Official I Joined A Gym Thread

I guess since I'm a chick I don't really do weights. Although I probably should to tone my arms.I start off with 20 minutes of running track and then start with the abs.
Any specific runs you do or just general warm up/cool down on the track?
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any specific runs you do or just general warm up/cool down on the track?
I start off with jogging and once I warm up, I sprint. Then I go back to jogging. I repeat this cycle several times until I feel like my limbs are on fire. Thats when I know my muscles aren't getting enough oxygen so I stop running and take a breather.
The most I would tolerate is probably getting bruised. I used to train in Karate for several years and I would get banged up but never break anything. The broken noses, ribs and seperated ligaments is prob too much for me. Glad ur a nice dude. :club: When I drink tequila I usually get smashed.
i could quite honestly do without popping the ligs and tendons, they are a pain to heal and are going to f me up in the future i know it, but you only live once right?
I start off with jogging and once I warm up, I sprint. Then I go back to jogging. I repeat this cycle several times until I feel like my limbs are on fire. Thats when I know my muscles aren't getting enough oxygen so I stop running and take a breather.
great way to work, try and really think about your heart rate as the indicator, you want to really get it up there with the sprints and then come back to a high resting with the jog
i could quite honestly do without popping the ligs and tendons, they are a pain to heal and are going to f me up in the future i know it, but you only live once right?
yah, no doubt. Live your life to the fullest. Do you teach BJJ for a living? I played 20 min. of squash with the wife today, not much of a workout at all lol. Then did some back work with a few sets of bench. Ran 2 miles. Went to a bday party and drank 6 beers and ate a lot. So, I'm lucky if i don't gain weight today.
yah, no doubt. Live your life to the fullest.
i'll be damned if i'm sitting in a hospital bed at 90 dying of nothing
Do you teach BJJ for a living?
i teach mma more than straight bjj and the jits stuff i do is much more no gi than gi, though i have a couple friends that do gi with menot for a living no, i do it cause i enjoy it and enjoy teaching in and it keeps me in shape, and everyone once in a while i get to be in the guard of some ridiculously hot chick as she tries to triangle me
Then did some back work with a few sets of bench.
think you mean chest
i'll be damned if i'm sitting in a hospital bed at 90 dying of nothingi teach mma more than straight bjj and the jits stuff i do is much more no gi than gi, though i have a couple friends that do gi with menot for a living no, i do it cause i enjoy it and enjoy teaching in and it keeps me in shape, and everyone once in a while i get to be in the guard of some ridiculously hot chick as she tries to triangle methink you mean chest
Or you could demonstrate on a ridiculously hot chick the full mount. :)No, I mean back work. I normally never do back and chest same day but on sundays I workout with another guy that only works out at most once a week. He wanted to do some bench after working out back so I did a few sets with him. so, ever think of trying to make it to the ufc? I'd love to try to fight GSP, Silva or Machida just for fun. I'm a light heavyweight naturally so GSP is way out of my weight class, although he'd obv. still kick my ass. I'd love to fight in the UFC just once and hopefully win. I don't want to get knocked out though. :club:

Did sprints again tonight. 12 of about 50 yards or so, with a minute rest in between. 800m warm up/cool down. It's funny how slow I am by the last few sprints. If somebody were to walk up and just see my last one, they would mock me for being slow and dumb.

I haven't quit working out. I've been lifting at least three times a week this summer. Not enough but it's all I can get in when I work a normal job then paint on my own at night. I've been taking avsfan's advice on working alternate muscle groups. I'm not doing it right yet but I'm slowly altering my routine.In this order:dumbbell press 4x8single arm dumbbell row with one leg on the ground and the other knee on the bench (don't know the real name) 4x8cable flys 4x10cable crossovers 4x10pullups 4x to failureupright barbell row 4x8tricep pull down 4x10dumbell curls 3x10weighted dips 4x10single arm preacher curl 4x645 degree lateral raises 3x8I like this routine fairly well. Does anyone have any suggestions? The sets and reps change every two weeks or so.I haven't been running at all. I would rather use my exercise time to lift instead of run. Once school starts again this fall I'll get back into it.I'm glad to see that most everyone is still here working hard.

Or you could demonstrate on a ridiculously hot chick the full mount. :club:
would more likely take her back and get my hooks in then go for the rear naked
No, I mean back work. I normally never do back and chest same day but on sundays I workout with another guy that only works out at most once a week. He wanted to do some bench after working out back so I did a few sets with him.
got it
so, ever think of trying to make it to the ufc? I'd love to try to fight GSP, Silva or Machida just for fun. I'm a light heavyweight naturally so GSP is way out of my weight class, although he'd obv. still kick my ass. I'd love to fight in the UFC just once and hopefully win. I don't want to get knocked out though. :ts
nah i'm waaay to old for that now, *potential name drop, but i am friends with one of the guys that was on tuf a couple years ago and is training at ATT now so i live vicariously through his fights now

