscle from different angles. I would always do equal parts incline, flat, decline presses and flys. I have become a convert the idea that muscles get worked/stimulated and they respond in accordance to there genetic predisposition. So basically i pick the best exercise/s for that muscle and expect the muscle to respond in accordance with its genetic potential. the best exercises for chest are flat dumbbell presses, dips, and flat bench press. What i like to do is do dips for my.....uh triceps...and then i know i am doing the equivalent of a upper body squat and am doubling up on my chest shoulders and nailing my triceps. I don't think you have the equipment to do dips. You can find dip bar sets on ebay for around 125 dollars though. So, Randy that is my thoughts......in essence i would like to see you add dips for triceps which will hit your chest shoulders and triceps in a upper body squat like exercise....this will stimulate your upper body like nothing else......if you do this and make the investment in dip bars expect a grueling exercise and awesome gains. Randy their are some very inexpensive flat benches out there. Having said that let me say it is ok to do dumbbell chest presses on a swiss balll, just watch the upperward bounce. The great thing about dumbbells is you can't get trapped under them, simply drop them to the floor if you can not finish your rep, awesome huh? I swear the dumbbells will be fine when dropped, they are dumb.
And I guess I should finally get more serious about the diet. Is there a good site to look or count calories to help get a grip on it. I pretty much know the food and what I like and do a decent job of planning meals but with my schedule I get home later in the evening and tend to just eat the wrong thing or to much. If I eat something good I'll likey then grab some ice cream or something. I really have no idea how many calories a day I take in.
Sounds like TRBO5 can be a great help here. I usually point ppl to "The Warrior Diet" here; http://www.warriordiet.com/ or Precision Nutrition; http://www.precisionnutrition.com/ (you can sign up for free)
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, so let's take what I will be doing tonight as an example. Tonight is Back / ChestI warmup with 3 sets of Russian TwistI go and do 3 sets of Max pullups (I usally get 7, then 5, then 4) alternating with Pushups (Usually rep out 3 x 15)Next I do Bent over rows (3 x 12 with 25lb dumbbell) mixed in with one arm dumbbell press (3 x 12 with 25lbs)I added in not sure what it is formally called but you lay down on a bench and hold a dumbbell over head with both hands and take it back over your head keeping your arms straight, this is a lat exercise (3 x 12 25lb) mixed with bench press (1 x 12 95, 1 x 10 115, 1 x 8 135)One set of Janda situps x 35StretchingSo when you say up the intensity do you mean that I should add weight to this when I can easily do 15 reps with a certain weight and drop down in weight when I can't get to 12? I guess I should start keeping a workout journal and mark down the weights and progress that I am doing each time? I have been just keeping it in my head.
It is called a dumbbell pullover. It is one of my favorite exercises. It works the chest serratus and back. I would like to see you do your bench press with the same reps and sets as other exercises.this is more than enough volume.Please post your other workout days so i can make sure you are doing everything with balanced volume.Yes, I mean you should add weight when you can do 3 sets for the max of you chosen rep range. you should decrease your weight if you can not hit the low end of your rep range.it is extremely importants to keep a workout journal. If you have a iphone i would highly recomend bodybook here; http://iphoneapplicationlist.com/2009/01/19/bodybook/
www.fitday.comYou can track your daily caloric intake as well as your activities, set goals, etc. with fitday.com. It's not always exactly accurate but gives a basic idea of how many calories you burn vs. intake. If you want to get real strict, you can input your own foods to keep exact track. I've been using it for a couple of years now so if you have any questions I may be able to help just post them here.
Thanks, that should help. If I have questions I'll get back with you. I also was reading that for my age 48/height 5'8" I should be getting 2200 to 2300 calories a day. Does that sound about right?
and when you can do 3 sets for 15 reps for christ sake Randy add weight!
Okay, I battle with adding weight and form. I will try to up the weight and move down to 12 reps on the exercises and work my way up. I think that is what you are suggesting and makes sense.Also, isn't there dips that I can do off of a bench or something? I'm kinda blanking but it seems I read something. Hmm, off to look at dips. Not you SAL!I also got the bosu thing last night but haven't had time to do anything with it yet. I have been crunched for time so it might not be until this weekend when I can give it a whirl.
