Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Then everyone learned BJJ, royce had no chance against Matt Huges because their JJ skills were almost even and Matt was a much bigger dude.
Royce was well past his prime. Having a superior submission wrestling base with a functional knowledge (purple belt level) of jiu-jitsu is preferable in today's MMA (in my opinion)
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Royce was well past his prime. Having a superior submission wrestling base with a functional knowledge (purple belt level) of jiu-jitsu is preferable in today's MMA (in my opinion)
with respect, imo if you had Royce and Matt huges both in their primes, Matt would win easily just based on his size and physical conditioning. I agree with the 2nd comment. It does intrigue me though how Machida avoids grappling in his fights. I think he's proficient in BJJ but doesn't want to use it since his Karate is so much better? I think guys like Machida are the future of UFC. Most guys are good at BJJ and punching but lack good kicking skills. I think the best way to fight is to keep your opponent away with kicks, punch only if you have to then go to the ground as the last option. Of course GSP fights the exact opposite and takes opponents down whenever he can since that's where he's good. Most of his punches come from when he's in a dominant position on the ground, he tries not to duke it out Liddell style since you can get knocked the **** out. GSP is smart, lessens the luck component. Although I think if he could kick like Machida, GSP would be even better.
Interesting. I guess because you get no breaks in grappling. whereas in standup, you can dance around for a bit to recoup.that's amazing. the best chance is to get the instructor is prob to be the last of the ten. did he fight the big guys first? size and power can compensate a bit for lack of skill I would imagine.
Coming from about 12 years of greco-roman wrestling and about 6 years of freestyle wrestling...skill can make up for a lot of size difference. In high school our coach was a small guy, ~140 pounds, but would routinely wrestle everybody up to our 215 pounder and still dominate. I think the only person that ever beat him was our 152 pounder who was a two time state champ, runner up, and I think a 3rd place and would go to college and eventually 2 time national champ (D3) in college.
with respect, imo if you had Royce and Matt huges both in their primes, Matt would win easily just based on his size and physical conditioning. I agree with the 2nd comment. It does intrigue me though how Machida avoids grappling in his fights. I think he's proficient in BJJ but doesn't want to use it since his Karate is so much better? I think guys like Machida are the future of UFC. Most guys are good at BJJ and punching but lack good kicking skills. I think the best way to fight is to keep your opponent away with kicks, punch only if you have to then go to the ground as the last option. Of course GSP fights the exact opposite and takes opponents down whenever he can since that's where he's good. Most of his punches come from when he's in a dominant position on the ground, he tries not to duke it out Liddell style since you can get knocked the **** out. GSP is smart, lessens the luck component. Although I think if he could kick like Machida, GSP would be even better.
With respect, of course you think that because you have a karate background. I'm not saying it isn't right, but I'm sure if you asked 4 different people with differing backgrounds they'd all say that they think that their background is the most important.
Coming from about 12 years of greco-roman wrestling and about 6 years of freestyle wrestling...skill can make up for a lot of size difference. In high school our coach was a small guy, ~140 pounds, but would routinely wrestle everybody up to our 215 pounder and still dominate. I think the only person that ever beat him was our 152 pounder who was a two time state champ, runner up, and I think a 3rd place and would go to college and eventually 2 time national champ (D3) in college. With respect, of course you think that because you have a karate background. I'm not saying it isn't right, but I'm sure if you asked 4 different people with differing backgrounds they'd all say that they think that their background is the most important.
yah, no doubt skill can make up for size difference. I'm sure Pacquio (sp?) could knock me the **** out in boxing even though he's 140 and I'm 205. lol, you're right, I'm definitely biased towards karate. I'm not saying BJJ is not important though, I think to be successful you definitely need to be proficient at BJJ and wrestling. However, I do think the worst way to fight is standing up and duking it out with punches against your opponent.

Well since I'm from Kentucky I would vote for our style in one of these fights, known as tire tool. Still working out here. Last Sunday rode 23.5 miles on a nice little bike trip.Monday-offTuesday- Had dentist appt, but rode bike there in the morning and got 7 miles in for my cardio.Wed- Upper bodThurs- treadmill since upping my speed and incline it is slowly getting easier and this morning wasprobably my best run yet. (20 minutes, HIIT) I end the last minute 6.5 mph and a level 4 incline.I would like to say that all runs at a certain speed aren't the same. Sometimes I can be strugglingand others I can be blasting it. This morning was blasting it (for an old guy, lol). I'll admit that though I am doing well I need to work on the diet a tad. I can't seem to lose the last bit of belly that I want to go away. I'm also at the stage where successes are pretty minimaland hard to notice so I try not to get discouraged.The diet always starts out good. Morning shake. Tuna and whole wheat crackers for lunch. Turkey sandwhichor grilled chicken tenders on a salad about 3 but from there it gets murky. I usually am busy in the eveningsat work and sometimes squeeze a sandwhich in, sometimes not. I am usually sick chicken/turkey/tuna bythe time i get home at 9 pm and eat whatever. Sometimes it's reasonable, sometimes not. I just need toplan dinners and evening stuff better.