gonna roll in about an hour, should be awesome, out in the sun again

I'd love to fight in the UFC just once and hopefully win. I don't want to get knocked out though. :club:
Honestly you would probably get knocked the fuck out. Not saying it as a bad thing, as I'm sure I would too. But most of those guys live, drink, breathe, sleep, and eat MMA. That is all they do and even the worst fighters would dominate a recreational fighter such as you or me.Did legs yesterday in accordance with AVS suggestions. It's been awhile since I worked out the legs and they are pretty sore today. I actually forgot that I enjoy leg workouts. I know this will improve over the next few weeks and then I can really start to work my legs.
Honestly you would probably get knocked the fuck out. Not saying it as a bad thing, as I'm sure I would too. But most of those guys live, drink, breathe, sleep, and eat MMA. That is all they do and even the worst fighters would dominate a recreational fighter such as you or me.Did legs yesterday in accordance with AVS suggestions. It's been awhile since I worked out the legs and they are pretty sore today. I actually forgot that I enjoy leg workouts. I know this will improve over the next few weeks and then I can really start to work my legs.
yah, i know I prob would get knocked the **** out. fun to imagine though. My fighting style is more like Machida's since I have a Karate base. I know some very basic grappling but let's just say I'd rather not be doing that in a match if I don't have to.
Gooch, Who do you train under?Was in Vegas last week, was still able to get some decent workouts in at the Palazzo. Back to the regular regimen of 5x5 and jiu-jitsu. I'll post my numbers this week.
i don't train under anyone with any regularity right now due to no time to go to the cityi get help with my technique from a buddy who trained for some time under marcus soares http://www.marcussoares.com/and i drop in on universal mma under denis kang, and 10th planet in victoria once and a while, because i'm in such a small town most of what i get i learn i spread around and visa versa
yah, i know I prob would get knocked the **** out. fun to imagine though. My fighting style is more like Machida's since I have a Karate base. I know some very basic grappling but let's just say I'd rather not be doing that in a match if I don't have to.
i find grappling to be the much harder cardio workout, i kick boxed for years and had no problem sparring for 12 rounds so i thought i would do okay the first time i rolled, i lasted 3 minutes before i was gassed
i find grappling to be the much harder cardio workout, i kick boxed for years and had no problem sparring for 12 rounds so i thought i would do okay the first time i rolled, i lasted 3 minutes before i was gassed
As I said before I used to go to a grappling class when I did kenpo. We had this instructor who was awesome. We would do all the basic techniques and do some grappling. THen at the end of class he would go down the line and wrestle everyone in class. There were usually 8 - 10 of us. He would usually be able to tap each of us out, but it always amazed me that he could get through ten matches. I only came close to getting him once, but there was one military kid there who got him a couple of times and then there was another bigger dude that got him once I think.Good times, makes me want to get back into it ... but there is not enough time for me to do it realistically anymore.
Interesting. I guess because you get no breaks in grappling. whereas in standup, you can dance around for a bit to recoup.
As I said before I used to go to a grappling class when I did kenpo. We had this instructor who was awesome. We would do all the basic techniques and do some grappling. THen at the end of class he would go down the line and wrestle everyone in class. There were usually 8 - 10 of us. He would usually be able to tap each of us out, but it always amazed me that he could get through ten matches. I only came close to getting him once, but there was one military kid there who got him a couple of times and then there was another bigger dude that got him once I think.Good times, makes me want to get back into it ... but there is not enough time for me to do it realistically anymore.
that's amazing. the best chance is to get the instructor is prob to be the last of the ten. did he fight the big guys first? size and power can compensate a bit for lack of skill I would imagine.
that's amazing. the best chance is to get the instructor is prob to be the last of the ten. did he fight the big guys first? size and power can compensate a bit for lack of skill I would imagine.
It was really just random picks usually. Sometimes he would fight the higher skilled and bigger guys first and sometimes he would wait till the end. He did it alot for his own training so i don't think he wanted to short change himself by picking the harder fights first.
Interesting. I guess because you get no breaks in grappling. whereas in standup, you can dance around for a bit to recoup.
i think it because unlike kickboxing the other person has much more to do with how tired you get, one the the super strong guys i roll with i try and tire him out as much as i can because unless i do he can power out of almost anythingits why royce used to do well against much bigger guys in the early ufc, he would gas them and then take them later

Just had my first muay thai class. It was a ton of fun, my kicks were hilariously bad at the beginning but got a little better towards the end. They're still pretty bad overall, but I thought I did ok towards the end in all parts. We ended the class taking turns with our partner getting punched in the stomach as quickly as possible/punching our partner as quickly as possible. I was partners with an amateur fighter, and needless to say he hits very very hard. Even with pads, one of his high kicks caught me in the lip, so I have a bit of a swollen lip. He also hit me while I was covering up, saying something like "and i'm not even hitting that hard" and it still rocked me a little. Needless to say I will never insult any mma fighter ever again because these dudes are insanely tough.

i think it because unlike kickboxing the other person has much more to do with how tired you get, one the the super strong guys i roll with i try and tire him out as much as i can because unless i do he can power out of almost anythingits why royce used to do well against much bigger guys in the early ufc, he would gas them and then take them later
Then everyone learned BJJ, royce had no chance against Matt Huges because their JJ skills were almost even and Matt was a much bigger dude.
Then everyone learned BJJ, royce had no chance against Matt Huges because their JJ skills were almost even and Matt was a much bigger dude.
for sure, there is a huge difference between early and late ufc, early was all about tma and late is much more athletes and total mma