Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Still working out regular here. Rode 27 miles on the bike Sunday. I work out first thing in the morning and cardio is never a problem but sometimes getting the weights in can be. I have about 30 to 40minutes and it keeps me from doing extra and sometimes just rushing through the base routine. It seems like I was holding in place and the gains have been very minimal but last Friday I was off and got in a great upper body workout adding weightin all areas and felt like I really pushed it for a change.I've been at it for 5 months and most of the first 3 were beset with injuriesthat would keep me from doing certain exercises or even upper body for a month once. I feel very good now with only some slight discomfort occasionally.I've made great gains in retrospect in weight, endurance and overall look and if I could just stick to the diet a little better I would probably see alot more. I do balancethat thought with knowing that I don't want to do this to the point of being miserable either.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I eased up juuuuuust a bit last month but I'm still keeping a regular schedule. I haven't done any real runs lately, so I'm going to throw in a "long" one Wednesday night to make sure I still know how to do it. I also decided I'm doing abs every other day no matter what, instead of the two times a week I've been doing them.

I went to Karate 4 times last week and again tonight. Didn't do much else last week, but ran after class tonight, 2.5 miles in about 22 minutes or so.

went for a 4 hour bike ride up the flank trail, first real epic of the year and my ass hurts like hell today so i'm just going to sit in the sun and drink caesers today
i got that from spin class
cardio is never a problem but sometimes getting the weights in can be.
I'm the total opposite i'd rather do weights than cardio

A few questions....I did the same work out yesterday that I did Friday. On Fri, I did all the reps with no problem and was feeling great. Yesterday, I struggled to get my full 3x10 on a few of them. Is this common?How long should I rest between sets?When do you step up in weight?Even with struggling last night, I'm not really sore today. Why not?

A few questions....I did the same work out yesterday that I did Friday. On Fri, I did all the reps with no problem and was feeling great. Yesterday, I struggled to get my full 3x10 on a few of them. Is this common?How long should I rest between sets?When do you step up in weight?Even with struggling last night, I'm not really sore today. Why not?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/04/pennsylva...ting/index.html wow...crazy stuff. What kinda loser would do something like that?
dunno if this is convention but I rest about 1 min between sets and i step up in weight when I can do 10 to 12 reps of the previous weight.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/04/pennsylva...ting/index.html wow...crazy stuff. What kinda loser would do something like that?
crazy guy
I did the Janda sit ups and planks for the first time last night. They hurt so good.First, I did a bike work out: 5 min warm up, 35 min (a lil over 10 miles), and 2 min cool down.
Okay, I got a new magazine in the mail called Outside last month and it's a pretty cool magazine withlots of cool Gear and articles. I don't know why they are mailing them to me other than the suckerstamp on the packaging. I got 2 more last Friday and came across this article on their website. Thisarticle along with some on the magazine have convinced me that I need to change things up and do morecore exercises instead of the circuit machine at my house.He has a 5 month plan that I am pretty much intending to give a whirl. The mag has a ton ofexercises that don't entail heavy weights and minimal equipment. The articlehttp://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/2..._your_life.htmlA new purchase to work on the core. ($79) on ebay.https://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WSer...bosu/story.htmlHere is another link for the first monthhttp://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/2...5_workout_2.adpI also will have to switch up some of the exercises. I turn 49 in October and by the end of the year plan to be in the top shape ever.avsfan, get ready i'm going to need help with this!
Okay, I got a new magazine in the mail called Outside last month and it's a pretty cool magazine withlots of cool Gear and articles. I don't know why they are mailing them to me other than the suckerstamp on the packaging. I got 2 more last Friday and came across this article on their website. Thisarticle along with some on the magazine have convinced me that I need to change things up and do morecore exercises instead of the circuit machine at my house.He has a 5 month plan that I am pretty much intending to give a whirl. The mag has a ton ofexercises that don't entail heavy weights and minimal equipment. The articlehttp://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/2..._your_life.htmlA new purchase to work on the core. ($79) on ebay.https://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WSer...bosu/story.htmlHere is another link for the first monthhttp://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/2...5_workout_2.adpI also will have to switch up some of the exercises. I turn 49 in October and by the end of the year plan to be in the top shape ever.avsfan, get ready i'm going to need help with this!
Functional Movements is a big thing for Paul Chek, who I have mentioned on here before. I have a friend who is way into this and working out with him is crazy. I am trying to getmy self ready for some workouts with him in the near future, but he does some of the craziest workouts that pick apart your body. Here is a link to Paul Chek:
The guy is awesome.
Do you ever get your bodyfat percentages?
guess i should at some point but I can still see where I need to lose fat. I can prob look more decent at 185. I'm sure I could do it at the gym that I go to.
lololol. Its a good rush though eh?
It was alright, I mean I was more pissed off that I couldn't stop it from happening than I was in pain. Face is kind of sore today and I have some bruises and stuff but ya, mostly annoyed about not having good defense.
Muay thai today. It turns out that when people punch you in the face and kick you in the stomach, it hurts. Strange I know.
sweep the teep kick, left or right kick to back of leg, right or left hook, fatality
It was alright, I mean I was more pissed off that I couldn't stop it from happening than I was in pain. Face is kind of sore today and I have some bruises and stuff but ya, mostly annoyed about not having good defense.
That's alright, you're just starting out, you will learn quickly. Seriously though, the best defense is a good offense.
Functional Movements is a big thing for Paul Chek, who I have mentioned on here before. I have a friend who is way into this and working out with him is crazy. I am trying to getmy self ready for some workouts with him in the near future, but he does some of the craziest workouts that pick apart your body. Here is a link to Paul Chek:
The guy is awesome.
I looked through a bunch of his stuff and it's pretty much what I'm going for. I have a bunch of good stuff from the articles above as well.I added a squat workout and lunges. The lunges I did walking 2x20 steps while holding a 10 lb dumbell above my head with my arm straight.My workout was Lunges as describedSquats 4 exercises with no weights.Leg curls 3x15x75calves 3x15 x 150 (on leg press machine) angledback exercises holding 25 lb plate 3x15 on the umm, what's it called seat. 2 x 25 janda situpsrode the bike 13 miles lst night as well.