It is called a dumbbell pullover. It is one of my favorite exercises. It works the chest serratus and back. I would like to see you do your bench press with the same reps and sets as other exercises.this is more than enough volume.Please post your other workout days so i can make sure you are doing everything with balanced volume.Yes, I mean you should add weight when you can do 3 sets for the max of you chosen rep range. you should decrease your weight if you can not hit the low end of your rep range.it is extremely importants to keep a workout journal. If you have a iphone i would highly recomend bodybook here; http://iphoneapplicationlist.com/2009/01/19/bodybook/
I don't have an iphone :club: but I am getting a blackberry from work soon! I will take your advice and keep the same weights and just rep out the bench.Other workouts:Leg DayRide bike to warm up for 5 minutesSquats 3x12 at 135 intermingled with Deadlifts 3x12 at 135Lunges as RR described but with 15lb overhead 3x20 alternate arm after 10Hamstring Curls (is that what they're called) 3x12Calves 3x15 at 100 (standing Calf Machine)2x30 Janda SitupsShoulder / Arms3 sets of Russin Twist to warm upMilitary Press (3 x 12 x 95) mixed with 2 way flys (3 x 12 x 10lbs)Dumbbell Curls (3 x 12 x 25) mixed with One arm dumbbell skullcrushers, not sure if this is the proper name for the exercise, (3 x 12 x 25)Overhead Tri Extensions with rope on machine (3 x 12 x 70) mixed with either (1) underhand pullups (3 x 12) or (2) curls with the flat bar on machine (3 x 12 x 70)1 set of Janda situps x 35Stretching.
www.fitday.comYou can track your daily caloric intake as well as your activities, set goals, etc. with fitday.com. It's not always exactly accurate but gives a basic idea of how many calories you burn vs. intake. If you want to get real strict, you can input your own foods to keep exact track. I've been using it for a couple of years now so if you have any questions I may be able to help just post them here.
I have used this, and its a great site, but it sure is a bitch to keep up with.
Thanks, that should help. If I have questions I'll get back with you. I also was reading that for my age 48/height 5'8" I should be getting 2200 to 2300 calories a day. Does that sound about right?Okay, I battle with adding weight and form. I will try to up the weight and move down to 12 reps on the exercises and work my way up. I think that is what you are suggesting and makes sense.Also, isn't there dips that I can do off of a bench or something? I'm kinda blanking but it seems I read something. Hmm, off to look at dips. Not you SAL!I also got the bosu thing last night but haven't had time to do anything with it yet. I have been crunched for time so it might not be until this weekend when I can give it a whirl.
Randy,For dips: http://www.nku.edu/~issues/weightlifting/MVC-048S.JPGYou can also put some weighted plates on your lap when it becomes too easy. Have you tried doing planks for an ab exercise?
Thanks, that should help. If I have questions I'll get back with you. I also was reading that for my age 48/height 5'8" I should be getting 2200 to 2300 calories a day. Does that sound about right?
To lose weight you should eat around 2100, to maintain eat around 2600, and to gain muscle eat around 3100. This all comes from this website.

I'm still not sold on the 40 minute thing, although most of my workouts take between 40-50 mins. I found an old bench press form check vid as well as some squat, oh press, and random stuff. Depending on how much people make fun of me and hurt my feelings, I'll post more after weeping (Not really these things take forever to upload). Also, not a brag post. If I wanted to do that I would post vids of me running the 400 in 49 flat in corduroys and squatting 600lbs in flip flops. http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/l...current=003.flv

Also, isn't there dips that I can do off of a bench or something? I'm kinda blanking but it seems I read something. Hmm, off to look at dips. Not you SAL!
here is another example of a tricep dip with some typical mistakes pointed out;
I don't have an iphone :club: but I am getting a blackberry from work soon! I will take your advice and keep the same weights and just rep out the bench.
here is a traditional journal; http://www.amazon.com/dp/0963796844/ref%3D...6linkCode%3Dasn
I don't have an iphone :ts but I am getting a blackberry from work soon! I will take your advice and keep the same weights and just rep out the bench.Other workouts:Leg DayRide bike to warm up for 5 minutesSquats 3x12 at 135 intermingled with Deadlifts 3x12 at 135Lunges as RR described but with 15lb overhead 3x20 alternate arm after 10Hamstring Curls (is that what they're called) 3x12Calves 3x15 at 100 (standing Calf Machine)2x30 Janda Situps
you could extend your warm up cardio to 12-15minutes.You can workout your abs and forearms and calves more frequently than the other body parts but working abs everyday is too much. take a day off in between ab workouts. so, rest your abs this day.the volume is balanced here.