I agree. Diet is the hardest part for me and something that I think I would benefit the most from. However, I like good food and sometimes I feel that I can trade my bit of belly fat for an awesome meal that may contain a trillion calories. I usually have a good breakfast either yogurt and granola or eggs and toast. Lunch is usually a sandwhich although if I get bored I might have a carne asada burrito or something else that is not good. Dinner is hit and miss. If I cook, then the meal will be fairly balanced. But I don't always want to cook and the wife is not the best cook as her idea of cooking is ordering pizza. So sometimes we end up eating out at a restaurant or it will be like last night where I just went to Taco Bell to get dinner ... yuck (well yum because I love taco bell, but yuck because it is SOOOOOOO bad for you).Still sticking with my same workout. I can start to see some toning up of some muscles which is nice. Hopefully in the next month or so I will really start to see some results .. especially with the new leg routine (Thanks AVS!)

jits is great but really has morphed into submission wrestling as far as mma aplications are concerned.if you take gsp as an example, he really started to dominate once he worked more on his wrestling, that skill has allowed him to dicate where the fight takes place and be able to inflict damage without placing himself in too much riskonce he puts a guy on his back he can then choose whether to impliment and gnp attack or go for a sub, and as long as he can avoid a sub himself there is little chance of him taking much damage once he gets someone to that positionguys like machida are very hard to get close to, you can't strike him because he almost always seems out of range and he has a very strong base and can avoid getting clinched (see tito fight)
I agree. Diet is the hardest part for me and something that I think I would benefit the most from. However, I like good food and sometimes I feel that I can trade my bit of belly fat for an awesome meal that may contain a trillion calories. I usually have a good breakfast either yogurt and granola or eggs and toast. Lunch is usually a sandwhich although if I get bored I might have a carne asada burrito or something else that is not good. Dinner is hit and miss. If I cook, then the meal will be fairly balanced. But I don't always want to cook and the wife is not the best cook as her idea of cooking is ordering pizza. So sometimes we end up eating out at a restaurant or it will be like last night where I just went to Taco Bell to get dinner ... yuck (well yum because I love taco bell, but yuck because it is SOOOOOOO bad for you).Still sticking with my same workout. I can start to see some toning up of some muscles which is nice. Hopefully in the next month or so I will really start to see some results .. especially with the new leg routine (Thanks AVS!)
I just had some sushi for lunch. I try to control what I eat during the weekday but on the weekends I usually go nuts. My weight is usually around 205 weekends and 201 to 202 weekdays. I should try to discipline myself more and try to drop to 190 where I'd be fairly lean. I've stopped taking my protein shakes and creatine due to laziness, maybe I should get back on it soon.
jits is great but really has morphed into submission wrestling as far as mma aplications are concerned.if you take gsp as an example, he really started to dominate once he worked more on his wrestling, that skill has allowed him to dicate where the fight takes place and be able to inflict damage without placing himself in too much riskonce he puts a guy on his back he can then choose whether to impliment and gnp attack or go for a sub, and as long as he can avoid a sub himself there is little chance of him taking much damage once he gets someone to that positionguys like machida are very hard to get close to, you can't strike him because he almost always seems out of range and he has a very strong base and can avoid getting clinched (see tito fight)
yah, both GSP and Machida are probably the least damaged guys in UFC. GSP gets hit more since he's usually in closer range but I don't think he's ever been knocked out. Matt Serra beat him TKO but I don't think GSP has ever been lights out. Machida is definitely the least touched of all the fighters which is why I think his style is the best (also because I know karate lol)
yah, no doubt skill can make up for size difference. I'm sure Pacquio (sp?) could knock me the **** out in boxing even though he's 140 and I'm 205. lol, you're right, I'm definitely biased towards karate. I'm not saying BJJ is not important though, I think to be successful you definitely need to be proficient at BJJ and wrestling. However, I do think the worst way to fight is standing up and duking it out with punches against your opponent.