I did a great leg workout on Saturday as wellRode bike to warm up for 5 minutesSquats 3x12 at 135 intermingled with Deadlifts 3x12 at 135Lunges as RR described but with 15lb overhead 3x20 alternate arm after 10Hamstring Curls (is that what they're called) 3x12Calves 3x15 at 100 (standing Calf Machine)2x30 Janda SitupsVery Similar Randy .... maybe we are reading the same books :club:

I did a great leg workout on Saturday as wellRode bike to warm up for 5 minutesSquats 3x12 at 135 intermingled with Deadlifts 3x12 at 135Lunges as RR described but with 15lb overhead 3x20 alternate arm after 10Hamstring Curls (is that what they're called) 3x12Calves 3x15 at 100 (standing Calf Machine)2x30 Janda SitupsVery Similar Randy .... maybe we are reading the same books :club:
Damn, does look similar. I did upper body Sunday.dumbell chest presscable chest flysupright cable rows. (that doesn't sound right) for the shoulders.bent over cable flys-deltsseated rows (back)tricep extensionsbicep curlstaking the day off and hitting the treadmill Tuesday, lower body Wed, cardio Thurs, upper Fri, cardio Sat, lower SundayI'm adding this squat workout to the lower body regimenhttp://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/2...ct-squat-2.htmland should be getting the bosu sometime soon so I'll have to figure out how to do that.My new goal is to enter a biathalon when i'm 50. (Bike and run). I have 15 months to train. The next three monthsi'm going to focus on core and endurance more. I figure the only way I'll really get to where I want to physicallyis to just go for the gusto and attempt to over-achieve.

Got back to it last night. Did the workout avsfan created for me. Did some light (walking) cardio over the weekend too.I did much less weight this time, I did not want to burn out in two weeks again, even though last time I thought it was light enough.

Starting Stronglifts 5x5 tonight. Probably going to throw in 20 minutes or so of cardio afterwards - I'm thinking rowing machine.

I ordered a bosu (which can be seen at www.bosu.com). I'm planning on usingit to do some core exercises and work on balance etc. It came in the mail yesterdaybut half the damn thing was missing. Ugh, ebay. Anyway they did say they are shippingthe rest today so whatever.I did get new running shoes, Adidas Supernova Sequence. They were a top rated runningshoe on outsideonline's reviews and I must say I really like them. My old ones were about8 years old and driving me nuts.Ran on the treadmill this morning and switched up the routine slightly adding more speed on a couple levels and adding more incline earlier.So far this week (all 2 days) i've done good on the diet and kept it good in the evenings.