Shoulder / Arms3 sets of Russin Twist to warm upMilitary Press (3 x 12 x 95) mixed with 2 way flys (3 x 12 x 10lbs)Dumbbell Curls (3 x 12 x 25) mixed with One arm dumbbell skullcrushers, not sure if this is the proper name for the exercise, (3 x 12 x 25)Overhead Tri Extensions with rope on machine (3 x 12 x 70) mixed with either (1) underhand pullups (3 x 12) or (2) curls with the flat bar on machine (3 x 12 x 70)1 set of Janda situps x 35Stretching.
new shoulder/arms routine suggestion;3x 12-15 miltary or dumbbell press3x 12-15 upright rows with dumbbells or barbells;
3x 12-15 lying rear dumbbell flys ;
you can alternate the overhead pressing movements and the upright rows (they are push and pull) and then finish up with the lying rear flys.3x 12-15 dummbell curls alternating with 3x 1-15 dips(i am cuting back on your arm work you use your bi's and tri's in many other movements, this is enough work.janda sit-upsstretching
Randy,For dips: http://www.nku.edu/~issues/weightlifting/MVC-048S.JPGYou can also put some weighted plates on your lap when it becomes too easy. Have you tried doing planks for an ab exercise?
Thanks and yes i'm doing planks with the Janda sit-ups and also the hyper extension bench for abs and lower back.
To lose weight you should eat around 2100, to maintain eat around 2600, and to gain muscle eat around 3100. This all comes from this website.
Thanks, pretty cool. Now I have to learn about calories more which even with fitday I don' get completely. If I get a 6 inch tuna sub with double tuna on whole grain, lettuce, onion and some jalapenos (Subway) how the hell do I fugure that out? Or do I just guess? I guess I can use it to get a rough idea and I just don't see myself getting a scale and weighing everything.
I'm still not sold on the 40 minute thing, although most of my workouts take between 40-50 mins. I found an old bench press form check vid as well as some squat, oh press, and random stuff. Depending on how much people make fun of me and hurt my feelings, I'll post more after weeping (Not really these things take forever to upload). Also, not a brag post. If I wanted to do that I would post vids of me running the 400 in 49 flat in corduroys and squatting 600lbs in flip flops. http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp303/l...current=003.flv
More vids if you got them and they didn't take long to load or anything. I vary on workout time but when I have the time is usually around 50 to an hour. When pushed I squeeze it into 25 minutes.
here is another example of a tricep dip with some typical mistakes pointed out;
Thanks, once I saw socal's pic I knew that was what I was thinking and the vid is great at me not messing up form. But let me ask this, if I am doingtricep exercises, cable extension bar or rope does the dips do something more than work the tricep?And finally, I got up early to start the 5K quest. After a 2 minute warmup I ran at 5mph for 50 minutes with only a few scattered breaks (slowed down) to drink water. I ran slightly over 3.5 miles. I felt like I could do more and ran a sprint at the end 6mph for 2 minutes and ran out of time. Since this was new territory I didn't want to overdo it but was pretty happy with the results and will try to improve a little next time.

Duh, after writing that i realized that my goal of 5 miles is alot longer than 5K. Checking out a conversion chart it's a little under3.2 miles which I more than did this morning. I guess I will just work on doing that and increasing the speed and doing it outdoorsnow that it's now so hot in the morning to give it a real live test, lol.

Thanks, pretty cool. Now I have to learn about calories more which even with fitday I don' get completely. If I get a 6 inch tuna sub with double tuna on whole grain, lettuce, onion and some jalapenos (Subway) how the hell do I fugure that out? Or do I just guess? I guess I can use it to get a rough idea and I just don't see myself getting a scale and weighing everything.