I'm going to go out on a limb that suggest that no martial art's base is "go out there and take punches to the face". I think karate gets a lot of credit for Machida's success even though Machida is ridiculously well rounded
Well since I'm from Kentucky I would vote for our style in one of these fights, known as tire tool. Still working out here. Last Sunday rode 23.5 miles on a nice little bike trip.Monday-offTuesday- Had dentist appt, but rode bike there in the morning and got 7 miles in for my cardio.Wed- Upper bodThurs- treadmill since upping my speed and incline it is slowly getting easier and this morning wasprobably my best run yet. (20 minutes, HIIT) I end the last minute 6.5 mph and a level 4 incline.I would like to say that all runs at a certain speed aren't the same. Sometimes I can be strugglingand others I can be blasting it. This morning was blasting it (for an old guy, lol). I'll admit that though I am doing well I need to work on the diet a tad. I can't seem to lose the last bit of belly that I want to go away. I'm also at the stage where successes are pretty minimaland hard to notice so I try not to get discouraged.The diet always starts out good. Morning shake. Tuna and whole wheat crackers for lunch. Turkey sandwhichor grilled chicken tenders on a salad about 3 but from there it gets murky. I usually am busy in the eveningsat work and sometimes squeeze a sandwhich in, sometimes not. I am usually sick chicken/turkey/tuna bythe time i get home at 9 pm and eat whatever. Sometimes it's reasonable, sometimes not. I just need toplan dinners and evening stuff better.
This is probably my biggest struggle diet-wise. When I get home, especially if my wife is not feeling like cooking something, or wants to go out for something, I end up either eating garbage or eating good but a ton of it. Thus, I am treading water on the weight loss, still around 220 +/- ~2. On my way to my first karate lesson in about an hour. Partially motivated by the members of this thread, I finally went up to the local dojo where several of my family members have trained and got invited to a free trial lesson. I'm really looking forward to it.
I'm going to go out on a limb that suggest that no martial art's base is "go out there and take punches to the face". I think karate gets a lot of credit for Machida's success even though Machida is ridiculously well rounded
Grinder, do you have a problem with me? The only times you respond to my comments are in a semi douchy way. If you've got a problem with me, pm me.Seriously, did i say what I bolded? There are some guys that like to stand up and mainly punch and duke it out e.g. Chuck Liddell and most recently the Michael Bisping and Henderson match. I think that's the most stupid way to fight. You fight like GSP and take it to the ground or like Machida from the outside where it's really hard for a guy to knock you out.
Grinder, do you have a problem with me? The only times you respond to my comments are in a semi douchy way. If you've got a problem with me, pm me.Seriously, did i say what I bolded? There are some guys that like to stand up and mainly punch and duke it out e.g. Chuck Liddell and most recently the Michael Bisping and Henderson match. I think that's the most stupid way to fight. You fight like GSP and take it to the ground or like Machida from the outside where it's really hard for a guy to knock you out.
Not to speak for MJ but he's not picking on you. He generally just makes short points without much regard to who posted it. I like that he does that. Don't take it personally, it wasn't meant to be.
didn't really mean to be a dick, but i probably didn't really phrase my idea very well. I was just trying to say that nearly every style of martial arts probably strives to avoid taking damage. Also, chuck liddell's old style was pretty absurdly dominant, he took almost zero damage for multiple years BECAUSE his striking was so good, he avoided the ground game with an amazing sprawl and was always a counter puncher. He didn't put himself out there, he usually waited for his opponent to do that, so I think he's a bad example. As for Bisping Henderson, I think it was a perfectly fine way for Henderson to fight, although it didn't really matter what he did, he was 10x better at all aspects of mma. However, Bisping's game plan of sticking his chin out vs. a dude who knocked out prime wanderlei Silva was not very goot.edit: and ya i agree that gsp's style is such that he'll probably not lose a fight at 170 for a really long time unless he gets flash ko'ed or something.

chuck "boxed" mma style against guys who thought you could go toe to toe with him "boxing" stylethe gloves are smaller so you are vulnerable to more punches in mma and traditional boxing defence doesn't work, sitting back and being a good counter puncher with good lateral movement is great in mma if the guy is just coming right at youlook at how bad joe stevenson does in the striking because he sticks to a straight boxing stylesame reason guys like jardine were getting wins, either really good or really bad

Not to speak for MJ but he's not picking on you. He generally just makes short points without much regard to who posted it. I like that he does that. Don't take it personally, it wasn't meant to be.
fair enough, just seems like he likes to come in and make sarcastic comments at things I say, as i can see from his post he didn't mean it. It's just that it wasn't the first time.
didn't really mean to be a dick, but i probably didn't really phrase my idea very well. I was just trying to say that nearly every style of martial arts probably strives to avoid taking damage. Also, chuck liddell's old style was pretty absurdly dominant, he took almost zero damage for multiple years BECAUSE his striking was so good, he avoided the ground game with an amazing sprawl and was always a counter puncher. He didn't put himself out there, he usually waited for his opponent to do that, so I think he's a bad example. As for Bisping Henderson, I think it was a perfectly fine way for Henderson to fight, although it didn't really matter what he did, he was 10x better at all aspects of mma. However, Bisping's game plan of sticking his chin out vs. a dude who knocked out prime wanderlei Silva was not very goot.edit: and ya i agree that gsp's style is such that he'll probably not lose a fight at 170 for a really long time unless he gets flash ko'ed or something.
Alright, glad you didn't mean to be a dick. See, the above was a much better way to put it. I agree with most of what you say. I still think the stand up punching it out style is not that great because you are more vulnerable to getting clipped vs. taking a guy down first then raining down punches or staying at a distance and kicking a guy so he can't knock you out because he's on the defensive. Of course anything can happen but if you are in close or far away, it's much harder for your opponent to knock you out. I think to have longevity in mma, it's important that you get hit as little as possible. Concussions definitely take their toll. Chuck was one of the best but he's put himself out there to get knocked out and has been knocked out. It's the risk of his style of fighting.
chuck "boxed" mma style against guys who thought you could go toe to toe with him "boxing" stylethe gloves are smaller so you are vulnerable to more punches in mma and traditional boxing defence doesn't work, sitting back and being a good counter puncher with good lateral movement is great in mma if the guy is just coming right at youlook at how bad joe stevenson does in the striking because he sticks to a straight boxing stylesame reason guys like jardine were getting wins, either really good or really bad
Machida would kill Jardine and any guy whose main weapon is punching. They would never get close enough to hit him as he rains down kicks on them. Basically, imo, GSP's and Machida's fighting styles are the future of ufc. Guys that want to be champ will have to adopt more of their style. Those 2 guys will retain their titles for a long time. Alright, I think I've beaten this topic to death. on another note, Silva or Griffin at ufc 100?I think Silva will easily defeat Griffin.
on another note, Silva or Griffin at ufc 100?I think Silva will easily defeat Griffin.
silva is a muay thai guy first, forest is gonna get worked
silva is a muay thai guy first, forest is gonna get worked
I'm not 100% sold on this, I think Silva will probably win too but I can def see this being an awesome/close fight. Forrest doesn't get a ton of credit because he's so self-deprecating but he's beat some very good fighters at 205
I'm not 100% sold on this, I think Silva will probably win too but I can def see this being an awesome/close fight. Forrest doesn't get a ton of credit because he's so self-deprecating but he's beat some very good fighters at 205
i think forest is too slow to hang with anderson in a straight striking battle, i've alwasy thought silva was weak on the ground but i don't think forest can take it there with any confidence
i've alwasy thought silva was weak on the ground but i don't think forest can take it there with any confidence
From what fights did you do draw this conclusion? He's a black belt under Minotauro and RNC'd a very tough to submit Dan Henderson. His striking skills are so devastating that his jiu-jitsu becomes secondary and underrated.
From what fights did you do draw this conclusion? He's a black belt under Minotauro and RNC'd a very tough to submit Dan Henderson. His striking skills are so devastating that his jiu-jitsu becomes secondary and underrated.
Pretty sure he got Lutter in a triangle too.

Forrest definitely has a chance. Is Silva a natural 205 or a natural 185? I think Forrest is a natural light heavyweight, if Silva is not, Forrest will have a size advantage. Silva's skill is superb though, Forrest isn't a smart fighter which he admits but regardless it should be a good match. Forrest won't be scared to make it an interesting fight. I can't wait to see it.Oh yah, going to play squash tonight, maybe get in some chest work. Then off to Earl's or Hooters for drinks then maybe see some rippers! oh yah. It's friday!!!!!!!!!

yes i know he is a black belt, but there are different types of black belts and i don't think anderson is a demian maia type of black belt, both silva's losses were to submissions, of course chonan busting out the flying heel hook was exceptionalhis fight with dan was pretty average at best and dan gassing doesn't give anderson a jj notch in his belt in my books, same as lutter who if he trained properly for the fight could have had a real chance imoi'm hoping for a maia v silva fight once demian gets about 2 more matches under his belt, i would like to see if my ground theory is right
Forrest definitely has a chance. Is Silva a natural 205 or a natural 185? I think Forrest is a natural light heavyweight, if Silva is not, Forrest will have a size advantage. Silva's skill is superb though, Forrest isn't a smart fighter which he admits but regardless it should be a good match. Forrest won't be scared to make it an interesting fight. I can't wait to see it.Oh yah, going to play squash tonight, maybe get in some chest work. Then off to Earl's or Hooters for drinks then maybe see some rippers! oh yah. It's friday!!!!!!!!!
I think Silva is a real big middleweight so he seems to be pretty average at 205, while Griffin is a huge 205. He should def have the size and strength advantage I think.
I think Silva is a real big middleweight so he seems to be pretty average at 205, while Griffin is a huge 205. He should def have the size and strength advantage I think.
I'd like Griffin to win but my gut tells me Silva will. Well, didn't work out last night, ended up putting together lots of furniture for the new office but still went for drink and rippers last night. Played squash this morning though and worked bit on chest again. Didn't have a spot so was repping 205 and didn't go up to 225 like I can when I have a spot.