Eating out makes it a little tricky, but most places have nutritional info on their website. If not, usually fitday has something comparable and you can just estimate. Subway's tuna sub looks like this from their website (not including the extra tuna, and the veggies are pretty much free anyway maybe ~40-50 calories)6" Tuna 530 calories 30.0 g fat 6.0 sat 45mg cholesterol 930mg sodium 46g carbs 5g fiber 21g protein 10% vit A 30% vit C 10% calcium 20% ironAnd then from Fitday, I searched for "tuna sub" and came up with the following:Calories 583.7Fat 28.0gCholesterol 48.6mg Sodium 1,292.8mg Carbohydrate 55.4g Dietary Fiber 0.0gProtein 29.7g So, they are not exactly accurate, but they are close enough that your numbers are not going to be completely unreliable. The main one to keep track of is calories and they are pretty close.
(i am cuting back on your arm work you use your bi's and tri's in many other movements, this is enough work.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you know that I am trying to get arms like AAHHHHNOLD! :club:
Eating out makes it a little tricky, but most places have nutritional info on their website. If not, usually fitday has something comparable and you can just estimate. Subway's tuna sub looks like this from their website (not including the extra tuna, and the veggies are pretty much free anyway maybe ~40-50 calories)6" Tuna 530 calories 30.0 g fat 6.0 sat 45mg cholesterol 930mg sodium 46g carbs 5g fiber 21g protein 10% vit A 30% vit C 10% calcium 20% ironAnd then from Fitday, I searched for "tuna sub" and came up with the following:Calories 583.7Fat 28.0gCholesterol 48.6mg Sodium 1,292.8mg Carbohydrate 55.4g Dietary Fiber 0.0gProtein 29.7g So, they are not exactly accurate, but they are close enough that your numbers are not going to be completely unreliable. The main one to keep track of is calories and they are pretty close.
Oh, I see. I need to pick some foods I mostly eat and do some playing around with it to give me a better idea. Thanks.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you know that I am trying to get arms like AAHHHHNOLD! :club:
\hahhaha
Oh, I see. I need to pick some foods I mostly eat and do some playing around with it to give me a better idea. Thanks.\hahhaha
The best part about it is that once you enter a custom food once, it stays there forever, so enter a tuna sub once, and every time you eat one it is just a couple clicks to enter it on your log. Also, for calculating a recipe you can go here http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp. Enter all your ingredients and how many servings it has and it will give you a nutritional breakdown for everything. Again, it's not perfect, but it is pretty close.
if I am doingtricep exercises, cable extension bar or rope does the dips do something more than work the tricep?
The standard dip works the tricep far superior to other tricep exercises. "Standard dips" are the best exercise for the triceps and they also work the chest and shoulders hard. The "tricep dip" (the one socal illustrated) will isolate the tricep more than the 'standard dip" it will also place mush more stress on the shoulders and it will work the chest less than a "standard dip".
Duh, after writing that i realized that my goal of 5 miles is alot longer than 5K. Checking out a conversion chart it's a little under3.2 miles which I more than did this morning. I guess I will just work on doing that and increasing the speed and doing it outdoorsnow that it's now so hot in the morning to give it a real live test, lol.
I knew that 5k was 3 miles. I just figures why tell you. I f you trainned like it was 5 miles you would do awesome ;P.
Randy don't forget to train for the canoeing!
Well, canoeing will be added next summer. I have a place down the street that sells Kayaks and i'm near a river so I'll figure that out in time. I am looking at some duathlons that incorporate running and bike riding.I know at this point I am not out to win anything other than the pride of finishing. My local town has a 5Kon Thanksgiving that I will run. I drove last night to mark out a route to practice in my neighborhood sinceall of my running has been on the treadmill I will have to apply some real running.I also have a funny story. The bosu finally came in and yesterday morning was the first chance to give it a whirl.bosu_htbbb2.gifMuch to my dismay the guy in the exercise video was a flamer. I did a lower body exercise from the video and thoughit wasn't real hard it was tough keeping up and I was starting to really feel some burn in my legs. It's kind of awkward getting on an off the thing and getting it down. It was towards the end and the flamer was doing some slow down and stretchingtype exercieses before it ended, one of which was simply jumping up and down in place on it.My wife wandered down to see how it was going at this point and here I am hopping up and down with this flamer chatting away.She looked and asked what I was doing and I said, "The Bunny Hop!"I didn't think she'd ever stop laughing.